Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This is also the correct rankings for the first nine Final Fantasies

Switch 8 and 4 and I actually agree, holy poo poo. Weird coincidence!

Edit: for reference

indigi posted:

FF5

never saw Hobbes and Shaw and probably never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Tomorrow War is really bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

indigi posted:

the Tomorrow War is really bad

yeah it's awful

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I just wish Chris Pratt would stop being in movies

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Tomorrow War sucks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I can’t believe I had to hear about it for a loving month on doughboys and then Mitch was in it for like three 45 second scenes

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I'm not really a fan of Britney Spears but this is the most enraging poo poo I've read in a long time
https://www.newyorker.com/news/american-chronicles/britney-spears-conservatorship-nightmare?utm_source=pocket-newtab

quote:

“Ma’am, my dad, and anyone involved in this conservatorship, and my management, who played a huge role in punishing me when I said no—Ma’am, they should be in jail.”

with what's in this long and really infuriating read I'm not inclined to disagree

honestly a whole thread could be made about this disgusting ordeal which is still going on

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

good news for those of you horrified by the britney spears conservatorship story

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1410966245894148097

legal authorities went above and beyond the call of duty to solve the problem

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
i think that this thread is aware that kojima has discovered the snyder cut

but if it doesn't know it should because :allears:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

3 4 5 6 7 8 9

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's jam.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

yo hobbs and shaw loving owned the whole transition from it being just before dawn when they started that whole big fight scene at the end to being midday when the helecopter chase happens was so quick it was impossible not to notice it. Then the movie going from clear skies and sunny before they fell off a cliff to pouring down rain after they fell off the cliff so that they could have the climactic fight scene in the rain. I get that this poo poo is common in these types of movies and that noticing it makes me lame but they didn't even try and make the scene transitions blend together to the point that I, someone who genuinely loves braindead movies that I can just sit back and not think about, noticed them it loving owns so hard, there's probably a bunch of other stuff that I had forgotten about that made the movie even better but tbqh I don't remember what it is
6 has the runway that's, at minimum, five times longer than the longest runway in the world. at a certain point it's just "okay apparently this is happening, sweet"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

was the first Men in Black one of the last of truly liberal fantasies before we switched to neoliberal fantasies?

like the idea that secretly behind the scenes Earth is actually a massive refugee camp and we're like among the most moral species in the universe for it is some incredible We Can Remember It for You Wholesale vibes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the new one annoyed me but i dont remember anything about it at all so i cant remember why

MIB1 is a classic though

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

was the first Men in Black one of the last of truly liberal fantasies before we switched to neoliberal fantasies?

like the idea that secretly behind the scenes Earth is actually a massive refugee camp and we're like among the most moral species in the universe for it is some incredible We Can Remember It for You Wholesale vibes

No wonder that film is set in New York.
That basically what the Dutch Founders of New York turned New York into.
Just a place where everybody is welcomed.

http://www.textbooksfree.org/American%20nations.htm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The best dumb thing about the Tomorrow War is that at the beginning of the movie they make a big deal about how the people being drafted to the future war come from all over the world, it's the first ever international draft with all governments cooperating. The United States Secretary of Defence even gives a speech to Chris Pratt's draftees saying wow you come from all over the world how wonderful. And then literally every character in the movie is American and later on they spend an entire scene just poo poo-talking the rest of the world and saying how only a small group of Americans with no people from other nationalities can save the world, unlike the effeminate United Nations or ineffective foreigners.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the dumbest thing about The Tomorrow War is that they’re apparently drafting scientists to send to the future to aid in research. for seven days. how the gently caress would that be in any way helpful, why not send the future researchers to the past so they aren’t doing high level genetic testing in a loving war zone and could have access to state of the art technology

(actually the dumbest thing is that they completely ignore the grandfather paradox until the climax which entirely depends on the grandfather paradox being a thing that exists and that they know about)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Went to Barnes and Noble today because they’re having a 50% off sale on the Criterion Collection. The selection was pretty poo poo but I did get The Passion of Joan of Arc, so that was pretty nice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/jacobdotgov/status/1412201963966676994

Good lord

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk how that demonstrates anything but studios’ disinterest in financing comedies which do poo poo overseas business

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

cant read that image very well on twitter so i uploaded it

describing crazy rich asians and sex and the city as comedies seems kind of odd to me granted i havent actually seen the former but the marketing made it look like a straight romance not a romantic comedy

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

i think that this thread is aware that kojima has discovered the snyder cut

but if it doesn't know it should because :allears:

two men who make overrated garbage when left to their own devices like each other's work

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

from those tweets it doesnt sound like kojima actually likes it so much as respects a fellow warrior

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its interesting that theres tons of low budget horror movies doing well all the time but the formula just doesnt work with comedies

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

its interesting that theres tons of low budget horror movies doing well all the time but the formula just doesnt work with comedies

comedies lean a lot more on having a big name to headline it, can't go super low budget when you're spending $20mil on actors

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do we actually have any big name film comedians anymore

kind of funny to think that if you told someone ten years ago that chris pratt would be a big star theyd probably think thats what hes doing and it would also be a significant improvement over whatever the gently caress hes doing right now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

kind of funny to think that if you told someone ten years ago that chris pratt would be a big star theyd probably think thats what hes doing and it would also be a significant improvement over whatever the gently caress hes doing right now

No they all go from stand up to HGH neanderthal.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

in addition to needing big name to headline it, you need a writer who’s actually funny. anyone who can write competently can write a passable horror script but for a comedy you need someone who can write jokes and those people all work on tv shows and tour over the summer.

that said there’s a decent amount of low budget comedies they just all get dropped on Netflix and Hulu and they suck so you never hear about them, there’s no “fandom” for those the way there is for horror movies cause even with a bad horror there could be some good stuff (effects, ideas, actors, cinematography, etc) in there. with a bad comedy it’s just bad

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
studios don't finance comedies because comedy doesn't always translate well to overseas markets and overseas markets are a way bigger share of expected income now than they were in 2008, that's it, that's the whole story

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

not quite studios produce fewer movies in general despite the market being larger because theyre currently operating on a quality over quantity approach the issue isnt that comedies dont make money its that they dont make money in a way that sets records and thats all anyone cares about now

i should note that i am using quality over quantity to describe investment and not aesthetic value obviously making movies more expensive to produce hasnt actually benefited anyone except the ones who are skimming off grift money

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
comedy in general has changed a lot with the internet too. i myself have posted on this very forum about how traditional jokes (e.g. "donald trump, barack obama, and the pope are on an airplane...") have been totally supplanted by memes and tweets. i can't prove it, but i wonder if it makes a difference that when people want to laugh at something, they can just pull up their instagram feed and watch a 30-second video and enjoy a sensible chuckle rather than shelling out for a stand-up show or a comedy movie. comedy is sort of social media's default genre

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Comedy, like laughter, is an act of violence.

Ergo, as a responsible curator of culture and a force of societal harmony, Hollywood has worked tirelessly to phase comedy out of American culture. Soon, we shall live in a society without laughter, and therefore, a society without violence.

Isn't it wonderful?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

That's missing Kubrick saying an early Warhammer 40k novel could have been the basis for a movie

If Games Workshop was smart they'd adept Caiphas Cain into stone kind of animated show or movie. I think that would be their best chance at mainstream success.

I also want to echo that Fast 9 did indeed own, just utterly insane, an excellent choice for a back to theater movie.

And I watched Fear Street Part 1 on Netflix yesterday and I think it was really good. It didn't seem to have the same kind if editing problems you see with a lot of Netflix movies. I'm looking forward to part 2

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theyre supposedly still making a fuckin prestige tv eisenhorn adaptation

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

vyelkin posted:

studios don't finance comedies because comedy doesn't always translate well to overseas markets and overseas markets are a way bigger share of expected income now than they were in 2008, that's it, that's the whole story

I think you'll find it's because you can't tell jokes anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

theyre supposedly still making a fuckin prestige tv eisenhorn adaptation

That sounds like a terrible idea. But like I said if they were smart