Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure what to make of the edgy new Ennis Batman joint yet, but Liam Sharp is fun on art:

pretty cool. shades of dave mckean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

scary ghost dog posted:

pretty cool. shades of dave mckean

I knew it reminded me of something! Thanks for that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's great to look at, but I feel like that kind of style doesn't lend itself well at all for dynamic comic book action. Everything just comes off looking very static, like, uh, a painting.

That said, if it's a story mainly focused on characters and psychology instead of action, like Morrison + McKean's Arkham Asylum, then it's perfect.

As a side note, I hate how the lettering looks contrasted against the art. Comics like this should really be hand-lettered in a style that fits the overall piece.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 22, 2021

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure what to make of the edgy new Ennis Batman joint yet, but Liam Sharp is fun on art:

I always loved Liam Sharpe. Sure, he's a Bisley clone/acolyte, but Biz doesn't do old-school Biz anymore, so it's good to see something like that. Also reminds me a bit of Sienkiewicz and yeah, McKean too, so I dig it. I guess I just have more of a distaste for the house Marvel/DC style now, where it all looks like a tracing of actors and Poser art.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Sharpe's an oddball, because when he started out in 2000AD he was aping Glenn Fabry to the point of straight-up tracing him (one of his characters in several frames of a Dredd story is Fabry's Slaine with a different haircut), then when Bisley hit the comic like a bomb he leapt all aboard the Biz-train.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I can't read Bisley's name without saying it like Damien Knox.

Bisleyyyyyyy
____________\

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Legs for weeks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Legs for weeks

If the woman in green ever bought pants she'd need a what? 22w60l?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
It’s stilt-man’s daughter right?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Skwirl posted:

She can commiserate with the dude in front of her who’s wearing a size 22 boot

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The legion of ill fitting clothes

The long legged midget brigade

The smelly crotch squad

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Skwirl posted:

To the big and tall shop!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

bessantj posted:

Legs for weeks

With the measurements right next to her we can also tell that she's about 4ft of leg and a little over 2ft of torso and head.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like it was ripped right out of this Terry Moore drawing feature from Wizard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And Cambell got all pissy when someone corrected the anatomy on one of his Mary Jane pieces.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

And Cambell got all pissy when someone corrected the anatomy on one of his Mary Jane pieces.

That’s an interesting interpretation of events.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is someone's avatar and until today I never realized it was from a real comic

I thought it was from that one thread where goons took turns Liefelding up an image. Wish I could find that thread. Considering making a similar one where we take turns redesigning a CHUD inspired American flag.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerBoat posted:

This is someone's avatar and until today I never realized it was from a real comic

I thought it was from that one thread where goons took turns Liefelding up an image. Wish I could find that thread. Considering making a similar one where we take turns redesigning a CHUD inspired American flag.

It's so weird how Jim Lee, Erick Larson and Rob Liefeld all have very similar art styles, but Lee and Larson are so, so much better artists.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

i think this spider-man costume was in the ps4 game lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

It’s been getting a lot of love recently, I think they made a new toy sculpt out of it too. Not bad for a one issue costume change to temporarily patch up a damaged spidey suit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Skwirl posted:

It's so weird how Jim Lee, Erick Larson and Rob Liefeld all have very similar art styles, but Lee and Larson are so, so much better artists.

I think a lot of it has to do with the Marvel "House Style" that they mandated in the 90's which led to the sort of poo poo that Herb Trimpe started cranking out along with other artists. I never cared all that much for Trimpe even before he was told to start copying Liefeld but his earlier stuff was way better. Also, a big difference is that Lee can actually loving draw so even though he cross hatched the poo poo out of everything to hell and back, his compositions, anatomy, use of contrast and proportions were always solid. He also drew backgrounds which helps a lot.

Jim Lee is good and I'm not sure I'd say his style was similar to Rob's all that much. They were just both big at the same time is all and are also lumped together because of Image comics. I'm not all that familiar with Larson.

What I'm saying is that that cover is loving god awful no matter who drew it and me mistaking it for a goon project is testament to that.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 5, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Spider-Man with a robot arm cover is a loving classic and intended to poke fun at prevalent art styles that Larsen was also participating in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't have a lot of love for that '90s art style at all anymore. Nor did I really get into it back in the day. Larsen was fine but I never really liked any of the other big names like Liefeld, McFarlane, Lee or Silvestri. Weird enough the two I liked most of that era, and still like looking back on today, are two who rarely get talked about anymore. Dale Keown and Whilce Portacio. I always considered Portacio to be doing the much better version of what everyone liked in Lee's art. And Keown's art is just loving great all around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

McFarlane Spider-Man is good, I'm not a huge fan of the Marvel Lee stuff, but he was good at making women with those insane proportions actually look powerful instead of just awkwardly posed

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All of them owe their style to Art Adams, regardless. Pretty incredible how much he influenced people but you don't hear his name brought up in those conversations too often.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

All of them owe their style to Art Adams, regardless. Pretty incredible how much he influenced people but you don't hear his name brought up in those conversations too often.

I recognized the name but it didn't immediately click. His wikipedia is hilarious

quote:

Nocenti described to Adams the concept for a miniseries she was writing, Longshot,[8] which had been turned down by every other artist she offered it to. Adams, now a couple of months before his twentieth birthday, did a series of preliminary design drawings, basing the main character's appearance and hairstyle on that of singer Limahl, and the female lead, Ricochet Rita, on Nocenti herself. The series was freelance-edited by Louise Simonson, and without a firm schedule, which provided Adams the time he needed to complete it.[9] This was due in part to his problems with perspective and other things he was not accustomed to drawing, such as windmills, babies and people smiling, and in part because he had to redraw the first half of it, as Ann Nocenti's story was so dense that the pages featured up to 20 panels.[1][2][3][7]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah it definitely is. It's amazing how deep that game pulls for alternate costumes. It's funny that the only one they don't have is black suit/Venom for story reasons.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I recognized the name but it didn't immediately click. His wikipedia is hilarious

Guy was drawing pages like this at 20. And taught himself how to draw.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Erik Larsen’s pretty open in regards to his influences, and constantly hires his peers to work on pages for his book. Guys like Art Adams, Herb Trimpe, and Walt Simonson all have done work on Savage Dragon backups/alt covers and Erik sings their praises every chance he gets.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 6, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it definitely is. It's amazing how deep that game pulls for alternate costumes. It's funny that the only one they don't have is black suit/Venom for story reasons.

For how much detail they have and the number of design changes done it's been impressive how many costumes Insomniac added compared to past games that had much simpler texture work and could often just be recolours. The original ones in the base game also came with unique powers that tried to fit the design (and thankfully could be swapped with any other costume).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Erik Larsen, I thought this was cool as heck. He recently hired Mike Royer to do a recreation of an old Jack Kirby cover for Dingbats of Danger St. He posted some process pics on Twitter, I love the decision to incorporate parts of the title and trade dress into the artwork as road signs.

https://twitter.com/erikjlarsen/status/1410791704861417474?s=21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Never was a fan of Savage Dragon but I can respect like hell a man who's spent the last 30 years making a living creating a comic book based on his personal tastes alone.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Some Galactus and other cosmic stuff, from his first appearances.

Fantastic Four #48 (1966)
Pencils: Jack Kirby
Inks: Joe Sinnott

Fantastic Four #49 (1966)

Fantastic Four #50 (1966)

Fantastic Four #51 (1966)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, I didn't know I needed that reminder of what made Jack Kirby such a big deal, but I appreciate it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Reed Richards is off to explore infinity and he brought a gun just in case he needs to put infinity in its place.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Darthemed posted:

Fantastic Four #48 (1966)

The Galactus Christmas Special

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Push El Burrito posted:

Reed Richards is off to explore infinity and he brought a gun just in case he needs to put infinity in its place.

I think that's actually Johnny; he's the one they send into Galactus' ship to get the Ultimate Nullifier.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #5 (2009)
Pencils: Ron Frenz
Inks: Sal Buscema

Captain Courageous Comics #6 (1942)
Pencils/Inks: Unknown

Jungle Action #1 (1972)
Pencils/Inks: Syd Shores

Our Flag Comics #5 (1942)
Pencils/Inks: George Mandel

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Keromaru5 posted:

I think that's actually Johnny; he's the one they send into Galactus' ship to get the Ultimate Nullifier.

Yes he does but the panel before shows Reed putting on the helmet and Johnny wasn't tethered to anything IIRC. Also his hair is brown and he's saying something not about cars or women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it looks like in addition to observing Earth the Watcher also spends his time lifting.