Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually agree -- maybe it would make sense to combine Y/O, S/K into just Sanyaku for subsequent basho for the time being? Especially Hak retires and we don't see any new Ozeki. Pretty thin pool. Might get thinner if Takakeisho's injury is bad enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We should get extra points if we can get the sanyaku injury right next basho.

Why do I trust Ishiura?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Requesting to trade Takakeisho for Shodai/Terunofuji/Hakuho in that priority order

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I need Wakatakakage to run the table from here on out :mad:

Also same. It's no fun having Hakuho as the only consistent points scorer on my team, GOAT or no, considering I'm left praying his knees won't explode again mid-basho.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Some dudes were saying Keisho stroked out or fainted or somesuch. It did look like he was nursing an arm injury when he was being wheeled out, but during the bout it definitely looked like he passed out to some extent. Ichinojo is a decent guy holding onto him at the end like that.

edit: apparently his stablemaster says neck injury. His bell got rang pretty badly on the taichai

I hope to God Hakuho can keep this up, it would be electrifying

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 5, 2021

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dias posted:

We should get extra points if we can get the sanyaku injury right next basho.

Why do I trust Ishiura?

Because he’s handsome, buff, and rocks a gold mawashi like the goddamn baller that he is.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Requesting to trade off Takakeisho, Terunofuji/Shodai/Hakuho please.

Never thought Hakuho would outlast anyone this time, loving Takakeisho

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
enho just can't catch a break :(

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Having watched the original “umm, that guy doesn’t know what year it is” rematch, and the fatal “This guy hasn’t moved in 3-4 minutes, let’s roll him over and maybe a doctor will eventually come” that led to the JSA taking head injuries somewhat seriously I’m glad they didn’t make Enho fight the rematch even if it personally sucks for him.

On the plus side, Hōshōryū has finally realized he’s both large and strong and doesn’t need to just rely on slick moves and fancy footwork to win. If he can keep this up while still pulling out the trips and throws when evenly matched he’s going to be an Ozeki next year.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i wish i could see hakuho at a 30% handicap without worrying about him having to go kyujo because his body literally won't let him fight. he's still the best out there and except maybe, maybe for terunofuji who i'd give a 40% chance to beat a 70% hakuho. it's absurd how good the guy is.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

As expected from that injury, Takakeisho is out of the tournament now. I don't know how long we need to be spoilertagging that, but there you go.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Teddybear posted:

As expected from that injury, Takakeisho is out of the tournament now. I don't know how long we need to be spoilertagging that, but there you go.

i think 24 hours is the informal limit on spoilers

i'm sad he's injured though. he had a hell of a basho in may and looked strong as hell day 1.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Would like to trade Takakeisho for the first available out of Terunofuji/Hakuho/Shodai.

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
I would also like to trade Takakeisho for Terunofuji/Hakuho/Shodai. :sigh:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I would also like to trade Takakeisho for Terunofuji/Hakuho/Shodai. He was my best guy last time too!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ugh, brutal to see Takakeisho get taken out like that. I really hope this is like a weird nerve pinch thing rather than serious damage to his neck. I'll also be trading for Teru/Hak/Shodai in that order.

In terms of how to deal with thin y/o ranks, if we have a basho with just like 2 y/o slots we'll just not restrict how many people can take a given wrestler. Y/O is the least important rank set in terms of potential points scored (because they don't qualify for kinboshi or special prizes), so I'm not too worried about it affecting competitiveness. Plus, the nature of the points economy is that if there are only 2 y/o ranked wrestlers ozeki runs become more common because there are more wins that will be allocated to the top non-y/o wrestlers. It'll resolve itself soon enough.

Anyway, all the trades posted so far will be registered for Day 3. The y/o rank will be opened to 1/2 of the field, which is also what I did with s/k because Takayasu was out.

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi

code:
8	scripterror
8	Skjorte
7	bartolimu
7	Everyones Favorite Poster
7	Lid
7	MyChemicalImbalance
6	Beeswax
6	Brut
6	captainblastum
6	Fluffdaddy
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	Shiroc
5	GoatSeeGuy
5	jmzero
5	Kenning
5	Khizan
5	Pakled
5	QuasiQuack
5	Scythe
5	Teddybear
5	Thauros
5	whats for dinner
4	Banana Canada
4	Biosys
4	Cage Kicker
4	Charles Gnarwin
4	Chinook
4	Crusty Nutsack
4	Dias
4	Liquid Communism
4	Maigius
4	MalarkeyToboggan
4	Marching Powder
4	Neodoomium
4	ratmosphere
4	Tiny Bug Child
4	Tochiazuma
4	Vargatron
3	anakha
3	bessantj
3	Ice Phisherman
3	Jobbo_Fett
3	Robviously
3	sivad
2	pseudodragon
Juryo

code:
6	Eli949
6	Halloween Jack
6	LlamaTrauma
6	TwoWordName
5	rare Magic card l00k
4	Bellwether
4	Communist Thoughts
4	KungFu Grip
4	Martytoof
4	Netsky
3	Foehammer007
3	ilmucche
3	Log082
2	Glugglugs
2	NuclearPotato

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

Also trading the injured Takakeisho for Terunofuji/Hakuho/Shodai

Not a great start!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sub Rosa posted:

Oh man I missed fantasy because I missed there is a new thread. RIP my rank.

If you wanna come in late put in a draft. It'll be like coming back from kyujo on day 4. Maybe preserve a bit of rank!

Netsky posted:

Also trading the injured Takakeisho for Terunofuji/Hakuho/Shodai

Not a great start!

This is technically a little late, but not very late, so it's also registered for day 3. I'll be going to bed soon though, so any more trades people need to do will be for day 4. I think only Foehammer007, Glugglugs, Helianthus Annuus still have Takakeisho. Only Hakuho and Shodai are available now (Teru filled up again).

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 6, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kenning posted:

Ugh, brutal to see Takakeisho get taken out like that. I really hope this is like a weird nerve pinch thing rather than serious damage to his neck.

Chris Sumo video said herniated c-spine and a badly pinched nerve.

IMO, he should also sit out September to get properly healed up and just take the drop to sekiwake, because if he's healthy he can definitely do 10 wins in December to get ozeki status back. However, my money is on him coming back in September to try and preserve the rank, and then going kyujo again.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

3-7 let's go. Send me down to makushita

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
okinoumi v Hoshoryu ruled

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ishiura, brother, come the gently caress on

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man, so many of my favourite guys that I declined to pick are doing really well, which rules. But it almost makes me regret going with AOIYAMA this time around. Still, trades are for those who lack fighting spirit.

Glugglugs
May 30, 2008
Ah dang it, I would also like to trade for Hakuho/Shodai if possible. Apparently Takakeisho had some kind of nasty spine hernia? Sounds truly awful, no wonder he was in such a bad way.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat a pretty brutal day of losses for my fantasy rikishi.

How do we know who we got if we traded out for poor taka?
Broke his drat neck in the ring

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kenning posted:

Ugh, brutal to see Takakeisho get taken out like that. I really hope this is like a weird nerve pinch thing rather than serious damage to his neck. I'll also be trading for Teru/Hak/Shodai in that order.

In terms of how to deal with thin y/o ranks, if we have a basho with just like 2 y/o slots we'll just not restrict how many people can take a given wrestler. Y/O is the least important rank set in terms of potential points scored (because they don't qualify for kinboshi or special prizes), so I'm not too worried about it affecting competitiveness. Plus, the nature of the points economy is that if there are only 2 y/o ranked wrestlers ozeki runs become more common because there are more wins that will be allocated to the top non-y/o wrestlers. It'll resolve itself soon enough.

Anyway, all the trades posted so far will be registered for Day 3. The y/o rank will be opened to 1/2 of the field, which is also what I did with s/k because Takayasu was out.

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi

code:
8	scripterror
8	Skjorte
7	bartolimu
7	Everyones Favorite Poster
7	Lid
7	MyChemicalImbalance
6	Beeswax
6	Brut
6	captainblastum
6	Fluffdaddy
6	Helianthus Annuus
6	Shiroc
5	GoatSeeGuy
5	jmzero
5	Kenning
5	Khizan
5	Pakled
5	QuasiQuack
5	Scythe
5	Teddybear
5	Thauros
5	whats for dinner
4	Banana Canada
4	Biosys
4	Cage Kicker
4	Charles Gnarwin
4	Chinook
4	Crusty Nutsack
4	Dias
4	Liquid Communism
4	Maigius
4	MalarkeyToboggan
4	Marching Powder
4	Neodoomium
4	ratmosphere
4	Tiny Bug Child
4	Tochiazuma
4	Vargatron
3	anakha
3	bessantj
3	Ice Phisherman
3	Jobbo_Fett
3	Robviously
3	sivad
2	pseudodragon
Juryo

code:
6	Eli949
6	Halloween Jack
6	LlamaTrauma
6	TwoWordName
5	rare Magic card l00k
4	Bellwether
4	Communist Thoughts
4	KungFu Grip
4	Martytoof
4	Netsky
3	Foehammer007
3	ilmucche
3	Log082
2	Glugglugs
2	NuclearPotato

I'm definitely working through a title hangover this basho. Hopefully I'll start evening up after the first third and I don't end up like Tokushoryu!!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I'm kind of amazed that they're saying Takakeisho herniated a cervical disc but will be back at it in a month. That sounds like the sort of injury where you'd want months of careful rehab before slamming full speed into another wall of meat...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Beautiful technique by Terunofuji today, took full advantage of the situation and carried it out flawlessly. Staying cool like that during a particularly long bout is a great trait to have.

ROFL at suggestions in certain quarters that a month is enough to heal a herniated disc... a month is maybe the timeframe until you don't feel impediments to day-to-day living.... it's going to take significantly longer than that to be able to go back to full contact sports without exacerbating it, let alone doing full-frontal charges Takakeisho hinges virtually his entire gameplan on. He is hosed. Soccer and American football players take out entire seasons for similar.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 6, 2021

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endoooooooooo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hokuseiho is a human that got caught in a nuclear bomb test and is now a sumo monster.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Here's a bit of fun, some Maezumo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjtqkkzAGY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Day 1 Thoughts:

eally admire Ura's escape there. It's very hard to twist out once your head's behind your heels. Great footwork.
I have never seen a henka like Chiyoshouma's.

I love seeing sumo like Tobizaru's subtle judo sweep.

Too bad for Wakatakakage. I can't remember the last time I saw someone get that position and not win by okuri-dashi.

I like to see our Sumo Demigod win the first match of his last tournament with a great throw.

Day 2 Thoughts:

TokuShouryuu with the armbar right out of the gate. nice.

Chiyonoou earned that one.

Chiyoshouma throwing Aoiyama like that was...impressive.

As was Ounashou throwing himself over Myougiryuu's shoulder. It's impressive to beat a rikishi with judo, doubly impressive to beat a rikishi by making him do judo.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Kenning posted:

AOIYAMA - A Bulgarian master of pushing and thrusting renowned for having the best rack in sumo. Has a small but mental fanbase in this thread.

:hai:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
oh ya trade for Hakuho or however it works didn't even know I was stuck with my 3rd choice guy lol

Foehammer007 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 6, 2021

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Marching Powder posted:

insanely good op. makes what seems like a pretty inscrutable sport easily understood.

you misspelled AOIYAMA

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Vargatron posted:

Were I a woman, I would only have eyes for AOIYAMA.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
found out about Takakeisho late due to being an NHK highlights watcher. :(

i need to trade Takakeisho for... whoever i can get. Terunofuji/Hakuho/Shodai

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I pick Wakaflakaflame he shits the bed, come on you have the coolest name, you should win the whole tourney

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cage Kicker posted:

Every time I pick Wakaflakaflame he shits the bed, come on you have the coolest name, you should win the whole tourney

Dude I swear this is true. Every time I leave him out he looks like a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Hi this is my first time following sumo and I can see why Hakuho is the best. He looks like he's on a whole other level than his opponents so far. I understand he's on the verge of retiring, so I'm curious how the Hakuho I've seen so far compares to his prime?