Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

sb hermit posted:

I thought it was for some ridiculous amount like $60K or something

It was around about that price. It was more than I had in the bank at least.

I've just completed another tour, albeit with a reload as I was swarmed while stationary for a few seconds and destroyed within two-three seconds. I tried out a new weapon setup that seems to be more effective over the Pyros and Sweeper missiles. I decided to upgrade my shields before going into Tau-31 and then ended up finding even better shields at my first port of call. I was definitely feeling the increased levels of difficulties in this system but it was more manageable as I had places to land and rest for a while. I will dip my toes into the nearby systems but I have a good feeling that the next video will be the next story mission as there's not a lot more that we can accomplish at this level and the Bretonian ships are now becoming outclassed outside of Bretonian space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159040

I have some free time this weekend and I've recorded another video, so I'm posting this one today and another one tomorrow. I've decided to explore the Tau systems before starting the next story mission. This system was a difficult one for me with the amount of aggression that I was receiving. I had to reload the auto-save from Planet Harris as I was destroyed while at the second wreck as I had stopped to fire at the wreck, picked up the goods and brought up the map to set course for the next location. As soon as I brought up the map some rogues had arrived so I immediately closed it, I was dead before the map had fully closed. I decided to give Tau-29 a shot and it went really smoothly, well, apart from a slightly awkward bug. I'll upload that video tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Video is set at private.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gothsheep posted:

Video is set at private.

It should be working now.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It should be working now.

It's the Sherlock Holmes video. I think the link is:

https://youtu.be/UTzjk-sRv5c

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

It's the Sherlock Holmes video. I think the link is:

https://youtu.be/UTzjk-sRv5c

Arses, thank you for pointing this out. I copied the wrong link. I've replaced the link but I may as well repost the whole thing:

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159040

I have some free time this weekend and I've recorded another video, so I'm posting this one today and another one tomorrow. I've decided to explore the Tau systems before starting the next story mission. This system was a difficult one for me with the amount of aggression that I was receiving. I had to reload the auto-save from Planet Harris as I was destroyed while at the second wreck as I had stopped to fire at the wreck, picked up the goods and brought up the map to set course for the next location. As soon as I brought up the map some rogues had arrived so I immediately closed it, I was dead before the map had fully closed. I decided to give Tau-29 a shot and it went really smoothly, well, apart from a slightly awkward bug. I'll upload that video tomorrow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Guns named "Dublin Dusters" is something alright. They do seem to be pretty effective for you though.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Tau-31 is pretty interesting how it felt split in difficulty for me.
Easy to deal Gaians around Planet Harris and much more tough Outcasts in the other, wilder side of the system. Maybe I had the wrong type of shields on, as the Outcasts shaved them off really quickly in my past runs.

That rainbow ring's quite pretty though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Psion posted:

Guns named "Dublin Dusters" is something alright. They do seem to be pretty effective for you though.

I'm pleasantly surprised by them, it helps that I can fire them non-stop and not have to worry about depleting my energy in five seconds flat like I was enduring with the Pyros'.

Lulti posted:

Tau-31 is pretty interesting how it felt split in difficulty for me.
Easy to deal Gaians around Planet Harris and much more tough Outcasts in the other, wilder side of the system. Maybe I had the wrong type of shields on, as the Outcasts shaved them off really quickly in my past runs.

That rainbow ring's quite pretty though.

I was destroyed in the time that it took to raise the map and then lower it again, the rogues are no joke in this area and at this level. I was expecting Tau-29 to be a lot harder than this but it was a picnic compared to this system, the last conflict didn't go so well but I'm putting that down to being complacent as I was almost at the end of the tour.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Previously you were fighting the Outcast Light Fighter, the Dagger. Which is pretty good. However, I noticed you were coming up against the Heavy Fighters now, the Stilettos, which are some of the best HFs in the game. There are a couple of HFs that are considered better, especially as player ships, but the Stiletto is still a very formidable enemy ship.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
My favourite weapon setups were always two damage types of energy weapons at max allowed level for the slot and a double missile launcher at max allowed slot.

For something like the Crusader it would be something like a two Pyros, two Angelitos and two Catapult missiles. Same firing speed for all the energy weapons and the launcher helped out keeping the energy cost manageable. I think i even stuck with the Corsair and Outcast weapons only because liked how they looked and had some comfortable damage/speed ratio.

Amusingly i never bothered with pure anti-shield weapons. Those shields wouldn't regenerate anyway in PvE, so i applied "just shoot them some more".

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 27, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159046

A fairly uneventful jaunt around Tau-29. There are a couple of jump holes, a few bases and no wrecks to be found. The rogues weren't as aggressive as they were in Tau-31, but I became complacent in the final conflict of the video and ended up having to waste some shield batteries.

Seeing as I won't be returning to Planet Leeds any time soon, here are some of the other rumours that we get from there that involves Trent:

"Tobias and Trent? Oh yeah, you mean Eddie. Yeah, they go way back. When Eddie was a kid his parents died in this horrible accident on Leeds. Tobias was a family friend and has raised him ever since. It's funny, actually. Tobias was never all that great of a parent. He used to be such a womanizer. I guess old age changes people, sometimes for the worse."

"Well, it must have been a few months since we last saw each other. Didn't you decide to leave Leeds to make a fortune in the Border Worlds? Tobias was heartbroken when you left, you know that, right? You're like a son to him. He's still running the Equipment Dealership here, of course. You shouldn't have any problems finding him since he works pretty much all the time. In fact, if you go over there now, you'll probably find him there."

"How's that deal of a lifetime holding out for you? I told you not to listen to that crazy bastard but NO, you had to go into space and nearly get blown to space dust for nothing. Next time listen to me. Come on, I'll go buy you a drink. I heard they just got this new draft, Liberty Ale or something."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

"He used to be such a womanizer. I guess old age changes people, sometimes for the worse."

So not being a womaniser makes him a bad person in this guy's optics? :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just given Tau-23 a few tries, it probably could be done right now but I think that I'm going to wait until we get a new ship. The only way into the system is via jump holes and nine times out of ten there are at least half a dozen Stiletto's hanging around on the other side. The other one out of ten has been at least half a dozen Barracuda. I'm going to continue on with the next story mission which may happen tomorrow.

Edit:

THE BAR posted:

"He used to be such a womanizer. I guess old age changes people, sometimes for the worse."

So not being a womaniser makes him a bad person in this guy's optics? :v:

The site that I got this quote from also named the person who said it: Captain Diana Ferguson, Bretonia Police.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159081

It feels like the sixth and seventh story missions were meant to be one long one but they chopped them in half. Even more so as we're not able to do any Freelancing in between missions even if we decline the next one. This mission actually went pretty smoothly and wasn't too difficult. The next one, let's just say that I didn't change my weapon setup and I didn't enjoy it even half as much as this mission. I may attempt to record another video today as I have some free time, I am back at work tomorrow so the uploading schedules will start to return to normal.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Everybody's hating on Leeds because "eww dirty working class manual labor" and the unregulated pollution of the planetside industry.
Those brown clouds just south of the planet on both sides of the tradelane to New London? Those are not natural space clouds/nebulae, but actual smog from the planet's factories that somehow escaped the atmosphere and did so in large amount to become shameful landmarks and cover for pirates.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

Everybody's hating on Leeds because "eww dirty working class manual labor" and the unregulated pollution of the planetside industry.
Those brown clouds just south of the planet on both sides of the tradelane to New London? Those are not natural space clouds/nebulae, but actual smog from the planet's factories that somehow escaped the atmosphere and did so in large amount to become shameful landmarks and cover for pirates.

This game has been a hotbed of stereotypes and I'm not even halfway through playing it. Some of the more obvious ones are more apparent and right now we are on the cusp of entering Japanese territory. Our current territory is distinctly British and
Irish, our last territory was American.

Chris Roberts was born in California but grew up in Manchester, England. There has been a long-standing rivalry between Manchester and Leeds, mostly expressed through sports. Leeds was a big part of the industrial revolution, Manchester remained as a market town throughout and then eventually embraced a few changes later on.

One of the things that I haven't touched upon is the inclusion of the Dublin systems politics and the politics within it was meant to represent the Irish war of independence.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Log Entries & News: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159101

I enjoyed the challenge and change of pace with this mission. I believe we are now over the halfway point of the storyline and I'm very much looking forward to this new chapter.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The scene at Cali base with the standoff is incredibly stupid. Kress sends a fleet to save a person that he didn't tell anyone on the base that they'd be bringing back?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

kw0134 posted:

The scene at Cali base with the standoff is incredibly stupid. Kress sends a fleet to save a person that he didn't tell anyone on the base that they'd be bringing back?

It does show the start of something I like to point out about the story, though. You progress by gaining levels, and you can kind of see Trent leveling up his character as he does. Starting out, he was basically unarmed with no on-foot combat skills. Now he's picked up a Handgun proficiency and was a little overeager to show off it off. This will go on, and if you're looking for it, you can see all sorts of places Trent is investing character points into for his on-foot stats.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

He maxed out his piloting stat at char gen and realized he actually needed to spend the rest elsewhere after getting shock prodded.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Once I heard the rich tenor of his voice, I knew who was Lord Hakkera's voice actor.

The venerable and regal George Takei. Aka "original Sulu", although he is known for much more than that.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Goodbye dirty brown space-UK, hello glorious clean (and utterly sexist) space-Japan.
You should have sold whatever H-fuel you caught from the destroyed gunboats to Cali base, as the price of H-fuel is super low around Kusari area, since they produce pretty much all of it in Sirius.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ME-thane gets me every time :allears:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

kw0134 posted:

It is a bit of a disconnect. Like. He sends ships to fight Rhineland but NO-ONE ONE THE BASE IS AWARE what?!

Ladies and Gentlemen - the writing team behind Space Plebian

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Oh no. Trent, you better watch out for those dastardly space-nazis and their silly accents. :geno:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Kusari space is my favorite space in the game to tool around in. Beautiful colorful environments (even if the nebulas make no loving sense) with beautiful planets and beautiful music.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Oh Tobias. :allears:

And oh Trent, you're such an rear end in a top hat. Demands to go on a retrieval mission in a nation he's never visited and knows nobody in. Gets mad when it turns out that, surprise surprise, he's useless and have to find something else to occupy his time with. :allears:

And we're in kusari space, wich has kusari ships. Hoping we can ditch the fugly Crusader soon.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

And we're in kusari space, wich has kusari ships. Hoping we can ditch the fugly Crusader soon.

For an equally fugly Barracuda. :allears:

I give Trent that he is REALLY good at blowing up spaceships and that is a talent always in high demand. He also thrives in every racist stereotype of this galactic community in Sirius and treats them equally with barely hidden contempt. A true professional.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 6, 2021

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

OutofSight posted:

For an equally fugly Barracuda. :allears:
Not even close. Yeah the Barracuda isn't pretty, but I can't overstate how much I hate the Crusader and its dumbass engine placement.
Besides, we could get a Dragon instead, it's only slightly worse, and it looks neat.
Or even better, one after the other to show them both off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm mad that there are all these destructible capital ships in the campaign, yet you don't get the sunslayer torpedoes until after you finish it :mad:

Kusari space is great. Also being a fugitive gives you are really nice tour of the parallel societies of Sirius.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Also an interesting note that I don't think I ever noticed before. Tobias was not flying a Bretonian ship, he was flying a Civilian Falcon. The Civilian-made ships are kind of odd ducks. They're sold in Freeports and tend to be the best ships of their class, offering a great balance of speed, armor and firepower.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've already used the Barracuda in this LP so I'll be starting the next video off with one of the Kusari Light Fighters. I'm going to have a look after I finish work tonight to see how I'm going to proceed. We're going to be in Freelance mode for a while so I'll be using that time to tour and show off the new ships available.

I've taken a quick look at the stats and it seems like the Civilian ships are a step or two above the Kusari ships, the Border World ships seem to be somewhat in the middle of them. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use some of these ships without taking a lot of time to fix reputations or by fudging the numbers with an editor as a quick fix. I might save some of the outer worlds for post-story content and use those to show off ships not seen in the main play through.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

Not even close. Yeah the Barracuda isn't pretty, but I can't overstate how much I hate the Crusader and its dumbass engine placement.

It truly is a shame that it does not come with smokestacks and steampunk gears to embody the might of the Bri'ish space-empire. (I still like their textures with the red-ish plating and their dumb "sea creature" chassis.)
Though the Kusari fighters with their origami-paper fins fans are pretty wild, too.

The upcoming content pushes your firmly in the "get a heavy fighter" direction. The Kusari HF and the Bounty Hunter HF should be your penultimate options for next story content.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 6, 2021

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've already used the Barracuda in this LP
Are you sure? The Barracuda is a heavy fighter that's better than the Crusader and is only available in Kusari space and the Cortez system.

You might be thinking of the Piranha, which looks almost identical, but it's a light fighter available in Brettonia space.

E: I like the stiletto too, but I don't think we have the level for it yet.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 6, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Groetgaffel posted:

Are you sure? The Barracuda is a heavy fighter that's better than the Crusader and is only available in Kusari space and the Cortez system.

You might be thinking of the Piranha, which looks almost identical, but it's a light fighter available in Brettonia space.

Actually, I think that you are correct. I've seen the name Barracuda so much since we hit Bretonia the name seems to be ingrained into my psyche.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

Firmly locked in "post-game" with the required pilot level. At that point you level fast enough to just aim for Stiletto's meaner and bigger brother Sabre.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I have a vague memory of getting the stiletto somewhere just before leaving kusari space last time I played the campaign. But that was also at least a decade ago so :shrug:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I finished work early but I've had to abandon a test run as a real-life situation is happening, I'm waiting on a lift as I'm typing this.

I've got as far as choosing a new ship the Drake and tentatively kitting it out, which was okay against two rogue ships. I've mapped out a route of the system but it's a bit of a pain as we start out right in the middle of everything. I'll give it a proper test run most likely within the next couple of days. I'm going to stick to what arsenal I have at the moment as alongside the purchase of a new ship, I spent 15k on some new shields as well. I'm going to be picking up weapons from wrecks and rogues along the way, I think that I've only purchased three weapons since leaving Liberty so I'm in no rush to buy any more unless the situation calls for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I will say Kusari ships look pretty interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting.