Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
isnt that source a pre-launch interview where they said they were looking into it and knew the logistics but werent sure about it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Cleretic posted:

So what's an Axl's game plan against a Chipp? It feels like he's just faster than every single one of my buttons, I get stomped by one every time they turn up.

use Axl's time powers to retrieve his DP from xrd

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
yes as a PC player I love cross play! bring on the wifi warriors

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Wifi players are already on PC.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

anime was right posted:

isnt that source a pre-launch interview where they said they were looking into it and knew the logistics but werent sure about it lol

The source interview looks to be from 7/4. But it's Tumblr so I'm not 100% sure the exact time frame.

quote:

the developer confirmed that PC-to-consoles cross-play is in the “verification process”

Not sure how long that process is for Sony, but sounds like they approved it... But I'm assuming verification step comes after initial approval.

Keegers fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 6, 2021

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

from what i remember the intitial pre launch interviews never said anything more concrete than 'ya crossplay would be cool we hope to do that in the future' which is like 100% meaningless and now i take mention of some vague 'verification process' to be 50% meaningless so id call that promising progress

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
lol got deranked from Floor 9 but it didn't kick me so I went 1-2 against a Chipp then 2-1 against a Millia and 3-0 against a Zato. I hope winning against higher-floor opponents makes it easier to rank up, and conversely, I hope if you're fighting higher floor opponents, you don't downrank as easy.

I still also have no idea what this stupid red bubble with a stock market arrow on people's pages mean.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Skypie posted:

lol got deranked from Floor 9 but it didn't kick me so I went 1-2 against a Chipp then 2-1 against a Millia and 3-0 against a Zato. I hope winning against higher-floor opponents makes it easier to rank up, and conversely, I hope if you're fighting higher floor opponents, you don't downrank as easy.

I still also have no idea what this stupid red bubble with a stock market arrow on people's pages mean.

I think it's theoretically supposed to mean they're about to rank up but God knows. I had it on my page all last night.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Skypie posted:

I think only the current win/loss streak matters for floor placement. Sometimes if you rank up before your set is over, the game forgets to suggest moving you floors. Even then, you only get locked out from below, so you can always hang out on floors equal to or above your assigned floor.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 6, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cleretic posted:

So what's an Axl's game plan against a Chipp? It feels like he's just faster than every single one of my buttons, I get stomped by one every time they turn up.

Abuse the range of f.S, make good reads, and pray. Same strat as gio and millia

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sometimes after a bad run I pop into floor 9 and look for people with an up arrow then full-on loving ape mode them with my floor 7/8 badge so they don't go up and return to my floor lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Faust's fS has 18f of recovery, which is not reactable. Nago's fS has 28 frames of recovery, which is very reactable.

My point wasn't that you shouldn't poke with Nago's fS, my point was that you should use it sparingly because you can get hosed for it.

not disagreeing with your point, but you have the whole startup and active frames of the move to react to, in addition to the recovery...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

anime was right posted:

The source is a July 4 interview with "Communidad Arc System Works" which seems to exist only as a spanish-language tumblr blog (though they posted their interview in both english and spanish).

ASW's exact response on the crossplay question:

CASW posted:

Last but not least, the next step would be cross play so all the community could play together. In a genre like fighting games, in which the community is the cornerstone, I feel like this should be a must have going forward. Do we have more news regarding this demanded feature? Does rollback netcode make it harder to implement crossplay between different consoles or between consoles and PC?

Arcsys posted:

Of course, we are always striving to accomplish this, and we are going through the verification processes for it. But there are still many practical issues like schedules and the running costs of matching servers. It will take a little more time before we can make a concrete announcement.

"Going through the verification processes" sounds to me a lot like "Sony told us to gently caress off". They have a bigger market share than xbox so they've gotten in the habit of obstructing crossplay to avoid giving MS any slack. After all, if a game has no crossplay, you'll probably buy it for the console with a larger playerbase.

e: Oh wait the game isn't even on xbox. PS4/PS5 crossplay will probably be "fine" but it remains to be seen how much Sony like playstation/PC crossplay.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 7, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: Oh wait the game isn't even on xbox. PS4/PS5 crossplay will probably be "fine" but it remains to be seen how much Sony like playstation/PC crossplay.

They love it because it lets them say they support crossplay without actually supporting it to a meaningful degree. Remember Street Fighter V?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I used to hate the Chipp MU, but my friend started maining him, and I realized that he has to be wary of reversal supers at all times. Gio's windmill kick raw does like 40%, poo poo's absurd.

I further realized that Gio has a privilege in her DP being able to CH his j2K, and that most characters have to tightly time 6P or go for a heroic air throw, and I find that unfortunate for them, and understand their gripes with that character.

I think someone in the thread said it earlier, but I listened to Gio's theme recently, and I agree that the misheard lyric of "I just wanna be a pretty girl with a brutish impulse" is way more badass than the actual line. I don't know if it fits the character more, but that just kind of rips to hear.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm extremely patient with Chipp since I know with Leo if I can cross him once he's basically hosed and that if I can find that moment to flash kick he's going to be extremely beat up. That being said I've got no idea how to cope with his super and if I am on low health and he has meter I almost feel like I should just drop my stick lol

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

JBP posted:

I'm extremely patient with Chipp since I know with Leo if I can cross him once he's basically hosed and that if I can find that moment to flash kick he's going to be extremely beat up. That being said I've got no idea how to cope with his super and if I am on low health and he has meter I almost feel like I should just drop my stick lol

If it means anything, neither of his supers have start up invincibility. His full screen one has a long start up animation and can be stuffed beforehand, and his fast clone rush can go through projectiles, but is -20 on block. Chipp is 100% a lot, but you can punish him or let him waste his meter. If you have meter yourself, I think you can drift RC to punish his fullscreen super, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm only saying this because I ran a 3 hour set today against this stupid character, and I went from hating him to tolerating him lmao. I haven't played Leo, but his 6p seems decently speedy, and seems to have a useful angle in this MU too. I don't know if your thoughts differ though. Do you think that's a solid button to rely on here?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blue Labrador posted:

If it means anything, neither of his supers have start up invincibility. His full screen one has a long start up animation and can be stuffed beforehand, and his fast clone rush can go through projectiles, but is -20 on block. Chipp is 100% a lot, but you can punish him or let him waste his meter. If you have meter yourself, I think you can drift RC to punish his fullscreen super, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm only saying this because I ran a 3 hour set today against this stupid character, and I went from hating him to tolerating him lmao. I haven't played Leo, but his 6p seems decently speedy, and seems to have a useful angle in this MU too. I don't know if your thoughts differ though. Do you think that's a solid button to rely on here?

My issue is that when it hits the point that I'm afraid of eating a super I can't press a button or the super comes out. It's very scary so I just commit to beating his head in early and flash kick ruins most of Chipp's openings. I usually just try to save a burst against him and not blow it on a combo.

Leo's 6p is pretty good but I don't trust myself to land it under that kind of meter pressure.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 7, 2021

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Leo is the one character I feel consistently helpless against. I've never been good at dealing with crossups and that's his main gameplan so all a Leo player has to do is wait for me to inevitably gently caress up my block direction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blue Labrador posted:

I used to hate the Chipp MU, but my friend started maining him, and I realized that he has to be wary of reversal supers at all times. Gio's windmill kick raw does like 40%, poo poo's absurd.

I further realized that Gio has a privilege in her DP being able to CH his j2K, and that most characters have to tightly time 6P or go for a heroic air throw, and I find that unfortunate for them, and understand their gripes with that character.

I think someone in the thread said it earlier, but I listened to Gio's theme recently, and I agree that the misheard lyric of "I just wanna be a pretty girl with a brutish impulse" is way more badass than the actual line. I don't know if it fits the character more, but that just kind of rips to hear.

It makes so much sense that I absolutely cannot hear it any other way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blue Labrador posted:

That misheard line definitely fits Gio. She clearly takes pride in her appearance; that 'but how will I ever find a good man' exchange in the first chapter of the story proves that.

I don't even know what 'I just wanna be a trigger with a brutish impulse' means, really.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

KingShiro posted:

Wifi players are already on PC.

Can confirm, I'm a wifi PC player myself.

On the other hand, I can't seem to discern the purpose of Chipp's alpha blade. It seems really bad considering that it doesn't appear to pass through projectiles and get stuffed by most normal moves.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Alright, dropped down to 8 playing against a Ky and Leo among a few other people. Got back to 9 pretty fast but I feel like there's some matchups like that where the opponent doesn't have to know what they're doing and I can't actually do poo poo, because the players that kicked me down I didn't feel like were actually any good and just constantly mashing at all times.

I have a really hard time dealing with offensive pressure. Like I've gotten to the point where I sometimes do block the high when Leo backturns but he can just hit his buttons constantly and eventually I get hit, I don't really know how to get out of it. I take a lot of damage trying to super on wakeup too because it's so hard to properly reversal that input. With Ky it's just buttons into his flip where I never know how to actually get out of Ky doing that repeatedly. Also in that matchup I eat a ton of damage very stupidly loving up my flick input or doing flick on reaction to slow fireball, and then having the fireball be TOO slow and flick whiffing first, then getting counterhit by the fireball. When I do get a slidehead and can close the gap my oki just gets stuffed by the opponent mashing buttons on wakeup every time because I'm taking too much time to get too close with my HFB or I just don't do meaties correctly.

You have to be able to throw Leo's crossup slash on reaction or you're handing him a free win. Practice in training mode if you need to. If he does get into backturn, you have to pick between pushing him out with faultless defense or challenging his attacks and both have the risk-reward stacked heavily against you. Backturn overhead is -6 on block but you have to watch out for cancel options.

Ky's Foudre Arc is only + if you either crouch block it or you're in s h o c k s t a t e. Stand block and mash jab.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Oh geeze oh gently caress. I was having a pretty good run of matches on Floor 8, and I was thinking to myself, "At this rate I'll probably go back up to 9 soon," but then I backed out of the lobby and-

I'm not trying to brag or anything seeing this legitimately made me feel anxious.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know about you but when I get promoted to a new floor I'm pretty confident I won't be staying there for a while. Just accept that you'll bounce in and out of it, maybe even by more than one floor, while you're improving.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Especially when the ranks reset and majority of the celestial are back at 10.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

guppy posted:

I don't know about you but when I get promoted to a new floor I'm pretty confident I won't be staying there for a while. Just accept that you'll bounce in and out of it, maybe even by more than one floor, while you're improving.

Yeah. I've made it to Floor 9 a few times, and each time I've stayed at that rank longer. It is frustrating sometimes to go on a losing streak, but I feel like I'm always learning something.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

guppy posted:

I can accept that, but... honesty time? I'm having a real tough time, mentally speaking, with just being dumpstered on for 10 matches straight and not winning a single round (not match, round). It's fine to lose matches when you learn something from it and it's at least somewhat even, but just getting combo'd from neutral to dead without being able to do anything at all, I just feel like the worst player in the world and makes me want to uninstall in shame. Obviously none of that is my opponents' fault, they're just playing the game, but... even if I don't care about winning, I care about having fun and feeling like I have agency, and that ain't it.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 7, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I can accept that, but... honesty time? I'm having a real tough time, mentally speaking, with just being dumpstered on for 10 matches straight and not winning a single round (not match, round). It's fine to lose matches when you learn something from it and it's at least somewhat even, but just getting combo'd from neutral to dead without being able to do anything at all, I just feel like the worst player in the world and makes me want to uninstall in shame. Obviously none of that is my opponents' fault, they're just playing the game, but... even if I don't care about winning, I care about having fun and feeling like I have agency, and that ain't it.

Running into walls is the natural flipside of anything you can have fun with. The way I see it, there's no running away from that. You gotta take the good with the bad, and learn how to use both of them. I get that it might not be fun, but think of it as a troll blocking the bridge to the fun, and it's your imperative to beat it.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Real zen secret isn't to tough it out until you win it's to learn how to enjoy losing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Real zen secret isn't to tough it out until you win it's to learn how to enjoy losing

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever head in my life. The secret is to WIN, and WIN more abundantly.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
You could always abandon your humanity and pick up Sol.

I'm gonna do it if Baiken comes out and is bad

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mankind knew they cannot git gud, so instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the dolphins

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I keep wanting to try other characters but I can't stop playing Leo he's too much fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

exquisite tea posted:

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever head in my life. The secret is to WIN, and WIN more abundantly.

My angle is to come up with my own victory condition for a night of playing.

I consider it a good session if I get at least one person caught in Axl's Explosion Loop.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Even in matches where you're getting wrecked you can take an opportunity to learn after the match. Rewatch and look for a consistent move the opponent uses to get into their poo poo. If it's extremely strong and they keep going for it, that's the kind of stuff you can practice baiting out and punishing or at least find ways to not leave yourself open to it. You can also note down the combo they're doing and replicate it in training mode to look for gaps you didn't see while in the middle of a match.

Basically a replay of you getting walloped is an opportunity to learn the match up, to learn what people playing that character will fish for.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JBP posted:

I keep wanting to try other characters but I can't stop playing Leo he's too much fun.

S H S H S H S H

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve started my ZATO boot camp… I now at least understand how Eddie works and all the different ways to summon him. Now I’d have work on building some basic combos or block strings with that info…. or I can just go back to Ram and hit S a bunch and win

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TGLT posted:

If it's extremely strong and they keep going for it, that's the kind of stuff you can practice baiting out and punishing or at least find ways to not leave yourself open to it.

I am regularly getting deleted by things like my opponent just dashing up from neutral and throwing me, followed by a combo into the corner. Or just having a poke 6P'd and I'm just dead. Heck, even trying to jump out of grabs hasn't been working after the initial bout of success because now I run into people that just block any attack on the way down, then continue doing it. Besides, after a match like that, the only thing I want to do is alt+f4. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to do things like watch replays or hang out in training mode. I just want some fun games against other people who are just as bad at the game as I am. Losing is fine in a match like that, but not when I feel helpless all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you don't wanna watch replays or practice combos, at least watch high-level players win with your character and try to mimic what they do first in practice mode, then in real matches. You can learn a lot just by copying the behavior of better players, even if you don't fully understand why it works conceptually.