Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I am regularly getting deleted by things like my opponent just dashing up from neutral and throwing me, followed by a combo into the corner. Or just having a poke 6P'd and I'm just dead. Heck, even trying to jump out of grabs hasn't been working after the initial bout of success because now I run into people that just block any attack on the way down, then continue doing it. Besides, after a match like that, the only thing I want to do is alt+f4. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to do things like watch replays or hang out in training mode. I just want some fun games against other people who are just as bad at the game as I am. Losing is fine in a match like that, but not when I feel helpless all game.

If your pokes are getting consistently 6P'd, you might be too predictable to some one who knows the match up better. Find other ways to approach with your character and mix up those approaches. You also don't always have to jump out of a grab, you can find your fastest normal button to pop them for getting too close. You can also figure out your character's safest jump, or mix in air dashes and empty jumps.

And I know training mode can seem boring, but just dropping five to ten minutes here and there will do anyone a lot of good. You don't have to do it right after a match or anything, just make a note of whatever got you and come back when you're in a headspace to learn. There's an amount of practice you're going to have to do though, and - outside of matches with friends/discords - it's either going to be in a real match with the pressure that brings or while in training mode.

edit: Like training doesn't need to be hours and hours, it can be just a minute of seeing what buttons can beat something else and a few more of testing what that can convert into if you don't yet know. Then you can hop back in to matches and work on making that instinctive or seeing what responses your opponents have.

also they really need to add the option to pause matchmaking while in training mode

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

in guilty gear offense is easy and defense is very hard. it's really easy for some total noob to find "sol frame trap" on youtube and in literally 5 minutes be able to own your rear end because you don't want to put in even that much time or effort. so you're asking for a player pool of people who have played the game less than 5 minutes. people in this thread have explained ways for you to massively improve (with, like, unbelievable patience imo) and if you just don't wanna then dude idk what to tell you you're gonna get loving rolled by any real human player. maybe try to get friends who also don't play fighting games to mash along with you? or try arcade mode?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

TGLT posted:

If your pokes are getting consistently 6P'd, you might be too predictable to some one who knows the match up better. Find other ways to approach with your character and mix up those approaches. You also don't always have to jump out of a grab, you can find your fastest normal button to pop them for getting too close. You can also figure out your character's safest jump, or mix in air dashes and empty jumps.

Unfortunately jumping is the alternate strategy already - 5P was my go-to before, but it resulted in me getting thrown from wakeup 95% of the time anyway. Sadly, neither Nagoriyuki nor Potemkin have air dashes. Like, I get it, it's not like I haven't spent any time in training mode. I've practiced inputs and combos a little bit between matches. I might not be able to string together a perfect combo on offense every time, or even often, but I don't feel like that's the weak point (which isn't to say it's a strong point either, but I don't think it's worse than anyone else on my floor). My weak point is defense. I'm not exaggerating when I say that people can just dash right up and throw me from neutral and I can't react fast enough to stop it - that's happened multiple times. You don't really even have to do any clever mixups, any high attack or jump and I'm down for the count. Don't ask which moves I'm having trouble with, because I don't know. I just know one moment we're facing off in the middle of the screen and the next I'm a heap in the corner, y'know? I am incredibly bad at this game.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 7, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Have you considered other characters?

I ask because I am complete bupkis with most of the cast, but Axl really jives with how I want to play, despite never really finding a decent zoner for me before. Every character in this game is extremely different in intended playstyle and approach, so maybe you're just a Zato main who hasn't tried Zato yet.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 7, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Have you considered other characters?

I ask because I am complete bupkis with most of the cast, but Axl really jives with how I want to play. Every character in this game is extremely different in intended playstyle and approach, so maybe you're just a Zato main who hasn't tried Zato yet.

I think that's a fair point. I just have an unnatural attraction to giant muscle boys. Then again, this is a game in which a guy who dances with fans all day is unreasonably shredded, so aren't they all?

edit:

TGLT posted:

Sure maybe Nagoriyuki doesn't have a literal air dash but he can do this poo poo.

Holy poo poo lol. That's fantastic.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 7, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So for character specific poo poo, this is where it's good to watch high level players (ie Fame96 for Nagoriyuki) like exquisite tea mentioned. Sure maybe Nagoriyuki doesn't have a literal air dash but he can do this poo poo. And you may not know what got you in a match, but if you write down which match it was you can come back later with a beer to just chill and figure it out. Think of it like a puzzle game hidden in Strive.

I'd also say a part of getting better at defense is to stop reacting and start predicting. This is where character and player knowledge comes in handy. Plus it just makes reacting easier because you're not looking for everything, just specific things.

And yeah, don't be afraid to just put away a character for a bit and see if some one else suits you as well. If nothing else it's a great way to learn what makes them tick for when you go up against them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

guppy posted:

I don't know about you but when I get promoted to a new floor I'm pretty confident I won't be staying there for a while. Just accept that you'll bounce in and out of it, maybe even by more than one floor, while you're improving.

You can stay even if you don't keep your rank.
As Pot, just after reaching 9f, I got absolutely destroyed by an Axl who I just couldn't get in on. So of course I kept rematching him, trying to figure out how to get around his buttons, until I deranked to floor 8. Then I picked the "stay on current floor" button and kept rematching even more. Eventually he left and I started doing the same with a 10f Gio who was somehow in the 9f lobby until she knocked me down to 7.

But the important thing is that I got to get the poo poo beaten out of me by players way better than me, and I had fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think that's a fair point. I just have an unnatural attraction to giant muscle boys. Then again, this is a game in which a guy who dances with fans all day is unreasonably shredded, so aren't they all?

edit:

Holy poo poo lol. That's fantastic.

There's definitely appeal in playing as the gorillas. But maybe give Leo, Sol (he's top-tier for a reason, after all), or even Gio a shot. Try some slightly more mobile up-front smashers.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I find that whats more important than reaction time is knowing match ups.

What can your opponent do, what are they likely to do based on what they have been doing, how have other people playing that character been starting matches. Then you start out your match right after Lets Rock with whatever your character can do that denies their moves and makes them feel unsafe. There will never be only one thing to do in that scenario, as I-no I've got like three different fresh match openers, two or three real aggressive ones, and at least two 'okay actually I'm the one who is scared' openers. Round two and beyond will narrow down this list of options like not jumping against Ky or Pot or always jumping against a Sol or Chip who never go high. After this you can learn what you can chain off of what and the instant you stop being able to pressure people you go on defense until it's your turn again.

Potemkin and Nagoriyuki can not be 100% offensive all the time unless your opponemt starts off super scared, which will only ever happen if your opponent has almost never played against those characters. Find more than one way to slip in, more than the most basic of three or four hit strings on Nago, how to really punish almost everything with slide head and megafist and Pot, and then you can start taking more turns as those characters. Which again is less about reaction time and more about pressing the right sequence of buttons and also knowing when not to press them and just hold back to block.

I'm also not a huge training mode fan, its why my damage output is lackluster and my air combos almost don't exist.

Instead of training mode or watching replays in game maybe you'd have more fun watching a streamer who plays your character a bunch while you don't have the game open. I don't really know who to suggest here other than the guy who voices Axl in english goes by Octopimp on twitch, GeraltofNvidia in game, and has moded a Potemkin skin to have the By Any Means Neccessary jacket.

e: holy poo poo that rc air dash

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 7, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I am regularly getting deleted by things like my opponent just dashing up from neutral and throwing me, followed by a combo into the corner. Or just having a poke 6P'd and I'm just dead. Heck, even trying to jump out of grabs hasn't been working after the initial bout of success because now I run into people that just block any attack on the way down, then continue doing it. Besides, after a match like that, the only thing I want to do is alt+f4. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to do things like watch replays or hang out in training mode. I just want some fun games against other people who are just as bad at the game as I am. Losing is fine in a match like that, but not when I feel helpless all game.

I can't tell for sure without seeing a replay, but it seems like you're having a hard time controlling space in neutral, and people are dashing in on you for free instead of being afraid of your pokes.

In terms of dealing with 6P, if you walk into poke range and don't press the button, they might 6P on reaction to your spacing, which lets you whiff punish for free. So instead of autopiloting fS at fS range, sometimes you should wait and watch to see do what they do. If they are passive enough you can just press the button, but if they tend to overreact you might be able to anti air or whiff punish them for jumping or rolling the dice.

Try using relatively low commitment pokes like your P's and K's more often in neutral. I think Pot 2P and Nago 5K may be good for this, there might be other options. These are less likely to get 6P'd and are good at checking dashes.

You don't have to jump or mash out of a throw every time. Pot/Nago have quite a bit of HP. Fuzzy jumping can also help you succeed more often.

I also wouldn't mind looking at a replay to get a better idea of what's going on in your matches.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

dhamster posted:

Fuzzy jumping can also help you succeed more often.

Could you explain what fuzzy jumping is? Or fuzzy block for that matter? I played the tutorial mission with that title, but... I'm not sure if I learned the lesson it intended me to learn. What I did was hold 1 until it seemed like the AI was going for an overhead, and switched to 4, and in the end I kinda felt like I passed the mission on luck alone. Is it just the same thing as picking the "safe" block option (1) and only switching to 4 when you see an overhead coming? And I don't see how this applies to jumping?

How do you share replays?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Could you explain what fuzzy jumping is? Or fuzzy block for that matter? I played the tutorial mission with that title, but... I'm not sure if I learned the lesson it intended me to learn. What I did was hold 1 until it seemed like the AI was going for an overhead, and switched to 4, and in the end I kinda felt like I passed the mission on luck alone. Is it just the same thing as picking the "safe" block option (1) and only switching to 4 when you see an overhead coming? And I don't see how this applies to jumping?

It is just "hold 1 for a bit then switch to 4 or 7 or 8", but the trick is that you don't try to react to know when to do it. You just practice the timing and do it with the same rhythm every time, to exploit the natural timing gap in "how early can they do a meaty" vs "how early can they throw", or low vs overhead.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah you just block, then jump a split second later. If they meaty you, you block it and the jump doesn't come out because you're in blockstun. If they try to throw, they have to wait for the unthrowable grace period after wakeup/block so the throw has to come later, so a delayed jump will beat it. It's not 100% safe because they can alter their timing to catch you out if they know you're doing it but most players even at 10/celestial aren't at that level yet.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

After all, if a game has no crossplay, you'll probably buy it for the console with a larger playerbase.

Historically, don't anime games usually have a larger PC playerbase as the game lives on? I mean the trend might reverse with strive seeing just how popular this game has been on steam, I imagine the playstation metrics are just as good, if not better.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

And then Axl players complain because people don't re-match.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It already got answered, but don't forget if you see a term you don't recognize/fully understand you can also check out The FGC Glossary by Infil or the Dustloop glossary.

As for sharing a replay, if you're on PC they're saved under %LOCALAPPDATA%\GGST\Saved\SaveGames\<user-ID> as REP###.sav. I think you can just upload that and have some one download it to watch it? Alternatively you can just record and upload them to youtube.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 7, 2021

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I should really practice my fuzzy techniques, I've never been good at it.

On the other hand, I played Mika in SFV so if I knocked someone down, they were usually in "oh poo poo" mode trying to avoid command grabs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was in Park and a lower floor Potemkin challenged me and we played like… 13 matches in a row. It was really cool to see when I would do something like Hammerfall RC into pot buster he’d start using it against me, the first time I got a 2H Heavenly pot buster he kept trying for it the following match. Felt like a professor of Potemkin

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I played a high ranked Nago in the park a couple weekends ago and got mega stomped but felt like I learned a lot about the matchup

I still struggle against Nago as Gio since his gigantic fuckin normals make it hard to get in, but usually once I'm in, I can become conductor of the pain train

Skypie fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 7, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was in Park and a lower floor Potemkin challenged me and we played like… 13 matches in a row. It was really cool to see when I would do something like Hammerfall RC into pot buster he’d start using it against me, the first time I got a 2H Heavenly pot buster he kept trying for it the following match. Felt like a professor of Potemkin

Is there a more satisfying move in the game than 2H Heavenly Potemkin Buster?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I feel like my approaches are too predictable and it's causing me to hit a wall against some opponents. Can someone recommend some good videos of higher level May play? Most of what I find searching around is just totsugeki memes.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

unimportantguy posted:

I feel like my approaches are too predictable and it's causing me to hit a wall against some opponents. Can someone recommend some good videos of higher level May play? Most of what I find searching around is just totsugeki memes.

isn't Justin Wong unironically playing May? if so, he's probably a good bet. Not sure of any other big names. SnakeEyez is playing Potemkin, Deb is maining Sol, Maximillian Dude is playing Leo, SonicFox is also playing Leo.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

unimportantguy posted:

High level VODs resource: https://strive.keeponrock.in/#/?p1chars=may

Which approaches of yours are getting stuffed? It'd help to see a replay, I'm guessing you're relying a lot on dolphin and air approaches. Try to mix things up by approaching on the ground as well: walk or dash forward into a button, or move forward and stop suddenly to bait a whiff.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So good tips for May if people are catching on to you is you j.H is an amazing button that is hard for a lot of characters to challenge and your f.S/2S are good if you're at neutral. When I see people struggle with May it's usually because the opponent is wise to typical TOTSUGEKI shenanigans and airdashes aren't working either. Walk/run up and swing anchors, and vary your jumps to get people to whiff something you can charge in on.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

May 5K is very good, be sure to press it a lot when you can. It is airborne so it can't be grabbed, its fast and it sticks out very far, you can also jump or dash cancel it or gatling into 3K, 5D or 2D.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

dhamster posted:

High level VODs resource: https://strive.keeponrock.in/#/?p1chars=may

Which approaches of yours are getting stuffed? It'd help to see a replay, I'm guessing you're relying a lot on dolphin and air approaches. Try to mix things up by approaching on the ground as well: walk or dash forward into a button, or move forward and stop suddenly to bait a whiff.

Guilty as charged. I try to rely more on vertical dolphin because everybody predicts horizontal dolphin and lots of people don't seem to know vertical is an overhead. Sometimes I use S vertical dolphin as a quick way to switch sides. I rely a lot (a lot) on j.H too. I've been tending to save replays where I thought something fun or entertaining happened rather than ones where I'm just getting relentlessly countered but uh, this is probably a decently representative example of how I play? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8NXDiCdC1g

Thank you for the videos.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 7, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah, you are jumping a lot right now. There were some situations where you were at neutral and out of range of even Nago's pokes, and you tried to airdash to get back in, which could have really hurt if he was anti airing. This is a great time to dash or even walk forward at basically no risk to yourself, giving you free meter and screen position. Then when you're a little closer to Nago's max range you can start to think about whether you want to airdash over f.S if you think it's coming.

As your homework, try walking forward as long as the opponent will let you the next time you're at neutral and fullscreen. The more comfortable you are with taking space on the ground, the scarier you are.

e: This clip is from xrd, but you get the idea.

https://twitter.com/dhamster/status/1171296955533676545?s=19

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Walking forward and dashing forward are more useful then airdashes.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Dash block is the ultimate move

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Reiley posted:

May 5K is very good, be sure to press it a lot when you can. It is airborne so it can't be grabbed, its fast and it sticks out very far, you can also jump or dash cancel it or gatling into 3K, 5D or 2D.

You forgot 6H :getin:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
what the hell, can May do her stupid orca super in the air? Pretty sure she caught me with it while airborne.

also it's very lame that it hits low after you block it initially :mad:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it definitely does not hit low.

she can do it in the air though, yeah.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Skypie posted:

what the hell, can May do her stupid orca super in the air? Pretty sure she caught me with it while airborne.

also it's very lame that it hits low after you block it initially :mad:

This is exactly how I catch people who get to excited to 6P my jump-ins. The beginning of the orca is invincible and once I have my opponent conditioned to expect a j.H they eat the orca every time.

KingShiro posted:

Ram, May, Nago, and Axl players are all too eager to yolo super.

Every time I mirror match another May they're throwing that drat whale super all over the place and it never hits anything and I just don't get it.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 8, 2021

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Ram, May, Nago, and Axl players are all too eager to yolo super.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

unimportantguy posted:

This is exactly how I catch people who get to excited to 6P my jump-ins. The beginning of the orca is invincible and once I have my opponent conditioned to expect a j.H they eat the orca every time.

Every time I mirror match another May they're throwing that drat whale super all over the place and it never hits anything and I just don't get it.

Yeah we were both airborne so I think she just mashed it out. Alas, just something to watch out for in the future

Incidentally, how many hits does Leo's non-projectile super do? I got the read on one using it when he woke up after a wall break and FD'd it so I wouldn't chip out, but after like 3 hits I thought it was done and got punched for the KO. Kind tilted me tbh

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Whale super in older games (especially Accent Core) was unblockable if May had her back to the corner and you were right in top of her. The whale would start moving during the super freeze itself but it has been slowed down considerably in Strive.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Skypie posted:

Yeah we were both airborne so I think she just mashed it out. Alas, just something to watch out for in the future

Incidentally, how many hits does Leo's non-projectile super do? I got the read on one using it when he woke up after a wall break and FD'd it so I wouldn't chip out, but after like 3 hits I thought it was done and got punched for the KO. Kind tilted me tbh

after a few (four or five?) hits it pauses to trick you, then he does one big final rising slash. once you see it it should be impossible to miss.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

Whale super in older games (especially Accent Core) was unblockable if May had her back to the corner and you were right in top of her. The whale would start moving during the super freeze itself but it has been slowed down considerably in Strive.

In Xrd you could put out her bouncing beachball special and then call the whale, and if the opponent wasn't already blocking the ball would keep bouncing during the cinematic freeze. You could hear the hit-confirm, and once the cinematic ended the opponent was put into hitstun and it confirmed into the whale. It was the funniest trick in the world but the new walrus doesn't work the same way anymore so it's just A Thing That Once Was now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Be careful of Leo's super if you're blocking and he has meter. I watched sonic fox RC the final hit of the super and take a W. Now I do it constantly when I'm in a clutch situation and nobody is ever ready for me to block their counter or just grab them and go into brynhildr.

Also yeah the Leo super hits go one, two, three, four, pause, FIVE and he's super exposed before that final leaping slash.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Like, I get it, it's not like I haven't spent any time in training mode. I've practiced inputs and combos a little bit between matches. I might not be able to string together a perfect combo on offense every time, or even often, but I don't feel like that's the weak point (which isn't to say it's a strong point either, but I don't think it's worse than anyone else on my floor). My weak point is defense. I'm not exaggerating when I say that people can just dash right up and throw me from neutral and I can't react fast enough to stop it - that's happened multiple times. You don't really even have to do any clever mixups, any high attack or jump and I'm down for the count. Don't ask which moves I'm having trouble with, because I don't know. I just know one moment we're facing off in the middle of the screen and the next I'm a heap in the corner, y'know? I am incredibly bad at this game.

Training mode is more than just combo practice. Use training mode to set up unfamiliar situations with the record function and then take 2 minutes to figure out what options you have. YRC, gaps in strings for you to contest with buttons, jump outs, super jump outs, etc. Before you start playing ranked look at a replay and find an unfamiliar situation and an option to beat it while you warm up your hands then write it down somewhere. Make this a warm up routine before you start playing maybe 5-10 minutes total. Over time you will at least know what you can do in various situations then you can try to execute in a real match.

Fighting games are hard and take effort to get good at. This difficulty is why they are satisfying to play, but if you don’t want to put in the effort then you are going to say Woe Is Me and complain forever without improving.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 8, 2021