Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

Oh no!!!

:asoiaf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I prefer the nom de plume Square Penis over the portmanteau Squeenix

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lodin posted:

Oh no!!!

they called it... rear end Effect...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
In the future all lady pants lift and separate.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lodin posted:

Oh no!!!

Poop comes from there.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Kennel posted:

Poop comes from there.

thats kinda hot

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kennel posted:

Poop comes from there.

You're ruining my immersion.

Or are you increasing it? I'm not sure. Either way pl;ease stop

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of rear end and Effects, everyone here should look into buying Rebel Galaxy Outlaw since it's cheap on Steam right now.
You can paint your ship like a pig and it's a good space pew pew.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lodin posted:

Speaking of rear end and Effects, everyone here should look into buying Rebel Galaxy Outlaw since it's cheap on Steam right now.
You can paint your ship like a pig and it's a good space pew pew.

does it play like the first or is it fully 3D flying

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

my unpopular opinion is that the first played way better.

but it is 3D flying in Outlaws. Or at least a facsimile of it

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

It's shooty tooty 3D rooty, yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5PR5locpU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That looks pretty cool. how is it structured? Is it a campaign, multiplayer, roguelite...? Can't really tell from the trailer

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
From playing a few hours back when it came out, It’s literally a copy of wing commander privateer with no original ideas. Whether that’s acceptable is up to you, I suppose.

e: I guess “dogfighting is hard. ya know what, just hold down this button instead and we’ll take care of that pesky maneuvering.” probably counts as an idea, just a loving stupid one.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 6, 2021

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Kennel posted:

Poop comes from there.

Yeah that was a weird DLC

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Play posted:

my unpopular opinion is that the first played way better.
Agreed. It's so nice to be able to fly large ships for a change too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love VR and I appreciate VR enthusiasts for keeping the dream alive while VR is still in it's awkward phase, but they are seriously going to be the death of the platform with all of weird poo poo they latch on to that no sane person would ever want in a game. When an actual good VR game comes out like Half Life Alyx they whine about how you don't have to clean your gun for 10 minutes after firing 5 bullets or want some barf inducing feature, then all of these VR indie devs take note and make the most boring, janky, uncomfortable VR games that suck poo poo in response. If VR wants to go anywhere stop listening to the guy who thinks reloading a gun should be a 60 second process that doesn't even work right and makes the entire feel like poo poo to play. Just make fun games if you want your target audience to be more than ten people with :spergin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That’s why I love pistol whip. Want to reload your gun? Point down or bash someone in the face with it. Then keep doing crazy John Wick poo poo. It really leans in to how cool it feels to be constantly in the middle of the action in VR.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My experience with a game has never improved my reading a faceless opinion on it. At best Ill shrug and not really take in what your saying and at worst ill think your a weird.

(Note, worst case scenario reserved for people who play through persona games multiple times)

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Fur20 posted:

the pinnacle of voice acting was dynasty warriors 3

My introduction to DW was DW4XL and the dude who did Jiang Jiao was amazing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I love VR and I appreciate VR enthusiasts for keeping the dream alive while VR is still in it's awkward phase, but they are seriously going to be the death of the platform with all of weird poo poo they latch on to that no sane person would ever want in a game. When an actual good VR game comes out like Half Life Alyx they whine about how you don't have to clean your gun for 10 minutes after firing 5 bullets or want some barf inducing feature, then all of these VR indie devs take note and make the most boring, janky, uncomfortable VR games that suck poo poo in response. If VR wants to go anywhere stop listening to the guy who thinks reloading a gun should be a 60 second process that doesn't even work right and makes the entire feel like poo poo to play. Just make fun games if you want your target audience to be more than ten people with :spergin:

I think your problem might be more with you, friend, if you think the reloading in like Pavlov is overly complicated.

I also am genuinely confused where you're seeing people saying these things, because I haven't once seen anyone mention in the VR thread in Games that HL: Alyx should have more complicated reloading :confused: At worst, folks were complaining how it was mostly sticking with safer mechanics choices like no player jumping, balancing around teleport to move, etc etc. Which is valid when a decently large portion of the VR playerbase has moved beyond that - Boneworks has sold something like 500k+ copies and that game has no concessions made to people who aren't super used to VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

I think your problem might be more with you, friend, if you think the reloading in like Pavlov is overly complicated.

I also am genuinely confused where you're seeing people saying these things, because I haven't once seen anyone mention in the VR thread in Games that HL: Alyx should have more complicated reloading :confused: At worst, folks were complaining how it was mostly sticking with safer mechanics choices like no player jumping, balancing around teleport to move, etc etc. Which is valid when a decently large portion of the VR playerbase has moved beyond that - Boneworks has sold something like 500k+ copies and that game has no concessions made to people who aren't super used to VR.

It is overly complicated because that stuff never works perfectly in VR (and Pavlov is one of the better ones). It always feels clunky and actually reloading a gun every time in VR (or the many similar actions VR games have) is tedious, not fun, and never works as well as it should, in my opinion at least.

You are sort of proving my point here, which is that too much of VR just caters to it's niche audience now, and that really doesn't bode well for it becoming more mainstream and getting bigger titles in the long run. As someone who doesn't enjoy the minutia of messing around with everything physically and would much rather a game get to the point so I can have fun, I feel like the VR games that cater to me, or other people that aren't interested in noodling around with everything in the game are becoming too few and far between. And I think that's a problem, because you are assuming that the general public, who still is yet to be sold on VR is actually going to enjoy all of the stuff VR heads love. People are used to streamlined games that keep them in the action, and VR is largely focused around a sub group of people that love the opposite. And it's fine that people enjoy that stuff, but I don't think that is what is going to drive it forward as a platform.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Where is this big blowback about reloading guns in VR? There's been complaints about the various implementations, but very few from those who actually think it's a bad idea. It's not like making a game out of a reload is even a new idea, Gears of War, even Cruelty Squad does it.

No one really knows what VR is for yet or who or what it's best targeted at, it's a platform where one of the big hits is a game where you are a gorilla with no legs playing tag. It's all niche audiences and the niche audience that plays shooters seems to want physical reloading.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I worded it too bluntly for the sake of the thread I am posting in. VR is pretty much all niche right now yes, devs want to cater to the people who are buying VR games. I get that and it's totally understandable. But I think we can all agree that if you like VR, you probably want to see it keep advancing as a platform so we can keep getting new, better HMDs and lord willing, an actual library of AAA games to choose from.

I'm just using my opinion as an outsider (hence the unpopular opinion thread) in that I think most of the stuff VR fans fawn over feels incredibly unrefined and sloppy compared to what I'd be playing on a screen and it doesn't work well enough to feel good, it's also not very fun as a gameplay mechanic. I had so much more fun with Firewall on PSVR, where I could just focus on shooting guys and ducking behind cover and reloading by pressing a button that worked 100% of the time, than I ever had with pavlov, or a lot of these games where I feel like I am spending half my time noodling around with a weapon, dropping poo poo on the ground on accident etc. it feels terrible imo. I'm not saying I represent anyone but myself, but I can say that people are used to really polished video games and most VR is not that, and a lot of that has to do with how much complexity VR fans want. Do you honestly think the direction VR games have gone in is going to push the platform forward as a whole and increase mainstream appeal, or is it just going to make the sub group of people who already like VR happy?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You aren't an outsider, you bought a VR headset. You are now tained by it, you are a VR enthusiast. Sorry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not an outsider in the sense that I don't qualify as a VR enthusiast. I own two headsets and have been playing VR fairly regularly for over 5 years now. I'm saying that it's an outsider opinion that VR enthusiasts are missing the forest for the trees, and are indirectly just making the platform less and less accessible and enjoyable for people who don't enjoy the niche things that they do.

At the same time I understand it because that is who is buying the games, but I also don't think it bodes well for VR growing much as a platform.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

An outsider opinion about niches of niches.

The Quest is unambiguously successful in a way no previous headset has been. I'm more concerned about who is fostering it's growth and where their vision ends up rather than the medium actually succeeding in the market or not. Are there untapped niches? Definitely, but there's enough people messing with the tech that I'm sure someone will eventually figure out "cool vr shooter that doesn't have physical reloading" and it'll be a resounding success and you'll be right!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Get this: VR visual novels.

Instead of reading the anime you can be IN the anime.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I did some research and robo recall exists ah well

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

And I thought VNs couldn't possibly be made worse.

SCheeseman posted:

I did some research and robo recall exists ah well

wanst space pirate whatever an okay VR shootymans as well? I know I've heard some praise for it at some point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Space Kablooey posted:

wanst space pirate whatever an okay VR shootymans as well? I know I've heard some praise for it at some point.

It's still pretty fun, but more of an arcade thing where you're in one place shooting waves rather than a true shootyman

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honeslty maybe I am just jealous of you guys that are able to play that stuff and be like "wow this is awesome" meanwhile my experience with basically all of them has been.

In theory- Physically reload the gun and interact with your inventory directly, sweet!

In practice-
Out of ammo, poo poo better get my backpack out
Allright cool got my backpack out on the second try, nice
oh drat both my hands are full now, guess I'll drop my gun
time to get this magazine...oh poo poo a throwing knife magnetized to my hand from 5 inches away even though I had my hand on the magazine, better put that back.
oops I dropped it on the ground
ok I got the magazine now, both hands full again better put the backpack away
I want the magazine in my left hand though, I'll just transfer it right over and...
Ok I'll just pick my gun up, eject the spent magazine
better pick up the new one up
why wont it go in the hole? It's just going through the gun. Goddammit
15 tries later *click*
Now why isn't it cocking. ok, got it
*click*
oh poo poo I just picked up the spent magazine and reloaded it. Guess I have to do this again
repeat process
*click*
Oh poo poo I left the safety on
Dead

This isn't one specific game just an amalgamation of how I feel most of the time I'm playing them. I feel like I am missing something where people are actually able to play and enjoy these and make them work better than this.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Assassins creed will now be a games as a service type poo poo called infinity

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Honeslty maybe I am just jealous of you guys that are able to play that stuff and be like "wow this is awesome" meanwhile my experience with basically all of them has been.

In theory- Physically reload the gun and interact with your inventory directly, sweet!

In practice-
Out of ammo, poo poo better get my backpack out
Allright cool got my backpack out on the second try, nice
oh drat both my hands are full now, guess I'll drop my gun
time to get this magazine...oh poo poo a throwing knife magnetized to my hand from 5 inches away even though I had my hand on the magazine, better put that back.
ok I got the magazine now, both hands full again better put the backpack away
I want the magazine in my left hand though, I'll just transfer it right over and...
Ok I'll just pick my gun up, eject the spent magazine
better pick up the new one up
why wont it go in the hole? It's just going through the gun. Goddammit
15 tries later *click*
Now why isn't it cocking. ok, got it
*click*
oh poo poo I just picked up the spent magazine and reloaded it. Guess I have to do this again
repeat process
*click*
Oh poo poo I left the safety on
Dead

This isn't one specific game just an amalgamation of how I feel most of the time I'm playing them. I feel like I am missing something where people are actually able to play and enjoy these and make them work better than this.

There's definitely issues with more detailed on-body interactions, but the assumption is that better IK and body tracking will solve most of them. Not all obviously, complex two handed interactions are tricky.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Horseshoes hot dogs and hand grenades is pretty fun for being so heavily simulated with gun stuff but yeah, two handed stuff gets weird. Trying to use a pump action shotgun is so strange when there’s nothing to stop your hand in either direction.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Aren't there companies that sell fancy virtual reality prop guns for virtual reality and it makes me feel poor when I look that stuff up so I don't??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kntfkr posted:

Aren't there companies that sell fancy virtual reality prop guns for virtual reality and it makes me feel poor when I look that stuff up so I don't??

Yeah. There are some that aren't even that expensive now. But that just once again brings up the issue that all of these games now revolve around fidgeting with the gun so much, that they have to have a way to break the controllers off at any time to perform all of those actions. it all looks unrefined as hell imo

By far the most fun I have had playing shooters in VR was with this thing

But then you can't have all of the noodling people seem to love. You are stuck with hitting a button to reload that works 100% of the time and lets you actually shoot things instead of dropping stuff on the ground.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

kntfkr posted:

There's a bunch, the best being the mag/protube and it's clones. It's more like scaffolding and is adjustable, but it's still a big thing hanging off your body all the time and gets in the way whenever you're not using it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
looks.....erotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kntfkr posted:

looks.....erotic

Oh it is.