Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

hahaha, the Union of Concerned Scientists. that group is a total waste

and yet somehow theyre one of a handful of groups being even remotely honest about how bad poo poo is going to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

they’re done.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
*in the most insanely awful annoying voice you have ever heard*

Big yikes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody is going to stop the drum beat of taking on Beijing.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSCO6doW-Y

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NSA does not monitor communication US to US. For the NSA to be involved requires ...

... at least one of the communicators to be out of the US.

NSA turns evidence it has of crimes over to FBI and other law enforcement.

Neither NSA or CIA are law enforcement, nor do they "operate" in the US against US citizens.

If Tucker was approached by law enforcement over information he knows was in an e-mail or cell call that was either one person in the US and both parties off-shore - it is a reasonable guess that NSA had some part in finding it and turning it over. It'd be a guess, but it'd also be a good possibility.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The continued effort by Iran to enhance its nuclear capabilities is another serious concern. But a bright spot in an otherwise gloomy landscape is the Biden administration’s stated desire to rejoin the Iran nuclear deal, known officially as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). In response to the 2018 US withdrawal, Iran deliberately walked back its commitments under the agreement. Stockpiles of low-enriched uranium have increased, enrichment levels have risen, and new, improved centrifuges have been installed. These actions have reduced the amount of time it would take Iran to put together a nuclear weapon from one year to several months. At the same time, Iran continues to comply with many of the agreement’s requirements, and many of the actions it has taken can easily be reversed. However, Iran’s willingness to remain in the agreement is not a given.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

NSA does not monitor communication US to US. For the NSA to be involved requires ...

please ignore that intra-US communications are routed internationally specifically to get around this

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

Neither NSA or CIA are law enforcement, nor do they "operate" in the US against US citizens.

lmao

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

just assume the NSA tracks every byte sent over the internet and archives it it in triplicate

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

If Tucker was approached by law enforcement over information he knows was in an e-mail or cell call that was either one person in the US and both parties off-shore - it is a reasonable guess that NSA had some part in finding it and turning it over. It'd be a guess, but it'd also be a good possibility.

love to take the intel world's assurances at face value

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

that vice piece on the "trauma of the insurrection" to reporters is just filled with lovely whinging

quote:

“The harder part for me is to know how emotional the lawmakers are,” said Desjardins. “It’s like when you know your parents are bitterly, abusively fighting, and you go into a room and can sense their hostility, and can sense nobody’s figured out a way out.”

It was unlike anything Bresnahan had seen in his nearly three decades on the Hill. But what stunned him most came hours later, once the rioters were dispersed.

As tear gas still wafted through parts of the Capitol, with broken glass and blood staining the building, the House reconvened to certify President Biden’s Electoral College victory—and a majority of House Republicans voted against confirming his wins in Arizona and Pennsylvania.

“It’s eerily back to normal. But sometimes it feels like one of those horror movies, like the end of Jaws. Everything feels copacetic on the beach. But you wonder if there’s anything out there.”

Shortly afterward, he heard a shot outside—what later turned out to be the officer’s bullet that killed rioter Ashli Babbitt.

“It was traumatizing,” he said.

But he kept reporting.

“I shut my emotions,” Wasson said. “If I went down, I was going to go down fighting. I’m going to do my job.”

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Liberals

gently caress

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bideo James posted:

*150 people died recently in a collapsed building*

*a journalist in DC gets an itch on his shoulder and thinks a MAGA has has landed on him, he flinches the gun he keeps under his pillow so fast the trigger is pulled before he even realizes he's taken himself out by accident*

A journalist walks into the bathroom and looks into the mirror. All he sees is the QAnon Shaman. He smashes the mirror, sobbing

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Nichael posted:

I hate Drew's stupid loving face.

This is what peak performance looks like. Don't be bitter about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Willa Rogers posted:

that vice piece on the "trauma of the insurrection" to reporters is just filled with lovely whinging

I truly hate these people. Absolute cowards

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Excelzior posted:

watch Biden start a war with Denmark

US intelligence has found sufficient evidence that Denmark is stockpiling weapons of mass construction.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bideo James posted:

*150 people died recently in a collapsed building*

*a journalist in DC gets an itch on his shoulder and thinks a MAGA has has landed on him, he flinches the gun he keeps under his pillow so fast the trigger is pulled before he even realizes he's taken himself out by accident*

I think this is why I'm so mad, the timing of this is so loving ghoulish. It'd be insufferable normally but to do this poo poo right now is just disgusting.

Sorry people who's entire building got loving leveled and hundreds of your friends and family in it are likely dead, my loving coddled DC reporter rear end was mildly nervous as a dude walked down a guided rope path and shouted "TROMP"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

I like the one who directly reveals that he views Congress as his mommy and daddy

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Willa Rogers posted:

Did they just liken politicians, whom as reporters they are supposed to hold to account, parental figures? Oof. That's doing some stuff to my brain and I don't like it.

^^^ e:f,b

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah 150 some odd people are dead in my backyard, with just as many (and maybe even exponentially more by the time all the pending inspections conclude!) homeless but the real victims of 2021 are the politicians and the press pool members they allow in their ivory tower

Get hosed, democrats

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Even worse is how the media just buried the building collapse I haven't seen anything about it since Biden had that clip about the goid thing being it shows we can work together or whatever ghoulish poo poo his pudding brain crapped out. Everything gets the mass shooter treatment now two days off coverage than buried.

Expect 1/6 witch shows to me how much of a nothing it really was

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

it’s going to rule when Democrats lose the house and senate after campaigning on nothing but 1/6

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

This is what peak performance looks like. Don't be bitter about it.

gently caress you for making me see that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wtf I love Sunrise Movement now?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Maybe sunrise will have another campout over this.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Look at this loving rear end in a top hat https://twitter.com/Vedantthalegend/status/1412875684372942851

I'm embarrassed that I ever had an iota of confidence in this dude

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Sundown movement calls on Biden to lay down, stop yelling.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

comedyblissoption posted:

it's a fantastic av lmao @ the colossal self own for whoever did it

alec eiffel

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I clicked the quote tweets on that thing, thinking it would be at least some people dunking on the guy but it's hundreds of libs calling Sunrise genocide lovers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Look at this loving rear end in a top hat https://twitter.com/Vedantthalegend/status/1412875684372942851

quote:

May 4, 1999

Congressman Bernie Sanders
2202 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC, 20515

Dear Bernie,

This letter explains the matters of conscience that have led me to resign from your staff.

I believe that every individual must have some limit to what acts of military violence they are willing to participate in or support, regardless of either personal welfare or claims that it will lead to a greater good. Any individual who does not possess such a limit is vulnerable to committing or condoning abhorrent acts without even stopping to think about it.

Those who accept the necessity for such a limit do not necessarily agree regarding where it should be drawn. For absolute pacifists, war can never be justified. But even for non-pacifists, the criteria for supporting the use of military violence must be extremely stringent because the consequences are so great. Common sense dictates at least the following as minimal criteria:

The evil to be remedied must be serious.

The genuine purpose of the action must be to avert the evil, not to achieve some other purpose for which the evil serves as a pretext.

Less violent alternatives must be unavailable.

The violence used must have a high probability of in fact halting the evil.

The violence used must be minimized.

Let us evaluate current U.S. military action in Yugoslavia against each of these tests.

Evil to be remedied: We can agree that the evil to be remedied in this case — specifically, the uprooting and massacre of the Kosovo Albanians — is serious enough to justify military violence if such violence can ever be justified. However, the U.S. air war against Yugoslavia fails an ethical test on each of the other four criteria.

Purpose vs. pretext: The facts are incompatible with the hypothesis that U.S. policy is motivated by humanitarian concern for the people of Kosovo:

In the Dayton agreement, the U.S. gave Milosevic a free hand in Kosovo in exchange for a settlement in Bosnia.

The U.S. has consistently opposed sending ground forces into Kosovo, even as the destruction of the Kosovar people escalated. (While I do not personally support such an action, it would, in sharp contrast to current U.S. policy, provide at least some likelihood of halting the attacks on the Kosovo Albanians.)

According to The New York Times (4/18/99), the U.S. began bombing Yugoslavia with no consideration for the possible impact on the Albanian people of Kosovo. This was not for want of warning. On March 5, 1999, Italian Prime Minister Massimo D’Alema met with President Clinton in the Oval Office and warned him that an air attack which failed to subdue Milosevic would result in 300,000 to 400,000 refugees passing into Albania and then to Italy. Nonetheless, “No one planned for the tactic of population expulsion that has been the currency of Balkan wars for more than a century.” (The New York Times, 4/18/99). If the goal of U.S. policy was humanitarian, surely planning for the welfare of these refugees would have been at least a modest concern.

Even now the attention paid to humanitarian aid to the Kosovo refugees is totally inadequate, and is trivial compared to the billions being spent to bomb Yugoslavia. According to the Washington Post (4/30/99), the spokeswoman for the U.N. refugee agency in Macedonia says, “We are on the brink of catastrophe.” Surely a genuine humanitarian concern for the Kosovars would be evidenced in massive emergency airlifts and a few billion dollars right now devoted to aiding the refugees.

While it has refused to send ground forces into Kosovo, the U.S. has also opposed and continues to oppose all alternatives that would provide immediate protection for the people of Kosovo by putting non- or partially-NATO forces into Kosovo. Such proposals have been made by Russia, by Milosevic himself, and by the delegations of the U.S. Congress and the Russian Duma who met recently with yourself as a participant. The refusal of the U.S. to endorse such proposals strongly supports the hypothesis that the goal of U.S. policy is not to save the Kosovars from ongoing destruction.

Less violent alternatives: On 4/27/99 I presented you with a memo laying out an alternative approach to current Administration policy. It stated, “The overriding objective of U.S. policy in Kosovo — and of people of good will — must be to halt the destruction of the Albanian people of Kosovo. . . The immediate goal of U.S. policy should be a ceasefire which halts Serb attacks on Kosovo Albanians in exchange for a halt in NATO bombing.” It stated that to achieve this objective, the United States should “propose an immediate ceasefire, to continue as long as Serb attacks on Kosovo Albanians cease. . . Initiate an immediate bombing pause. . . Convene the U.N. Security Council to propose action under U.N. auspices to extend and maintain the ceasefire. . . Assemble a peacekeeping force under U.N. authority to protect safe havens for those threatened with ethnic cleansing.” On 5/3/99 you endorsed a very similar peace plan proposed by delegations from the US Congress and the Russian Duma. You stated that “The goal now is to move as quickly as possible toward a ceasefire and toward negotiations.” In short, there is a less violent alternative to the present U.S. air war against Yugoslavia.

High probability of halting the evil: Current U.S. policy has virtually no probability of halting the displacement and killing of the Kosovo Albanians. As William Safire put it, “The war to make Kosovo safe for Kosovars is a war without an entrance strategy. By its unwillingness to enter Serbian territory to stop the killing at the start, NATO conceded defeat. The bombing is simply intended to coerce the Serbian leader to give up at the negotiating table all he has won on the killing field. He won’t.” (The New York Times, 5/3/99) The massive bombing of Yugoslavia is not a means of protecting the Kosovars but an alternative to doing so.

Minimizing the consequences of violence. “Collateral damage” is inevitable in bombing attacks on military targets. It must be weighed in any moral evaluation of bombing. But in this case we are seeing not just collateral damage but the deliberate selection of civilian targets, including residential neighborhoods, auto factories, broadcasting stations, and hydro-electric power plants. The New York Times characterized the latter as “The attack on what clearly appeared to be a civilian target.” (5/3/99) If these are acceptable targets, are there any targets that are unacceptable?

The House Resolution (S Con Res 21) of 4/29/99 which “authorizes the president of the United States to conduct military air operations and missile strikes in cooperation with the United States’ NATO allies against the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia” supports not only the current air war but also its unlimited escalation. It thereby authorizes the commission of war crimes, even of genocide. Indeed, the very day after that vote, the Pentagon announced that it would begin “area bombing,” which the Washington Post (4/30/99) characterized as “dropping unguided weapons from B-52 bombers in an imprecise technique that resulted in large-scale civilian casualties in World War II and the Vietnam War.”

It was your vote in support of this resolution that precipitated my decision that my conscience required me to resign from your staff.

I have tried to ask myself questions that I believe each of us must ask ourselves: Is there a moral limit to the military violence you are willing to participate in or support? Where does that limit lie? And when that limit has been reached, what action will you take? My answers led to my resignation.

Sincerely yours,

Jeremy Brecher

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Good on them for seeing past the natsec bullshit

Yossarian-22 posted:

yep i'm sickened as well, i gave money to this fuckin rear end in a top hat, that makes me the chump

lmao liberal democratic capitalism is entirely what led us to climate apocalypse and a strong authoritarian state is the only way humanity has any way out of this situation, if it's even possible at this point

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

as far as this nonsense about rules are, according to critics of the police state, if you have a fisa warrant on a target or w/e you can nominally also surveil people in contact with the target multiple degrees of separation removed from the target

which of course invites splitting hairs on whether someone is a "target" even though you are actively surveilling them

also five eyes shenanigans means (absurdly assuming they even follow the rules lawyering nonsense) they just ask a foreign government to surveil their target lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

it’s going to rule when Democrats lose the house and senate after campaigning on nothing but 1/6

I was reading about how the new strategy for the public option is to shift it to the states, but then the story goes on to link to pieces how ned lamont vetoed it in CA and how the WA state public option costs more than private insurance.

the stories also made clear that lobbyists have focused on the state-level efforts bc no one expects congress to pass a public option.

but "the aca is the first step toward single-payer" lol.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dems lucked out with the whole 'impeachment matters to literally less than 1% of voters but people still hate Trump just as a guy so whatever I guess it's fine to bang that drum all day' thing and they 100% believe that the 1/6 insanity will do the same somehow

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jesus, lamont has turned into a cartoon villain

quote:

To help control costs, Lamont proposed revisiting a controversial asset test that caused panic among legislators three years ago.

“The COVID-19 public health pandemic has taught us how critically important it is for state health care funding to be provided to those in greatest need; services or eligibility are so much richer than other comparable states,” McCaw wrote in her budget introduction, adding that Connecticut is only one of nine states without an asset test under its Medicare Savings Program.

The MSP uses Medicaid money to help more than 100,000 low-income seniors pay medical expenses that Medicare doesn’t cover, such as premiums, deductibles and co-pays.

McCaw noted that while 38 states follow a minimum income standard recommended by the federal government, Lamont is proposing drawing the line at double that threshold.

That would mean individuals with resources exceeding $15,720, and couples topping $23,600, could face additional costs.

Legislators enacted an asset test for the MSP in October 2017 as part of a bipartisan budget package, then called themselves into special session the following January to repeal it by overwhelming margins amidst sharp criticism from advocates for the elderly.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/red_weeb/status/1412886643778981893?s=20

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
On one hand lmbo that anyone would believe the nsa and cia don't run all of your hentai search history on e-hentai through a computer cluster that filters it for terrorism and progressive ideology just because they pinky swear they only look at international big mommy anime milkies. On the other hand, incredibly powerful lmbo that tucker cried like a snowflake bitch when he found out the nsa torpedoed his loving insane attempt at a Putin interview by outing it on his show unprovoked and leaving the world to go what the gently caress is he talking about.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol I'm watching the local news and they just interviewed a guy named "Dr Areola" and they're going out of their way to say his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Much like the vast swathes of chud states that are 100% dependent on federal handouts, there are probably only 4 states that could themselves enact single payer. Anyone that proposes such a solution to single payer is very obviously doing so in bad faith and to intentionally insult your intelligence (muh states rights!)