Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BurritoJustice posted:

The Loki/Sylvie cuddling scene was adorable in that first highschool romance way, but aren't they both frost giants?

It was so obvious that Sylvie was basically saying oh no, I'm so cold, if only someone could do something to help me :3:

Yeah, someone on twitter pointed out that both of them shouldn't feel any cold at all and they were just making excuses to cuddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AJA posted:

Did not like. Loki is a god of mischief, not a god of murder.

God of hammers Loki or especially god of missing your brother Loki should not be OK with that.

My thinking was; he did the most horrible thing a Loki could do and he's just a kid, everyone else was too scared to cross him. Though he doesn't seem proud of the act exactly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm all in on the BEHOLD THE GRIM VISAGE OF DR. DOOM! reveal instead of Kang

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mameluke posted:

My thinking was; he did the most horrible thing a Loki could do and he's just a kid, everyone else was too scared to cross him. Though he doesn't seem proud of the act exactly.

Maybe Classic Loki was sticking with him as a mentor figure, to show him how to be a better person. For all we know, maybe kid-Loki regrets it. After all, a running theme seems to be that Lokis are lonely.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, someone on twitter pointed out that both of them shouldn't feel any cold at all and they were just making excuses to cuddle.

I love it because the only thing funnier than them both trying to pull it on each other is them both falling for it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Classic Loki's dramatic flourish with his yellow cape when he sits laughing at TVA Loki. :allears: I do wonder how classic Thor would look like.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Do we remember Thor from the first movie? Odin kicked him out for a reason.

Who's to say Kid Loki wasn't a hero for killing his bully of a brother?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DorianGravy posted:

Maybe Classic Loki was sticking with him as a mentor figure, to show him how to be a better person. For all we know, maybe kid-Loki regrets it. After all, a running theme seems to be that Lokis are lonely.

Kid Loki definitely regrets it, he straight up says that Loki’s get pruned before they are given the chance to change or improve, in response to Classic Loki’s comments on the unchanging nature of Loki.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still laughing over "fine i'm willing to accept that", such a hilarious Loki episode.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
What if the big bad at the end isn't a variant Loki, but rather a variant THOR who instead of being a hero is the villain of that timeline, and we get a super fun, somehow totally kept secret Chris Hemsworth cameo

It ain't gonna happen, but I can dream. :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also I cannot claim it as my own but someone suggested the way Kid Loki did the deed is that when doing the turn into a snake to stab Thor trick it wasn’t so funny when Thor died instead of surviving.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What if the big bad at the end isn't a variant Loki, but rather a variant THOR who instead of being a hero is the villain of that timeline, and we get a super fun, somehow totally kept secret Chris Hemsworth cameo

It's Johnny Five Aces

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's time for Beta Ray Bill

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I cannot claim it as my own but someone suggested the way Kid Loki did the deed is that when doing the turn into a snake to stab Thor trick it wasn’t so funny when Thor died instead of surviving.

I thought exactly the same!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Desperado Bones posted:

Ha I totally didn't think of that at all, that's actually pretty drat great. Even better if that's just something that people who are willing to apply their brains to a scene (unlike me) pick up too. And triple goodness since the scene still works if you don't take that into account.

Azhais posted:

It's Johnny Five Aces

Picture four Lokis on the edge of a cliff.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
It'll be a Loki as the big bad in the castle, but his defeat will set up Kang for later. Once heroLoki and Sylvie defeat Time Tyrant Loki, subsequent movies can have Kang find the castle, complete with all the crazy technology ruins from across time and space that are just hanging around in the void outside waiting to be adapted, and he's all set up to go as a far better Time Tyrant than Loki could ever be.

That, or the defeat of Time Tyrant Loki "releases" Kang in some way, but again not in a way they have to show during the Loki series (I'm guessing the equivalent of end-of-Avengers-1 Thanos at the most).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

NowonSA posted:

Ha I totally didn't think of that at all, that's actually pretty drat great. Even better if that's just something that people who are willing to apply their brains to a scene (unlike me) pick up too. And triple goodness since the scene still works if you don't take that into account.

Picture four Lokis on the edge of a cliff.

It was a sweet scene. At first I thought “this is some high school bullshit”, but I realized these are both characters that have reasons not knowing how to give or receive genuine affection and it’s completely new for them. Then, it was endearing.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm gonna laugh if it's the investment banker bro from the first episode

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I'm personally hoping for Interdimensional Council of Reeds in the fancy castle

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

bentacos posted:

I'm gonna laugh if it's the investment banker bro from the first episode

far more than just an investment banker, they're actually... a power broker

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The question of who Sylvie is remains unresolved. There are two dangling plot points that suggest she isn't "just another Loki". First, she's the only one of the Lokia who doesn't know what their nexus event was, all the others got to sit around and joke about what they did. When she asked Ravonna what it was, Ravonna claimed not to remember, which was sketchy as hell and implicates at least one of them (possibly both) as being super important. Then when our Loki asks the other Lokia if they'd ever seen a female Loki before and they're all "hell no, ugh" which makes Sylvie seem like an aberration far beyond even Kid/Classic/Boastful/Aligator Loki.

I dunno what it's going to mean, but I'm looking forward to next week when we get to find out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Saw Black Widow today and I had an interesting thought.

When Red Guardian talks about fighting Captain America he’s adamant it happened, even when talking to people he has no reason to lie to. My guess is he fought Isaiah, partially because it seems poetic that he and Isaiah both ended up imprisoned by their own countries.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Squidster posted:

A friend suggested that young frost-giant Loki, a blue-skinned genderfluid hornblob, might pattern their appearance on whichever Asgardian found them. Boastful Loki might have been raised by Heimdall, and Sylvie might have saved by Freya.

But surely then they're immediately a variant and would be pruned?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Taear posted:

But surely then they're immediately a variant and would be pruned?

Not if they continue to provide the required use of Loki, which is to help elevate Thor into the hero he needs to be and subsequently forge the Avengers through Loki’s antagonism.

Remember Classic Loki is the example of how long things can be different he got pruned for trying to go back, because that would mean Loki would be doing something outside his pre-planned villainous role.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

heckyeahpathy posted:

My guess about the finale: it's not another Loki variant, it's OUR Loki at the end of his life. He's preserving the sacred timeline because it's the one where he becomes a whole person through meeting Silvie, but in doing so, he's betraying her to living decades/centuries of a miserable existence beforehand. Now he has to decide if his own growth is worth another person's suffering.

Uh-oh, that might just be it if they use Leah in Gillen's 'Journey Into Mystery' run as an inspiration.

As it cool as it would be for Kang to show up, I doubt they'd introduce him here ahead of Ant-Man 3. I've been fairly convinced from the start that the head of the TVA would turn out to be Richard E Grant and this episode only increased that feeling for me, especially the way he responded to the pep talk, believing that nothing necessarily has to be locked in and anything is possible, even 'winning'. Of course, a lot of it is also because he's fantastic and I want to see him gadding about with a goblet of wine as much as possible.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sentinel Red posted:

Uh-oh, that might just be it if they use Leah in Gillen's 'Journey Into Mystery' run as an inspiration.

As it cool as it would be for Kang to show up, I doubt they'd introduce him here ahead of Ant-Man 3. I've been fairly convinced from the start that the head of the TVA would turn out to be Richard E Grant and this episode only increased that feeling for me, especially the way he responded to the pep talk, believing that nothing necessarily has to be locked in and anything is possible, even 'winning'. Of course, a lot of it is also because he's fantastic and I want to see him gadding about with a goblet of wine as much as possible.

I can't see it happening, since Old Loki being the "Man behind the curtains" would completely undercut not just the heroic sacrifice they just did with him as the emotional climax of the last episode, but also the thematic work prior to that of him being so angry that he was pruned when he decided to do something different and him wondering if Loki's can change. The entire finale hangs upon him deciding to change by fighting rather than just surviving, and him being the villain would basically negate that entire little arc. Also, the fact they keep talking about the "man" behind the curtain is making me think it must be a woman just to subvert things a bit, even beyond the curtain show we had originally. Ravonna being the only woman left in the show it could be, since Sylvie has been sympathetic from episode 3 at the latest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Not if they continue to provide the required use of Loki, which is to help elevate Thor into the hero he needs to be and subsequently forge the Avengers through Loki’s antagonism.

Remember Classic Loki is the example of how long things can be different he got pruned for trying to go back, because that would mean Loki would be doing something outside his pre-planned villainous role.

That's not my interpretation - my interpretation is that he survived because after hiding from Thanos he made sure he had literally no impact on anything, so there was no way for the TVA to trace him. He got pruned for not dying to Thanos, he survived for lso long because he was undetectable..

e: Ps. half the spoiler tags on this page aren't actually spoilers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

tsob posted:

I can't see it happening, since Old Loki being the "Man behind the curtains" would completely undercut not just the heroic sacrifice they just did with him as the emotional climax of the last episode, but also the thematic work prior to that of him being so angry that he was pruned when he decided to do something different and him wondering if Loki's can change. The entire finale hangs upon him deciding to change by fighting rather than just surviving, and him being the villain would basically negate that entire little arc. Also, the fact they keep talking about the "man" behind the curtain is making me think it must be a woman just to subvert things a bit, even beyond the curtain show we had originally. Ravonna being the only woman left in the show it could be, since Sylvie has been sympathetic from episode 3 at the latest.

Yes yes that's all very well and good but you're forgetting the most crucial thing: it would be the most absolute, completely and utterly Loki thing to do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sentinel Red posted:

Yes yes that's all very well and good but you're forgetting the most crucial thing: it would be the most absolute, completely and utterly Loki thing to do.

You're also forgetting that the entire point of the show is "can Loki be more than what all Loki's define themselves as?".

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

You're also forgetting that the entire point of the show is "can Loki be more than what all Loki's define themselves as?".

I suppose they could write it in a way where our Loki and specifically Sylvie realize that the one person most responsible for their pain is "themselves." It'd also shrink the MCU down further and it's already starting to feel very tiny.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

I'm all in on the BEHOLD THE GRIM VISAGE OF DR. DOOM! reveal instead of Kang

Me too! I mean, it'll never happen. But one of those is one of the all time iconic comic book villains with a clear backstory and who is instantly recognisable whether or not you're into comics, and the other is some dude with an incredibly confusing wiki page who looks a bit like Thanos.

I think one thing people are forgetting about Kang is that it took a decade of films for the MCU to get to Thanos in any meaningful way. And even then, it was like 7 years between his first appearance and the infinity war films. And they clearly changed tack a few times during that run - his first appearance makes stronger references to the original storylines with Death etc.

So I think it's probably going to be a while yet for this guy. I mean, I hope I'm wrong because I'm finding it hard to get excited about Kang and so I kind of hope Doom is gonna be the big bad for the next decade or whatever. There's been a couple of references to him in Wandavision, and I could totally see the Fantastic Four film setting him up as a villain right at the end.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

pik_d posted:

I don't read the comics, can someone please explain to me why when I look up Nathaniel Richards it seems like one version of him is (pretend) Doctor Doom (with no mentions of Kang) and another version is Kang and then there's other versions of him where the same name is someone different? I guess the Kang version of him is most popular? But there's also Kangs that aren't him?

Okay, so take the TVA's theory of time and Variants, where you have one main line with multiple branches.

Let's call that main line "Nathaniel Richards/Kang". For most of his existence (based on average numbers of instances) he's born Nate, but spends his life as Kang the Conqueror. However, Kang has absolutely no respect for the natural flow of time. He's perfectly content to meddle with every moment in history INCLUDING HIS OWN. Most of his instances are Kang the Conquerer, with a brief stint at the beginning of his career as Rama-tut, in ancient Egypt. Often, near the end of his natural life span (sometimes he's immortal) he becomes Immortus, and gives up a life of conquest and becomes a somewhat dickish keeper of the 'proper' flow of time. This one time, when he was a kid, he read a history book and read that he becomes Time Hitler and decided he didn't want to be that person, so he became Iron Lad and joined the Young Avengers.

It's important to know that Kang is at war with absolutely EVERYONE, at all times. This includes himself. The different versions of himself are at war with each other, even along the same timeline. It'd be like Loki in this show fighting Silvie, but also fighting the version of himself from Infinity War and also from the first Thor movie.

Another important thing to know about him is that Kang has a more or less perfect understanding of time. He can go anywhere, anywhen, and is more or less untroubled by possible paradoxes that would cause anyone else to wink out existence. He also has a dumb sense of chivalry and doesn't simply wipe people out by killing their parents or murdering them in the cradle. He wants to control everything, but by beating you at your best. He's timeless, but also very, very bored.

I hope that makes sense.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

A personal guess on the finale:

The idea of it being another Loki makes a sort of sense, as Loki has always wanted to rule over the entire Universe. Of course he cannot be the one and only ruler if there are other timelines and multiverses out there. They also set up the TVA to kill all other possible Loki's as Loki's are the only ones with the skills and knowledge to possibly defeat them.

For all we know, the Loki that died in Endgame gets reanimated somehow to become this ultimate Loki as the Endgame timeline is apparently the one true timeline.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Why would you change your name to Kang? Nathaniel is a perfectly nice name.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Why would you change your name to Kang? Nathaniel is a perfectly nice name.

Nate the Conquerer doesn't have the same ring to it, plus the dude has WAY more aliases than what I listed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kang is not Nathaniel Richards in the comics. They're both time travelers but they're distinct ppl in most timelines.

E: they share a name tho. One is the father of Reed richards the other is a descendant with the same name

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 8, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The founder of the TVA is Deke, in an attempt to get back to the one true timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Kang is not Nathaniel Richards in the comics. They're both time travelers but they're distinct ppl in most timelines.

E: they share a name tho. One is the father of Reed richards the other is a descendant with the same name

Kang is born Nathaniel Richards, and he lies about his own existence a lot. He's claimed to be descended from Reed Richards, and Doctor Doom, and he's also claimed to be their ancestors. It could all be a lie, or all be true, and it kind of doesn't matter. It's possible that he does it to prevent other people from successfully doing the "murder them in the cradle" gambit. But you're kind of right about who he is. When he's calling himself Nathaniel, he's not acting like Kang, or Immortus, or any of the main variations of himself, he's mostly a time adventurer. Similarly, when he's Kang, he despises Immortus' passive ways. Some of his other aliases are just cover names for his Kang variation, and they still act like rear end in a top hat time conquerors. However, the main versions of him are very different from each other, even if they end up being different points on the same timelines.

In a way Kang is like an opposite of Loki. Lokis may take many different forms, but they're all Loki. Kang is always just the one dude, but he changes personalities like underwear.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 8, 2021