Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

While I am waiting for a new wheelset in 700c, I decided to get more grip and suppleness on the 650b set I have with gravelkings in 53mm:

Kinda tight clearance:

I hope they dont get any wider once I start dropping the pressure.

Also, found out today that I lost a few pieces of my shoes

At first I thought those studs were a gimmick but after a few rides I saw how useful they were and now I am going to miss them while I source the bits to fix this.

e: ugh what a lovely snipe, here are some cows from one of the last rides

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

They're not called the Gone for nothing.

:vince:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The studs are the same standard thread as football spikes fwiw

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's this loop, that's a really long way, that i've been thinking about doing. Usually you get a ride out of town a bit to do it which avoids boring frontage road and a section of interstate riding but hey why not just try the whole thing. I wouldn't be the first person. Last week a friend was like, hey I'm doing it next weekend, want to go?

South of town is the bitterroot valley. On the west side of the valley are the bitterroot mountains. On the other side of those there are more mountains and Wilderness with a capital "W" and Idaho. On the east side of the valley are the sapphire mountains. On the other side of that is rock creek, and a dirt road that goes all the way up to the skalkaho highway, which then climbs over and takes you to hamilton, which is about 50mi from Missoula. So that's the loop. I'd already mapped it and looked at the route distance and was like "gently caress, that's a long way. I forgot it was that far."

We got a nice early start and were actually rolling by like 6:10 this morning. First stop, clinton store, mile 25, where I topped off water and got a donut. My bike, the new major jake with 38 maxxis ramblers

I've only had it a few weeks but the fit seems to be about right. I had to make a slight saddle adjustment along the way but was pretty comfortable. I swapped the carbon seatpost from my old hardtail and the fabric scoop from my old cx bike, along with going from a 100 to 120mm stem. Plus a new headset with a shorter top cap to get it a bit lower. Hands were a little sore at the end and I think I want to change the bars and tape. I don't really like the shape of the drops on these, it's like they cut off the last inch and you don't have a good way to ride in them. Tape is medocre and wrapped the wrong way. The silca stuff I just put on my road bike is sooo nice. The frame bag from my old bike is a little short but I realized I had room to stick a spare tube behind it. Inside is a 3rd water bottle, light jacket in case of t-storms, snacks, tp, sunscreen, and a steripen. Jake wore a hip pack with 2 bottles in it which probably wasn't very comfortable toward the end.

5 miles on the interstate brought us to rock creek.

saw some sheeps

stopped at a bridge that goes into the welcome creek wilderness. If it wasn't wilderness, the trails would probably be maintained and clear and let you cross over the sapphires into the bitterroot right there.

Since you're riding along the creek it's never very steep, plus it was still early and nice and cool

we stopped at a campground and got water

Got to the skalkaho highway, uh, 78mi into the ride. Then it's up to the pass - about 2k feet over 15mi.

The pass is at about 7200ft. Closed during the winter, but groomed and popular for snowmobiling, xc skiing, and fatbikes

Then it's a long way down, over 25mi to hamilton

there's a waterfall. Mile like 100. I filled a bottle and used my steripen, the campground on the way up that I thought would have water appeared to be, like, abandoned. Probably taken over by bears or something

Eventually you get to pavement

There was a headwind and it was like 90f so we had to work a bit to get down there. Then you couldn't go in mcdonalds. I thought a chesseburger and fries and a coke sounded really good. I settled for a coke and a bag of chips at a gas station. Then we went by a burger king that was open.

Then after a mere 50 more miles on bike path into a 95f headwind we made it back to missoula and went to a brewery

it was this far

https://www.strava.com/activities/5576797924

rest of my pictures

https://imgur.com/a/B662wvD

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 12, 2021

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

jamal posted:

There's this loop, that's a really long way, that i've been thinking about doing. Usually you get a ride out of town a bit to do it which avoids boring frontage road and a section of interstate riding but hey why not just try the whole thing. I wouldn't be the first person. Last week a friend was like, hey I'm doing it next weekend, want to go?

South of town is the bitterroot valley. On the west side of the valley are the bitterroot mountains. On the other side of those there are more mountains and Wilderness with a capital "W" and Idaho. On the east side of the valley are the sapphire mountains. On the other side of that is rock creek, and a dirt road that goes all the way up to the skalkaho highway, which then climbs over and takes you to hamilton, which is about 50mi from Missoula. So that's the loop. I'd already mapped it and looked at the route distance and was like "gently caress, that's a long way. I forgot it was that far."

We got a nice early start and were actually rolling by like 6:10 this morning. First stop, clinton store, mile 25, where I topped off water and got a donut. My bike, the new major jake with 38 maxxis ramblers

I haven't ridden it that much but have the fit pretty well dialed in. I had to make a slight saddle adjustment but was pretty comfortable. The frame bag from my old bike is a little short but I realized I had room to stick a spare tube in there. Also inside is a 3rd water bottle, light jacket in case of t-storms, lots of snacks, tp, sunscreen, and a steripen.

5 miles on the interstate brought us to rock creek.

saw some sheeps

stopped at a bridge that goes into the welcome creek wilderness. If it wasn't wilderness, the trails would probably be maintained and clear and let you cross over the sapphires into the bitterroot right there.

Since you're riding along the creek it's never very steep

we stopped at a campground and got water

Then eventually got to the skalkaho highway, uh, 78mi into the ride. You then climb a bit

The pass is at like 7200ft

Then it's a long way down, over 25mi to hamilton

there's a waterfall. Mile like 100. I filled a bottle and used my steripen, the campground on the way up that I thought would have water appeared to be, like, abandoned. Probably taken over by bears or something

Eventually you get to pavement

There was a headwind and it was like 90f so we had to work a bit to get down there. Then you couldn't go in mcdonalds. I thought a chesseburger and fries and a coke sounded really good. I settled for a coke and a bag of chips at a gas station. Then we went by a burger king that was open.

Then after a mere 50 more miles on bike path into a 95f headwind we made it back to missoula and went to a brewery

it was this far

https://www.strava.com/activities/5576797924

That’s a savage ride. I did part of this like last week when I came through Missoula and it was gorgeous. That whole area between Idaho and Montana is just incredibly good riding.

Great job

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Time posted:

That’s a savage ride. I did part of this like last week when I came through Missoula and it was gorgeous. That whole area between Idaho and Montana is just incredibly good riding.

Great job

Did you stop by the ACA bike touring office for your complementary ice cream sandwich?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jamal posted:

There's this loop, that's a really long way, that i've been thinking about doing.
That's some good gravel spirit!

And impressively low HR. Mine always seems to end up in the 160s-170s at the end of long rides when the temp gets up in the 90s.

Awesome ride and excellent trip report as usual.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I rode my bike past a two story bathroom today

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Did you stop by the ACA bike touring office for your complementary ice cream sandwich?

Yeah it was sick as hell. The triple tandem or whatever was really cool and even better once the dude working there told me it was hand built and designed by a guy who was riding across the country with his single digit age daughters. What a badass, biking dad of the century for sure

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Steve French posted:

:eyepop:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Steve French posted:

I call top bunk!

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
some new kit

Is it wrong to mostly ride this thing like a mountain bike? I'm an idiot

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Dreadite posted:

some new kit

Is it wrong to mostly ride this thing like a mountain bike? I'm an idiot

Nope. I put 400-500 miles on my Poseidon and most of it was on mtb trails.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's very right

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Nope. I put 400-500 miles on my Poseidon and most of it was on mtb trails.

Which Poseidon model do you have, and how do you like it? I've been contemplating picking one up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i grabbled up the iron horse trail. didnt want to buy a light just for this so i just held a flashlight while i went through the tunnel. the first time i went through tunnel it was just weird/cool as hell to ride so far through a wet, cool tunnel with random people walking in complete darkness.

but on the way back there was a constant eastward wind so when i got about 100 ft from the entrance on the way back i was hit by a cold blast that went through the tunnel and it was absolutely unreal. like walking into a walk in freezer in 75* weather.

also, this was my first 100km ride, my legs are beat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Was feeling spirited and took my bike down Apex park after climbing Lookout on the weekend. Descents were fast and fun but there was some walking, especially up the steep ramps and up some rocky/rooty switchbacks which was really tough in the heat. Maaaybe might do it again on wider tires. It was a hell of a lot nicer after I remembered to drop the pressure from 45 psi for the road approach to under 30.

Enchanted Forest

Top of Pick-n-Sledge.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

good gravel itt

i finally found some too

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2021

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Went to the middle of Norway and got in some good riding, from the bottom of the valley up to the mountain plateau, ending with a 20km ride down on hard packed gravel.

Even ran into a small place that served home made sweets and coffee
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g2540443-d3388739-Reviews-Fagerdalen_Summer_Farm_Cafe-Hovet_Buskerud_Eastern_Norway.html

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

BraveUlysses posted:

i grabbled up the iron horse trail. didnt want to buy a light just for this so i just held a flashlight while i went through the tunnel. the first time i went through tunnel it was just weird/cool as hell to ride so far through a wet, cool tunnel with random people walking in complete darkness.

but on the way back there was a constant eastward wind so when i got about 100 ft from the entrance on the way back i was hit by a cold blast that went through the tunnel and it was absolutely unreal. like walking into a walk in freezer in 75* weather.

also, this was my first 100km ride, my legs are beat.

Nice, I have never ridden a gravel century and I am considering going from Rattlesnake Lake to Cle Elum and back on the Iron Horse but I don't know if my butt is up for it.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

good gravel itt

i finally found some too

Awesome pics!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

xdice posted:

Which Poseidon model do you have, and how do you like it? I've been contemplating picking one up.

I have a Redwood (size small). The sizing is a bit goofy on em,usually I'm a medium.

The bike has stood up to my abuse. The welds are ugly, the handling is pretty decent, and the stock components are meh. I upgraded my tires to some tubeless maxxis minions. Despite the tires being on the heavier side, they really improved the feel. Stock kendas feel sluggish.

I had some issues with the hanger bending and some skipping on the cassette. Finding a replacement hanger or any other of the oddball parts, can be a pain. The customer service at Poseidon is a black hole for weeks, then they take care of ya.

I put this bike through some questionable poo poo,including a 100 mile gravel race nightmare, loaded it up with 50lbs of bikepacking gear,and throwing it down single track that made my teeth rattle (some at the same time).

It was overall a good experience, but it will never be a forever bike.

Oh, it climbs like a goat. Great gearing for bikepacking and nasty hills. The top gear is ok. Drivetrain is 1x10 microshift. There's odd gaps in the cassette that will, on multiple occasions a ride, have you off your cadence slightly and put you between sweet spots.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 12, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Nice, I have never ridden a gravel century and I am considering going from Rattlesnake Lake to Cle Elum and back on the Iron Horse but I don't know if my butt is up for it.

Awesome pics!

Do it. Bring a water filter for the little stream that follows most of it

e: more

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 12, 2021

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
The Grail 7 AL arrived today and I built it up. Tomorrow it will get a 1 hour shakedown ride.

No surprises in the build, but one thing did stand out to me. I knew it would come with tubes in the tires, and I was just going to go out and buy some valves for the tubeless conversion. The bike, however, came with valves. So I pulled the tubes out, put in the valves and just to see how much air leaked out, I gave it a few easy pumps. Holy crap, the tire sealed, even with the valve cores still installed. Schwalbe G-One Bite 40 mm on DT 1850 rims.

Easiest tubeless setup I have ever worked on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crushed limestone is the best, change my mind. Also switched from my usual SKs to Byways with the SG2 after my last double puncture on the road. They're nice, and considering all the pavement I end up doing, I feel a bit better.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What makes these tires so great on the way up on the dirt makes them terrifying on the way down on pavement. Almost poo poo myself when I braked a little too hard going into a curve at 40 mph and my rear wheel slide 2' to the left and a M Class was coming up the hill in the other lane.

But I made it to the beach.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Gravel is back on the menu for me

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up a set of Gravelking SS 700x38.

Mounting: I am running these tubeless. They easily went on the rims almost all by hand, only needed one tire lever but very low effort. Was able to seat the bead on one tire with the air compressor tank with no valve stem. This wasn't working on the other tire, but I was able to do it with a blast of CO2.

I filled them a bit higher than I normally would other tires - 70 psi. For reference, I weigh 220 lbs and I would normally fill my 700x42 WTB Resolute to around 55-60 psi.

I rode the same route this week as I did last week on the WTB Resolute. Last week was 70° and overcast for the first half of the ride, finishing at 74° and sunny. This week was 75° and sunny to start, and finished at 85° and sunny.

The 20 mile course last weekend averaged 9.1 mph and this week 9.9 mph. I did not perceive a greater effort. My Strava data set a PR on the overall dirt section, however all 2nd place times through the broken down segments through that section. I also set PRs through all of the road segments.

In the dirt, traction on the Gravelking SS did not feel necessarily worse overall. The front tire was a little squirrely through the sandy spots compared to the WTB Resolute, which grip the sand as well as any other surface. I did notice that I was taking turns wider and slower on the Gravelkings, but on the straights they felt very fast. I had no issue with climbing as I thought I would have. The Gravelkings are very good, but not as confident as the WTB, but this is expected as they are more narrow and have a very different tread.

On the road, the Gravelkings felt as good as any slick on the straights. On sharp curves, not quite as confident as pure slicks, but night and day vs the knobby Resolutes, which could get scary. Everything felt fast and I did not feel slogged down at all.

Overall, the Gravelking SS felt stiffer and bumpier than the WTB Resolute, but this is more than likely due to the smaller volume and higher air pressure in the Gravelkings. For where I am riding - wide and relatively straight fire roads with big climbs, they are perfectly fine, and their on road performance makes me feel like I'm not missing anything. I have not rode over big rocks so I can't comment on that, and I would be very hesitant to take it on loose single track with sharp turns, but they are a good compromise for someone riding mixed surfaces. The great on road performance and adequate off road performance leaves me with no regrets switching from the big knobby WTBs.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 14, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rare August rain in socal

Bike is covered in mud.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Went on a gravel ride today, buuuuuut

I planned a 20 mile ride.

Never found that mile 11 turn

I feel a bunch of time, might have hosed the rear derailleur hangar, and I have no idea how i lived.

But i had fun!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

FogHelmut posted:

Rare August rain in socal

Bike is covered in mud.

Where in SoCal? I was out surfing (north San Diego) when that storm came through, got kind of hairy seeing lightning when that storm came through, but it was far inland.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tylertfb posted:

Where in SoCal? I was out surfing (north San Diego) when that storm came through, got kind of hairy seeing lightning when that storm came through, but it was far inland.

This was Black Star Canyon in OC. This wasn't a thunderstorm last week, just a really heavy marine layer that ended up being a light rain and mist all day.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Discovered some close-by routes in Paljassaare peninsula in Tallinn, Estonia today.

Insane 40km/h winds, so I mostly stuck to the heavily tree-covered parts of the place.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

FogHelmut posted:

Bike is covered in mud.

This is my bike every summer morning in Marin :argh:
(because fog)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not much graveling lately because my bike is in race mode. Decided to take it out this afternoon anyway.

I went most of the way to the ski hill but it was getting dark and cold so I turned around

then i had to stop because of turkeys

I will say those tubs are smooth and fast and comfy out on dirt roads, even at higher than normal race pressure with 29 psi front, 32 rear. 27/29 is about as high as I usually go,

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 9, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Registration for the Iowa Wind and Rock opened this week. It's a free gravel ultra that's cue card navigated. I rode it 2021 and I'm planning to do it again for 2022. All in all it's a pretty great event and certainly a tough challenge. Thought I'd mention it in case this was something that would pique anyone's interest. Feel free to hit me up with questions or comments.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Hey Denver goons, I rode the Waterton Canyon Trail this afternoon and I think I need more of this in my life.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Dutymode posted:

Hey Denver goons, I rode the Waterton Canyon Trail this afternoon and I think I need more of this in my life.

Nice! Love that bike. Waterton Canyon remains the only place I’ve ever seen a ringtail.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Thats a cute critter.

Did a 239km ride with 3700m climbing yesterday (strava). There was a stretch of around 4-5 hours where I saw absolutely no one, it was pure bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:eyepop: all of that looks incredible