Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nomyth posted:

I'm also big hot for the 2.5T and this is making it easier to not think about other more powerful cars in the class, but:

vw pls bring this across the pond, thanks and amen :pray:

Unless the Polo becomes an SUV there’s no chance it comes to the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the polo will never ever ever ever come to the US because it won't sell, at all

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The US is cursed to not have that many small fun cars because of our big fat asses and our perception of small cars as being "cheap" and thus conveying less status upon the driver. Also maybe you'll get pasted by someone in a Tahoe running a red light?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The fact they cancelled the regular golf means not a chance in hell for polo GTI, way too much investment to federalize that. :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Was the new Golf R still not on the way, though?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

new golf R and GTI are a go but the base golf didn't sell so its dead. the GTI sold in similar numbers to the base Golf at worst, and for sure way better excluding fleet sales, and i am sure that margins are substantially higher.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

new golf R and GTI are a go but the base golf didn't sell so its dead. the GTI sold in similar numbers to the base Golf at worst, and for sure way better excluding fleet sales, and i am sure that margins are substantially higher.

Kinda weird but it makes sense

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What base model small cars aren't dead now anyways...Corolla & Civic? RIP Focus & Fiesta

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you're now talking about full carlines - all of the Fiesta and Focus are dead, not just the base models. the Golf is the only one I can think of off hand where an OEM killed low end and kept high end - but it was also one of the few cars where the high end outsold the low end.

mini will still sell you their poo poo, and I think you can get a Spark still

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Mazda 3? Kind of a shame they stopped doing the Focus for North America because the latest model is excellent.

Can you still get the Kia Rio in the USA? My mother law just got one and it surprisingly okay for the price.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

dissss posted:

Can you still get the Kia Rio in the USA? My mother law just got one and it surprisingly okay for the price.

In Canada at least you can still get a rio, forte, elantra, and accent I'm pretty sure. Forte5 SX Turbo and Elantra GT N-Line are both hot hatches too as far as I'm concerned.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

for hatches in the US, you can still get
  • Kia Soul
  • Rio
  • Chevy Spark (shocked this one didnt go away)
  • Prius, (they killed that adorable Prius C)
  • Corolla Hatch
  • Mazda 3
  • Hyundai Veloster
  • Hyundai Ioniq
  • Civic hatch
  • Honda Clarity (some new fuel cell/plug in hybrid adventure)
  • Golf (at least until supply runs out)

Only three of those listed above have a hot hatch option. I'll be taking bets on which one dies next.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hopefully the Corolla GR makes that four. Mazda could make it five by adding a manual and LSD option to the Mazda 3 Turbo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Man I wouldn't mind a Mk. 8 but holy poo poo that infotainment is absolutely awful. I'd hope for a mid generation refresh but that seems unlikely.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A mid cycle refresh isn’t that unlikely, but I’d be surprised if it resulted in less capacitive touch stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They can keep that but give me a knob or two. Having to swipe to change volume on the wheel seems awful.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's at the point where we need laws saying certain functions in a car need to be controlled with physical buttons. So far I'm pretty happy with my mk7.5, it has a lot more buttons than my civic had.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Aircon and radio volume should always be real buttons (also preference to like driving dynamic stuff like traction control too being buttons) and all the multimedia poo poo can be touch screen because 99% of the time I drive with the screen completely off. The loving Tesla precedent of just a single gently caress off big iPad is the worst god drat thing. Also capacitive touch steering wheel buttons are the dumbest loving things, nubs and textures allow you to differentiate while focused on the road which is the whole drat point of steering wheel buttons!!!

Wheels should just have an option to disable all buttons tbh. They were better before they got poo poo added to them, like dumb pesky airbags. (This last bit was exaggeration in case it wasn’t obvious, but I am an old man yelling at clouds about poo poo going too far)

The only good modern tech whatever thing are backup cameras and I was very anti them too at first, but living with modern cars with ridiculous C/D pillars they are kind of actually helpful

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is a 10th Gen Civic Sport a hot hatch? Warm hatch? Well, regardless, it’s currently the #1 contender because that transmission + engine combo is excellent and so easy to live with

I got stuck in like 25 minutes of stop+go just marveling at how good the brake hold was vs everybody else

Choosing between a low mile 2018 Civic Sport and an equally low mile CPO 2018 Mazda3 Hatch. $100 difference between the two.

The Civic Sport’s essentially an LX base model with a better engine and shocks. Infotainment’s poo poo/nonexistent and replacing it borks your rearview camera. The transmission is better and the brake hold implementation is marvelous. The seats and surfaces are poo poo. Overall the car seems harder wearing and more utilitarian.

The Mazda3 is a Grand Touring trim, so it’s a way nicer place to be than the Honda. Real leather, heated seats, fancy Bose (lol) radio, all the Mazda Sensing poo poo. Obviously it drives like a Mazda3, which is to say very good, but it doesn’t quite reach the Civic. The manual transmission’s excellent but I prefer the Civic’s, and I’d rather be stuck in traffic with the Civic’s transmission/engine combo. But I’d rather be sat in the Mazda’s interior.

From a depreciation/current value standpoint (lmao) it seems like you’re getting way more value for money with the Mazda. Alternatively, the Honda’s retained its value much better. Regardless, you’re paying way closer to sticker price on the base-to-mid Honda than the top-trim (or close to top trim) Mazda.

The Honda feels like the slightly better driver’s car, and the Mazda feels like the better touring car. It’s weird that brake hold seems to be making so much of a difference but I run the risk of spending a lot of time in traffic.

Both cars feel like they have better manuals than the GTI, ironically enough

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Everything you've said lines up with my experience of the two cars. The civic is also more practical than the Mazda 3 from a space/usability standpoint. The civic is also better if you plan on hooning it around or doing some light tuning. A quick flash can bring the sport up to/past Si numbers (though you're obviously missing bits like the LSD & active suspension). It's also cheaper to maintain than the 3 due to sheer sales volume.

The Mazda is way nicer but that's about it, they aren't really even trying to compete in the same space as the civic anymore. There's some overlap between the 3 and Civic Touring but it ends there.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2021

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Warbird posted:

Man I wouldn't mind a Mk. 8 but holy poo poo that infotainment is absolutely awful. I'd hope for a mid generation refresh but that seems unlikely.

It's inexcusable, they saw what happened with Honda and still thought that was a good idea.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Everything you've said lines up with my experience of the two cars. The civic is also more practical than the Mazda 3 from a space/usability standpoint. The civic is also better if you plan on hooning it around or doing some light tuning. A quick flash can bring the sport up to/past Si numbers (though you're obviously missing bits like the LSD & active suspension). It's also cheaper to maintain than the 3 due to sheer sales volume.

The Mazda is way nicer but that's about it, they aren't really even trying to compete in the same space as the civic anymore. There's some overlap between the 3 and Civic Touring but it ends there.

The answer is clear. Obviously I must buy a decade-old Civic for peanuts that I know won’t give me any trouble and drive it for 2-3 years until I can get my hands on either a Mk7 GTI for unstupid money or an 11th Gen Civic of some sort.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Hopefully the Corolla GR makes that four. Mazda could make it five by adding a manual and LSD option to the Mazda 3 Turbo.

LSD + turbocharged version of the 7500rpm 2.0 from the ND2 Miata would be an awesome Mazdaspeed3. Never gonna happen. But would be cool.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

Choosing between a low mile 2018 Civic Sport and an equally low mile CPO 2018 Mazda3 Hatch. $100 difference between the two.

The Civic Sport’s essentially an LX base model with a better engine and shocks. Infotainment’s poo poo/nonexistent and replacing it borks your rearview camera. The transmission is better and the brake hold implementation is marvelous. The seats and surfaces are poo poo. Overall the car seems harder wearing and more utilitarian.

The Mazda3 is a Grand Touring trim, so it’s a way nicer place to be than the Honda. Real leather, heated seats, fancy Bose (lol) radio, all the Mazda Sensing poo poo. Obviously it drives like a Mazda3, which is to say very good, but it doesn’t quite reach the Civic. The manual transmission’s excellent but I prefer the Civic’s, and I’d rather be stuck in traffic with the Civic’s transmission/engine combo. But I’d rather be sat in the Mazda’s interior.

From a depreciation/current value standpoint (lmao) it seems like you’re getting way more value for money with the Mazda. Alternatively, the Honda’s retained its value much better. Regardless, you’re paying way closer to sticker price on the base-to-mid Honda than the top-trim (or close to top trim) Mazda.

The Honda feels like the slightly better driver’s car, and the Mazda feels like the better touring car. It’s weird that brake hold seems to be making so much of a difference but I run the risk of spending a lot of time in traffic.

Both cars feel like they have better manuals than the GTI, ironically enough

I basically loving hated being in my civic after 3 years fwiw. Just not a comfortable place to be. And I had the better infotainment and seats. I can't speak to the Mazda though. What happened to getting a GTI?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

prom candy posted:

I basically loving hated being in my civic after 3 years fwiw. Just not a comfortable place to be. And I had the better infotainment and seats. I can't speak to the Mazda though. What happened to getting a GTI?

This is exactly how I feel about my '18 Si, I really dislike being inside of it for longer than a few minutes at a time. Infotainment is a terribly old version of Android and extremely unresponsive, the AC controls are a menu deep but it often takes 10+ seconds for the menu to load after hitting the climate control button.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Take the Mazda 3, especially if it has the 2.5 over the 2.0. I loved my 2015 Touring. The technology is better, and the craftsmanship is there. It may be the same class as the Civic, but it sure feels more premium.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ya if I had a stick in my 2.5 mazda3 I wouldn’t have ever sold it it was really great in so many ways.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Coolnezzz posted:

This is exactly how I feel about my '18 Si, I really dislike being inside of it for longer than a few minutes at a time. Infotainment is a terribly old version of Android and extremely unresponsive, the AC controls are a menu deep but it often takes 10+ seconds for the menu to load after hitting the climate control button.

Yeah, even though most of my interaction with the infotainment was CarPlay it was still lovely because it was so slow to register touches and swipes. I pretty much just always put the climate control on auto because that touch menu was so slow and unresponsive. And god forbid if you want to jump around between like radio and carplay because there's no dedicated buttons for anything. I'm surprised there were no major aftermarket alternatives given what a popular car it is and how much everyone hates the infotainment.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Our jeep has the climate control settings buried in the slow touchscreen. I will absolutely refuse to buy a vehicle if it has a setup like that. The FiST has real buttons and a responsive touchscreen, but I still wouldn’t consider it if I couldn’t control where the air went with a physical button.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

prom candy posted:

Yeah, even though most of my interaction with the infotainment was CarPlay it was still lovely because it was so slow to register touches and swipes. I pretty much just always put the climate control on auto because that touch menu was so slow and unresponsive. And god forbid if you want to jump around between like radio and carplay because there's no dedicated buttons for anything. I'm surprised there were no major aftermarket alternatives given what a popular car it is and how much everyone hates the infotainment.

It is pretty loving dire. Apparently you can replace the stock climate control panel with an older one that has a temperature readout, knobs, and fan buttons though wiring mismatches mean you lose the ability to toggle the dual zone climate control. I also love the fact that CarPlay keeps grabbing the focus when I'm listening to the radio though it's hard to tell if that's a Honda problem or an Apple problem.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sounds like the answer is: buy the Mazda, tune the 2.5 into something more fun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

prom candy posted:

GTIs are really overpriced comparatively speaking in my area, and every time that I see one that I actually feel good about buying it’s a 2017 Sport with like 40k-60k miles that somebody wants like $25 grand for.

I don’t want to play into corporate stereotypes, but I just don’t feel right paying 90% of the new retail price, or closer to $30k than 20k, for a four year old German car that no longer has warranty coverage and may/may not have been hooned.

Like, I know that something like a Civic will be relatively trustworthy and fine with a pedigree like that (not the price, obviously), but I don’t have the same illusions about a GTI. Like even on VWvortex nobody’s ever like “oh yeah 60k miles that car’s a puppy it’s just getting started, drive it without fear dude!”

And then you’re getting into the fact that you’re spending “new car” money on a pre-facelift Mk 7 when the Mk 8’s around the corner, and it just kinda soured me on the GTI for now. I’d rather wait 2-3 years and hopefully spend less money on a newer model year car, or even like the same amount of money, but just for something less comparatively old.

Civics are also really overpriced if they’re desirable/rare (hatchbacks are fetching like a $2-4k premium over sedans, and every Sport with a manual that isn’t beat is commanding $20 grand or more (we’re talking like 2018s with 40k miles retailing for within $1k of the msrp when new) but at least they’re cheaper in general.

And then you get to Mazda3s, and those got big refreshes in 2019 (to make them worse), so you can get 2017-2018s in Touring Trim for $16k all day long. Grand Touring for $17-19 if you’re patient. CPO Grand Touring for $20. Like there’s just no comparison with how much more car you get for the money right now.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Yall are saying a lot of words when the real answer is buy a FiST for 14k and drive it into the ground

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yall are saying a lot of words when the real answer is buy a FiST for 14k and drive it into the ground

gently caress me that's a lot of money for those things

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I was looking at Chevy SSs and they currently sell at their MSRP. Weird to see a non-Tacoma with no depreciation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress me that's a lot of money for those things

I mean, isn't this accurate for every used car right now?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

The answer is clear. Obviously I must buy a decade-old Civic for peanuts that I know won’t give me any trouble and drive it for 2-3 years until I can get my hands on either a Mk7 GTI for unstupid money or an 11th Gen Civic of some sort.

Actually a p good move. The 9th gen Si is extremely fun

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coolnezzz posted:

Jesus Christ, gently caress that. More and more used cars are going to suck rear end, and there's gonna be a ten year or more period of "old touch screen cars" that nobody wants because of poo poo like that.

You can try to pry my mechanical climate controls from my cold dead hands :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrLogan posted:

I was looking at Chevy SSs and they currently sell at their MSRP. Weird to see a non-Tacoma with no depreciation.

most of those needed a rebate to get off the lot in the first place.

prices have definitely been hosed up on them for 2+ years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Coolnezzz posted:

I have none of these problems with my 2020.