Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I think this is the best match I got while trying to jump less last night. I only jumped intentionally... twice I think? And once accidentally (my only jump in round one there). Then I panicked when I got cornered and started mashing and lost what should've been a surefire win but that's something I can easily recognize and consciously work on. Something about Millia's pressure just sets off weird alarm bells in my brain and I stop defending rationally. Need to practice that matchup more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1n3gpL8VFk

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

I think this is the best match I got while trying to jump less last night. I only jumped intentionally... twice I think? And once accidentally (my only jump in round one there). Then I panicked when I got cornered and started mashing and lost what should've been a surefire win but that's something I can easily recognize and consciously work on. Something about Millia's pressure just sets off weird alarm bells in my brain and I stop defending rationally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1n3gpL8VFk

i got whopped 6 straight rounds by a millia who just ran up and did whatever she wanted and i had nothing for any of it. her slide has some voodoo jutsu where i subconsciously stop holding down and eat it every loving time

i'm learning you absolutely have to control the pace as may because if you have to burst early and have no meter you are in deep, deep poo poo

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah you definitely had that in the bag and threw from getting scared. When Millia's running wild like that and you have meter either super out or use a yellow RC out of blockstun. I doubt she would've respected reversal super since you hadn't used one yet. Millia will maul May if she has no meter and gets her oki started but May can dominate Millia in neutral just by flailing around j.H to cover air space and if you ever smoke her with a 2H she will explode

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

b_d posted:

i was watching a jiyuna vod of a 15v15 japanese event. sols kept doing fS fS fS pressure and he kept saying “this guy hasn’t watched the sajam video.” so i went looking for the video he was talking about and found it. seems pretty handy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19_Tfn6RtY4

The Sajam video is kind of disingenuous though, because the problem with f.S pressure isn't how to deal with someone who just does fS fS fS forever, it's that the other followups like 6P will frametrap you and then you loving explode.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Sajam video is funny since I can't stand Majin Obama but yeah the real strength of fS is how well it sets up a million other options. fS fS is worth throwing out to check them sometimes though since some people will greed and then burst into flames from counterhit fS into vortex cS clean hit 623H

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Just checking: It is okay if I keep posting videos in here, right? I feel like I'm getting a lot of helpful insight from you guys. :shobon:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What do I (Nago) do against a Ky that literally does nothing but sit at max screen distance and throw projectiles? I can't block them or I die to chip damage - I can't jump over them or he punishes the jump. I can't keep throwing my projectile to cancel it because that will just cap my blood gauge. Surely something gimmicky like that must have a clear counter, but what is it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What do I (Nago) do against a Ky that literally does nothing but sit at max screen distance and throw projectiles? I can't block them or I die to chip damage - I can't jump over them or he punishes the jump. I can't keep throwing my projectile to cancel it because that will just cap my blood gauge. Surely something gimmicky like that must have a clear counter, but what is it?

Nago's super jump is hosed up so you absolutely can get a jump in from basically full screen if you read the projectile. Otherwise just walk him down until you get into 5H range, which is like 3/4 screen if you've got blood. You can also jump in and and just block if he's reading your air attacks and doing DP or whatever.

Also: learn to IB his projectile. It negates chip and makes recovery faster so you can continue closing distance.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah superjumping in is what I was trying, but he anti-aired every single attempt, and kept backdashing if I walked forward while blocking the projectiles so I never really caught up to him.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, just walk at him, you can super jump it and stab him in the face if you read it, or if you think he might anti air you just air block and don't push buttons. Use your projectile when you're close and do your dash covered by it and obliterate that twink.

Edit: Important note for jumping projectiles in pretty much any fighting game: If you jump early, you win. If you jump late, they win. It's like Ryu or Guile in street fighter, you can jump in on them when they throw fireballs but if you wait to actually see it in flight from like full screen, you're gonna eat a DP. You have to be proactive. But yeah also be aware you can just block in the air.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Sajam video is kind of disingenuous though, because the problem with f.S pressure isn't how to deal with someone who just does fS fS fS forever, it's that the other followups like 6P will frametrap you and then you loving explode.

I mean Sajam literally says that at the end. But all those those followups (6p, 6s, etc) eventually give up the turn on block. The point is having, and representing, an option that makes Sol stop trolling and commit to something.

Like, its still a bad time being cornered by Sol, and you're playing RPS at a sharp disadvantage, but that's what you get for getting cornered in the first place.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

As was already said, yeah he can do that, and the video covers that option. If someone is literally just throwing f.S at you repeatedly then yeah you can just hit him. If not though then your problem is already solved, just wait until they stop. Eventually he's going to push a different button trying to frame trap you and either give you an opening to respond, or he's going to try to throw you which you can also beat.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Okay, so I was on the right track at least. Thanks, guys.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Never be afraid to just walk at someone. The corner exists for a reason. Ky's normal fireballs are also kinda awful in this game. The recovery is loving awful and almost the entire cast can blow Ky the gently caress away from almost anywhere on the screen if they call out a fireball. If you block it at mid screen or close as Nago it's a free punish of your choice.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Can't the whole cast just 6P through Ky's fireballs? If he's just sitting at full screen tossing out fireballs, that should let you get close enough to make him rethink his plan

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You definitely can, I've done it a few times, but it kinda sucks to miss on it so I'd rather try a safer option.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yithian posted:

Can't the whole cast just 6P through Ky's fireballs? If he's just sitting at full screen tossing out fireballs, that should let you get close enough to make him rethink his plan

You can but doing that requires timing and isn't that easy to do depending on the size of your character, and is a much more complicated thing to do than just... jump it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
OH poo poo, I HIT RANK 10

I'm gonna get mega-dunked out of here but I did iiiiiittttt

e: lol yeah, kicked down after I dropped combos against an Anji

Skypie fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 8, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
goongrats my dude

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There is basically almost no circumstance where it's worth it to bother 6Ping through a fireball, especially Ky since if you're in range to punish with 6P you can just block and obliterate him as his fireball is garbage on block

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

Just checking: It is okay if I keep posting videos in here, right? I feel like I'm getting a lot of helpful insight from you guys. :shobon:

yes, it's way easier to identify stuff from videos rather than anecdotes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
YRC is good at getting out of sol pressure

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
YRC isnt that good because its expensive, and he still has ways of checking you for trying to escape afterwards

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

All right, guys, I just have to say this. I'm sorry about the other day. I wasn't in a good place for reasons that have nothing to do with vidyagames, disappointed in myself, and said some stupid poo poo. I need to learn to not loving play competitive games in a state like that, let alone write stupid posts on dead comedy forums. Y'all have been more than patient and I appreciate it more than you know. So, thank you, and I'm sorry for being a poo poo.

That over with, here's a hilarious video of me embarrassing myself for two fights straight, then maybe pulling up a little towards the end. You can see some of my corner issues in the first video especially (though some moments are just obviously bad like that psych burst for no reason whatsoever - even I can tell that ain't how you do it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTHsOVNiWg

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

YRC isn’t that good but it’s still an option you need to make sure people respect.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All right, guys, I just have to say this. I'm sorry about the other day. I wasn't in a good place for reasons that have nothing to do with vidyagames, disappointed in myself, and said some stupid poo poo. I need to learn to not loving play competitive games in a state like that, let alone write stupid posts on dead comedy forums. Y'all have been more than patient and I appreciate it more than you know. So, thank you, and I'm sorry for being a poo poo.

don't worry about it, you said nothing offensive, just made it sound like you were ready to give up on fighting games, which is unacceptable.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That over with, here's a hilarious video of me embarrassing myself for two fights straight, then maybe pulling up a little towards the end. You can see some of my corner issues in the first video especially (though some moments are just obviously bad like that psych burst for no reason whatsoever - even I can tell that ain't how you do it).

Your main issue is that you're super averse to just blocking on wakeup, and you bank entirely on your opponent on messing up after you get knocked down. Once you start running into players who know how to punish you for holding up or pressing buttons instead of blocking, that's going to be a big wall to overcome. You seem to recognize this tho, which is how you won in that last match!

You should always default to blocking after you get knocked down, and if you want to do something else, have a reason for doing it. For instance, you might want to jump if you think your opponent is trying to grab you, or press a b lutton if you have conditioned your opponent into expecting super on wakeup. But those should be answers to specific interactions that you expect, blocking should still be your #1 option.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

b_d posted:

don't worry about it, you said nothing offensive, just made it sound like you were ready to give up on fighting games, which is unacceptable.

I'm going to give up if they don't nerf dolphins :mad:

also I'm mad cuz I ate a wake-up super when I know I was blocking and it couldn't possibly be my fault

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Also: learn to IB his projectile. It negates chip and makes recovery faster so you can continue closing distance.

Oh goddamnit, you can instant block projectiles and negate chip? Is this like parry lite from 3S?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So other than some of the really obvious stuff like the burst at the start, don't be so conservative with your meter. You can't keep it after a round, don't die with a stick of butter in your hands. Think of RC as the "actually it's still my turn" button when you get blocked or get a combo going. Also going for Nagoriyuki's big super immediately after blood rage starts is pretty predictable. I don't play Nago much, but you should work on using his command grab (Bloodsucking Universe) to manage your blood meter. Don't forget you can do his command dash and cancel into the bite for extra range.

RevolverDivider posted:

YRC isn’t that good but it’s still an option you need to make sure people respect.

Honestly a lot of iffy options work like that. X may not always be the best, but do it once or twice and now your opponent has to waste mental energy thinking about it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 9, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, I've been using his command grab more, just... not in this video. I'll be honest, I picked the worst match of the day because it showed off the problems better - I've won my fair share of matches today, too. I've been working on getting Fukyo -> Bloodsucking Universe down pat, and I'm not quite there yet, but y'know. Slowly but surely.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Andrigaar posted:

Oh goddamnit, you can instant block projectiles and negate chip? Is this like parry lite from 3S?

3s had a window between 5 and 10 frames (depending on various details) to successfully parry. previous guilty gear games had a window of 8 frames for IB. in strive, the window is 2 frames, lol. i wouldn't count on it as a strategy unless you have godlike timing and consistency.

e: you probably already know this but FD also negates chip*.

* actually i just learned that some moves like fafnir and garuda impact deal some guaranteed chip damage even when you're FDing (!?) but can't kill you. no idea if IB works the same or not.

big deal fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 9, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

b_d posted:

3s had a window between 5 and 10 frames (depending on various details) to successfully parry. previous guilty gear games had a window of 8 frames for IB. in strive, the window is 2 frames, lol. i wouldn't count on it as a strategy unless you have godlike timing and consistency.

Yea, that won't be me then :hmmno:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Try to stay more grounded and block more on your wakeup and in pressure situations. Millia can be hard to block, but I think with some more experience you might have a better idea of when Millia's turn is over and when you might expect an overhead.

Also be careful about whiffing f.S. There were some times you stuck it out on prediction where it wasn't very likely to connect. You can try something like Nago 5K as a predictive move to check dashes. Or just walk forward a bit before pressing fS or 5H, if you're far out.

Your offense looks pretty good. You did a pretty good job keeping them in the corner on one of those early rounds, and you seemed to have a sense of how to continue pressure on block. I'd be careful about throwing out 2H without canceling it though.

Keep an eye out for punish opportunities, also. That's free damage and oki, if you have the matchup knowledge. I did see you block and punish Bad Moon at least once with a combo, which is great. Haircar you should be able to punish with at least a 5K or cS starter. I also saw you bait a burst, but you weren't able to get a punish (maybe it wasn't possible there).

I noticed that you hit some anti airs. Good job, keep that up.

Your homework is to play a match or two where you default to blocking low every time on wakeup, no matter how times they throw you (they might not adapt at all). You can mix in some FD and YRC to get them safely off of you. Try to react to overheads, but if you get hit by one, make a note of what it was (probably a slow 5D).

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, I've been using his command grab more, just... not in this video. I'll be honest, I picked the worst match of the day because it showed off the problems better - I've won my fair share of matches today, too. I've been working on getting Fukyo -> Bloodsucking Universe down pat, and I'm not quite there yet, but y'know. Slowly but surely.

Watching that video I thought there were some moments you could've been a little more aggressive and others you could've been a little more defensive but that's pretty much always the case, and that's how mental games work anyway, and you had some pretty good cancels, delays, and spacing in there for sure. The Millia going negative a bunch during one of those matches meant you were messing with their head and making them uncertain and guess a lot. Not bad at all yo.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Fallen back to 8 now and again I'm struggling to get these wake-up supers, and it drives me insane. there's so many instances where it would've saved me or I could've at least RC'd it to get out of a sticky situation.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Keep getting bounced out of heaven. Had a weird time today with a lot of matches crashing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am officially not having fun with this game anymore. I’m using a rushdown character but every single time I try to rush down I just get punished. Every single time I block I just get punished. Every time I try to input a goddamn special move it fails and I just get punished. I am enjoying none of this.

Should I just not play Gio? Or just, I dunno, play something else entirely?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I am officially not having fun with this game anymore. I’m using a rushdown character but every single time I try to rush down I just get punished. Every single time I block I just get punished. Every time I try to input a goddamn special move it fails and I just get punished. I am enjoying none of this.

Try picking someone else. I got into this with MK9 being the last fighting game I tried to play seriously. I went with Gio first as well since she seemed easy with a ground dash and simple combos, but not knowing how to block properly (compared to just having a block button) kept loving me over. I found Nago was good to force myself to learn how to block properly and to not just try to spam special moves or airdash in to win. Someone else might be good for you to learn with, and you can swap back to Gio after you get the basics down.

Edit: For learning special moves, go to the dojo and turn on your input display in the options and watch what the stick says vs your muscle movement. I found out my stick wasn't registering properly after doing so and a controller swap + 5 minutes of dojo training helped me get the muscle memory back for quarter circles and DPs (although I still need to practice doing half circle back+forward for most of the supers in combos instead of raw).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

as someone who is in the middle of learning all this poo poo here's where you start asking questions of yourself

why did your offense not work? are you using unsafe poo poo and getting punished? (dustloop.com has frame data if you haven't looked it up yet) are you predictable? are you blindly running into their chest with no plan? if you knocked them down are you timing your meaties correctly? etc etc

defensively it's just a matter of paying attention to how you got hit. because you're going to get hit by poo poo multiple times until you figure out how to defend it. i faced a gio a few days ago who crossed me up to death with her kick for three rounds. once i trained myself to block the overhead i beat them because it was their only trick

as for the specials you're going to have to lab those. do ten motions from each side, then 20, then 50. or switch to a charge character so all you're doing is [4]6HSTOTSUGEKI all game

Floodkiller posted:

Edit: For learning special moves, go to the dojo and turn on your input display in the options and watch what the stick says vs your muscle movement. I found out my stick wasn't registering properly after doing so and a controller swap + 5 minutes of dojo training helped me get the muscle memory back for quarter circles and DPs (although I still need to practice doing half circle back+forward for most of the supers in combos instead of raw).

if you don't mind being sloppy 632146 will come out with a 360 motion so churn that poo poo