Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my wife that she already did enough damage?

this dude shoulda ran once she started getting into essential oils and home birthing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I dunno I kind of stand with shrimp guy tbh, he's not breaking any laws

Extremely would not bet on that, especially since he's now selling his garage shrimp (to who?????)

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I admire shrimp guy's entrepreneurial spirit. It's probably not cool with whatever zoning regulations, but he could take it to the next level by charging people to catch their own in his pools, maybe even cooking / serving the catch on premises (OK, this would definitely be against some kind of code). I tried indoor shrimp fishing in Taiwan a few times, it's pretty fun.

Kind of curious, would shrimp be considered livestock in this case? Wikipedia notes that the term usually refers to domesticated animals raised in an agricultural setting, and that the USDA excludes poultry and fish from the category. If the landlord wanted to shut him down, what would be the most probable legal option?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

gloom posted:

I admire shrimp guy's entrepreneurial spirit. It's probably not cool with whatever zoning regulations, but he could take it to the next level by charging people to catch their own in his pools, maybe even cooking / serving the catch on premises (OK, this would definitely be against some kind of code). I tried indoor shrimp fishing in Taiwan a few times, it's pretty fun.

Kind of curious, would shrimp be considered livestock in this case? Wikipedia notes that the term usually refers to domesticated animals raised in an agricultural setting, and that the USDA excludes poultry and fish from the category. If the landlord wanted to shut him down, what would be the most probable legal option?

Probably some language in the lease pertaining to water damage

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

Probably some language in the lease pertaining to water damage

Shrimp guy was set up in a garage, right? A place with concrete flooring that leads out onto a driveway?

I don't see any reason why "water damage" is a major concern. Running a DIY shrimp farm in a basement or someplace where water won't naturally drain out into a stone and earth based environment would be a major concern. The driveway and street getting wet from shrimp runnoff is not.

edit: Actually I read the comments and the whole "running a business" aspect is probably the most reasonable concern. Shrimp guy probably doesn't have the licenses or permits to do any of the stuff he's done and is planning to sell his DIY shrimp to other people from that house.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 9, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, running a business from a residential home is probably not ok without permits in most urban places. Selling things for human consumption without appropriate permits and inspections is probably even less likely to be legal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Shrimp guy was set up in a garage, right? A place with concrete flooring that leads out onto a driveway?

I don't see any reason why "water damage" is a major concern. Running a DIY shrimp farm in a basement or someplace where water won't naturally drain out into a stone and earth based environment would be a major concern. The driveway and street getting wet from shrimp runnoff is not.

Discharge of shrimp food/shrimp/shrimp poop to the storm sewer could be a pretty bad thing, a several thousand gallon unplanned release sounds like a DEC nightmare. Could end up with waterways with explosive kelp growth or something, I have no idea what shrimp eat and if it’s good fertilizer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

mind the walrus posted:

You find that a lot in the healthcare industry-- people who are very smart in some things, or at least think they are-- who feel that their willingness to genuinely and sincerely help others buys them "credit" to justify their superiority complex. I mean it's turtles all the way loving down there, with inferiority complexes inside of superiority complexes and so on like some 4D cube of constantly oscillating bullshit, but I absolutely have met people like your dad and probably would be more like that myself if I didn't grow up around other entitled brats and realized how miserable it makes you in the end.

I know the type, and that was so unlike my dad that it was bizarre. I had self-esteem and depression issues (my idea of "average" definitely was skewed growing up in a National Laboratory community), my best guess is that it was his attempt to help me tackle those, but ended up as a trainwreck.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t really see the problem with running a bakery in your garage tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

It’s the best place to make food for human consumption tbh.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

haveblue posted:

When you open a restaurant, the board of health comes and inspects it to make sure it's clean and you're following all the rules. If you run a business that sells food out of your garage that they don't know about, because you haven't filed a business license so they know to check on you once a quarter or what have you, they can't make sure you're avoiding cross contamination, don't have pests, are storing your ingredients safely, etc and someone who eats your kolaches could get sick. These are the kinds of laws that are good.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for driving away from a “hiking trip” with my boss’s husband?

quote:

I (f26) recently moved to a new city after getting a job. I’ve been having a hard time making friends. Most of the people I know so far are from work. We all get along but we aren’t close, more like acquaintances.

My boss “Sue” has been very welcoming since I moved. She often has us all over for dinner and loves to celebrate whenever there’s a birthday/baby/big milestone in the team. Last week, I was out to lunch with Sue and a few other coworkers when Sue told me about a hiking group her husband runs and how it’s a great way to meet people. She said he’d be leading a hike on Monday (this past Monday) and the whole team should go since it's a holiday. Monday was my bday but I hadn’t told anyone and I didn’t have any other plans so I said yes to the hike.

I drove to the meeting spot on Monday, which is kind of remote and up in the hills. Nobody was there when I arrived besides Sue’s husband “Greg”. I asked him where everyone was. He said no one else could make it and it would just be us on the hike. It was early morning and still dark and I didn’t know Greg other than seeing him in passing at Sue’s house. I knew he was probably a nice guy but I felt nervous going hiking in a dark, remote area with a man who was practically a stranger.

I called Sue and she told me that something came up with her kid but I should go, it’ll be worth it for the view, etc. I still felt unsettled and asked Greg if we could postpone for a day when others can come. He got frustrated, saying it’s no big deal and we should hurry up and start. I was more nervous at that point and thanked him before saying I was going to head home. That upset him even more and he came toward me and asked me if I thought he was a serial killer. He seemed angry so I panicked and jumped in the car saying I had to go. He kept yelling at me to stop as I drove away.

I was on the way home terrified when Sue called me. Apparently the “hiking trip” was a cover for a surprise bday party the team was throwing me at the lookout point. She found out my bday through facebook and Greg was just supposed to lead me there. I felt terrible and offered to drive back but Sue was pissed and said I ruined it for everyone and made Greg feel like a creeper. Now the environment at work is tense. Sue and my coworkers only talk to me when they need something and they didn’t invite me to team lunch. I feel like I really messed up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"We'll make you meet up with a man you don't know. In the dark. Miles from anywhere. Surprise!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Unfortunately it ends up being pretty bad for your work prospects when your boss wins a prize this stupid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's so hosed up. I can only assume the doctor was a white male and you aren't.

Nope, white and male. I have no idea what his damage was but I'm very grateful to that ER doctor for having my back.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for driving away from a “hiking trip” with my boss’s husband?

Hahahaha holy poo poo. How does Sue not get how loving terrifying that would be?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

All she had to do was be there with her husband so at least someone she knew was walking too. Even if she felt a bit weird walking with just them until the reveal.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Invisible Clergy posted:

Those kids are definitely growing up well-adjusted with no problems. We won't see their partner's posts in 10 years, nosir.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah this is the angle I'm coming from. It seems incongruous when the OP says the nephew has "always acted out" but also that they apparently definitively know he doesn't have any disorders and does well in school (when he's not being a lazy little poo poo). Like I know kids can do some really stupid things, especially when bored/attention-starved, but something about this "committed super hard to rolling down a hill, like really, really committed, no like he would've rolled across a busy highway giving zero shits if he could've" situation has me going :raise: with the bow on top being that the OP outright says they have a grudge against this literal child.

That said, I could just as easily see the kid being like "this party is stupid and boring I'm gonna roll down this hill just for fun :cool: no wait gently caress stop ow gently caress"

:same:

"aw poo poo this is mortifying I know I'll pretend I had a seizure"

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Bruceski posted:

That's probably the only thing I ever flat-out fought my dad on. Near the end of high school he tried to explain to me that I was a lot smarter than most people I'd encounter and I pushed back hard because the way he was saying "smarter" sounded like "better". It was bizarre, didn't seem at all to mesh with how he usually was; in general he always made time for people, happy to lend a hand and seeing them as people even in incidental contact. We never talked about it afterward, I didn't realize it was something I wanted closure on until it was too late.

Good on you for figuring that out so young. My dad raised me on the idea that we were smarter than everyone else and I should be ready for pushback and feeling like I was above everyone else. It was absolutely like we were better than everyone else.
I didn't figure my poo poo out until I was like 30, and that unjustified feeling of superiority still creeps in sometimes.
I can't blame the man on it too much - he came up in a relatively poor rural community, worked as a meat cutter to put himself through law school, passed the bar on the first try, did so much cocaine and Canadian club that he went back to meat cutting, and he's dead now.
I just try to make sure I don't gently caress up my own son in the same way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I saw this on nextdoor just now and thought of this thread.

I’ll give you one guess what the 300+ replies are saying lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

Ditch the fiance, keep the dog?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Ditch the fiance, keep the dog?

Pretty much.

With a splattering of “you really didn’t try that hard to fix the situation” “the dog knows what’s up”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pentyne posted:

edit: Actually I read the comments and the whole "running a business" aspect is probably the most reasonable concern. Shrimp guy probably doesn't have the licenses or permits to do any of the stuff he's done and is planning to sell his DIY shrimp to other people from that house.
If it broke catastrophically it would briefly flood the garage before draining away, which could lead some if it to drain into the house.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Discharge of shrimp food/shrimp/shrimp poop to the storm sewer could be a pretty bad thing, a several thousand gallon unplanned release sounds like a DEC nightmare. Could end up with waterways with explosive kelp growth or something, I have no idea what shrimp eat and if it’s good fertilizer.
Either the shrimp survive and you've just released a huge breeding population of an invasive species or the shrimp die and turn into fertiliser.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MarcusSA posted:

She is absolutely mistreating the dog when he can't see.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If shrimp dude has saltwater tanks there's a lot of problems he could get into with them if a tank ruptures. Could easily ruin his lawn or a neighbors if there's a tank failure. And on top of that a lot of places won't allow saltwater pools and such to be drained into the storm drains or the streets because it'll run off into streams/etc, so draining them requires a hazardous waste truck to pump them out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where I live you are not allowed to put anything into the storm drains. Only rain.
Salt water can't go into the sewer drains either, because the salt will poison the treatment tanks at the water plant.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

She is absolutely mistreating the dog when he can't see.

The person selling the dog is the she, the person the dog hates is the he. They even used the correct form of fiancé!

That poor dog :smith:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

I think there's some folk in Florida right now who would be very interested to hear about how water damage is no big deal to concrete. Especially because a garage floor is unlikely to be graded for runoff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
My (27F) husband (31M) has an alternate identity who completely hates me

quote:

Short-backstory and context: We have been married for 4 years, dated for 3 years before that. He disclosed to me that he has DID (dissociative identity disorder) on our second date and has always been completely open with me about his past trauma as a child and his problems with his mental health.

Our relationship isn't always a walk in the park as he has several distinct personalities that have different likes/dislikes, temperaments and require different levels of care (for example he has a child alter who is five years old and needs the same level of supervision and attention). All of his alters know me and who I am but I can only talk to them one at a time. Over the years I've gotten to know all of them and can tell pretty quickly who is who. The switches can be frustrating, tiring, confusing but I love him deeply and all relationships are complex in their own way. Just wanted to preface everything with this!

Current issue: I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant, we weren't really planning to have a child but we weren't diligently trying to prevent it either - we've talked about having kids and both of us would like to start a family and we've just kind of been leaving it up to nature to do (or not do) it's thing - whats meant to be will be and all that jazz. When I took the pregnancy test at home and it came back positive, I told him right away and he almost immediately switched to his child alter who was really upset and confused about the situation and kept asking what would happen to him when the baby got here.

I asked to talk to my husband and a tantrum followed. I didn't get to speak to him - or any of his grown up alters for the rest of that day. When he came back in the middle of the night he said he knew about the pregnancy as he remembered me telling him before he switched, said "that's great" and went to sleep. Following the pregnancy announcement I began to notice that for a few hours a day he'd be in a state where he was exhibiting mannerisms, speech patterns and behaviours I didn't recognise to be any of the alters he's had the entire time we've known each other. I know big life events can trigger the emergence of a new alter and that's totally fine. But this new alter state is extremely cold towards me, doesn't want to talk to me, asks to be left alone and is just generally a real rear end to be around.

This alter does things my husband and any of his existing alters have never done in the time I've known him, when he's really aggravated he yells at me, calls me names, slams doors, throws things that have narrowly missed me, sends me horrible text messages, and on one occasion after an argument he took off for 7 hours, took our only car and the keys, locked the house behind him, leaving me locked inside the entire time he was gone. When my husband is here he tells me that he doesn't remember any of these things and I believe him. This isn't that abnormal as his alters have varying levels of awareness of each other - some of them spectate on each other's actions, some of them communicate events with each other and some don't know the other exists and won't know what they've been doing as that alter. I'm used to my husband not knowing details of his day or not remembering things, but all of the alters he's had in the time i've know him have been kind, pleasant and really importantly they all like me and we get along. This one is entirely different, and for the first time in our relationship I feel anxious around him as I don't know if I'm going to get this new rear end in a top hat alter when he wakes up in the morning or when he switches due to environmental or emotional triggers throughout the day.

I'm stressed beyond belief and I don't really know what to do. I've tried to talk to him but he doesn't remember the things I'm telling him have upset me - like being yelled at during breakfast an hour before because I made eggs when this person I literally don't know apparently hates them. It isn't my husband doing these things, but it also is in the sense that physically it's his body in front of me. I can't talk to the alter in question as I absolutely don't want to trigger a bigger emotional response from them.

Basically I've scoured every search result for anything remotely similar to this, read a dozen quora posts, looked at advice for loved ones of people with DID and nothing is really helping me in my specific situation. So I'm writing it all out here, second guessing a lot of the things I've experienced. I just need impartial advice, I don't want to treat my husband unfairly over something he has no control over but I'm also very shaken by what's happening in our relationship especially as I'm pregnant and need to be focusing on having a secure loving environment in place now more than ever.

TLDR: My husband who has DID has developed a new alter who hates me and everything I do.

This is the "hollywood" portrayal of DID which means it absolutely is him faking it for attention or to be abusive with an excuse

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 9, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

pentyne posted:

My (27F) husband (31M) has an alternate identity who completely hates me

Why the gently caress would you choose to have children with this???

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Theophany posted:

Why the gently caress would you choose to have children with this???

He is probably really rich. Do you know the cost of a second life?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Toplowtech posted:

He is probably really rich. Do you know the cost of a second life?

She's already married to him though if she's in it for the money :shrug:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Went digging for comments by OP, and this was all I could find:

OP posted:

He's currently in between psych teams as we've just moved across the country or this would be my first port of call

Surprising absolutely no-one, but good lord is reddit's interface the absolute worst.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my BIL that my ''mexican rear end'' can fix the roof before he says another xenophobic joke?

quote:

My (25F) family moved to the US when I was 10 and I met my husband (25M) five years after that on our sophomore year, it was really fun back then because we live in a small town and thus our houses were pretty close so when we always carpooled on our ride to school and back home and spent a lot of time at each others house.

My husband has an older sister (27F) with whom I used to be close but since she began to date and then marry her current husband ''J'' (30M) her behavior towards me and my family has changed. J is extremely xenophobic and I'm obviously mexican, so this mix has created some bitterness whenever my husband's family gets together to celebrate, his comments towards me began being small; '' are you here to steal my gf too?'', ''everyone don't tell OP where you work, she might get hungry'' and things like that while my SIL looked at me from the back, ashamed. To be honest I never pay attention to him, I was there to enjoy with my husband and our family, not to fight with a small minded man.

My husband is a great man, very intelligent and a great cook, but he doesn't know how to fix things around the house and I take great pride at doing it, my dad is a plumber so he taught me some things and is the person we call when we need something like that.

Yesterday was my MIL birthday and we went to her house to do small celebration, my SIL mentioned that she needed someone to fix the roof since she told BIL about two or three months ago and he hasn't done anything about it yet, he laughed and then looked at me saying ''I bet your husband is happy, he has your mexican rear end doing all the work around the house'', I said what's in the title and he tried to argued back but I added '' Save it, I might as well do your nails when I'm done'' and smiled back at him. He obviously lost his poo poo and it's demanding that I apologize for embarrassing in front of his wife and his family, I said no. My husband family isn't even mad at me, just him and my SIL.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Went digging for comments by OP, and this was all I could find:

Surprising absolutely no-one, but good lord is reddit's interface the absolute worst.

here's a really good exchange

quote:

Wow. Thats Not how DID symptoms presents. Your husband is mimicing how it is falsely portrayed in movies. Your husband does have mental health issues.. but its Not DID. It sounds wayyyyy more like borderline personality disorder. He needs to see a mental health provider asap. Please, take some time to learn about what DID really is.

OP posted:

Thank you but he's had a professional diagnosis and consistent psychiatric therapy for the last ten years. Why would anyone pretend to have DID? I think you need to learn about BPD and how that presents as this is a very thoughtless and mean spirited way to frame another equally stigmatised group of people with mental illness.

quote:

I'm in the research sector. People that are faking DID have a cast of characters all with names, ages, backstories and they switch often. If one moment they are Timmy the 5 year old, and the next they are Uncle Billy the 57 year old farmer.. that person is faking. People that are actually experiencing DID struggle with depersonalization, derealization, unexplained loss of memory. People with DID do not know they have alters, the alters do not interact with eachother. People with DID view themselves as forgetful and disengaged. They will have weeks or months of time they cannot really account for, but usually stick to the same routine during these episodes. Episodes can be as often as weekly, or as rarely as once every few years.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

here's a really good exchange

Oh to be a fly on a wall

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not paying for friend’s brother’s rehab even though I have the money for it?

quote:

I (20F) recently inherited money from my grandmother’s estate. I didn’t tell everyone about it, but I did tell a few of my close “friends”. Somehow, by the end of the week, everyone in our friend group (and other acquaintances) knew about the large sum of cash I now owned. Like bees to honey, they started gathering around me and asking for favors. It was easier to decline favors to acquaintances, but one friend (21F) asked me for a huge favor, and it put me on the spot.

Her brother (19M) has been addicted to coke since high school. They’ve sent him to a rehab center before, but he relapsed and continues to abuse the substance. They claim that the rehab he previously attended wasn’t good or expensive enough, and that’s why he didn’t get the proper care he needed. She asked me to pay for his rehab, but this would cost nearly $100k. Our other friends were trying to get me to agree, but I had to decline.

I want to be a doctor one day, and I know that taking loans and being broke during med school are two downsides to this path. I calculated the costs, and with the money I have now, I can just barely get through med school without being plagued with loans or being completely broke. I don’t want to give her the money because a) I don't know either of them that well, and b) I don’t know if this will help him or if he’ll relapse again. I told them I couldn’t do that, and everyone is telling me I’m the bad guy. They said that this could completely change an entire family’s lives, especially that of the addicted brother. They say I’m selfish and have the power to change a life for the better, but I choose not to. They even said I shouldn’t even consider being a doctor because I clearly “have no empathy for human life”. Ouch, that one stung.

A lot of people stopped talking to me and many call me selfish. They are blaming ME that her brother will be addicted forever and they don’t have the money to pay for it. It’s making me upset, and I know I shouldn’t listen to them, but it’s making me wonder if what they said was true. I know I’m not responsible for him, but AITA?

jesus christ

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Do not give the coke addict 100k dollars for rehab

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Biplane posted:

Do not give the coke addict 100k dollars for rehab

what could go wrong? no one has nostrils that big! there's no way he could snort 100k of coke!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for not paying for friend’s brother’s rehab even though I have the money for it?
The lesson, as usual, is to never tell anyone the details of your finances unless there's a goddamned compelling reason.

The other lesson is learning how to tell "friends" to gently caress off forever, because anybody who tries to guilt-trip you now is going to be doing so later too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It's real easy to spend other people's money.