Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

Many disabled people can work part/full time jobs with a support network. Tons of these cases are a result of the family coddling their special boy (it's almost always the son) never pushing for improvement or growth of any kind. Whether the support network exists is going to be a big part of the equation but quite often its a matter of the 'sensitive' child being enabled heavily by the parents.

Coddling feels a bit much for what's usually doing the bare minimum and responding to any requests for help or emotional problems with blank stares. Doesn't do many favours for neurotypical kids either. All those NEETs are basically indoor feral children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

therobit posted:

Wrong thread’s lore.

Pnurtis transcends threads and forums

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

please knock Mom! posted:

Does this mean you’re getting a child seat for the peloton?

:drat:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone at my office quit today after working there for 9 years.

They would have qualified for a pension (it would have been a greatly reduced one, but still...) if they stayed another year.

The reason they quit?

Unvaccinated people are required to wear masks in the office. This person was going mask-less and also telling people about how they heard about all these side-effects of the vaccine and that mRNA can potentially alter your genes.

Another employee reported them to HR to make them wear a mask because they assumed they weren't vaccinated. The person claimed they were vaccinated, HR asked them to bring in proof or wear a mask until you do, and then they quit.

That was a very expensive solution to avoiding a 10 cent mask or a free vaccine.

Hopefully not too political, but the amount of “cut ones nose to spite your face” that has gone on through the whole pandemic is just mind blowing.

Hospitals in rural Missouri are at 90-100% capacity because people there refuse to get vaccinated (vaccine rates are as low as 20%) and people are literally dying because they refuse to believe science.

And of course, a side affect is it also hurts poor and minority communities that sometimes may not get the same access to either vaccines or medical care that others get.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 8, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

also :ssh: you can open a 529 with yourself as the beneficiary and change the beneficiary later

Heck you can open 529's for anyone you want as long as you have their SSN. And then years later when it's full of money you can give it to them or just cash it out for yourself (and pay the associated taxes).

In short, 529's are great if you want to be the best grandpa in the world and they're also great if you want to be the meanest grandpa in the world.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

please knock Mom! posted:

Does this mean you’re getting a child seat for the peloton?

:golfclap:

Well done guys.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Wells Fargo tells customers it’s shuttering all personal lines of credit

quote:

When it was offered, the credit lines had variable interest rates ranging from 9.5% to 21%.

quote:

One customer said the change is prompting him to switch banks after more than a decade with Wells Fargo. Tim Tomassi, a Portland, Oregon, programmer, said he used a personal line of credit linked to his checking account to avoid expensive overdraft fees.

"It's a bit upsetting," Tomassi said in a phone interview. "They're a big bank, and I'm a small person, and it feels like they're making decisions for their bottom line and not for customers."

Taking out a 21% APR loan to avoid "expensive overdraft fees" and getting so mad that you will switch banks to find a new one that will offer you a 21% APR loan instead of just getting a credit card, not overdrafting, using a bank without overdraft fees, linking a savings account to your checking, or getting notification that you are overdrafting to avoid doing it repeatedly without realizing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have a LoC like that on my old credit union account. It's convenient since you'll get dinged on fees if you have too many savings account overdraft transfers. But since it's an unsecured loan for thousands of dollars you generally need good credit to qualify and the kind of people who have them aren't likely to keep a balance.

So it's not making Wells Fargo any money. They'd rather you keep a larger checking account balance or pay a NSF fee.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The places I have worked offered overdraft lines of credit to people with marginal credit. If you are a person who cares about the rate, you likely won’t carry much of a balance so you only pay a couple days interest and won’t be losing money on it. But a lot of people would never look at their account and max the thins out never thinking they had overdrafted because their debit card still works.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

"It's a bit upsetting," Tomassi said in a phone interview. "They're a big bank, and I'm a small person, and it feels like they're making decisions for their bottom line and not for customers."

... Yes...? :confused:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

The places I have worked offered overdraft lines of credit to people with marginal credit. If you are a person who cares about the rate, you likely won’t carry much of a balance so you only pay a couple days interest and won’t be losing money on it. But a lot of people would never look at their account and max the thins out never thinking they had overdrafted because their debit card still works.

None of the banks I worked at ever offered checking account LoC's, so I'm making some assumptions on the type of customers who qualify for them.

Banks happily give out tens of thousands of dollars in unsecured loans to customers, but I think checking account LoC's carry more risk. Someone who maxes out their credit card will keep paying the minimum payments for years, but if you're in a spot where you max out your overdraft protection then poo poo's going sideways. So Wells Fargo's making no money off people who pay off their balances every month and losing money off customers who max out their LoC's. Also it's a poo poo bank, but that's a given.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

So it's not making Wells Fargo any money. They'd rather you keep a larger checking account balance or pay a NSF fee.

I have a friend that used to work for a small bank and he said they make the most money from their poorest customers. Those $30 NSF fees add up. Rich/financially stable people don't overdraft much and the amount they actually keep in a checking account tops off fast. The bank can't make much off the interest anyway as the money has to stay liquid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Wafer posted:

According to their financial documents, they were making Wells Fargo about 3% of their profit each year. They weren't key to their business, but they were getting tens of millions of dollars a year from these automatic loans.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
More info/speculation on why WF is doing this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/wells-fargo-is-shutting-down-all-personal-line-of-credit-accounts-.html posted:

Wells Fargo CEO Charles Scharf has been forced to make difficult decisions during the coronavirus pandemic, offloading assets and deposits and stepping back from some products because of limitations imposed by the Federal Reserve. In 2018, the Fed barred Wells Fargo from growing its balance sheet until it fixes compliance shortcomings revealed by the bank’s fake accounts scandal.

The asset cap has ultimately cost the bank billions of dollars in lost earnings, based on the balance sheet growth of rivals including JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America over the past three years, analysts have said.

It has also affected Wells Fargo’s customers: Last year, the lender told staff it was halting all new home equity lines of credit, CNBC reported. Months later, the bank also withdrew from a segment of the auto lending business.

With its latest move, Wells Fargo warned customers that the account closures “may have an impact on your credit score,” according to a frequently asked questions segment of the letter.

Another part of the FAQ asserted that the account closures couldn’t be reviewed or reversed: “We apologize for the inconvenience this Line of Credit closure will cause,” the bank said. “The account closure is final.”

Krispy Wafer posted:

None of the banks I worked at ever offered checking account LoC's, so I'm making some assumptions on the type of customers who qualify for them.
When I opened my first bank account in college, they gave me a $1000 LoC along with it. As a college student. Who worked maybe 10 hours a week for min wage. I don't think I had anything contributing to a credit score yet other than my student loans existing.

I never touched it, but I can imagine the bank made money off that in general - low enough amount of money that the bank doesn't have too much on the line, but enough that you could get a lot of financially illiterate college students to use it and pay interest on it. (And this bank had a branch in the student union building, so that sort of targeting wouldn't be unexpected)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Haifisch posted:

When I opened my first bank account in college, they gave me a $1000 LoC along with it. As a college student. Who worked maybe 10 hours a week for min wage. I don't think I had anything contributing to a credit score yet other than my student loans existing.

I also got a checking account LOC as a college student, it was for at least $2-3k. I drew out like $1500 or so to help buy my first motorcycle. (Limited BWM as I paid it back in 1 or 2 months) I doubt I had any credit back then.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The bigger reason to have them is that they are what is called a “sticky” product. They help keep customers around in a couple of ways. People like knowing that is they accidentally overdraft they won’t get hit with that $35 fee. They can also prevent someone leaving in a huff over said fee. But probably the most important part is that if you are strapped for cash and want to close your account, you probably don’t have 2 grand to pay to close it down. Usually a condition of the LOC is having that checking account.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

According to their financial documents, they were making Wells Fargo about 3% of their profit each year. They weren't key to their business, but they were getting tens of millions of dollars a year from these automatic loans.

3% of a bank profit isn't chump change. Maybe they determined they could make 3.1% from extra overdraft fees if they got rid of the LoC's.

But the asset-cap-slap-on-the-wrist-punishment that Haifisch cited is probably the reason.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 9, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s kind of funny how the asset cap is probably going to cost Wells Fargo more money than the $3 billion fine they got hit with.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s kind of funny how the asset cap is probably going to cost Wells Fargo more money than the $3 billion fine they got hit with.

A Good Start.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Except when idiots came by.

Knew a guy a few companies ago who would brag about buying non-impact Craftsman sockets, use them on his car in an impact gun, and then bring them in for warranty when they broke.

Had to think that the money he spent on gas would have long paid for an impact set.

How were his medical bills not higher than an equally priced set of impact sockets as compared to chrome? Do not impact chrome sockets, not because they will break but because they will shatter and send metal shards into you.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

…people are literally dying because they refuse to believe science.

Guest2553 posted:

A Good Start.

Sorry (not sorry)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If you have a taxable brokerage account over mid-five figures at a bank, they will pitch a securities-backed line of credit at you capped at like half of the value of your traded assets.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

If you have a taxable brokerage account over mid-five figures at a bank, they will pitch a securities-backed line of credit at you capped at like half of the value of your traded assets.

If you already have the securities to borrow against, couldn't you write calls on treasury notes for the same effect and probably a lower interest rate?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

pentyne posted:

Many disabled people can work part/full time jobs with a support network. Tons of these cases are a result of the family coddling their special boy (it's almost always the son) never pushing for improvement or growth of any kind. Whether the support network exists is going to be a big part of the equation but quite often its a matter of the 'sensitive' child being enabled heavily by the parents.

This happened to three different men in my life (two childhood friends and a brother in law) where they were heavily coddled by their families and for all three of them they are currently trying to fix the shattered remains of their life when they woke up at 35 with no education beyond high school, no work history, no relationship, extremely poor social skills etc etc. They are all neurotypical and basically didn't realize they should push out of their comfort zones because it was all they knew from birth. For two of them it was because the families could no longer support them, for one he just woke up one day and realized he wasn't a kid anymore and the lifestyle of anime, video games, and mcu merch wasn't enough for him. They all are very angry and sad people now working bad retail jobs.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

crazypeltast52 posted:

Isn't this what the ultra-wealthy do for living expenses, since their investment income is taxed much, much lower than wage-based income? I feel like the ProPublica story on the billionaire class paying very low taxes talked about this. Of course, their LoC's are like $10M

Edit: https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax

quote:

For regular people, borrowing money is often something done out of necessity, say for a car or a home. But for the ultrawealthy, it can be a way to access billions without producing income, and thus, income tax.

The tax math provides a clear incentive for this. If you own a company and take a huge salary, you’ll pay 37% in income tax on the bulk of it. Sell stock and you’ll pay 20% in capital gains tax — and lose some control over your company. But take out a loan, and these days you’ll pay a single-digit interest rate and no tax; since loans must be paid back, the IRS doesn’t consider them income. Banks typically require collateral, but the wealthy have plenty of that.

The vast majority of the ultrawealthy’s loans do not appear in the tax records obtained by ProPublica since they are generally not disclosed to the IRS. But occasionally, the loans are disclosed in securities filings. In 2014, for example, Oracle revealed that its CEO, Ellison, had a credit line secured by about $10 billion of his shares.

Last year Tesla reported that Musk had pledged some 92 million shares, which were worth about $57.7 billion as of May 29, 2021, as collateral for personal loans.

Omne fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 9, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A Mystery in Three Acts

ACT 1: PROLOGUE

quote:

Huge electricity bill

I rent a 2 bed apartment in lane cove and electricity used to be $150-$200 a month. Last month it was $370 and I googled how to check high electricity bills and I found the hot water heater was dripping from a valve and the landlord sent a plumber to fix it the next day but yesterday I got the latest bill and it's $705! No water leaks, I checked everywhere. Only 2 of us, we almost never use the kitchen to cook, both shower for under 10 minutes and are out all day, we hardly see each other and mainly use the apartment to sleep.

We don't have a TV, I have a Macbook and iPad, the heater is the air conditioner and we barely use it, have a 300L fridge, washing machine and dryer we use twice a week each. I asked the roommate if he knows why the bill is so high and he doesn't. He has a Dell laptop and normal computer with 2 screens that he plays games for 2 or 3 hours some nights but doesn't use it much since both of us aren't at the apartment most of the time. The landlord won't send an electrician unless something is broken. What can I do next?

quote:

I checked a lot with the energy company and they say I'm using 5-10 times more electricity than I was 2 bills ago and the rates haven't gone up. Usage was 400-700 kWh in the past now it's nearly 2500 on the last bill. I've been here 6 months so something is really strange. I had a unpleasant talk with the landlord and said if he doesn't send an electrician to fix it then I'm breaking the lease so he caved and is booking one now

ACT 2: DENOUEMENT

quote:

Found it and the electrician is going to voicemail, there's a 20A break switch with CP1 on it. When off the meter stopped. I flicked all other switches on and it hardly moved. I plugged in the fridge and my macbook and the meter is hardly moving. Everything in the apartment has electricity. What could CP1 mean? It could be CPI too. Other switches are P1, P2, HOT WATER, AC, OVEN, STOVE, LIGHTS

quote:

Electrician called back CP1 means carport1. My housemate has the garage for his car because I haven't got a car and don't need the space. Checked the garage and in the back corner there's 4 silver boxes 2 big and 2 small making heaps of noise with power leads and hundreds of yellow and black wires between the big and small boxes. The small box is called BITMAN and the big one don't know. I left the garage breaker switch off until the housemate gets home and I'll ask him what they are

ACT 3: EPILOGUE

quote:

Not good.

My housemate came home and I told him what I was doing all day and how I found the bit miners and showed him all my last electricity bills. My housemate moved in after the last one left 2 months ago and I didn't connect the dots with him and huge electricity use, I thought it was the broken water heater. I put the room up for rent inclusive of bills for half my rent, electricity, water and internet. I took a lot of advice from here and last night I showed him all electricity bills and asked if he'd mind paying $600 from this bill and the cost of the next bill minus $100 moving on. He said no way because he's renting inclusive of bills not plus bills. He said I'm same as a all you can eat restaurant charging extra for guests who eat more. I said that's only fair if he uses about half the electricity, not most of it.

I said I'll pay this bill if he doesn't use the bit miners again and they stay off and he majorly freaked out when I told him I turned them off. He made me show him where I turned them off and he turned them on and told me I'm not allowed to interfere with his business again. I pleaded again he pay his share of electricity but he went to his room and closed the door. I went to my room and called my landlord in tears and apologised for making him book an electrician and told him what happened.

My landlord lives in one of the apartments near the end and came to see what's going on, I showed him the garage and he called his grandson who said all the same things you all did here. His grandson came and I told him what happened and he was horrified then they both went inside. The landlord stuck up for me and said he turned the bit miners off and he's taking them until my room mate pays for the electricity and a fight nearly broke out between my room mate, landlord and grandson.

My room mate called me a dobbing whore and much worse and the landlord said he's has to move out now and can only come back to collect his things and pay for electricity and then he can have the bit miners and my landlord offered to take his bed to his next place in his truck. Anyway my roommate left and I spent the night at a friends and today I'll buy my landlord a huge thank you flower bunch. A most forgettable night. Thank you all, every one of you for helping me yesterday.

FIN

quote:

My housemate came with his parents yesterday to collect his computer, clothes and things and his parents were so upset at what he did.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Read ACT I and immediately knew what the issue was. :lol: buttcoin

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm stuck in the before times and got my signals crossed with one of the house threads. I thought someone was stealing power to grow weed.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Omne posted:

Isn't this what the ultra-wealthy do for living expenses, since their investment income is taxed much, much lower than wage-based income? I feel like the ProPublica story on the billionaire class paying very low taxes talked about this. Of course, their LoC's are like $10M

Edit: https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax

...but the money to pay back the loans has to come from somewhere, right? That either has to be income that will be taxed as such, or from selling securities that will be taxed at capital gains rate. I have no doubt that loans would be useful for manipulating when some taxes are paid, but I don't see how they help you avoid paying those taxes. Ellison and Musk have the bulk of their assets as long term capital gains and live a lifestyle where they spend well above the highest tax bracket every year, so the biggest effect the loans have is deferring when they need to sell their securities to support their lifestyle. That's only beneficial if their company stock keeps increasing in value more than the interest on the loans. It's nice for them, but is still a risk.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I Like Jell-O posted:

...but the money to pay back the loans has to come from somewhere, right? That either has to be income that will be taxed as such, or from selling securities that will be taxed at capital gains rate. I have no doubt that loans would be useful for manipulating when some taxes are paid, but I don't see how they help you avoid paying those taxes. Ellison and Musk have the bulk of their assets as long term capital gains and live a lifestyle where they spend well above the highest tax bracket every year, so the biggest effect the loans have is deferring when they need to sell their securities to support their lifestyle. That's only beneficial if their company stock keeps increasing in value more than the interest on the loans. It's nice for them, but is still a risk.

You take another loan using a different asset as collateral and pay off the first loan. Rinse and repeat as the collateral for the first loan is now freed up.

My understanding is that this is a huge part of why Trump is in a lot of financial trouble right now because a lot of the assets he he collateralizing his loans look like they’re not worth what he claimed and the banks might call the loans in. Meanwhile no one wants to loan to him again so he can’t do step two up there.

edit: for example, if I have stocks worth 500 million I use a chunk of that as collateral for a $100 million loan. Use that for living expenses, and then take another $100 million loan to pay that off. In the meantime I've effectively paid interest only on the first $100 million, which given that I'm some famous billionaire with better credit than most governments is really goddamned low. Maybe I pay the interest with whatever other income I have. If I really want to be spicy I can take out the next loan for $110 million to cover that interest too.

Meanwhile the assets that I'm using as collateral are probably increasing in value. Oh, and if there's any kind of inflation at all my loans actually decrease in value while my assets aren't affected nearly as much

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 9, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
When you die in the US there's the concept of a step-up in basis which drastically lowers how much taxes are paid on those capital gains, while you lived off the LoC (which usually in these cases gets paid by the estate when you're dead).

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stepupinbasis.asp

quote:

Example of a Step-Up in Basis

A person inheriting mutual funds receives a step-up in basis for the funds' value. The price of the shares on the day the owner dies becomes the heir's cost basis. The heir provides the mutual fund company proof of identity along with a death certificate, probate court order, or other documentation. The company either transfers the shares to an account in the heir's name or sells the shares and sends the proceeds to the heir.

People either pass their assets on using heirs or a trust but the step-up shelters them from huge amounts of tax.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I Like Jell-O posted:

From what I could understand, it gives them a way to float income for a while and when you do sell securities to pay for them it's after claiming as much loss as you can on securities that didn't do well. Overall your wealth skyrockets, but you cherry pick some losing investments.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cacafuego posted:

The only question in my mind was whether it was an idiot roommate trying to offload the power bill, or a lovely landlord who hid a mining rig in a crawlspace or something.

The big where the roommate went full on with the all you can eat buffet and calling his mining rig a business was :kiss: though.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Heirs get stepped-up basis, not the estate. Living off of loans secured by your portfolio is explicitly a bet that the assets will grow faster than the interest rate you're paying on the loan. It lets you defer the cap gains taxes, but not avoid them - TBF iron-clad control of the recognition of income is a huge tool for managing tax bills for the wealthy that we working schlubs don't get.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I really need to stop using WF, I'm kind of paranoid about switching to a credit union or whatever, only because it seems like you have to do it very carefully as I have so many things being paid automatically to and from my checking account. It seems like the best way to do it is to very slowly move things from one to the other - for example I will be getting a state property tax refund at some point this year, and that will go to my WF account. However my two big monthly are my mortgage and credit card, so I have to time moving those to a new account to coincide with having my paychecks deposited to the new account as well.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

SlapActionJackson posted:

Heirs get stepped-up basis, not the estate. Living off of loans secured by your portfolio is explicitly a bet that the assets will grow faster than the interest rate you're paying on the loan. It lets you defer the cap gains taxes, but not avoid them - TBF iron-clad control of the recognition of income is a huge tool for managing tax bills for the wealthy that we working schlubs don't get.
AFAIK if the asset is being passed on via inheritance then the estate does not pay the capital gains on it all and the receiver has the stepped-up basis. I would think they can then liquidate the amount at the new cost basis to pay the LoC.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

actionjackson posted:

I really need to stop using WF, I'm kind of paranoid about switching to a credit union or whatever, only because it seems like you have to do it very carefully as I have so many things being paid automatically to and from my checking account. It seems like the best way to do it is to very slowly move things from one to the other - for example I will be getting a state property tax refund at some point this year, and that will go to my WF account. However my two big monthly are my mortgage and credit card, so I have to time moving those to a new account to coincide with having my paychecks deposited to the new account as well.

Open a new account and deposit to it while maintaining two months expenses in your old account.

I left an old account open for about a year with a few thousand just in case, and when nothing hit the statement for 3 months I closed it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

I would think they can then liquidate the amount at the new cost basis to pay the LoC.

No, because the estate owes the bank for the LoC, not the heirs. Heirs only get what's left over after the estate settles outstanding debts.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Open a new account and deposit to it while maintaining two months expenses in your old account.

I left an old account open for about a year with a few thousand just in case, and when nothing hit the statement for 3 months I closed it.

hmm that's a good idea thanks.

I would probably leave it open even longer, for example the property tax refund was submitted at the start of the year, but I usually don't get it until September!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

SlapActionJackson posted:

No, because the estate owes the bank for the LoC, not the heirs. Heirs only get what's left over after the estate settles outstanding debts.

Ah okay that makes sense.

Edit: wait.. there's an actionjackson *and* SlapActionJackson??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

Sign that I'm way too old to be in the internet: I expected either grow-op or them finding a neighbor's extension cord half-buried in the yard and running to an outlet. Of course it's crypto in TYOOL 2021. :suicide: