Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The virgin Oster vs the chad Vitamix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It’s like those nature buffs who like show off by starting friction fires, but w liquids

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Someone give a YouTuber the idea to modify a vitamix to be powered by a 2 stroke chainsaw or weed wacker engine.

e: What potato peeler should I get that doesn’t suck?

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 8, 2021

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

dangling pointer posted:

Someone give a YouTuber the idea to modify a vitamix to be powered by a 2 stroke chainsaw or weed wacker engine.

Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler 3-Pack Red/Green/Yellow https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001BCFTWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8190S5DVFABWBZY5C40N

Just keep in mind they have carbon steel blades. So if you don’t dry them off after cleaning, they will rust.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm super confused about why people are using their blenders to cook soup

Faster than blending and cooking them on the stove as separate steps and less heat bleeding off into your home?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

Top Gear went one better a decade ago with a V6 powered blender.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dangling pointer posted:

OXO swivel peeler, replace when you aren’t happy with how it peels with another one.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Strong rec for Rosle for a Y-peeler. $25, but it's a Buy It For Life affair with replaceable blades. Absolutely love mine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

Top Gear went one better a decade ago with a V6 powered blender.

It was a V8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI

GD_American posted:

OK, admit it. Who else here thought "jesus christ how fast do those things spin"

This is literally how it works - it spins so fast it generates enough heat to cook the soup through friction.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

My bad, of course it was a V8.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

I think most chainsaws are around 3-4 hp which is not too much more than the 2.2 peak hp the vitamix has - and the electric motor is going to have almost infinitely more torque so it would actually be shittier I think. Pro blenders are no joke.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's everybody's stance on microwave size, middle 1.3 vs 1.6 cf? I can fit both, just a large price difference. And power is the same. Is there something that you weren't able to reheat in a 1.3cf or is 1.6 too much countertop space wasted?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My microwave is used for boiling water and melting butter exclusively, so the smallest one on the market would probably suffice for me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Acinonyx posted:

I've had two vitamix's over the course of 15 years and in my experience if you damage one, you must have been doing something super dumb. We gave the first one to friends after a decade because I wanted the 750 which fits in under our cabinets and it has the mayo making attachment

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PageMaster posted:

What's everybody's stance on microwave size, middle 1.3 vs 1.6 cf? I can fit both, just a large price difference. And power is the same. Is there something that you weren't able to reheat in a 1.3cf or is 1.6 too much countertop space wasted?
I've never had a height issue with microwaves, so I'd judge it by your own needs. Do you have any plates that wouldnt fit in the 1.3? I personally have a .9 and havent needed bigger.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I had a huge over-stove microwave that I ripped out and replaced with a much smaller one on my kitchen racks, and I've never had an issue. What do you ever microwave that's bigger than the plate you put it on?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a small microwave and the only thing that doesn't fit is popcorn. It fits dinner plates and works fine for my main uses, steaming vegetables and reheating leftovers, but the popcorn thing is more of a hassle than you'd think.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PageMaster posted:

countertop space

See if there are any unused spaces you can hang it / jam in on a small shelf and never look back

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My microwave is used for boiling water and melting butter exclusively, so the smallest one on the market would probably suffice for me.

Imo buy a kettle and gain happiness. So nice to speed up pasta cooking by ~5 minutes and make tea without worrying about splashing / superheating in the microwave

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm super confused about why people are using their blenders to cook soup

Listen, when you spend $500 on on a blender you want to blend the poo poo out of everything you can.

Might want to buy some nice ear pro while you're at it, though. loving things loud.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I have a small microwave and the only thing that doesn't fit is popcorn. It fits dinner plates and works fine for my main uses, steaming vegetables and reheating leftovers, but the popcorn thing is more of a hassle than you'd think.

I think you need... Pepcorn!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you have an instant pot? I've heard amazing things about the popped corn one can produce.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sometimes you just have a craving for those old-fashioned butter chemicals. I know you can buy the pumps, but those are straight coconut oil. I just want the freakily calorieless diacetyl in the bags as God intended

e: I should clarify I don't do popcorn as like an event in my private authentic home viewing room. Microwave popcorn pairs perfectly with baby carrots as a struggle dinner, which was not infrequent during the pandemic

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 10, 2021

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I've got a cheap toaster oven that I use to cook foods constantly, much more often than my full oven. I'm looking to upgrade since I use it so much despite it missing basic features like a way to see how many minutes it has left on cooking. I'm interested in additionally getting one that can do air frying, as it's handy to have but my current air fryer is this weird giant-mug-shaped thing that's a pain to clean.
I saw this recommended in a thread recently, and it looks like the same model my stepdad (who spends ages investigating appliances before he buys them) purchased for his own use. Is this a good model?
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Convection-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01N5UPTZS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My parents have the non air fryer version of that and it's awesome.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I was coming here to ask about toaster ovens too, but I only want to spend like $100. Are there any budget-conscious recommendations?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

I was coming here to ask about toaster ovens too, but I only want to spend like $100. Are there any budget-conscious recommendations?

Buy Elegant Fugue’s toaster oven.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

ElegantFugue posted:

I've got a cheap toaster oven that I use to cook foods constantly, much more often than my full oven. I'm looking to upgrade since I use it so much despite it missing basic features like a way to see how many minutes it has left on cooking. I'm interested in additionally getting one that can do air frying, as it's handy to have but my current air fryer is this weird giant-mug-shaped thing that's a pain to clean.
I saw this recommended in a thread recently, and it looks like the same model my stepdad (who spends ages investigating appliances before he buys them) purchased for his own use. Is this a good model?
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Convection-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01N5UPTZS

I have this exact one, and I have no complaints. I've never had a air fryer, so I can't directly compare, but it works well enough for me. It's pretty large, so just make sure you have the counter space for it. It does fit a whole chicken easily though, which is pretty awesome.

I bought it last November, so I can't speak to the long term durability, but it's holding up fine, and is pretty easy to clean.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Happiness Commando posted:

We have a cheap black n decker toaster oven that we use at least daily, if not 2-3 times a day. Our old one was a $50 black n decker that lasted us about 9 years before it died. We upgraded to the push button version which is like $75 and have had it for a few years and it works great. Cooks frozen pizzas, morning toast, has a broil feature that sucks so don't get it if that is what you want. Also the bake times are limited to 30 minutes so that sucks too. This one might meet an earlier grave if that ever bothers me enough.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My parents have the non air fryer version of that and it's awesome.

I’ve had the non air fryer one for years and it’s been great. Gets almost daily use.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, their oven only really gets used for large entrees now. Side dishes like beets, etc go in the Breville.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

It'll be replacing two appliances, so there should be enough room. I'll place an order for one, thanks!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ElegantFugue posted:

After using mine for a couple of weeks, the only real flaw is that the ideal use of the air fryer feature means not being able to use the drip tray (won't fit under the basket). Which means oil just shits all over the heating elements and is quite annoying to clean up.

I solved that issue by using parchment paper, but wanted to let you know since you want something easier to clean.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

It’s really nice in the summer not having to turn on the big oven and dump a bunch of heat in the house.

Also reheating stuff that the microwave would normally turn to mush. Me and my dad will go out for walleye/perch fairly often and it’s nice frying up extra to be able to reheat for lunch the next day. WFH let’s me not be that guy who warms up fish in the break room.

My toaster is packed away in the basement because it does a good job making toast in the mornings too. I’d go with a Breville model, I’ve been really happy with it. It’s been rock solid the 2 or 3 years I’ve had one.

e: I can’t remember if I got 1/4th size baking sheets or something smaller but a couple of those are nice to have. Check the dimensions on whatever model you end up with a order a couple that will fit.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElegantFugue posted:

Consider the Ninja. Not great for height, but lots of sheet pan space. Ok at air frying, great as toaster oven.
https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Multi-Purpose-Counter-top-Convection-SP101/dp/B07SCGY2H6

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Nthing the Breville. I cook spatchcocked chickens, reheat leftover Chinese food, and return pizza to a near-fresh state with a convection version of their toaster ovens. Would recommend it to anyone if it fit their budget.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
How is it that a toaster oven is worth the counter space when you already have a functioning full size oven in the kitchen? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't get it. If I need to cook something in the oven I just use the oven and it has never left me wishing that I had a different, smaller oven instead. Does it heat up the place less, or what's the actual benefit?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I imagine it's great if you rent or can't afford a $$$$ oven, probably heats up faster too

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

probably heats up faster too
It's this, plus the whole process is just less cumbersome.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

How is it that a toaster oven is worth the counter space when you already have a functioning full size oven in the kitchen? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't get it. If I need to cook something in the oven I just use the oven and it has never left me wishing that I had a different, smaller oven instead. Does it heat up the place less, or what's the actual benefit?

It pre-heats faster
Doesn't heat up the place as much
Mine has a convection setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Vim Fuego posted:

Easy. Faster pre-heat, better broiling, can air fry better than normal convection oven, less energy used, lower impact on kitchen temp.

(Edit: mine pre-heats to 450 in exactly one minute)