Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ace Transmuter posted:

So did she like... ascend to a higher plane of existence? Or did she get Katamari'd?

I survived by hiding in a edge like a coward. Something in Du'Cate's attack pattern made my sucky Golem suddenly wake up and spam one of the 1-2 weird nonsense attacks I gave it, like fireworks and a "laser" shooting a big metal ball. Bud and Jäger then kept Du'Cate on the other side, away from my character.

Eventually I went back in and ended this battle by sticking my spear repeatedly into ape butt. "Searching for Du'Cate" my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Personally I just spammed weak attack with a sword just slowly enough that it wouldn't combo (and therefore suffer the end-of-combo delay), and it stunlocked Du'Cate for the entire fight.

Contrast some other bosses where I'd be like "would you please spend half a loving second not using a special move, so I have at least a shred of an opportunity to do any damage?"

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

So did she like... ascend to a higher plane of existence? Or did she get Katamari'd?

She went to her school to find herself, hasn't figured out what kind of person she wants to be yet, but knows she doesn't want to be the same person she was before. I don't think she's become a spirit or anything, she just doesn't want to be seen right now, so she communicates telepathically.

It can be seen as a story about someone growing up and getting autonomy, but I kind of like to read it as a trans parable, too? "Can I still call you Rachel until you decide who you are?" "You may not." It's one of my favorite quests!

I think it's akin a little bit to Faeries' Light and Heavens' Gate, thematically? Self-discovery and self-determination.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ace Transmuter posted:

She swapped bodies with one of the Geo students.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean I get the body swapping aspect, and thinking of it as a Trans parable is heckin rad. But they also talk about her turning into a star? That's the part that had me getting flashbacks to the interstitial scenes from the original Katamari Damacy

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean I get the body swapping aspect, and thinking of it as a Trans parable is heckin rad. But they also talk about her turning into a star? That's the part that had me getting flashbacks to the interstitial scenes from the original Katamari Damacy

Mark (her father) dreamed when he was young of going into outer space on a rocket ship, and told a (younger) Rachel about that dream. This made her laugh so he clammed up about it, and then went crazy-dad trying to girlify up her room etc. so she'd be happy and laughing. (Jennifer, her mother, rightly gives him poo poo for this inconsistent idiocy when she figures it out at the end of the quest.)

Anyway, the point here is that Rachel did still remember her father's dream, and had been tucking away relevant bits and bobs inside Teapo (who thought that these were a bomb). So despite their surface-level disconnection, she did still remember that and wanted to do something that would make him happy.

So there's also a pretty good metaphor for teenage coming-of-age, both in the independence aspect as well as seeing parents as individuals (complete with dreams of their own) rather than just provider-figures.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Is there a way to auto-sort equipment? Everything just listed in the order I get it, but it would be nice to see all my staves next to each other sorted by power, without sorting manually.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can only do it manually. It’d also be nice if you knew when your inventory was full.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I just did the "barrel in my soul" quest and it reminded me to never take anything that happens here literally.

On another note, my son finally finished his scrapbook! It was... anticlimactic

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’d also be nice if you knew when your inventory was full.

I just had to reload an autosave because I was exactly full when Elazul tried giving me the Sword of Fate.

Time to make golem logic blocks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something funny I've noticed when playing yesterday: I'm playing with a guide, because I want to go 100% completion. Eventually, I came through one of those events where you're asked a question and a wrong answer can cause you to fail the event.

Since playing is more fun then just reading a guide, I went through the event trying to play it normally, and only looked at the guide when I was stumped about how to continue. Then I panicked.

Turns out when I blindly went with the most fitting answer from a RP-perspective at the Important Question, I went off the rails, as the guide had expected me to take another of the three options!

So I flailed around for a while, but finally decided the devs wouldn't be so cruel to make the reasonable answer the one instantly failing me out, and continued.

Eventually, I managed to continue and finish the event.

I was both relieved and kind of amused that this 100% guide was wrong in this one specific case. After looking into things apparently the answer I didn't take was a shortcut for people who aren't really into playing and want to rush through Legend of Mana the fast way. It's not that the answer was wrong, it would have just avoided most of the "playing" part of the event.

In another case, I accidentally teleported myself right to the boss battle of another event because another very Important Question had the reasonable sounding answer the one short-cutting through the event.

From a balance stand-point, it's kind of neat that sometimes, being reasonable will speed things up, and sometimes, not. Makes it feel like your choices matter more, since without a guide you can't just do this pretend thing where you always go "NO!" or whatever, just to get the best possible outcome you want. If that makes sense.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

Something funny I've noticed when playing yesterday: I'm playing with a guide, because I want to go 100% completion. Eventually, I came through one of those events where you're asked a question and a wrong answer can cause you to fail the event.

For what it's worth, I believe the only unique missables are the Lil Cactus Diary entries for the feature unlock quests (orchard, pets, smithing, etc.) that stay unlocked on New Game+.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1413981561582624770?s=21

Is this normal?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Yeah. Special techniques are unlocked based on using a weapon for enough fights, and using certain combos of regular techniques for enough fights, but you don't actually need to use them together. If you use a weapon a bunch to get it's usage high enough, then switch weapons and use the regular techniques to get their usage high enough, then as soon as you switch back and finish a fight with the first weapon you'll unlock all the new STs you qualify for at once.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
It's super nice because it means if you decide you want to try out a different weapon you're not stuck without fancy moves for too long.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Each weapon type and each ability has a 0-100 usage counter, and for winning a battle (seeing exp/money screen), you get +1 to the counters for your weapon and your two current abilities, so long as they're not already capped out at 100. Certain boss battles give +4 instead of +1. And no, these usage counters are not directly displayed anywhere in the UI.

Learning abilities requires getting the usage counters for specific other abilities to specific values (e.g. High Jump requires 11 Jump and 8 Crouch). Learning special techniques requires similar specific usage counters for both the weapon type, as well as one or more abilities...

... and, to the point of the question: you can only learn STs for a weapon type when you win a battle with that weapon type.

So if you knock out the weapon's usage requirement first, but only hit the abilities' requirement(s) by the time you've moved on to other weapons, you don't learn the first weapon's STs right away. You have to swap back to that weapon type and win another battle, at which point it checks to see what STs for it you now qualify for.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do I get lots of Lucre? I can buy Ishe Platinum in Polpota Harbor now which rules but I want a shitload of money so I can make tons of platinum gear.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How do I get lots of Lucre? I can buy Ishe Platinum in Polpota Harbor now which rules but I want a shitload of money so I can make tons of platinum gear.

Smithing makes you rich.

Step 1: Get a Wind Cap drop from a Spiny Cone
Step 2: Get four Clear Feathers from insect enemies
Step 3: Temper four Clear Feathers onto the Wind Cap
Step 4: Sell the tempered Wind Cap
Step 5: PROFIT!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
If you have a pet polterbox, farming the two polterbox battle in the pirate ship for sun/moon crystals is pretty profitable too. I’m not sure which method has the better lucre/time ratio but the polterboxes have a chance to drop glow and chaos crystals, which are some of the more expensive components for tempering.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

First playthrough completed. Only quests I haven't been able to tell my buddy Lil Cactus were Peewee Birdie and The Wimpy Thugling. Did manage to get Seeing Double though.

Going to dive back in lightly following a walkthrough to wrap those up and also start cheevo hunting.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In addition to the Windcap-trick, you can also heavily abuse the fact every weapon or piece of equipment you heavily modified via crafting will most likely end up expensive as poo poo, and get you a nice price when you eventually upgrade.

Also, make hats. They're fashionable, and while they're only like 3k instead of 20k+ like the modded windcaps, they're just a bunch of seeds, cheap materials and some fruit.

This is the receipt I use on my surplus of animal hides and seeds, when I'm too lazy to go hunting for clear feathers:

A Fine Hat posted:

Animal Hide
Big Seed
Big Seed
Small Seed
Small Seed
Needlettuce
Needlettuce
Needlettuce

Just substitute Animal Hide for whatever cheap material you're swimming in, otherwise it's Luon Highway or Kilma Lake O'clock for the clear feathers you need.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Amazing conversation

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

oh jay posted:

First playthrough completed. Only quests I haven't been able to tell my buddy Lil Cactus were Peewee Birdie and The Wimpy Thugling. Did manage to get Seeing Double though.

Going to dive back in lightly following a walkthrough to wrap those up and also start cheevo hunting.

Easiest way is to set it up so Domina and the desert share an empty space, then plop the Sword of Mana near both of them.

Though at this point might as well follow one of the land placement guides floating around, they also allow a bunch of other QoL benefits if you decide to get into crafting or whatever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vil posted:

Each weapon type and each ability has a 0-100 usage counter, and for winning a battle (seeing exp/money screen), you get +1 to the counters for your weapon and your two current abilities, so long as they're not already capped out at 100. Certain boss battles give +4 instead of +1. And no, these usage counters are not directly displayed anywhere in the UI.

Learning abilities requires getting the usage counters for specific other abilities to specific values (e.g. High Jump requires 11 Jump and 8 Crouch). Learning special techniques requires similar specific usage counters for both the weapon type, as well as one or more abilities...

... and, to the point of the question: you can only learn STs for a weapon type when you win a battle with that weapon type.

So if you knock out the weapon's usage requirement first, but only hit the abilities' requirement(s) by the time you've moved on to other weapons, you don't learn the first weapon's STs right away. You have to swap back to that weapon type and win another battle, at which point it checks to see what STs for it you now qualify for.

And there's no way to actually see those counters in-game lol.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Unfortunately not, no. If you really want to high-effort it, you can certainly derive some minimum numbers based on what STs you've already got unlocked. That said, some general rules of thumb:

- With a handful of exceptions, no ST requires more than 30-ish usage points in a given ability, and most of the STs cap out at requiring more like 15-20 points per ability.

- Most of the late high-end STs do, however, require a poo poo-ton of usage points for the weapon, with almost every weapon having an ST that requires the full 100.

So between that, you know you've got to use the weapon a lot to get all its STs, but you can be pretty liberal with rotating your abilities to suit your whims.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Easiest way is to set it up so Domina and the desert share an empty space, then plop the Sword of Mana near both of them.

Though at this point might as well follow one of the land placement guides floating around, they also allow a bunch of other QoL benefits if you decide to get into crafting or whatever.

Yeah, using a guide. Maybe I can grab some Altena Alloy for once after 20 years of playing this game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got the dragon armor from the Land Dragons, combined with that really good helmet from the Mad Mallards I am invincible!

Actually I still have the forbidden ring equipped so my Polter Box gets exp. So not invincible.

I was also going around The Flames using a weak flail trying to learn new moves and every battle was taking forever because every enemy is ~lv99 and man why would I do that to myself. Why. I equipped that insanely good sword from that optional boss somebody mentioned a couple pages back and now battles are taking less time but are still long. That’s why they call it Nightmare difficulty.

Edit: the funniest thing about Nightmare is that your partner characters don’t get their levels scaled so Sierra is like lv40 and all the lv99 monsters are destroying her :laugh:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

oh jay posted:

Yeah, using a guide. Maybe I can grab some Altena Alloy for once after 20 years of playing this game.

I got three from playing one round of Ring Ring Land.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

I got three from playing one round of Ring Ring Land.

The only thing I got from Ring Ring Land was confused.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ring Ring Land seems like something that can be lucrative (heh) if you can remember the maps and learn to nail the timing on the spinner, otherwise it's not really worth faffing about blindly, at least from my limited experience.

Do pet levels or even their stats matter at all for RRL? I've only tried it with low-level pets. I understand the type of pet kinda matters since each one has specific strengths and weaknesses, but I haven't seen anything about levels mattering.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ok, yeah. So, now I've been black mailed into committing murder. Definitely not what you'd expect from such a cutesy looking game.

Also, is it better or worse if you can go visit your victims in the afterlife?

Edit:

I'd like to exchange Larc for Sierra, please. My Larc is faulty, it's committing murder and bird genocide all over

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Libluini posted:

Ok, yeah. So, now I've been black mailed into committing murder. Definitely not what you'd expect from such a cutesy looking game.

Also, is it better or worse if you can go visit your victims in the afterlife?

Edit:

I'd like to exchange Larc for Sierra, please. My Larc is faulty, it's committing murder and bird genocide all over

Keep playing.

What’s the very last quest (#67) on L’il cactus’s diary list? That’s the only one I’m missing right now.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Keep playing.

What’s the very last quest (#67) on L’il cactus’s diary list? That’s the only one I’m missing right now.

Pee-Wee Birdie. That one, Wimpy Thugling and Seeing Double are the ones that are tied to mana levels and very commonly missed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

oh jay posted:

Pee-Wee Birdie. That one, Wimpy Thugling and Seeing Double are the ones that are tied to mana levels and very commonly missed.

I did that quest but must not have talked to my cactus after :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did that quest but must not have talked to my cactus after :negative:

You monster :catbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s because once you complete it you have to go back to Domina to get a revive ring and obviously I didn’t go back to my cactus.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s because once you complete it you have to go back to Domina to get a revive ring and obviously I didn’t go back to my cactus.

To be honest, you could probably make a better ring yourself, but your cactus is forever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pretty early in the game and I am stuck on what to do, Elazul forced themselves into my party and I don't know how to get rid of them. Where I am suppose to go to do this persons quest? I am trying to do The Wisdom of Gaeus quest, you need Daena to do it, but she won't join you with another NPC in your party. I was trying to follow a guide to make sure I see all events in one playthrough, now i'm worried i'll have to start all over again if Elazul forcing themselves into my party effects that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

I said come in! posted:

Pretty early in the game and I am stuck on what to do, Elazul forced themselves into my party and I don't know how to get rid of them. Where I am suppose to go to do this persons quest? I am trying to do The Wisdom of Gaeus quest, you need Daena to do it, but she won't join you with another NPC in your party. I was trying to follow a guide to make sure I see all events in one playthrough, now i'm worried i'll have to start all over again if Elazul forcing themselves into my party effects that.

Go to the inn and talk to Rachel to get the Jade Egg.

Or just go into your house; your party members will always leave you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Go to the inn and talk to Rachel to get the Jade Egg.

Or just go into your house; your party members will always leave you then.

I have the Jade Egg, what do I do from there? Just place that on the map, and go do that area? Elazul will leave when I go to my house, but then when I go back into town, a dialog with Elazul is forced on me again and he joins me, even if I refuse him.