Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
And for another $100K we can get a bonus wrong warp run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
2.5 hours to get ~500k to change KH2 to Lv1 Critical and a new 100k incentive for an extra quick run of SMB3.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i absolutely love the handmade prize selection at the end here

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cernunnos posted:

I fully expect the first in person event after all this to be record shattering.

yeah it's gonna be fuckin bonkers

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I could also see attendance going up.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
On this very special episode of "Prize Segment" Sent goes to jail.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oh God that stained glass Sonic popsicle :lol:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Demon Souls remake time, yesss.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm enjoying this Nintendo Direct style narration

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I haven't seen anything about the Demon Souls remake because :lol: getting a PS5 but man is this game gorgeous

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its fun to watch this get crushed after watching slowbeef die a thosuand times in this game while diabetus heckles him

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm enjoying this Nintendo Direct style narration

lmao yes, that's exactly the style. but she's so earnest about it and it rules

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow this no collision glitch is nutty.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Speedruns always make Souls games look super easy, like if I tried one I too could just zigzag past enemies and take out giant bosses easy peasy.

But I know this is a lie.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah it's gonna be fuckin bonkers

I wonder if they'll do hybrid in person and virtual runs going forward.

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I think it might be good if they did virtual runs of arcade games and other games requiring special equipment. The Tetris runs years ago were setup nightmares which I think is why they stopped doing them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

someone in tech talked earlier in the thread about how close to impossible it is to do that with their setup and just how much of a nightmare it would be

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

splat strat

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

effervescible posted:

Speedruns always make Souls games look super easy, like if I tried one I too could just zigzag past enemies and take out giant bosses easy peasy.

But I know this is a lie.

In literally every single souls game, running past enemies is significantly easier than fighting them as soon as you know where you are going. The enemies are extremely bad at catching and punishing you.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Tiaer posted:

I think it might be good if they did virtual runs of arcade games and other games requiring special equipment. The Tetris runs years ago were setup nightmares which I think is why they stopped doing them.

This is true, but those tetris runs were so good

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tiaer posted:

kevinddr getting harassed off twitch by that scumfuck karl jobst prolly did not help

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The thread for the first Tetris block was amazing, because most people, unfamiliar with TGM, were going "how is Tetris an awesome speedgame? Why does it need twenty minutes of set up?:raise:" and the three posters who knew what was up were promising the coolest poo poo we'd ever see. And then it was just a solid hour of :suspense:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The 7th Guest posted:

someone in tech talked earlier in the thread about how close to impossible it is to do that with their setup and just how much of a nightmare it would be

can i get link, i wonder what makes it so hard, i obviously have no idea what the behind the scenes looks like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

can i get link, i wonder what makes it so hard, i obviously have no idea what the behind the scenes looks like.
ah it was sexrex who talked about it, not someone in tech

SeXReX posted:

Thats not really how this works, the crew would be the same ones coordinating the remote runs.

Like, right now the way this is working is there's a location where the tech crew is all in person working to take the individual runner and commentator streams and produce them into what you see.

SeXReX posted:

The short version is everyone streams their bit of it and tech basically watches the streams and does a screen capture of it. All the various audio feeds get pumped into a physical analog mixer so they can balance and apply compression or noise removal as needed.

Everyone streams with a clock in the corner so they can sync, even commentary/hosts who are broadcasting literally just the clock. Runners use various means to split the audio so that the left and right channels have only microphone and Game sounds. Everyone is sitting in a discord call so they can hear each other but isn't actually broadcasting the sound of everyone talking. The runner will also generally use discord screen sharing so the commentary can watch

SeXReX posted:

Back when in person turnout for the event series I help run was way lower (and I was the only one willing to be awake overnight) we did partial remote runs. The only way it can really work is to switch to it for a large block of time going back and forth would just be absolutely awful.

It would absolutely obliterate the in person crowd energy level which is already low enough during overnight

so it's not a matter of being impossible so much as, it wouldn't ease the burden, it'd kill the in-person energy, and the process is complicated

also, as we saw with one run earlier this week that had a lot of swearing, you don't have as much control over a remote streamer as you do in person because you can't physically walk up to them and smack them with a rolled up newspaper lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 11, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Sent speedrunning the "explain the Kingdom Hearts lore," good attempt.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Not a huge fan of crossstitch but that bonfire looks tasty

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 11, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so is sent no longer doing prizes after this GDQ? or are they gonna split between the two marathons

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The 7th Guest posted:

so is sent no longer doing prizes after this GDQ? or are they gonna split between the two marathons

I feel like I missed an announcement here, what happened?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kestral posted:

I feel like I missed an announcement here, what happened?
idk but the way mr game and shout is talking you'd think he is being trained to take over

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The 7th Guest posted:

idk but the way mr game and shout is talking you'd think he is being trained to take over

That wouldn't be a bad thing; Sent's looked real rough during some of these marathons since he's doing prize segments at all hours, so splitting up the load could only help.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I wasn't paying attention and look to see that we are at 63% on the extra SMB2 run :stare:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nemo2342 posted:

That wouldn't be a bad thing; Sent's looked real rough during some of these marathons since he's doing prize segments at all hours, so splitting up the load could only help.

Yeah I feel like Sent getting increasingly frazzled is a bit of an institution, but it’s probably a strain that’s less and less fun for him now than 5 or ten years ago you know?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ can you get any more hype than Black Knight Music, Skybillz, MFP and SMB3????

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah having a duo for whacky prize skits will definitely help.

Also; GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

algebra testes posted:

GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
What d'you think, goons? Will they make the 2.5 million in time for the last incentive? I'm skeptical, but... they have pulled off miracles before.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mal-3 posted:

What d'you think, goons? Will they make the 2.5 million in time for the last incentive? I'm skeptical, but... they have pulled off miracles before.
they've raised 60k since the demon souls run ended so i think it's possible

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They could do it but it's a pretty tall ask since they've only got 1.5 hours or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Feels like if any run is gonna get us there, it's this one