Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I forget the scene but the conversation Ade and Chris have where he's like "the US is going to rule the whole world" hit me really good.

someone get borko to make a "chris moltisanti, the philosopher" compilation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Like a pebble in a lake, even the fish feel it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

I forget the scene but the conversation Ade and Chris have where he's like "the US is going to rule the whole world" hit me really good.

But the US army hardly even goes to war anymore

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's just gonna march around a bit!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In regards to Tony's intelligence - I always thought he was smarter than most of the other mobsters, with some exceptions (Carmine Sr, Johnny Sack, Tony B, Ralph?). He had intellectual curiosity in things outside his daily life from military history to animals, went to college, was generally more successful then his peers even as a capo ("You've seen my house."), could carry out a conversation with people from all walks of life. However, he is a big fish in a small pond because most of the other mobsters are genuinely loving stupid and he wouldn't be remarkable at all outside that life.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Tony is definitely smart, it's just his ah, extreme personality flaws that tend to obscure that

like the whole thing with Little Carmine being so self-aware that he correctly identifies what makes him happy and successfully exits the mob game to swim naked in the pool and hang out with his wife who loves him

reminds me of a throwaway line in Peter Watts' Blindsight -- chimpanzees are smarter than orangutans but they fail the mirror test of self-awareness while orangutans pass it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bedshaped posted:

someone get borko to make a "chris moltisanti, the philosopher" compilation

I think I saw one on youtube at one point but I can't find it. I especially love his stoned eulogy at Livia's funeral.

Also, "you understand the human condition" to Tony.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pattonesque posted:

like the whole thing with Little Carmine being so self-aware that he correctly identifies what makes him happy and successfully exits the mob game to swim naked in the pool and hang out with his wife who loves him

Tony completely failing (or willfully refusing) to understand the point of Little Carmine's story about realizing what he truly wanted from life to be happy is incredibly well written and performed and also deeply depressing. Even just that element of wanting to save his wife from the associated stress seems completely alien to Tony at that point.

That they introduced Little Carmine as the idiot comic relief and then ended up making him one of the most self-aware/psychologically well-adjusted (relatively speaking) characters really is a credit to the show.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I like that Tony orders a philly cheesesteak and Carmine gets ahi tuna

lots of symbolism in that

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
That scene's very allegorical.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Very good, Whale Vomit, I'm glad you noticed that: the sacred and the propane :hmmyes:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ll have an Arnold Palmer. I always enjoy those and it never occurs to me to order one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Very good, Whale Vomit, I'm glad you noticed that: the sacred and the propane :hmmyes:

WV realized they were at the precipice of a huge crossroads.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can't even transcribe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsfY83ku6w&t=50s

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
"I am reminded of Louis the whatever's finance minister, De something...he built this chateau — Nicole and I saw it when we went to Paris — it even outshone Versailles, where the king lived. In the end, Louis clapped him in irons."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Much like a child, a film has many parents,

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Big Carm, Lil Carm and JustCarm.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Little Carmine montage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpwtZLluu2c

Also, how the hell did I never catch this blatant Godfather reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3_IrLQeG_0&t=63s

EDIT:

Or this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHUZ85SrGw

Where I was wondering why Chris is watching the Little Rascals and right after he shoots up there's a monkey on his back on the TV.

Sorry...went down a YT rabbit hole a bit

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 10, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’ll have an Arnold Palmer. I always enjoy those and it never occurs to me to order one.

Man, I sympathized with him right there because I'm the same way. Those rule but I don't actively think to get one unless I'm grabbing like a gas station arizona one or something.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Thinkin’ bout the Museum of Science and Trucking. Wonder how it turned out.

I always laughed every time it got mentioned but maybe it wasn’t even a joke and is exactly the type of thing that would get built in Jersey.

drowningidiot fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 11, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Tony is definitely smart, it's just his ah, extreme personality flaws that tend to obscure that

If he's so smart, why can he barely write a coherent sentence?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

drowningidiot posted:

Thinkin’ bout the Museum of Science and Trucking. Wonder how it turned out.

I always laughed every time it got mentioned but maybe it wasn’t even a joke and is exactly the type of thing that would get built in Jersey.

They skimped on materials.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Flesnolk posted:

I'm sure in pre-literate times there were plenty of geniuses who couldn't write

Tony has never really applied himself to anything but the life, that's the whole deal with the football dream, he at one point showed some interest towards something, but in the end became what he did.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

Small hands that was his problem.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tony B had an IQ of 158. He could only be vanquished by someone of comparable IQ.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All the nuns were raving about it.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Tony B had an IQ of 158.
*Christopher voice*

His brains looked like poo poo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey Ton, all due respect but

PerilPastry posted:

*Christopher voice*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

PerilPastry posted:

*Christopher voice*

holy poo poo lol

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

PerilPastry posted:

*Christopher voice*

Hear what I said, Ton'?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm like 5 episodes behind on the podcast and its getting harder and harder to get interested in the guest appearances. And then they go and have Ricky Gervais on

I started replaying Max Payne last night and the accents on the enemies along with the character of Max himself really makes me wonder how much inspiration was drawn from the Sopranos and the Wire as well as just the Matrix.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

I'm like 5 episodes behind on the podcast and its getting harder and harder to get interested in the guest appearances. And then they go and have Ricky Gervais on

Atheist and former comedian Ricky Gervais!? Yeah, no thanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Worst thing Janice ever did, by far, is cementing herself into Bobby's life by pressuring him to eat his wife's last ziti. It's the perfect encapsulation of her selfishness and manipulative nature.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Never realized that Paulie had aged so badly.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

side_burned posted:

Never realized that Paulie had aged so badly.

You mean Tony Sirico today? He's almost 80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxddINwarJk

he wasnt acting lol

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Vasukhani posted:

You mean Tony Sirico today? He's almost 80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxddINwarJk

he wasnt acting lol

No he's being played by Billy Magnussen in The Many Saints of Newark.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's brought up several times, at least once by Paulie himself, that he was the cool, strong handsome dude with big muscles when he was younger. Paulie's growing awareness that he's an old man whose body is starting to break down, that he never did and seemingly never will rise about the level of "half a wiseguy", and he has nobody to share his life with is a great part of the series: especially in those last couple episodes where you see so many of his peers are gone (it's just him and the haunted cat outside Satriale's at the end) and the younger guys are just openly mocking him now when even a guy he clashed with like Christopher only a few years earlier would still bite his tongue in frustration about Paulie's eccentricities.

I mean he did better overall, but he reminds me a lot of Lefty in Donnie Brasco: a guy who has aspirations to be more but never really rose above mid-tier and maybe at most got to be part of the wider crew of other guys on their way up, and now he's old and has realized it isn't going to happen. At least Lefty has (had) a kid and a wife, Paulie didn't even have that.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just finished season 3 on my first rewatch of the show. It's not the most exciting season, but the ending is so bittersweet and a harbinger of doom to come. The whole Jackie Jr. drama is really quite tragic in a banal way - a dumbass kid who's left out to dry, totally abandoned by Tony, who couldn't give less of a poo poo. The funeral sparsely attended because the mobsters would rather watch the Super Bowl and keep an eye on their money. It's a running theme but another nail in the coffin of whatever romanticized idea there was of 'honor' or 'loyalty' among them. And then you get Junior showcasing his unbelievable talents, an unknown beauty he was capable of that was belied by his exterior - but everyone else is hearing something else - the kids don't respect it, strange different audio is overdubbed before we cut to credits.

Just a miraculous show. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They haven't revealed which character Michela De Rossi is playing but the casting would be too good for it not to be: