Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hybrid Heaven was the best game on N64 and the best RPG of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

maxe posted:

video games are good

well OP you got ancient dudes to say something, I consider that a success

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ocean Book posted:

Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 1
Sonic 2

Sonic 3 and Knuckles are great. They’re exploration platformers with tight controls and a powerfully mobile player character. If you run too fast and die that’s on you, you can play slow. But you can Get Good and utilize the capabilities of the character to its fullest extent and it’s satisfying to do so. Basically a precursor to Celeste. Sonic and Knuckles has worse levels than Sonic 3.

Sonic 1 is fine. You run and jump. It’s like an ok mario game with some momentum physics and the ring system. Too much auto-death situations for the rings to really mean much though.

Sonic 2 is just holding right and pressing a. I think there’s a perception that this is what a sonic game should be like, but it’s not great. It obviously set the stage for sonic 3 to be what t is, but it doesn’t do a good enough job that it’s more fun than sonic 1. too easy to be a truely fun platformer

Sonic 1 sticks around for the right amount of time, Sonic 2 outstays it's welcome when you hit Hilltop Zone and realise you still have loving ages to go, including loving Metropolis Zone and Oil Ocean. I'll get the occasional nostalgic urge to play it then realise I'm fine with playing Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant and being done.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic 1 sticks around for the right amount of time, Sonic 2 outstays it's welcome when you hit Hilltop Zone and realise you still have loving ages to go, including loving Metropolis Zone and Oil Ocean. I'll get the occasional nostalgic urge to play it then realise I'm fine with playing Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant and being done.

Hilltop Zone has the worst Sonic music hands down. I can't think of any Sonic game I played that had something worse.

All I hear is eeEEeEEeeeEEEeeEEEee.

e: Here torture yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUcIaGvSmw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SMB2 being a different (if related) game dressed up as Mario was a good thing for a franchise in the long run, since later games incorporated elements from it and expanded the idea of what a Mario platformer can be. Part of the reason why Sonic struggles so much to make a good game is because the franchise has a clear identity crisis trying to be the ideal of what they think a 'Sonic game' should be and adhering to random parts of the formula without thinking about how it works as an actual game overall.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'd say that 9/10 sonic games, looking at the franchise as a whole, are just awful. Even the ones people like aren't great. I guess they're okay if you like fixating on playing the same levels over and over again.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'd say that 9/10 sonic games, looking at the franchise as a whole, are just awful. Even the ones people like aren't great. I guess they're okay if you like fixating on playing the same levels over and over again.

I disagree regarding the level feel. Each different level in each Sonic game do feel different both visually and design wise. If you remove all sprites I'll still be able to tell which stage is Spring Yard Zone and which is Labyrinth Zone. The obstacles and paths are different enough to give each level a distinct feel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hybrid Heaven was the best game on N64 and the best RPG of the 90s.

Can't believe someone remembered this game exists

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand any comments about what made the Genesis unique but Phantasy Star is good

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

68000 go brrr

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

site posted:

An RPG whose combat was turn based pro-wrestling against aliens is pretty hard to forget.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Archer666 posted:

An RPG whose combat was turn based pro-wrestling against aliens is pretty hard to forget.

You have my full undivided attention :catstare:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Might be worth checking the firmware. Mine was drifting bad and an update fixed it

video game controllers shouldnt have firmware updates

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

You have my full undivided attention :catstare:

All of this is from memory since I played the game like 10+ years ago.

Story wise it feels like Konami wanted to do a MGS type of game for the N64, so you got a bunch of intrigue and political stuff (and aliens), but gameplay-wise they managed to make something original and fun. Basically once you get into combat, you get placed into an arena and have to move around while your power bar fills. The power bar allows you to do kicks, punches, custom combos of the former, and grapples. The grapples are all pro-wrestling moves like suplexes, power bombs and scoop slams. You level up your character, and the more you use a move it will start to level up too. There is locational damage too, so you can punch a dude in his head to weaken it and then give him a brainbuster for increased damage. You learn new moves by having them done on you.

It's an interest system and I'm sad it never got any use outside of this game.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Archer666 posted:

Story wise it feels like Konami wanted to do a MGS type of game for the N64, so you got a bunch of intrigue and political stuff (and aliens), but gameplay-wise they managed to make something original and fun. Basically once you get into combat, you get placed into an arena and have to move around while your power bar fills. The power bar allows you to do kicks, punches, custom combos of the former, and grapples. The grapples are all pro-wrestling moves like suplexes, power bombs and scoop slams. You level up your character, and the more you use a move it will start to level up too. There is locational damage too, so you can punch a dude in his head to weaken it and then give him a brainbuster for increased damage. You learn new moves by having them done on you.

drat. That sounds badass. I’ll check it out once life bullshit calms down a bit. Thanks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

video game controllers shouldnt have firmware updates

sony does tjis thing where they automatically disconnect third party ps4 controllers after 1 hour of playtime, i guess just to gently caress with you and be anticonsumer. they keep updating their detection and my fight stick has had like 3 or 4 firmware updates just to fool the new detection and fix the 1-hour disconnect again

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

sony does tjis thing where they automatically disconnect third party ps4 controllers after 1 hour of playtime, i guess just to gently caress with you and be anticonsumer. they keep updating their detection and my fight stick has had like 3 or 4 firmware updates just to fool the new detection and fix the 1-hour disconnect again

ahahaha of course they have firmware updates to block MadCatz controllers. wow i haven't bought a modern console since PS3 i didn't realize how bad it has gotten

why do people still have consoles is it stockholm syndrome or something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Archer666 posted:

Story wise it feels like Konami wanted to do a MGS type of game for the N64,
The premise is very similar to Kojimas Snatcher, just with aliens instead of androids.

The system was extremely my poo poo. I wish it had a cult following that would inspire some indie Steam game with similar combat mechanics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Workaday Wizard posted:

Hilltop Zone has the worst Sonic music hands down. I can't think of any Sonic game I played that had something worse.

All I hear is eeEEeEEeeeEEEeeEEEee.

e: Here torture yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUcIaGvSmw

lol what, love hilltop zone. go-to shower song

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Archer666 posted:

I remember trying to play this and bouncing off it hard because of the damage system. You learn moves by having them done to you and the more you do them means you get better, but that also applies to your damage zones too. The more you get hit in the right arm the more damage resistence that arm gets. It seemed cool until I met an enemy that wouldn't stop DDTing me and since I hadn't gotten hit in the head all game they basically one shot me. Even with items it didn't matter because as soon as that DDT hit I was dead. Young me didn't know what to do so I stopped.

Still was an interesting concept.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's the kind of system that's always going to be janky when it first appears, but then no one ever followed up on it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

site posted:

hybrid heaven was the game i always wanted out of nintendo power but never got, because copies were never planned to be shipped to my area

great job konami :thumbsup:

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I have fond memories of Winback being an early cover based shooter on the 64. I believe another game on PC did it first - some mercenary game.

Then Gears of War comes out and ‘invents cover based shooting.’

Gears always felt too sluggish to me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cracker King posted:

I have fond memories of Winback being an early cover based shooter on the 64. I believe another game on PC did it first - some mercenary game.

Boy if you think gears is sluggish, winback is even worse. I actually tried to speedrun winback, but i hated the controls too much. Winback does not allow you to move and shoot at all(in reality, it's actually better most of the time not to use cover mechanics if possible because you get locked into extremely long animations when you go to fire your gun).

The big advancement is Gears combined cover shooting with a modern twin stick control scheme.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Oh you’re probably right. I haven’t played Winback since I first played it.

My favorite cover based shooter are Vanquish and Binary Domain - and you’re encouraged to NOT use cover in Vanquish.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Cracker King posted:

I remember what game you're talking about and I think it was on playstation. I'm pretty sure it was also the first game that let you blind fire. The plot had something to do with your character being remotely controlled like the movie "Gamer" I think. Whatever it was Gears ripped it off completely.

Its not Syphon Filter even though my mind is drifting to that game. Speaking of Syphon Filter had the best taser. That loving thing could burst people into flames if you used it long enough. I also liked how enemies with body armor would drop the armor if you headshotted them. Their armor was actually good since if you weren't using armor piercing guns it took forever to kill them. That game was fun and one of the reasons I kept "borrowing" my friend's Playstation.

Edit: Winback was fun and one of the only games I can think of where reloading the machine gun threw away all the excess rounds in the clip. Made a compulsive reloader like me think about it more.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 11, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cracker King posted:

Oh you’re probably right. I haven’t played Winback since I first played it.

My favorite cover based shooter are Vanquish and Binary Domain - and you’re encouraged to NOT use cover in Vanquish.

Max Payne 3 is also an excellent cover shooter for the same reasons as Vanquish... you are encouraged to not use the cover.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cover-based shooters are loving terrible in general and were by far the worst trend of the 360 era. i hope their decline continues until none are ever made again.

on that note, army of two: the devils cartel was the worst game released on the 360, and i say that as someone who owns sonic 2006

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

I remember now - Killswitch.

First to use cover based shooting according to Wikipedia.

So a PS2 game.

I think what I liked about winback and cover shooters was the feeling of being an above average solider as opposed to being the Doom guy. And yeah the reload taking all ammo sucked but also have good tension.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Cracker King posted:

I remember now - Killswitch.

First to use cover based shooting according to Wikipedia.

So a PS2 game.

I think what I liked about winback and cover shooters was the feeling of being an above average solider as opposed to being the Doom guy. And yeah the reload taking all ammo sucked but also have good tension.

Yup, that was it. I thought blind firing was such a novel idea and it was so scary accurate in that game.

Winback also had a "one in the chamber" mechanic I really liked too. Of course that meant after combat I would reload the pistol twice just for that extra round. Its the little things I liked most about that game. It tried to have at least some realism. Hell, you can't find "one in the chamber" mechanics anywhere else but hardcore simulation games now.

Then again I'm also the kind of person that loved weapon degradation in Far Cry 2. It added an extra level of tension hearing that *click* while in the middle of a firefight. It also made sense any weapon you pick up off some random militia member will be dirty and unreliable.

Edit: I think Winback never had a crosshair and you had to rely on a laser for aiming. God drat did I play that game a lot.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 11, 2021

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Holy poo poo the laser!

I completely forgot.

Made aiming more fun somehow - maybe it was just an early shooter with better than average controls for the time.

Now that I think about it I also really like Dead Space’s plasma cutter for same reason. It’s fun to put the laser on where you are aiming.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sonic Spinball is the best Sonic game. Well maybe Sonic pinball wins.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 11, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gears of War 2 is a really good and fun game.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Napoleon: Total War is by far the best in the TW series, jankiness and all

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A CRAB IRL posted:

Napoleon: Total War is by far the best in the TW series, jankiness and all

Absolutely not. The acceptable answers are Shogun 2 or Warhammer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fall of the Samurai is easily the best TW with guns

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Im so sick of the Slay The Spire rip offs not one of them captures the feel of it

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
All of the best FPS games were released back when people called them "Doom clones".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yah i love finding the blue keycard in an interminable maze of irritating corridors while mashing the use button against walls to find badly placed secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

runnypoops posted:

Im so sick of the Slay The Spire rip offs not one of them captures the feel of it

It's amazing how many games latched onto it's success without understanding why it was successful

Breetai posted:

All of the best FPS games were released back when people called them "Doom clones".

Truth