Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Around here we call him the Juicy Boy, not Tar Man, thank you

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Hollismason posted:

You should definitely check out Sleepaway Camp then post your reaction to the film in the thread.

I watched it first thing this morning. Here was my reaction:

HOLY poo poo. What started as an somewhat unassuming cheesy slasher turned into shocker at the end. I am glad I somehow never got spoilered on that. I honestly thought there were some great performances in this too. I had NO IDEA what I'd been missing out on. Still forming thoughts about it there's a lot to look into and I'm still kind of researching stuff about the film but... YEAH! That's a top tenner!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I did think this one owes a fair amount to Sleepaway Camp as well as Friday the 13th, as the older sister’s costume seems like an exact recreation of what the one counselor killed by bees wears. Also the plot element of the younger sister being terrorized by other campers and a last-scene reveal about her actual name/identity, albeit a pretty tame one compared to Sleepaway Camp.

You nailed it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Return of the Living Dead is the best zombie movie

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

CelticPredator posted:

I’d still put return over it. It’s got that badass song that plays when the zombies come out and it’s got zombies murdering cops.

Also tar-man

Partytime by 45 Grave they’re a great band I saw them support Mac Sabbath (McDonald’s themed black sabbath highly entertaining) I was lucky enough to meet the singer she was a sweetheart and very cool.

It was covered by Send More Paramedics which should be this threads favourite band they’re a Zombie thrash metal band have 3 albums all of which are very different, the last album includes a Soundtrack to a movie concept it’s very synthy I can’t recommend them enough and they’ve just got back together after a long hiatus.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can confirm 45 Grave rules the second best deathrock band after Christian Death

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All zombie films are good compared to r*b zombie films, which are trash

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

All zombie films are good compared to r*b zombie films, which are trash

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kvlt! posted:

*Re-Animator blocks your path*

*Fulci's Zombi also blocks your path*
I saw both of you and didn't hear 45 Grave once. Step aside

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t really know music well. I’m weird and I mostly listen to film scores. I did say the song tho. I love that song.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I get that 45 Grave aren't meant to be taken seriously but Partytime, the full version, is such a dark song. It also slaps.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

*Re-Animator blocks your path*

*Fulci's Zombi also blocks your path*

As a huge fan of both of these movies Re-Animator gets into striking distance but is KO'd, Fulci can't even get in the ring with Return.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

I watched it first thing this morning. Here was my reaction:

HOLY poo poo. What started as an somewhat unassuming cheesy slasher turned into shocker at the end. I am glad I somehow never got spoilered on that. I honestly thought there were some great performances in this too. I had NO IDEA what I'd been missing out on. Still forming thoughts about it there's a lot to look into and I'm still kind of researching stuff about the film but... YEAH! That's a top tenner!

You nailed it.

The weirdest thing about Sleepaway Camp to me is the old camp owner who gets excited about going in a date with his teenage employee right before they’re both killed, because he’s otherwise portrayed as a normal, kind guy. It seems like an artifact of an earlier version of the story before they cast an old man for that part.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MacheteZombie posted:

Fulci can't even get in the ring with Return.

But we get the assortment of techno remixes of Frizzi's Zombi theme. For when there's a zombie apocalypse and you just want to dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGj77FVXNGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tQQaoGzUQ

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I get that 45 Grave aren't meant to be taken seriously but Partytime, the full version, is such a dark song. It also slaps.

I just looked up the lyrics and oh my loving god

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What's a good horror novel to read while camping?

I'll probably be spending about 10 days this month on the road sleeping in a tent and I want to bring my recently acquired Kindle with me and read something spooky that's preferably camping or at least wilderness related.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Troop.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy for appropriate to the environment.
Copping Squid by Michael Shea because it's fun.
A collection of Frank Belknap Long for the weird.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

AKZ posted:

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy for appropriate to the environment.
Copping Squid by Michael Shea because it's fun.
A collection of Frank Belknap Long for the weird.

I’d add Child of God by Cormac McCarthy too

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I was gonna suggest The Road, I think everything McCarthy does is bleak enough to essentially be horror tbh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mccarthys books are good but his refusal to use punctuation is pretentious, obnoxious, and makes them borderline unreadable. Which is a shame bc like i said the writing is amazing.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I agree to an extent and it can be a barrier. For me, with Blood Meridian, it took awhile to hit the rhythm of letting it wash over me as I read. That book still gives me chills, and if you're camping while reading it for the first time, I envy that opportunity.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

mccarthys books are good but his refusal to use punctuation is pretentious, obnoxious, and makes them borderline unreadable. Which is a shame bc like i said the writing is amazing.

I (shamefully) loved Bret Easton Ellis as a teen so bad/non use of punctuation just rolls of my back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Blood Meridian: The Unauthorized Punctuation-Imbued Anti-Abridged Version

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Timothy Dexter was an eccentric 18th century businessman who wrote a book called A Pickle for the Knowing Ones which contained no puncuation whatsoever. Later editions of the book included several pages of nothing but puncuation and instructions that readers that felt they were missing could  "peper and solt it as they plese.".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I just looked up the lyrics and oh my loving god

Yeah, that was pretty much my response when I first heard it. It's definitely not a song to just randomly play for somebody unless you really know them. Don't, uh, play it at an actual party.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also

Unrelated but Suspicious Death of a Minor owns.

It has the tone and humour of Beverly Hills Cop while also being a gritty giallo about human trafficking and the brutal murders underage prostitutes.

The soundtrack veers constantly between jaunty wacky hijinks tunes and something that sounds exactly like something by Goblin. Which compliments the tonal whiplash of the film perfectly.

It even has a long slapstick laden car chase and a running gag where the main character keeps breaking his glasses.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much my response when I first heard it. It's definitely not a song to just randomly play for somebody unless you really know them. Don't, uh, play it at an actual party.

I think the version used for the movie had different lyrics it’s known as the Zombie Version

Very young, gettin' kicks
Cruisin' around, '56
Drinkin' beer, drivin' fast
This party is their last

They'll dance on the graves
Sparin' soul, savin' slaves
They don't know the acid rain
Is comin' down to make 'em insane

Do you wanna party?
It's party time
We gotta party
It's party time

They never had the chance

Shiftin' gears, wastin' gas
This party is a blast
Paid their wage, seems to me
"That's life" is what the dead say

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'll probably be spending about 10 days this month on the road sleeping in a tent and I want to bring my recently acquired Kindle with me and read something spooky that's preferably camping or at least wilderness related.

The Ruins by Scott Smith.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im not a Stephen King fan by any stretch of the imagination but the Stand is an excellent book

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also reading a story from Night Shift or another King short story collection before bed every night is a great vacation move. I remember reading Gray Matter on a cold West Virginia evening and being real creeped out.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Ritual by Adam Nevill
The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Dreamcatcher.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Two recent horror adjacent books I would really recommend are:

The Cabin at the End of the World-- a married couple and their adopted daughter are held hostage by a group of people claiming the family will need to murder one of their members in order to stop the world from ending.

A Children's Bible-- a bunch of rich teenagers are for some reason living in a big shared house while their parents drink themselves into oblivion. You slowly realize over the course of the novel that the climate apocalypse is happening

But I like reading Westerns when I go camping so I really recommend:

Outlawed--an alternate reality where the United States was decimated and destroyed by a plague in the 19th century leads to an extended wild west and one in which barren women are feared as witches. A barren midwife runs away to join a gang of crossdressing lady outlaws led by their nonbinary leader to find a way to discover what makes women barren. It's an amazing book.

Kvlt! posted:

You should read some Selby. It makes McCarthy's stuff much more accessible in comparison.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also

Unrelated but Suspicious Death of a Minor owns.

It has the tone and humour of Beverly Hills Cop while also being a gritty giallo about human trafficking and the brutal murders underage prostitutes.

The soundtrack veers constantly between jaunty wacky hijinks tunes and something that sounds exactly like something by Goblin. Which compliments the tonal whiplash of the film perfectly.

It even has a long slapstick laden car chase and a running gag where the main character keeps breaking his glasses.

Yes Yes Yes!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Cabin at the End of the World-- a married couple and their adopted daughter are held hostage by a group of people claiming the family will need to murder one of their members in order to stop the world from ending.

I read this trying to find new horror authors and found it pretty underwhelming. It felt like an amateur attempt to me and didn't click.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

AKZ posted:

I read this trying to find new horror authors and found it pretty underwhelming. It felt like an amateur attempt to me and didn't click.
I thought the prose was standard airport thriller fare, but I found myself engaged in the story.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That's fair. I did read it in the middle of a bunch of other stuff that didn't engage me, so maybe it got caught in the miasma.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I really like Paul Tremblay, although I didn’t think Cabin at the End of the World was his best. A Head Full of Ghosts is excellent. His prose is probably never gonna wow you though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

cake bunny posted:

The Ritual by Adam Nevill
The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood

Strong recommend on both these, especially The Ritual if you're camping. It's a whole lot more of everything than the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'm thinking I should revisit Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, that thing rips.