Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TGLT posted:

I know Sol's f.S is a really good button, BUT
https://i.imgur.com/pIFAwHA.mp4
maybe not fit for every situation

I wish Anji would get a big stupid grin on parry startup like he does with Sai.

Try that a few more times and enter the cool lose 50 meter and get grabbed zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
does Anji's fan dance uppercut just, like, not have recovery or what because I cannot seem to punish it no matter how fast a move I do

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Are you talking about when he spins his fans while approaching? That's -8 on block but it might push you out of range of your fast moves. The other one I can think of, when he slashes at an upward diagonal, is his 6P so it's got upper body invulnerability. His only move with plus frames is Fuujin > P (when he jumps up and tosses his fans down).

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm not in heaven, but it's served me well unless my dumb thumb drops it. It definitely takes player knowledge - I usually wait for when I feel a flow chart incoming or on run up if they've a habit of attacking . His meter's definitely more for RC than either of his supers though.

I'll never top this parry.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 11, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it has barely any recovery and he can do any air actions he wants. it’s 14 frames so i guess you could punish it with something like potemkin’s 2H if you’re quick. but instead of trying to punish it it’s not a bad idea to 6P him on the way down to catch him pushing any buttons.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

This is definitely a thing that you try to sneak in and surprise people with. Which is going to depend on whatever mental games are going on and however the opponent is playing. People who know about it are probably going to be a little wary as soon as you get meter, people who've barely fought Anji probably don't even know about it. If an Anji player is clearly trying to bait for this counter or looks like they're trying to throw it out in the middle of footsie the other player is going to consciously work around it. 100% it's not the type of move you try to toss out frequently during a full match, unless of course you're playing against someone who only knows aggression and is completely unfamiliar with blocking or how their character works.

TGLT posted:

I'll never top this parry.

Awww I was just wondering about that, i makes perfect sense though, stroke probably shouldn't beat any direct counter moves.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 11, 2021

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

TGLT posted:

Are you talking about when he spins his fans while approaching? That's -8 on block but it might push you out of range of your fast moves. The other one I can think of, when he slashes at an upward diagonal, is his 6P so it's got upper body invulnerability. His only move with plus frames is Fuujin > P (when he jumps up and tosses his fans down).

It's that but then he does like an upward swirl? I eat it when I try to jump so I'm learning that's not the way to avoid it, but it's annoying to read it and he jabs me as soon as he lands and I can't seem to even get my c.S to come out first.

also I just got very frustrated against a Ky because at least twice I could see my 5K or c.S extended but I got grabbed anyway.

e: also the game has now tried to pit me against 3 different Celestial VIP players but I kept getting "failed to connect with opponent" which is probably good for my blood pressure :v:

Skypie fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 11, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Skypie posted:

It's that but then he does like an upward swirl? I eat it when I try to jump so I'm learning that's not the way to avoid it, but it's annoying to read it and he jabs me as soon as he lands and I can't seem to even get my c.S to come out first.

also I just got very frustrated against a Ky because at least twice I could see my 5K or c.S extended but I got grabbed anyway.

Ohhh, I think you're talking about his 236S (Kou). Yeah, that one is an anti-air move that also has upper body invulnerability. It can't hit an opponent that's grounded so you don't have to think about it unless you're in the air at least.

edit: As for recovery, landing cancels out recovery from air moves and yeah Kou has low recovery (comparable to his c.S).

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 11, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What other options does Ram have to get in besides jump S and, well, S? They're sooo slow, and jump S, and also any jump move she has, seems to be easily countered by 6P. Or at least, I'M easily countered by 6P. She doesn't have a good low move either.

Her fS is pretty godlike but you can just do nothing for a brief moment instead of pressing it if you expect 6p. Then you can fS to whiff punish.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah dont jump on anji. No need to really anyway .

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
also I'd like to register the complaint that I think it's kinda dumb for multi-hit supers like Leo's, Ky's, or Sol's go through the entire animation even if they whiff because it means if you try to punish to early despite baiting it out, then you get hosed. it caused me to drop off Floor 10 and I'm kinda salty about it. Like yeah, fine, I should know to just wait for all the hits but if I successfully bait it out, I shouldn't eat a second hit from something that whiffs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skypie posted:

also I'd like to register the complaint that I think it's kinda dumb for multi-hit supers like Leo's, Ky's, or Sol's go through the entire animation even if they whiff because it means if you try to punish to early despite baiting it out, then you get hosed. it caused me to drop off Floor 10 and I'm kinda salty about it. Like yeah, fine, I should know to just wait for all the hits but if I successfully bait it out, I shouldn't eat a second hit from something that whiffs.

Tangential, but I made my friend super mad rc'ing and blocking everytime he thought he got me with a reaction super

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Goddamn do I love Anji's animations though. The sweep of the fans, the flowing movement of his sleeves, it's all great. I almost don't mind losing to him because the animations are so fun to watch. Almost.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Tangential, but I made my friend super mad rc'ing and blocking everytime he thought he got me with a reaction super

I had someone do this to me earlier and I was like "drat, nice work"

one time I did a wake-up super on a Ky and he jumped over me and I thought to myself "now, I am hosed" then remembered I still had meter so I RC'd out of the super and anti-aired him for the win lol

unimportantguy posted:

Goddamn do I love Anji's animations though. The sweep of the fans, the flowing movement of his sleeves, it's all great. I almost don't mind losing to him because the animations are so fun to watch. Almost.

Anji does have some slick animations and I like some of his exaggerated lines like "WHY SO HIIIIIIIGGGHHH" when you wall break him

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What other options does Ram have to get in besides jump S and, well, S? They're sooo slow, and jump S, and also any jump move she has, seems to be easily countered by 6P. Or at least, I'M easily countered by 6P. She doesn't have a good low move either.

I feel like blocking the 6P is a minor win if you still gain ground off of it, but thats a perspective coming from an Axl player where losing ground is almost as bad as losing health.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Just walk towards people and 2K if they're challenging S with 6P. If they whiff a 6P you either gain ground and push to corner or you can whiff punish. Once they're in the corner they die. From closer distances you can call out 6Ps with 2S for a counterhit and full screen corner carry+damage

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Probably jump less. Once you make your opponent respect Ram's far normals (or made them mash 6P) you have more leeway to dash in 5K/2K and start your offense that way. Mix in dash jumps with double jump or j.214K to throw off anti airs.

Skypie posted:

does Anji's fan dance uppercut just, like, not have recovery or what because I cannot seem to punish it no matter how fast a move I do

Anji has air options after Kou but it's slow enough that you can smack him out of any follow ups with a good vertical hitbox.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Watch out for falling j.S after a wiffed kou. It has very deceptive range

unimportantguy posted:

His air throw looks super cool too.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 11, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Skypie posted:

dying from thinking a super is over when it’s not is a long-standing fighting game tradition, especially in GG.

also what do you mean Ky he doesn’t have any supers like that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anji can also wiff j.d to fast fall and set up a butterfly while you are recovering from getting hit by a kou .

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Inos grab super having twenty projectiles as a whiff animations owns

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Anji is a wonderful brain genius moron who wants to be friends with a samurai. Then, he becomes friends with a samurai. He has no further story that matters.

Real hurthling! posted:

Anji can also wiff j.d to fast fall and set up a butterfly while you are recovering from getting hit by a kou .

I haven't tested it, but tapping FD in the air would probably let you fall even faster.

But yeah approaching Anji in the air is risky.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just wish it was impossible for anji to twirl parry an attack, get the successful parry sparks and sound, and still get grabbed or beaten by faster characters like ky.

Let me loving cancel the twirl as soon as it parries!!!!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. Hopefully the next balance patch addresses that, the unbeatable fuujin option select, and I dunno make Fuujin -> 4K a backhop so you can bail out of Fuujin unless they go for a long range poke.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

I just wish it was impossible for anji to twirl parry an attack, get the successful parry sparks and sound, and still get grabbed or beaten by faster characters like ky.

Let me loving cancel the twirl as soon as it parries!!!!

🤔

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why should i have to block after a correct read tho? Its not like he is too strong.also that still gets you grabbed

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The problem is his buttons are slow. His fastest is 6f versus something like Sol's 3f, so you can still be bopped. And twirl is already a risk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Twirl through a 3f jab and you have 35 frames left to pray that you opponent wont throw you

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

b_d posted:

dying from thinking a super is over when it’s not is a long-standing fighting game tradition, especially in GG.

also what do you mean Ky he doesn’t have any supers like that.

doesn't Ride the Lightning have a slash at the end of the charge?

and yeah, I got blown up by thinking supers were over in other games and it made me salty there too. Mostly at myself for being impatient, but I'm not going to reflect on myself and blame the beasts instead.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Twirl through a 3f jab and you have 35 frames left to pray that you opponent wont throw you

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
After some quick labbing, this is probably the best example I can come up with. You can also trade with his slash. It's a mashing race in Anji's favor, but Anji shouldn't have to mash at all. Twirl is already extremely punishable if the opponent doesn't attack, it feels like he should get the combo he wants if he makes that read.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Right!?!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I don't get why getting hit in twirl doesn't instantly make a counter button available. Not the same thing but Leo's guard stance attack is arguably easier to use since people love to press buttons and the counter hit is super fast. Anji should have that and also be able to get a combo off it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also lol i didnt know why fujin mixup stopped working recently...thanks for telling me there was an os!

I go look it up and omg anjis workhorse special move can be option selected for high/low block by simply inputting hcb after he yells "fujin"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Additionally, if you twirl into a projectile you're just hosed because the opponent doesn't suffer the hitstop.

Real hurthling! posted:

Also lol i didnt know why fujin mixup stopped working recently...thanks for telling me there was an os!

I go look it up and omg anjis workhorse special move can be option selected for high/low block by simply inputting hcb after he yells "fujin"

Yeah, they need to remove that. It's only on Sol, Gio, Leo, and Ky, but poo poo 3 of those 4 are already doing fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TGLT posted:

Additionally, if you twirl into a projectile you're just hosed because the opponent doesn't suffer the hitstop.

This scenario is why i switched to ram last night but it wasnt off stun edge it was off a twirled normal

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They really should make nagiha -2 on block or something to allow fuujin to end safely, I cant imagine playing a character that is afraid to throw out his signature neutral move

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly, a 4K backhop would be enough. You can stagger nagiha just a bit to catch anyone trying to punish the overhead, so it'd be fine if they just gave you a separate but mostly safe horizontal retreat to complement ichishiki.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just give me slayer and i wont care im only twirling cause i cant dandy

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 12, 2021

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

things I do as an old-school floor 10 scrub ram main:

-Your best combo happens off of 5K. (5K > 2D xx Dauro, 5K ender) I use f. S > H to scare people at the start of the round, but I really want to land a dash-in 5K to get my combo rocks off. if you're at the point where you "can't get in besides f.S" , it's time to go for that 5K payoff

-6P is amazing after they "beat" f.S. Most characters beat f.S by going over it or stuffing it, which 6P beats 90% of the time.

-if 6P doesn't beat their stuff, like a previous poster said - 2S will! - and then you can do (2S -> 2H -> Dauro, 5K ender) just like above situation

-Once the round is going if you land a f.S > 5H you can actually confirm that into a real combo. I "levelled up" this week because now when I recognize this situation I can do (f.S > 5H xx Dauro whiff 66RC 5S > 5H > Corner death) and actually confirming a 60% off of her ridiculous full range f.S feels amazing.

-After they're scared of everything above this and not dead, you can just run up and throw so many people who are making GBS threads themselves watching for f.S or 6P or whatever. I love throw, RC into ender and use it all the time.

--

things I don't know about Ram and need to use more, advice appreciated:

-The flip move, I think it sucks and just pretend it doesn't exist

-Anti-airing with j.P hitconfirm into air 214S, I just never get to the point in Ram rounds where I need this ever

edit: "Ender" means (5K -> 214P rekkas) if you're away from the corner, (5K > 6H > 236HS, etc.) if you're in range for corner victory

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What do you use as an ender