Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Yeah, can't wait to see the entries. Excite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Everyone is in for Round 1!

You can view the entries here.

What do I do now?

Choose one entry (other than yours) and post your choice in the thread. You have until 25 July to expand and edit it to 2500-3000 words. This is by far the meatiest portion of the contest; you have to take someone else's seed of an idea and turn it into something real.

If you haven't already selected a trope, you can opt for one in this round. If you have (or if you'd like another chance to earn a bonus point), there will be two opportunities to earn a bonus point in this round. The first will be for the submission that enacts the greatest transformation on the original. The second will be for the submission that follows through most thoroughly on the spirit of the original.

I am away from my Deck of Tropes until tomorrow; I'll deal them out then!

Zurui fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 12, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Where's my entry? I sent mine to you 9 days ago, using the same email I confirmed myself with to atlantisrevoked@gmail.com

Are you telling us these are the top 10, chosen by you? If so, that was never clear.

E: I'm also pretty sure Dog Kisser submitted an entry, too, as we'd been talking about it on a discord.

E2: this has been cleared up!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Yeah, sent mine yesterday to that address before the deadline!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I apologize; Gmail marked your emails as spam for some reason. I have corrected the error and uploaded your entries!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Zurui posted:

I apologize; Gmail marked your emails as spam for some reason. I have corrected the error and uploaded your entries!

That's a relief! Cheers :tipshat:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lux Animus posted:

I already have a concept written out for round 1: I am in-advance requesting a trope for round 2, to be delivered when the OP sees fit.

Reminder to hit me up with a sicknasty trope sometime this round, OP! Thanks!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I think I'm gonna pick #3.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I will take up the challenge of Entry 11.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Can multiple people pick a single game? Also: should we keep our choice secret

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lux Animus posted:

Reminder to hit me up with a sicknasty trope sometime this round, OP! Thanks!

I also want one for round 2.

Hostile V posted:

I think I'm gonna pick #3.

I wonder if whoever did that one has been reading the game series 2400.

Also I’d like to give permission to whoever picks my game to just replace my mechanics wholesale with Gnome’s Fellowship. Since you don’t know which one is mine just assume it applies to any of them because fellowship is that good.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Not familiar with 2400, do tell.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
There's definitely something that speaks to me about #s 1, 4, 5, 11, and 12...

...But I think I'm gonna pick #10.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 12, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Not familiar with 2400, do tell.

In short the primary resolution mechanic is a single dice trinary roll.

Roll a d6 skill dice, higher (i.e. larger die) with more skill:
1–2 Disaster. Suffer the full risk.
3–4 Setback. A lesser consequence or partial
success.
5+ Success. The higher the roll, the better.

And my immediate thought when reading it was, "It would be cool if there was a 'critical hit' level, probably at 10?" Based on the way the critical hit mechanic works in PBTA.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dog Kisser posted:

Can multiple people pick a single game? Also: should we keep our choice secret

Multiple people may choose the same one but the purpose of making your choice public is so that you can make an educated decision. Some of the concepts here are relatively narrow while some others could be taken in a dozen different directions.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think I'm going to grab me Entry #8, although there are a lot of strong contenders.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, honestly all of these are loving great. It's going to be rad seeing what y'all come up with.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm going to pick up #6, it's singing to me

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm going to go with Entry #2, a resolution mechanic already suggests a kind of game to play!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

Yeah, honestly all of these are loving great. It's going to be rad seeing what y'all come up with.

Oh, can I get my round 2 trope now?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, can I get my round 2 trope now?

:same:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DalaranJ

Pretty straightforward...OR IS IT?

Lux Animus

Will it be Kingdom Hearts, Stargate, or The Cat Who Walked Through Walls? WHO CAN KNOW?

WereGoat

This one is weird. I'm very interested to see what you pull out of a hat for it.

Since LaSquida asked, I will definitely pull more tropes off the deck for you but I'm going to rule that only the first one is good for a Bonus Point; the rest are just style.

Did I miss anyone?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I will also take a card pull!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Zurui posted:

Lux Animus

Will it be Kingdom Hearts, Stargate, or The Cat Who Walked Through Walls? WHO CAN KNOW?

Hm, this feels like both #6 (Sublime Players) and #8 (Magic vehicles) would be decent fits for such a trope, but I will go with Entry #1 to keep things fresh.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'll take another card pull, for laughs.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

I will also take a card pull!

Disclaimer: if, for any reason, you feel you cannot do this topic justice, I will happily draw another for you.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'll take another card pull, for laughs.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Zurui posted:

DalaranJ

Pretty straightforward...OR IS IT?

Well, now I wish I had watched JoJo, I guess.
I could do something like Miami Connection or No Retreat, No Surrender, that could be funny.

I guess there's Dragonball Z, or
Ranma 1/2
Oh, oh no.
*starts sweating furiously*

*leans over microphone, speaking with the voice of a dying ghost*
twelve.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Zurui posted:

Disclaimer: if, for any reason, you feel you cannot do this topic justice, I will happily draw another for you.

I can work with this

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Just tracking things:

pre:
Lux Animus	Entry  1 - "The Undungeoneers"	
Agent Rush	Entry  2 - Card-based resolution system	
Hostile V	Entry  3 - Step-die resolution system
		Entry  4 - "Rentocracy"
		Entry  5 - Wizard Academy
Meinberg	Entry  6 - "The Sublime Players"
		Entry  7 - "Spotlight Harmony"
potatocubed	Entry  8 - "The Wizard Came from the Moon"
		Entry  9 - "Let's be Pirates"
JMBosch		Entry 10 - "Skeleton Justice Warriors"
Antivehicular	Entry 11 - "The ABCsys"
DalaranJ	Entry 12 - "Gals and Goons"
As a reminder, multiple people can claim a first-round submission; you aren't forced to write about anything you don't want to just because you were later to post.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Zurui posted:

This one is weird. I'm very interested to see what you pull out of a hat for it.

Ok, I was completely blank when I seen this at first, but I've got some thoughts beyond "whuuuh?" now.

Gonna join Lux and go with Entry 1- the Undungeoneers.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The hardest part at this point is not expanding this into a full thing. Need to leave enough room for someone to put finishing touches on it.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

potatocubed posted:

The hardest part at this point is not expanding this into a full thing. Need to leave enough room for someone to put finishing touches on it.
Yeah, I keep pulling back from trying to expand it into a much bigger, fuller game. It's pretty tough to do this middle ground, glue/filler stuff that makes things make sense but still leaves enough space for someone to not only add more content but complete it as a game within their eventual word limit.

Also, it took me embarrassingly long to figure out that PbtA-style playbooks is a real bad direction to go when you have such limited wordcounts. Just copying the template for each playbook ate up over 1,000 words. Deleted that real quick.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 14, 2021

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I can definitely see that being a struggle. How do people feel about an (effectively) unlimited wordcount for the final submission?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'd be fine with it, personally -- it's reasonable to want small games, but it's easy for game mechanics to really eat words. I'd even be fine with more words for the second phase as long as the delivered project still has stuff for the final writer to fill in.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 15, 2021

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
I'd definitely be against upping the word limit for this second round unless everybody's struggling. The limit is still a good creative restriction. I just have to abandon my first approach and try something else.

I'm open to increasing or removing the word limit for the last round, though, since it's tough to gauge how many words might be needed to consider a game "finished" after what people will get from the second round entries.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Going with Entry 7, Spotlight Harmony - not taking a trope because my wife already had a firm idea for one and upon seeing the entry said I had to do that one!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'll take entry 9, let's be pirates.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Updated list:

pre:
Lux Animus	Entry  1 - "The Undungeoneers"
Weregoat	
Agent Rush	Entry  2 - Card-based resolution system	
Hostile V	Entry  3 - Step-die resolution system
		Entry  4 - "Rentocracy"
		Entry  5 - Wizard Academy
Meinberg	Entry  6 - "The Sublime Players"
Dog Kisser	Entry  7 - "Spotlight Harmony"
potatocubed	Entry  8 - "The Wizard Came from the Moon"
LaSquida	Entry  9 - "Let's be Pirates"
JMBosch		Entry 10 - "Skeleton Justice Warriors"
Antivehicular	Entry 11 - "The ABCsys"
DalaranJ	Entry 12 - "Gals and Goons"
So yeah, we'll stick with the word count for this round but just treat the third round wordcount as a suggestion.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hmm. So I've reached 3000 words and it's just a mess. There's a hint of a game in there somewhere but it's going to need some substantial expansion.

On the other hand, since people can choose which entry they want to work on I feel less bad about submitting something that needs so much work. Folks can just avoid it if they like.

I suppose in theory I've got enough time to rewrite the whole thing to be more compact, but in practice I do not, in fact, have that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Because i’m a fool, I’ve been working heavily on a project that’s due Monday, before working on this one that’s due next week. That said, I’m finally digging into the stuff now!