Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Y’all must have incredibly mindless jobs if you can listen to and comprehend vast video essays while doing them

Or have a morning/afternoon commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
My mom was telling me she encountered a group of anti circumcision protestors a year or two ago and was completely baffled. That’s when I unzipped my hoodie revealing my “GIVE ME MY DICK BACK” t shirt

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't listen to music or whatever during work, but I love having podcasts or video essays when I have a sewing project.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Y’all must have incredibly mindless jobs if you can listen to and comprehend vast video essays while doing them

my last job was so mindless that i spent 80% of my shift playing my switch, so

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for telling my friend she is reaping what she sowed?

quote:

At the beginning of quarantine my friend Bella (f/30) proposed open marriage to her husband Mike (m/28). The timing was off, obviously, but she had thought about it a lot and she said it was the only way for her relationship with Mike to survive because she loved him dearly but felt unfulfilled. Mike hesistantly agreed because he didn't want to lose her. When I asked him about it, he seemed very much not thrilled about the whole thing.

Backstory here is that Bella and Mike have known each other since middle school but only started dating in college at which point Bella had a lot more experience in relationships. Mike has told me he's always felt like he was one step behind her in most things but that their marriage really worked and he was very happy with her.

Well during quarantine, the two of them became even close than they had ever been before and I think Mike didn't expect Bella to actually go through with the open relationship idea she had proposed. But around three months ago, she brought it back up and then settled on some rules together.

Cut forward to an hour ago (it's way past midnight here) when Bella calls me crying saying Mike cheated on her. I'm all question marks at that point because Mike would never. She tells me she tried calling Mike all day but he said he had a "date" and hasn't come home yet. I asked her "but wasn't that sort of okay between you two?". She sobbingly tells me that yes, that was sort of the deal but that she hadn't been able to go on a single date with a guy yet because she was so busy with work being back on now and that Mike just went ahead with his date as if she meant nothing, that he hadn't disclosed any details to her (which as far as I know was part of their deal, that they didn't want to know any details) and that she felt like he was ridiculing her.

I didn't really know what to say and just told her "well, honey, I think you just reaped what you sowed, honestly."

She's furious with me and screamed at me for being an awful friend to her, that I should understand how she feels. I kept quiet but honestly, I think she's just upset that her husband is doing what she proposed in the first place? I haven't talked to Mike yet but ??? AITA?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being mad at my friend's significant other for not splitting the dinner check evenly?

quote:

Context: we are all in our 30's and are employed.

Last night we went out for my fience's friends 30th birthday. We went to a nice restaurant to celebrate. We ordered apps, drinks, and the like. My friend who's birthday it was brought her significant other. They have been dating for six months at this point. Her significant other does not drink, has a full time job and lives at home.

The check comes at the end of dinner. It was a large group of around ten people. So, we hand the bill to a friend who splits the bill by 9 (the birthday girl doesn't pay for dinner and drinks). It comes to 60 a person. This is where things go awry. The birthday girl's S/O only gives in 20$. Now, he does not drink, and says he only ordered a 12$ pizza that she and him split, ignoring the appetizers everyone at the table split. He refused to give more money, so everyone had to give 5$ more. I initially thought the person doing the math made an error, only to learn that the S/O refused to give in more money. His girlfriend, the birthday girl, did have apps, the pizza, and drinks.

After dinner we moved to another bar to have drinks. My fiance and I, along with another couple, went to our cars to drop off our leftovers. We got into a conversation about the events that just transpired, and it got pretty animated. They were just as upset as we were. Well, he must have seen the conversation through the window because he got up and walked down the street. We immediately stop talking and go inside, and about five minutes later the birthday girl and her S/O follow suit. The birthday girl's significant other doesn't drive, and has to take trains to get around, and about a half hour later states he has to catch a train and leave, leaving his girlfriend, the birthday girl, behind. When she gets back from walking him to the train, she says the train he wanted to take wasn't going to his stop, so he took an uber home. My fiance and I looked up the uber cost, and it cost 40$.

AITA for being upset at this? We don't want to go to dinner with this couple anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Propaniac posted:

AITA for telling my friend she is reaping what she sowed?

I kept waiting for her to reveal it was some sort of test she heard about online but nope.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did someone mention Circumcision?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being mad at my friend's significant other for not splitting the dinner check evenly?

How hard is it to understand that the guy who doesn't drink didn't feel like paying for yours?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Inceltown posted:

How hard is it to understand that the guy who doesn't drink didn't feel like paying for yours?
OTOH it was that guy's partner's birthday dinner and her dinner was being paid for by the group as a whole.

So it wasn't that he wasn't helping pay for drinks, he wasn't even contributing towards his partner's birthday dinner.

That's fuckin' cheap.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
(F27) My boyfriend (M27) has NOT had sex and NOT dated

quote:

My boyfriend is still a virgin and only had one girlfriend when he was 15. I noticed that something was up when his kissing consisted of a few pecs and a tiny bit of tongue. He told me last night when I tried to jump him that he's a virgin and wants to take it slow with me! Not sure if this should be a bad thing but its different to my exs.

Work

He finished his masters in administration and management last year and works in an office as a accounts assistant and makes €22,500 a year, which isn't amazing. I'm a DIY store supervisor and make €27,000 a year, which isn't a deal breaker but it's not a great thing since he spend a lot more time in school than me for it.

Sex/Nice

Sex has been none existent for the past five months of dating but he was more than willing to explore my fairy castle for some reason. He likes to use a mixture of toys, fingers and his mouth and get me off because he's a little scared of having sex but wants to have sex. He keeps his fridge stocked with my favourite foods and bought me a desk and a mirror for my makeup. He's an extremely kind man.

House

He lives by himself in a small apartment and it's nice and he put a lot of effort into decorating it and bought a new mattress and soft foam mattress cover because I accidentally got off too much a few times he doesn't want to damage the new mattress.

We live in Belgium/France border

Car

He drives an old suv that he bought cheap and had resprayed because it was expolice and its got some cool features.

I don't know, what to do and what to think about him.

???

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021

Kenshin posted:

OTOH it was that guy's partner's birthday dinner and her dinner was being paid for by the group as a whole.

So it wasn't that he wasn't helping pay for drinks, he wasn't even contributing towards his partner's birthday dinner.

That's fuckin' cheap.

I agree with this, this stuff is really irksome in person and almost always results in the cheapskate paying less than their fair share. Deciding how to pay/paying the check takes place pretty quickly and then people who feel wronged have nothing to do but stew afterwards, with the Uber afterwards in this case being salt in the wounds. I am personally always in favor of separate checks after spending a weekend with friends a few years ago where one person after another picked the bill up at each restaurant or bar and then the by far highest earner told the waitstaff we would be getting separate checks when it was his turn to pay, which I am still irrationally irritated about as evident by my posting about it here. Separate checks also amicably resolves the situation where the five members of your party order 5, 5, 4, 1, 0 drinks. I hate to bring up tipping but it does factor into my mind that separate checks is a little bit of a pain in the rear end for the waitstaff and will tip a little higher in that case.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Winter Stormer posted:

quote:

fairy castle

Goddamn, I hate this.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Winter Stormer posted:

???

Guy makes me cum so much I peed all over his bed but doesn’t make enough money and is a virgin? I guess is the issue?

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
He also drives a repainted decommissioned police suv.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I can't listen to music or whatever during work, but I love having podcasts or video essays when I have a sewing project.

Do you sew the foreskins back on?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Kenshin posted:

That's fuckin' cheap.

OP doesn't even know how much the bill was, let alone birthday girl's. BF bought a pizza that he split with her ($6 for him, $6 for her), $3 for a Coke, apparently, and chucked in an extra $5. It's a bit cheap, sure, but there's no way, NO WAY, he should have had to pay $40 more than that to cover his portion of her bill.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

The mere fact that they think $25,000 is a significant investment in starting a restaurant is reason enough to not give it to them. A quarter of a million is more realistic and that's just for your average middle-class-fancy bistro or whatever.

You know, if the fact that the bank won't give them any money wasn't a big enough red flag

some fast food franchises cost 250k to open and i dont mean "high end" ones i mean like jack n box and mcdonalds and poo poo. a food truck alone costs more then 25k

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

snergle posted:

some fast food franchises cost 250k to open and i dont mean "high end" ones i mean like jack n box and mcdonalds and poo poo. a food truck alone costs more then 25k

I'm pretty sure I've read that you need at least 1 million to open a McDonald's.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I'm pretty sure I've read that you need at least 1 million to open a McDonald's.

And the rest goes on a mortgage?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

emptyspace posted:

He also drives a repainted decommissioned police suv.

They are a pretty decent purchase if you can get them. Maintenance of performed regularly and any issues corrected straight away.

They will generally also be a top spec performance wise.

Your main issue will generally be high mileage, but otherwise great.

"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, I'm not sure about McDonald's, but I looked into buying a Whataburger franchise. They wanted proof of 1 million in liquid assets in addition to the franchise fees.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

snergle posted:

Even some casual thought about a restaurant makes it pretty easy to imagine how this goes if you've ever seen what goes on in one. There's a shitload of moving parts at every step, and it's hard work at even a casual pace.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

snergle posted:

Little Caeser's is famous as being the cheapest, most cost effective franchise to start

quote:

To buy a franchise with Little Caesars® Pizza, you'll need to have at least $50,000 in liquid capital and a minimum net worth of $150,000.

The best way to make a small fortune in the food industry is to start with a large fortune.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-us/franchising/franchising-faq.html They want proof you've got $1-2 million depending on location, that must be your personal funds (no partnerships) and you have to have $500k of it in liquid cash without loans. Oh, and you have to pay your own way to Hamburger University, too. Opening a McDonald's is really expensive.

Most big fast food companies are way more selective than you'd think about who they allow to run a franchise. They really, really don't want some sketchy owner in financial trouble to start cutting corners, because no matter how much PR work they do, people aren't going to blame a specific franchisee when they hear that somebody got sick at a McDonald's.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
This is why when going out as a group you agree how you’ll be paying before you start drinking or eating.

If you don’t drink and don’t have much of an appetite then you agree separate bills. If you’re not worried about it then you agree to split it equally.

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021

Space Gopher posted:

Most big fast food companies are way more selective than you'd think about who they allow to run a franchise. They really, really don't want some sketchy owner in financial trouble to start cutting corners, because no matter how much PR work they do, people aren't going to blame a specific franchisee when they hear that somebody got sick at a McDonald's.

I was looking through the restaurant health grades here and the fast food franchises consistently did better than most local restaurants. They would typically have grades like "99/100, one count of personal item stored in the kitchen" vs. "78/100, several incidences of 'food kept at wrong temperature' and 'undated food in fridge, reportedly made yesterday.'" I was a little surprised by how well the fast food places did but I guess there's enough money in the franchises for it to be more cost-effective for them to enforce/follow guidelines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

emptyspace posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure about McDonald's, but I looked into buying a Whataburger franchise. They wanted proof of 1 million in liquid assets in addition to the franchise fees.

I think a typical restaurant takes 12 months to start turning a profit? (excluding ones that never make a profit at all). So even once you've bought everything you need plenty of liquid cash to keep running it.

having fun posting posted:

I was looking through the restaurant health grades here and the fast food franchises consistently did better than most local restaurants. They would typically have grades like "99/100, one count of personal item stored in the kitchen" vs. "78/100, several incidences of 'food kept at wrong temperature' and 'undated food in fridge, reportedly made yesterday.'" I was a little surprised by how well the fast food places did but I guess there's enough money in the franchises for it to be more cost-effective for them to enforce/follow guidelines.

It's also possible that the very fact that it's a franchise means the megalomaniacal auteurs who populate most small business refuse to sully themselves with it, leaving you with people who are comfortable following rules

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 12, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I think a typical restaurant takes 12 months to start turning a profit? (excluding ones that never make a profit at all). So even once you've bought everything you need plenty of liquid cash to keep running it.

I thought it was 5 years to recoup the initial investment and truly be a "profit"

It's true for a lot of small business in general that even if they make money when they start there's a massive hurdle to make profit over the first few years as owners get either complacent or lazy when their fantasy of being an owner isn't as pretty as they thought. The oft-quoted Toronto Life guy decided to celebrate by shutting down for a week after a busy summer as a reward for everyone and every single industry person pointed to that as one of the stupidest things you could ever do.

Here's an idea of what it takes to be a successful chef-owner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmIwxqdwgrI

It's brutal hard work you do because you love it, not because you dream of chilling at the bar with the regulars, strutting around town as a local celeb.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

This is pretty infamous

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

I have literally spent the past 9 hours being paid to post

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
:witch: minor teen witch announcement :witch:

So, it appears that Reddit is having a bit of a hard time doing the whole “try to be there for your more vulnerable members” (tw for transphobia and racism *sigh*). Like more than the horrifying norm.

How you individually try to approach it, whether not frequenting subreddits, this thread, or posting ripe content from *other* sources - this is up to you. Do what thou will. Not that Something Awful can call itself a prize pig in comparison but Christ Reddit, loving come on.

But again, I’m totally cool with other sources being used, like within reason here. If stormfront had an advice column maybe don’t post that? (Hyuck hyuck you mean Reddit?)

Open to discussing this (and apologies for any potential derailment), or not, and goons do what they need to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Soysaucebeast posted:

Update: AITA for not letting my best friend have her wedding on my property after being uninvited?

> And also [distancing] from Carla after getting some confirmation on a few things that I needed to know. Whole thing is a mess.

Wonder if OP was referring to this from the original:
> Not only that but apparently Carla said a couple years ago she was still in love with me when she was already dating Rick. Don’t have actual confirmation if that’s exactly what he was told.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Husband (37 M) concealed something important from me (30 F) for years. Am I right to be upset?

quote:

Throwaway account. My partner and I have been together for 5 years. He is from another country and was previously married there. He still keeps in touch with friends there as well as his ex-wife (no kids). Occasionally he talks about them to me and they all seem a bit weird / off somehow. Today I searched his ex-wife's name on a whim and found an article in his native language which I can also read. It was from a few years ago. Apparently she was sentenced to prison in her country for attempted murder when she and 4 other guys lured a man to a house, stabbed him 10+ times, shot him and left him to die. He never mentioned this to me yet it happened while we were together and talking every day.
I confronted him about it and he was furious that I "dug up information about his life and started a problem." He said that he had nothing to do with it which is true since he was not even in the country at the time. Curious, I asked him when the last time he spoke to his ex-wife was and he said "Today, because I wanted to wish her a happy birthday." I am shocked that he would continue to carry on even a casual or distant friendship with this person! I am also shocked that he never felt the need to mention this to me as it seems like she was in some type of gang, and even though he no longer lives there, the whole situation is incredibly unsettling.

In the end, he got mad at ME, called ME a psycho for looking up his ex, and said he does not want to be with me anymore. Did I overreact?

TL;DR: Partner's ex-wife participated in a violent murder attempt, he never told me about it and still has contact with her occasionally.

:staredog:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

teen witch posted:

So, it appears that Reddit is having a bit of a hard time doing the whole “try to be there for your more vulnerable members” (tw for transphobia and racism *sigh*). Like more than the horrifying norm.

How you individually try to approach it, whether not frequenting subreddits, this thread, or posting ripe content from *other* sources - this is up to you. Do what thou will. Not that Something Awful can call itself a prize pig in comparison but Christ Reddit, loving come on.

But again, I’m totally cool with other sources being used, like within reason here. If stormfront had an advice column maybe don’t post that? (Hyuck hyuck you mean Reddit?)

Open to discussing this (and apologies for any potential derailment), or not, and goons do what they need to.

drat who would have thought that the site that hosted places “jailbait,” “chimptown,” “alt-right” and “beatingwomen” for a decade until doing a tiny bit of moderation would turn out this way

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

teen witch posted:

I went and had a look at the stormfront.org dating board and it's one thread of nazis who complain endlessly they can't find women. There's also the weirdest homemaking/gardening section I've ever seen. How to Grow Gorgeous Sunflowers: Plant Care Tips right next to Armbands for National Socialism.

Surreal is the only word I can come up with. There's also a bunch of posts in a legal subforum, but the posts are basically "I went to racially charged place, did nothing wrong, and was arrested" which is hardly worth posting. I never thought I'd write it, but Reddits premier quality is that their users really tell on themselves.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

I went and had a look at the stormfront.org dating board and it's one thread of nazis who complain endlessly they can't find women. There's also the weirdest homemaking/gardening section I've ever seen. How to Grow Gorgeous Sunflowers: Plant Care Tips right next to Armbands for National Socialism.

Surreal is the only word I can come up with. There's also a bunch of posts in a legal subforum, but the posts are basically "I went to racially charged place, did nothing wrong, and was arrested" which is hardly worth posting. I never thought I'd write it, but Reddits premier quality is that their users really tell on themselves.

Ok Y’know what if the poo poo is really* off the wall and bonkers, I’m ok with an occasional poke fun at stormfront post because I mean…stormfront. gently caress em and their interpersonal failures.

*I mean like party sub dude bonkers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The far right tend to be often this kind of thread's material because one of their key tenets is glorifying a total lack of impulse control, tact or shame. They have no conscience, no common sense and no self-awareness.

That said, best to keep a careful distance from those places and bring back anything useful with metaphorical tongs.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Which means someone will immediately open-palm slap both hands into the pile of poo poo, because goons similarly have very poor impulse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I mean on one hand, yes, its best to not give them the traffic, which I think this thread serves the purpose of, a lot of people don't have to actually go to reddit. Like that's the point. Also I can't imagine that anyone in this thread is going to go to bat for the reddit community, but if you think its harmful to the cause in any way that we keep posting stupid poo poo from reddit then I'm not really in a position to challenge that. In summary the r/retationships thread is a land of contrast.