Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Is there any way to discourage Scandanavian adventurers attacking you? Every few years some dipshit failson from Sweden or Great Britain lands in my borders with garbage tier troops I have to waste my time and money stomping out when I could be doing something that isn't annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Acute Grill posted:

Is there any way to discourage Scandanavian adventurers attacking you? Every few years some dipshit failson from Sweden or Great Britain lands in my borders with garbage tier troops I have to waste my time and money stomping out when I could be doing something that isn't annoying.

You should be able to pay them off, right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I finished the tutorial last night, but I'm wondering: what stats should each of your councilors have to make them better at their jobs? Some are straightforward like intrigue for Spymaster, devotion for Court Chaplain, etc but what about Court Physician?

Also, should you prioritize direct family members or Strong Vassals for council spots or just pick the most qualified candidates?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I finished the tutorial last night, but I'm wondering: what stats should each of your councilors have to make them better at their jobs? Some are straightforward like intrigue for Spymaster, devotion for Court Chaplain, etc but what about Court Physician?

Also, should you prioritize direct family members or Strong Vassals for council spots or just pick the most qualified candidates?

Best court physicians have high Learning and preferably a "physician" trait. A "mystic" trait is good too but can have some...interesting side effects.

Strong Vassals get pretty pissed if they don't have a spot on the counsel, and somewhat pleased when they do. It's a pretty huge opinion differential, which can be quite helpful when you're trying to keep them out of factions and whatnot. If your strong vassals aren't going to cause you too many problems then the most qualified candidate works fine.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

For physicians, learning (what you called devotion) and the actual physician traits. (Physician. Herbalist will also have a tiny bonus)
If they don't have one and the folks you invite also suck, you can appoint someone smart (quick, intelligent, genius, shrewd) and they'll probably acquire the physician traits faster.

For council, there's no point in family, specifically. The things to consider are the raw stats their job is based on, their relationship to you, and being a powerful vassal. Keep in mind that a powerful vassal who isn't yet on the council probably likes you by about 40 points higher than it says they do; they're mad they're not on the council.

Stats have the larger effect on how good they are, but a person that likes you will over perform. So a 100 relationship best friend or lover at 10 is better than a guy who doesn't care about you at 11, and is probably better than someone who hates you at 15. (I'm guessing here. Someone might wanna do the math)

Your spymaster should be the person with the highest relationship to you that's decent at the stat. A 20 intrigue spymaster that doesn't like you is much worse than a 7 intrigue spymaster that is also your mother. Because they will murder you.

You might consider putting strong vassals on the council to shut them up. If they're within a point or two of the better option, that's probably worth using them to not have them get rebellious ideas. If they're bad at everything, or if adding 40 to their relationship isn't enough for them to like you, they're probably not worth it. Sometimes just putting a dude on the council is enough to win their loyalty when you first inherit. If I die, the first thing I do is check my council, even if they were perfectly competent before; you wanna solidify your support.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Keep in mind that in this period, Learning being linked to both piety and knowledge is due to the Church's hand in education and how closely linked theology and science were, at least that's the broad strokes version of it for the Christian world specifically.

Each council position has a symbol that matches the stat in question, and you'll usually find it auto-sorted in order of skill, prioritising vassals over members of your court.

Make sure your spymaster likes you, for obvious reasons. This might mean it's best to have a family member in that position. Try not to give anybody who is ambitious that job. Definitely don't get an ambitious vassal that job. Never give an ambitious heir that job, unless you really want the rest of your family killed and to switch characters prematurely.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's interesting how good traits, or traits that make a stat better might be bad for that job. If they both have 15 martial, I will take a craven commander over a brave one any day.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Was really struggling with my Just and Paranoid character as so many decisions would increase his stress, and also financially suffering, since I couldn't blackmail people without getting an incredible amount of stress. Then I realized there's an amazing solution to this that Just provides. You can expose secrets and lower stress for that. So now I'm farming exposing secrets on minor travelling characters and lowering my stress like crazy.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Wife mysteriously died and I had my 19 Intrigue councilor on defend against schemes. I suspect it was him since he's my brother. I sacked him and put in an Intregue 20 councilor and am looking for secrets in his county. We'll see what we find.

So with my new wife I thought I was being a genius by marrying a four year old in the Duke of Tuscany's family, since it'd get me a super powerful ally, but no possibility of new heirs to upset my succession plan. Then I realized the flaw here, I don't get a wife character for a good decade plus. Whoopz. That's a stats downgrade.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Frionnel posted:

Same, i've wanted this for so long. Random inheritance never really felt good in the previous games but with this one locking you to gavelkind for so much longer i feel the game needs something better. I could see it working kinda like peace treaties in HoI4 where you have to select to please everyone in the alliance.

Your kids traits should affect it too, for example a greedy or ambitious second kid should be very hard to please.

Would it be too much to ask the system to give your kids counties that were in the same duchies or at least contiguous if possible? Drives me up a wall.

---------
I did it. I conquered Normandy, made one of my sons King of Aragon and crowned my self Emperor of the Franks.

After that the rest of the Kingdom of Burgundy bent the knee.

Byzantines are rolling

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's great the you restored the Karlings or whatever, but have some self-respect and clean up your borders before showing other people your map barf. Cheers.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Acute Grill posted:

if it's the northmen army, this mod was made to prevent the same target from being selected twice in a row. otherwise, it's just waiting for the tribal era to end.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Acute Grill posted:

Don't they usually pop up an event that gives you the option of granting them the duchy they were attacking? Unless it's your dynasty's land, I almost always choose that option, and I play on Apocalyptic.

Phlegmish posted:

I looked at the research screen and it is indeed kind of insane how long you're stuck with the garbage default partition system. I deliberately don't develop the counties outside of my capital one, because they'll just go to my heir's potential enemies anyway.

If you have access to any of the elective types, you can get around this, even if your official succession type is still confederate partition. Having multiple top-level titles with the same elective succession (Saxon, Tanistry, etc) will cause all titles under them to go along with them at inheritance.

As an example, you have 2 duchies and 4 counties, 2 in each duchy, along with 2 kids. Your culture is Anglo-Saxon, and your normal realm succession is the default confederate partition. Upon death, it would normally be split with 1 duchy + 2 counties to one heir, and the other duchy plus counties to your secondary heir. If you open up the first duchy you can spend prestige to add Saxon Elective to it, choosing your primary heir. Upon death, nothing changes from before, the first duchy plus counties go to your heir, and the second duchy follows your partition rules and goes to your second child.

However, if you then spend the prestige to add Saxon elective to the second duchy, suddenly your primary heir will get both duchies, along with all counties under them. Your secondary heir would get nothing, since you have no other titles. If you then conquered a 5th county outside of the two duchies you already had, that would go to your secondary heir now, but your primary would get both duchies and all 4 counties under them.

If you then went ahead and created a kingdom though, you'd go back to only a single top level title, and so the normal confederate partition would kick in.

Basically, elective successions with multiple top level titles will transfer all dejure titles underneath them to your primary heir. If you have the prestige to spare (or a religion that makes it free), adding some form of elective to all your top level titles will let you work around the early game partition woes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there’s no reason to add elective to your primary title, it’s getting inherited regardless

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'd love to free the good people of Sardinia from the Zab via holy war, but for some weird reason.... that's not an option?

I can definitely start a holy war against the ruler of that county, but I can't claim that county as a reward. I'm forced into selecting one random other county. Huh?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Satfura is two sea zones away, and Sardinia is technically 3.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ah makes sense.

One of the Extort Populace options has me almost double my return, but at the cost of *gasp* tyranny, that would reduce option from everyone by 10. Worth it?

What does the opinion of the population effect? I've tried googling for this but not clear. Does it just relate to whether or not the population is gonna rebel or not, or does it factor into other things like taxes?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Popular Opinion is roughly the opinion of the peasantry. Low popular opinion makes for lots of peasant rebellions, but peasants suck poo poo at fighting so that's generally not a big deal and you can ignore it.

The exception is Scandinavian Elective, where the popular opinion in your capital determines your voting strength. If that's your succession law you want to care about it a lot, but only in your capital.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it possible in the Crusader Kings games to start in China or does it only goes as far east as Mongolia/Tibet/India?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
China is not playable in any of those games. CK2 had Jade Dragon expansion adding some limited interaction with the Chinese Empire. They could launch an expedition, you could pay tribute and ask for boons, things like that.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ilitarist posted:

China is not playable in any of those games. CK2 had Jade Dragon expansion adding some limited interaction with the Chinese Empire. They could launch an expedition, you could pay tribute and ask for boons, things like that.

China itself is also not on the map. You can play Tibet / Mongolia and other places that have been part of China at various points, but "China" is not on the map either as geography or as a polity.

I hope we get another silk routes / general trade routes expansion, those things were really important historically.

That said, the CK3 map is a bit bigger than C2's, there are some places east of India (Burma?).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is it possible in the Crusader Kings games to start in China or does it only goes as far east as Mongolia/Tibet/India?

CK3 (maybe only with mods?) does have Khitan and Han cultures if you want to start as Chinese in Tibet or North of Tibet, but the map pretty much stops there.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

CK3 (maybe only with mods?) does have Khitan and Han cultures if you want to start as Chinese in Tibet or North of Tibet, but the map pretty much stops there.

That's in vanilla. The 8xx start also has a few Taoist rulers north of Tibet, IIRC in the Tarim basin.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
CK3s map is also really clearly designed to expand to China in a future dlc.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm on high partition with absolute authority/heir designated and the succession screen is telling me that my designated heir will not inherit anything and everything I own will go to her twin sister, how do I fix that?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

I'm on high partition with absolute authority/heir designated and the succession screen is telling me that my designated heir will not inherit anything and everything I own will go to her twin sister, how do I fix that?

If you've just switched rules wait for the monthly tick to realize that and it will update itself.

If not check to see if your titles have specific inheritance laws that would overrule your default settings.

Otherwise I would need more info to answer this question.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm still really confused on how to approach this game. First, it seems like Crusader Kings is a lot slower than other grand strategy games like Civ V or the Total War games. In those games, I raise troops and go siege a neighboring province or extract resources. Boom, done. Tangible progress.

Here, I'm just sitting around waiting while my Bishop fabricates claims for a year or I go on a pilgrimage and come back. Plus, my half-brother died of his wounds so an alliance gets thrown out the window with a lord in some faraway province that had no relevance to me anyways while I've been doing sweet FA. :confused:

I don't even know how to raise levies properly to go fight a war on a claim that I have. With my Duke (?) of Munster, I'm sitting at around 1k levies which is pretty low, I guess? Apparently I need to train knights of the correct type which is a different system entirely? It all just feels really weird. I've been watching multiple 30 minute to 1 hour-long intro tutorial videos on YouTube and my purpose of what I should be doing still doesn't seem clear.

Of course, I want to conquer my neighbors and spread my dominion and make a bigger splotch of my own personal shade of green on the map, but it's so open-ended and any potential approach could potentially go out the window as to feel meaningless. Why should I help out my half-brother get a nice wife if they could just as equally turn around and try to murder me or end up dying randomly? Or the eligible wives for potential alliances are not even anywhere near the British Isles?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 12, 2021

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SlothBear posted:

If you've just switched rules wait for the monthly tick to realize that and it will update itself.

If not check to see if your titles have specific inheritance laws that would overrule your default settings.

Otherwise I would need more info to answer this question.

I'm the Emperor of Bengal/Pagan, with my other titles being the kingdom and duchy of Pagan and it's de jure counties. It's currently 1150 and I last changed my laws 80 years ago when I unlocked high partition and with no custom laws on any of them. I made my own religion with gender equality a century ago because I had a genius herculean daughter as my only good heir among a gaggle of failsons but that shouldn't matter since the succession problem is between twin sisters.

I had enough prestige to designate somebody else as heir and that works fine but if I designate it back to the princess I want it tells me that all the titles will go to the inferior twin again, even after waiting a month to update it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you increase levies by either improving your territory (slow, expensive) or conquering more

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm still really confused on how to approach this game. First, it seems like Crusader Kings is a lot slower than other grand strategy games like Civ V or the Total War games. In those games, I raise troops and go siege a neighboring province or extract resources. Boom, done. Tangible progress.

Here, I'm just sitting around waiting while my Bishop fabricates claims for a year or I go on a pilgrimage and come back. Plus, my half-brother died of his wounds so an alliance gets thrown out the window with a lord in some faraway province that had no relevance to me anyways while I've been doing sweet FA. :confused:

I don't even know how to raise levies properly to go fight a war on a claim that I have. With my Duke (?) of Munster, I'm sitting at around 1k levies which is pretty low, I guess? Apparently I need to train knights of the correct type which is a different system entirely? It all just feels really weird. I've been watching multiple 30 minute to 1 hour-long intro tutorial videos on YouTube and my purpose of what I should be doing still doesn't seem clear.

Of course, I want to conquer my neighbors and spread my dominion and make a bigger splotch of my own personal shade of green on the map, but it's so open-ended and any potential approach could potentially go out the window as to feel meaningless. Why should I help out my half-brother get a nice wife if they could just as equally turn around and try to murder me or end up dying randomly? Or the eligible wives for potential alliances are not even anywhere near the British Isles?

There should be a red flag on your capitol county that, when clicked, gives you the options to raise all your troops or just your Men-at-Arms. To train those you go to the crossed swords icon on the left and there's a section for training and expanding you MaA. However, if this is Ireland in 1066 your 1k army should be enough to conquer 1 or two other counties (you should already have a claim on the one to your south), which will get you more men to conquer more counties...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

CK3s map is also really clearly designed to expand to China in a future dlc.

I loving hope not.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's an open-ended game closer to Dwarf Fortress or even Sims than to Civ or Total War. There are no win conditions - though you can aim for a higher dynasty score, on painting the map. You can start playing as the emperor of East Roman Empire or lowly count inside of that empire, and both are interesting to play. It's totally fine to play suboptimally and just enjoy the ride. Many people eventually start chasing achievements or self-imposed challenges when they get a hang on it, but before that you can react to what happens around you and look up that advice panel at the top. Even losing conditions are quite benign: most conquerors don't destroy you but strip you of your high titles leaving you as vassals under their rule, and you can get everything back eventually. Just roll with it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

I'm the Emperor of Bengal/Pagan, with my other titles being the kingdom and duchy of Pagan and it's de jure counties. It's currently 1150 and I last changed my laws 80 years ago when I unlocked high partition and with no custom laws on any of them. I made my own religion with gender equality a century ago because I had a genius herculean daughter as my only good heir among a gaggle of failsons but that shouldn't matter since the succession problem is between twin sisters.

I had enough prestige to designate somebody else as heir and that works fine but if I designate it back to the princess I want it tells me that all the titles will go to the inferior twin again, even after waiting a month to update it.

Hmmm. Does that character have some trait that prevents them from holding land? Monk or the equivalent? Or are they of a non gender equal religion?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The key I think is to pick a character and a goal at the outset.

Historical characters are good for this, for example start as the one Hohenstaufen count in 1066 and try to marry around, usurp your ducal overlord, and then try to get yourself elected as Emperor (although the game is honestly more fun if you stay a vassal I think). The Angevin counts of Anjou and Touraine are also personal favorites, but the start can be pretty damned rough, and the Normans have little interest in marrying you which makes becoming Angevin Kings of England somewhat tricky, I usually wind up King of France first. Sancho in Castile is probably a better beginner start, with reuniting your father's kingdom and then the eventual reconquest of Iberia as obvious goals.

The marriage thing is somewhat ridiculous though. The AI seems to primarily consider the prestige they'll gain from a marriage, and military strength literally as just the levy number with no consideration given to proximity. But then again any AI will happily traverse the entire map to fight a war for any ally, even if it takes a decade to get there.
:negative:

As for why you should marry your brother off to somebody good, it's so that their children (of your dynasty) will inherit claims to new lands, and you can install them as rulers there. If the title tier they gain is less than yours (say you as a Duke press their claim to a county) they'll become your vassal. If it's equal or greater they don't, but great for generating Renown, and they'll usually like you enough to marry up for an alliance if you need one.

Asehujiko posted:

Who will inherit your top level title? Is it Elective and going to somebody else? That's the one case where I've seen it be super wonky.

And will your designated heir actually become your player heir? Are they set to inherit anything at all?

I'd also say it's worth a bug report on the official forum's either way, but Sweden is currently On Vacation so don't hold your breathe for a fix.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 12, 2021

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Asehujiko posted:

What are your gender inheritance laws? And do your twins have any male sons?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Asehujiko posted:

Is your designated heir your realm priest?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The games I'm playing most these days are this and Rimworld. Rimworld bills itself as a "story generator" more so than a game, but I think that applies more to CK3 than to Rimworld. It's much more about seeing what shenanigans you and your family can get up to than painting the map.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd love to see a Warring Kingdoms/Three Kingdoms Grand Strategy game one of these days.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

The key I think is to pick a character and a goal at the outset.
I agree. I tend to have some goal in my mind when starting a new game - e.g. unite India and make it all nudist, reform Kushitism and retake Egypt from Abbasids.
My last game had some really nice emergent story though - I found some unmarried genius woman on some Norse court and I wanted to marry her to my ruler. But suddenly some old Norse guy took her as his concubine and she left my diplomatic range. So I spent next 15 years or so trying to get within the reach and finally elope with her. The story ended up being lot more complicated than I expected, but it had happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I loving hope not.

the south has a nice straight line at the edge of the map, the west has a nice straight line at the edge of the map, but the east looks like someone has torn off part of the map.