Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There were worse shows. That one I enjoyed for the sheer lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh remember Tyrant? That was a bizarre trip.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Need more history than that

Bespoke: The first General Hospital episode to air in your lifetime

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Under the Dome was OK for one season. Then it went bad fast.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Azhais posted:

Need more history than that

Bespoke: The first General Hospital episode to air in your lifetime

I went to Wikipedia to check and it just says "episodes: 14,000 (as of February 23, 2018)" and now I'm disappointed it doesn't have season by season lists with mini synopses and guest stars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

bagrada posted:

I went to Wikipedia to check and it just says "episodes: 14,000 (as of February 23, 2018)" and now I'm disappointed it doesn't have season by season lists with mini synopses and guest stars.

Who knows if the networks even have all the recordings of the early episodes. poo poo gets lost.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Under the Dome was OK for one season. Then it went bad fast.

The first season still suffered from the insane time compression on that show. Like I think over the course of two in-show weeks a woman's husband was murdered, she started a new relationship, learned that her new boyfriend was the one who murdered her husband, and forgave him so they could continue their relationship. And somewhere in there she also took a piece of rebar through the leg and then healed fully.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First episode of The White Lotus was fuckin awesome, welcome back to tv Mike White

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that low

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Is that low

Legends of Tomorrow got that like three seasons ago and they're still on.

Also it doesn't matter since CW is just reairing it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'll admit that I watched the first episode last year and, despite loving the creators, found Wellington Paranormal to be... lacking... in some respect. Maybe it gets better but that first episode didn't grab me enough to watch the rest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, unless they've factored in overseas licensing into the budget, the worst that's going to happen is that it'll be pulled from CW and only be on HBO Max.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I set it to record but something went wrong with the DVR and all the stuff in prime time didn't save so well, I'm good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, it's free on the CW app and it's on HBO Max if you have that. So, not really all that hard to watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Never Have I Ever season 1 in preparation for s2 dropping on Thursday. This is seriously the best Mindy Kaling project to date and one of the best teen shows of recent years. I wish everyone would talk about this show instead of Sex Education

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the topic of paranormal, was the Hardy Boys first season any good?

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Is that low

That's just a ghost making a scary face

o__o

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I liked Never Have I Ever, easy enough binge and looking forward to s2 as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sumo posted:

That's just a ghost making a scary face

o__o

Gah!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

And all $60 mil of that goes straight to Disney.
Don't like 90% of first weekend receipts go to the studios?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well the theaters never made bank on receipts anyways, it was more about popcorn, soda, etc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would the studio division of disney get a cut from the streaming platform of disney? I suppose it doesn't really matter in this case since it's all Disney in the end. I think this was one of the big reasons that the studios were pissed at HBO Max simultaneously releasing the movie on their streaming service: because they don't get a cut from that.

GreenNight posted:

Well the theaters never made bank on receipts anyways, it was more about popcorn, soda, etc.

iirc most movies have a 50/50 split of the box office revenue between the studios and theaters for the first month, then it increases for the theaters as time goes on. Disney is definitely big enough to bully the theaters for a bigger cut of the pie though.
e: only for domestic movies. Overseas the studios get an even smaller cut of the box office since the local distributor takes a chunk for themselves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 13, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why would the studio division of disney get a cut from the streaming platform of disney? I suppose it doesn't really matter in this case since it's all Disney in the end. I think this was one of the big reasons that the studios were pissed at HBO Max simultaneously releasing the movie on their streaming service: because they don't get a cut from that.
I meant from traditional box office, I always thought studios get almost all the first weekend take.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Studios absolutely get the vast majority of ticket revenue even early on in a film’s run - something like 90%, like Josh Lyman said. That’s why cinemas charge so much for refreshments.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, unless they've factored in overseas licensing into the budget, the worst that's going to happen is that it'll be pulled from CW and only be on HBO Max.

Probably CW Seed, like Taskmaster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That actually raises a question I've had for awhile. Why does CW Seed exist?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

That actually raises a question I've had for awhile. Why does CW Seed exist?

It is basically streaming syndication.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So White Lotus episode 1 was great. I hope we get a decent amount of episodes out of this show since it's just a limited series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it was a good start. Gotta love how the HBO nudity tag was for Steve Zahn’s whole hog on display.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Might I suggest Black Monday? Also by David Caspe, some of the same actors, similar energy?

Three episodes in, and this show is fantastic. Not sure how it flew under my radar but you're absolutely right, definitely has the same energy (boosted with cocaine) as Happy Endings.

*Also, Rex from Philly just made an appearance. I bet if you pop those pants off, you'll find a bird that won't quit.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 13, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have to check it out. I think I had it in my mind categorized as similar to Cheadle's other Showtime show.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Josh Lyman posted:

It depends on the studio in question and the specific movie; bigger movies with more hype around them (sequels, primarily) can see the studio demanding a bigger cut. I'm not entirely sure if it was ever confirmed, but the smoke on the street around the release of the last Avengers movie is that Disney was demanding 100% of the release weekend box office take.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Genuinely freaky episode of Evil this week. Still no ghost cum tho.

Meanwhile Kevin Can gently caress Himself had some great sight gags. The show has nothing but contempt for some of the sitcom plots it was spoofing this week, and started to go all Adult Swim (in a good way). Not what I expected, but loving great all the same.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 13, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is something funny about how Kevin Can gently caress Himself can deal with some relativly dark storylines, but they aren't allowed to write the word 'gently caress'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously having a show title with the word "gently caress" in it would have added all kinds of complications but I just kind of take it as part of the gag. Like the first episode even ends with her saying "mother f" and the sister in law saying "just say the word".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished rewatching Never Have I Ever s1. It’s real good but I feel like the mom got off too easy after acting like a tremendous shithead for the entire season. I feel like I probably made this complaint when it first aired too but seriously like what the gently caress she should be apologising to her daughter over and over for the rest of her life lmao

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Finished Nightflyers last night, I thought it had some decent performances and got nicely freaky at points. Mashup of Event Horizon, Sunshine and 2001. I think it's a shame it got cancelled but a second season didn't seem hugely necessary.

Haven't seen any conversation about it apart from the cancellation, is that because it aired on SfFy a while ago whereas I only recently noticed it on Netflix.

The plot got a bit scattershot in the middle but with shows like Loki being way too short and not letting things breathe, I didn't mind a bit of flab to fill out a good 10 episodes.

For anyone worried about starting it, there is a resolution at the end and again I wasn't too heartbroken they weren't going to continue. Also if you've only watched the first episode, the bits you see at the beginning are developed upon and it's not quite what you think it will be.

Edit: Yea I should've checked, really old show - 2018! Anyway if you like horror sci-fi then I say give it a go

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 13, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Emmy noms are coming out, here they are so far

Coffin Flop snubbed again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1414973939311423488?s=21

Emmys still suck wtf is this poo poo

and Emily in Paris? really???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL @ Lovecraft Country being nominated for best series. That show was such loving trash.