Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

pooch516 posted:

Have you played it beyond the map screen?

Yes, though I'm only ascension 8 across the board.

I get the FTL vibe from having to plan the run against the endgame while making sure the early game doesn't steamroll you with its constrained randomness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

is pepsi ok posted:

I largely agree with this. My hot take is that deckbuilders are inherently the genre that is most compatible with roguelikes. The whole appeal of roguelikes to me is that you are constantly playing the game at 2 levels. You have to deal with the immediate challenges while also making decisions to build yourself up to handle future more difficult challenges. Deckbuilding lines up perfectly with this

StS deserves credit for nailing down a lot of the particulars of the formula, but I also think it gets a lot of undue credit for essentially just putting peanut butter and chocolate together.

It's still one of my all time favorite games, but my opinion on it changed a lot when I played Monster Train and realized that base formula will always work, but there's so much more you can do with it. Saying StS is still the best is kinda like saying Metroid is still the best Metroidvania.

Excuse me but Symphony of the Night is the best Metroidvania. Having a exp-based level system makes you get better naturally the more you play, while in Metroid/Super Metroid you either have to blanket every room in bombs for upgrades, which is tedious as hell, or otherwise just look up item locations in a guide, which is dull for different reasons.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

And that also let you kick Henry Rollins's rear end, didn't it? That's deffo better than Butcher Bay then.

E: And if John Romero tells you that the best way to play DOOM is with a joystick then how can you argue? Either just do it or he'll make you his bitch.

He walked that back recently. Guess the cocaine ad money was just too good to pass up back in the 90s

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1406971938057117697

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I would like to rescind my previous statement re: FPS games and include Bulletstorm as the only post-doom-clone-era game worth its salt.

It knew it was a game, gave no fucks, and just wanted you to kill poo poo in increasingly inventive ways.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Archer666 posted:

He walked that back recently. Guess the cocaine ad money was just too good to pass up back in the 90s

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1406971938057117697

Optimized Controlball is a pretty good username, though.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Bullet storm had a fun incentive to be creative- which you discovered by playing the game.

I’m still amazed it didn’t do as well.

Kill your dick indeed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I play call of duty campaigns because I like seeing what happens when companies spent hundreds of million dollars on a two hour long game - they generally look really loving cool for their time. Would I ever replay one? Probably not, but they sure do look pretty.

I remember seeing an interview somewhere with an intern(?) who spent an entire year or two at the company working on like a 15-minute section in one of the cod campaigns where you get to drive a tank.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like the old shooters because you get to spend every minute of your play time having fun, instead of watching cutscenes or listening to dialog and thinking about how fun the game might be once it lets you play.

Looting boxes and looking for somebody to shoot is apparently fun or something?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I remember seeing an interview somewhere with an intern(?) who spent an entire year or two at the company working on like a 15-minute section in one of the cod campaigns where you get to drive a tank.

tbf you can use the tanks on some multiplayer maps

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Looting boxes and looking for somebody to shoot is apparently fun or something?

also mashing your face along the walls spamming the use button looking for some randomly placed secret

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

also mashing your face along the walls spamming the use button looking for some randomly placed secret

Don't worry I know what you want; first person platforming.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Don't worry I know what you want; first person platforming.

the best platforming is 2nd person platforming (where you play from the perspective of the platform)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best second-person game is lifeline for the ps2

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

syntaxfunction posted:

I feel like there's definitely balance in the whole power balancing thing in games. My personal opinion probably falls more along the lines of numbers can be fine and balanced but if a player wants to take the time to figure out a build that works so well for them that they can exploit it who cares.

This is largely why I singled out single player games. Alright keep the numbers good. But let's say a player can, through planning or whatever, get skill A which is balanced, and skill B which is also balanced. But combined they produce an effect or technique that is really powerful. I honestly don't see why that is a problem. Like who cares, you're playing by yourself. If it's so broken don't take it or use it the broken way.

Balance is important and good. But not everything has to be perfectly balanced, and I'd rather more unbalanced but fun things than perfectly balanced and boring.

The problem is that far too often that A+B interaction is the only one like it or is so screamingly far ahead of even other "broken" strategies that it drags everything into the classic player optimization problem. Saying "just don't use it then" doesn't really work - games have spent years and years training players to seek out the most optimal outcome. It shouldn't fall on their shoulders to compensate for the designers royally loving up. Ideally games should have a panoply of wild, wacky, broken bullshit that's all roughly balanced against each other.

Though it's not always cut and dry. I think a lot of games DO have relatively balanced systems, but convey them so poorly that players assume only one thing is viable because the game failed to communicate to them otherwise. Like I think of how Bioshock quickly trains players that wrench + electrobolt is stupid strong then dripfeeds new guns, all of which are underwhelming at first because they need to be upgraded and/or fed specialized ammo to really shine. Plus Bioshock's gunplay is just kinda stiff and awkward in general. End result being people complaining that the wrench build is the only way to play the game, which sucks because they hate using that build.

And then you have the players that 100% self-inflict it on themselves. The types that grind their party to level 99 on disc 1, who spend 5 hours pre-gaming their Elder Scrolls character so they can have max-stats right out of the tutorial or w/e. There's also probably a lot of :words: to be spilled on the curious dichotomy of "getting all of my characters to level 99 early using every last trick, exploit, glitch, and optimization is just good system mastery" and "use a gameshark to set your party to level 99 instantly? HOW DARE YOU, THAT'S CHEATING". And I wonder how many people eschew just...setting a game to easy because that's for dumb idiot babies only and doesn't stroke your ego. Breaking the game and turning it into a defacto easy mode is for galaxy brained real gamers. Gotta shows those devs who's boss. :smug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This tedious bipster nonsense needs to be stapled to a billboard with red hot rebar hl2 is still really good I M H O

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sebmojo posted:

This tedious bipster nonsense needs to be stapled to a billboard with red hot rebar hl2 is still really good I M H O

Normals like Half Life 2 therefore goons must make it known how bad they think it is.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I got half life 2 when it came out and it was cool I guess but I felt all the enginey stuff like with the gravity gun and all was a bit gimmicky. Day of defeat however, that was a game I could sink some hours into

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Half life 2 is real good and clever in a bunch of parts. One part you're dodging sand bugs and then you get a grenade to control them and you're using them as weapons an hour later. Parts like that are real good and are seamless in their execution.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The hoverboat and car sections of Half-Life 2 are some of the strongest of the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly remember kinda slogging through large parts of HL2, and then never ended up finishing Episode 2 as I lost interest at the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love Robert culps voice work to bits, the speed of movement is super refreshing, the guns are ok (smg) to good (shotgun, magnum, heavy rifle), the pivots into things like ant grenades and light squad combat are fun, the intermittent music is excellent when you are e.g James bonding it down the canal, and there are some great little vignettes where you find a place the survivors holed up or w/e.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
HL2 hasn't aged perfectly and certainly has some rough spots, but I too have never understood those "actually it's so piss poor awful I would rather play Daikatana :smug:" takes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sally posted:

The hoverboat and car sections of Half-Life 2 are some of the strongest of the game.

I remember at release there was so much complaining about the hover boat section and I was baffled because it was really good.

I wish there was a way to skip the “we swear these aren’t cutscenes” bits though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never had a problem with first person platforming

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Murdoch posted:

HL2 hasn't aged perfectly and certainly has some rough spots, but I too have never understood those "actually it's so piss poor awful I would rather play Daikatana :smug:" takes.

I actually tried to play daikatana over lockdown and the opening cutscene is like 15 minutes lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
HL2 is cool

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My thought on the hoverboat section is that it probably could've stood to have been slightly shorter. Also if you're one of the people it triggers hellacious motion sickness for, that sucks too. But overall it's pretty drat good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

My thought on the hoverboat section is that it probably could've stood to have been slightly shorter. Also if you're one of the people it triggers hellacious motion sickness for, that sucks too. But overall it's pretty drat good.

I forgot HL2 was one of the last big ticket FPSes that triggered motion sickness in a lot of people. They pretty much had that problem solved (mostly, at least) not long after. Turns out head bob was a bad idea.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The most average videogame I've ever played was Brute Force on the original xbox

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's pretty easy to see the duct-tape, hidden mirrors and wire when playing HL2 now, but I will say to this day I still see faded urban areas or liminal spaces like loading bays or warehouses revealed behind demolished buildings and think "Oh, hey, that's like Half-Life 2" which says a lot about the sense of place and space the game established.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember at release there was so much complaining about the hover boat section and I was baffled because it was really good.

It was nearly as good as the train level in hl1.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The most average videogame I've ever played was Brute Force on the original xbox

the multiplayer was fun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Disco Pope posted:

It's pretty easy to see the duct-tape, hidden mirrors and wire when playing HL2 now, but I will say to this day I still see faded urban areas or liminal spaces like loading bays or warehouses revealed behind demolished buildings and think "Oh, hey, that's like Half-Life 2" which says a lot about the sense of place and space the game established.

Derelict industrial areas are a very... would say 00s video game aesthetic, but pretty sure it's also long before or after. Maybe I just still remember a tour around a disused, overbuilt graphite mine being weirdly like Borderlands.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The best Half Life 2 style game is Resistance 3. Really cool game, I don't think anybody played it but it has unique weapons and a great aesthetic.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I loved all of the vehicle sections in HL2. They reminded me of nice relaxing country drives through some interesting scenery. It wasn't really an atmosphere any other game has captured for me.

Keep in mind I haven't played HL2 for a decade so all memories are likely rose colored.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

hawowanlawow posted:

the multiplayer was fun

not a dig at you specifically but "the multiplayer was fun" is the most shallow defence of an otherwise irredeemable game

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

JollyBoyJohn posted:

not a dig at you specifically but "the multiplayer was fun" is the most shallow defence of an otherwise irredeemable game

New Super Mario Bros

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The best Half Life 2 style game is Resistance 3. Really cool game, I don't think anybody played it but it has unique weapons and a great aesthetic.

Resistance 3 did retro future better than Fallout 4.

I loved how the drones floated - very old school sci-fi pulp.

Man, I also really liked the auger gun from Resistance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nice Van My Man posted:

I loved all of the vehicle sections in HL2. They reminded me of nice relaxing country drives through some interesting scenery. It wasn't really an atmosphere any other game has captured for me.

Keep in mind I haven't played HL2 for a decade so all memories are likely rose colored.

I liked the atmosphere of the driving sections, how everything seemed so normal, almost benign, but there was obviously something very wrong going on.
They did it in an understated way, which I still l like to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I still remember a part where I was just driving along the coastline, then came across a house just off the side of the road where a small combine force had just finished burning a family.