Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the problem with rebellions in Vicky 2 is that they usually ended up just being rebel whack-a-mole, where the only time they were ever seriously threatening is when they appeared in such vast numbers that they were dropping stacks of like 100k+ units on your capital and sieging it down before you could gather a large enough force to push them back. Which meant that rebellions basically were either "zero threat minor annoyance" or "instant revolution you have no ability to stop" and absolutely nothing in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I could see having most stuff usually attached to rebellions actually happening out of the players hands. Like interests groups fighting it out and taking/losing power and the only time it ever actually comes to warfare is if the player makes the choice to send in troops. And even then it doesn't actually break out on the map scale unless the associated groups the player is attacking is big enough to trigger a full on civil war. But giving interest groups the power to actually meaningfully hurt the country through strikes/protests etc to the point where the player would actually become tempted to start that fight. And of course the player having a lot of other tools to address that outside of force.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the problem with rebellions in Vicky 2 is that they usually ended up just being rebel whack-a-mole, where the only time they were ever seriously threatening is when they appeared in such vast numbers that they were dropping stacks of like 100k+ units on your capital and sieging it down before you could gather a large enough force to push them back. Which meant that rebellions basically were either "zero threat minor annoyance" or "instant revolution you have no ability to stop" and absolutely nothing in between.

That's not entirely fair, there's also 'zero threat but enormous annoyance because you have to hunt down 100 small rebel stacks'

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

One thing Johan was right about is that if you’re automating a system for players, you should reconsider how that system works. The “hunt rebels “ button existing, while nice, points pretty strongly to that.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

karmicknight posted:

imagine such mismanagement that your own army units would rebel.

“Be harmonious with each other, enrich the soldiers, and spurn all other men.”

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Beamed posted:

One thing Johan was right about is that if you’re automating a system for players, you should reconsider how that system works. The “hunt rebels “ button existing, while nice, points pretty strongly to that.

I think this depends, and is more complicated than this. Basically does the automation in question serve a purpose in freeing the player to consider more interesting choices; improve the feeling of satisfaction they get from the game and so on. The micro in the army management system requiring automation doesn't obviously point to "Well eliminate having armies" as one possible extreme in a game set in a time period with its serious armed conflicts. Basically if the automation gave the player more broad ways of interacting with the system, like giving general orders which the system attempted to carry out and the player had the means to shape what the result ends up being that would be a good use of automation. Because the player on some level can understand the decision making within that system; can set about improving how it acts; and decide its direction while not having to do any tedious micro.

I feel like Vicky is a game where a broader version of Hoi4's system might actually work really well and would suit the time period as the time period in which gunboats and smaller forces are sent places far from the capital.

But yeah it really shouldn't be a regular occurrence to send your armies to deal with a constant insurgency throughout your country and in V2 there's no gradient between good and bad; its just suddenly there's a rebellion until there isn't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the problem is small rebellions that on their own aren’t a threat should absolutely be a thing. It should just cascade to bigger problems if not dealt with.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Crushing a rebellion militarily should come with the trade off of removing some pops (killed by the state) and royally pissing off related pops.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

“Be harmonious with each other, enrich the soldiers, and spurn all other men.”

:hai:

Soldiers paychecks never bounced, admin and education budgets and building things be damned.

VanSandman posted:

Crushing a rebellion militarily should come with the trade off of removing some pops (killed by the state) and royally pissing off related pops.

That is how it works in previous games, yeah.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the problem is small rebellions that on their own aren’t a threat should absolutely be a thing. It should just cascade to bigger problems if not dealt with.

I'm not opposed but it should be handled differently and shouldn't be basically the first and basically only thing that happens. Basically a sort of minigame to handle "movements" which can break out into smaller rebellions but it shouldn't be the current system where its random chance based purely on militancy.

Like I can imagine an insurrection that's constant and low intensity easily happening in colonial possessions but its also not necessarily fun to have to move troops around and fight battles they/the rebels have no hope in winning.

Right now its like facing the Tet Offensive once every five to 10 years.

Perhaps something not quite a province occupation but something with a little more teeth than "Criminal Syndicate"; where the "insurgency" has like a fort/base in the country side somewhere and you can move a regiment to clear it out; and you don't know its there immediately but need to be informed of it via its tertiary effects or through your information/intelligence networks. So you can around troops to scout for it and once you find them can clear them out and find out if it was just a weapons cache, a rallying point, an HQ etc with corresponding effects on the insurgency.

At least this way if you forget to keep an eye on it for a while it just helps progress the next "phase" to be sooner but doesn't mean oops suddenly half your country is occupied by rebels while your armies stood around and did nothing!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Modeling rebellions as dudes with guns on the map having pitched battles with the professional army is just a terrible way to model all but the biggest of them. Having the army stomp a 2-regiment stack of irregulars should never even come up, the small-scale stuff should happen off the map and in the pop screen instead. Maybe apply a constant low-level attrition to both the military units in the state and militant rebel pops or something to represent the low-level simmer of the local rebels knocking over the occasional checkpoint but I don't think the little 3D dudes should start shooting at each other in full battles on the map until it's a full civil war level conflict.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crazycryodude posted:

Modeling rebellions as dudes with guns on the map having pitched battles with the professional army is just a terrible way to model all but the biggest of them. Having the army stomp a 2-regiment stack of irregulars should never even come up, the small-scale stuff should happen off the map and in the pop screen instead. Maybe apply a constant low-level attrition to both the military units in the state and militant rebel pops or something to represent the low-level simmer of the local rebels knocking over the occasional checkpoint but I don't think the little 3D dudes should start shooting at each other in full battles on the map until it's a full civil war level conflict.

Yeah that's the thing. It's gotten better but ultimately Paradox has yet to make fun small rebellions. They need to exist but I never ever want to click back and forth on a stack to smash them, and clicking "hunt rebels" isn't more fun, it's just an automation for a bad system. Make the small rebellions something I notice or care about in an interesting way. Have actual decisions to make.

Like in EU4 when you get a peasant rebellion.

Options:
Put stack in the highest dev province with militancy and wait
Do the same then provoke
Do the same but set the stack to pacify rebels
Concede and now every single province gets massive autonomy and you lose 1/3 of your income

None of these are fun or interesting. It's tedium and frustration only, and the obvious correct choice is just pop the (whole country's?) peasant revolt asap and kill them all in a pitched battle to go back to doing whatever you were doing.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 13, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You missed the option of:

Wait until the correct moment and concede to become a peasant republic. :toot:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Crazycryodude posted:

There needs to be some kind of growing penalty for ignoring unrest, and a disincentive to just grant concessions. Otherwise we’ll all just grant whatever concessions are needed to make it less of a headache.

For the Vicky2 era my impression is that uprisings were overwhelmingly failures that were successfully repressed with violence, usually by quite small numbers of people relative to the numbers of uprisers. I’m not sure why this was the case - presumably connected with modern communications allowing better force concentration as well as using accurate artillery as a force multiplier?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beefeater1980 posted:

There needs to be some kind of growing penalty for ignoring unrest, and a disincentive to just grant concessions. Otherwise we’ll all just grant whatever concessions are needed to make it less of a headache.

For the Vicky2 era my impression is that uprisings were overwhelmingly failures that were successfully repressed with violence, usually by quite small numbers of people relative to the numbers of uprisers. I’m not sure why this was the case - presumably connected with modern communications allowing better force concentration as well as using accurate artillery as a force multiplier?
And disciplined well equipped professional soldiers vs untrained rabble.

edit: untrained poorly equipped rabble that do not necessarily want to die for their cause/were hoping there wouldnt be an actual fight

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hungary had a good shot at getting what they wanted in 1848 before Russian intervention and the Mexican Revolution actually succeeded. The Italians also had a very good chance in '48 before the SP king messed it up but that's part revolution/part invasion and idk how the heck PDS could model that. Also there's Russia ofc.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

VanSandman posted:

I remember one Vicky 2 game where AI NGF was in constant death spiral regarding rebelions, and constant fighting and killing depopulated the country massively. I can't remember with how many pops the province of Cologne starts with, but it ended with ~500 people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yikes! posted:

Hungary had a good shot at getting what they wanted in 1848 before Russian intervention and the Mexican Revolution actually succeeded. The Italians also had a very good chance in '48 before the SP king messed it up but that's part revolution/part invasion and idk how the heck PDS could model that. Also there's Russia ofc.

Hungary and Italy 48 were examples of revolutionaries seizing the apparatus of state and directing it to their goals though. Vicky traditionally has had revolutionaries doing anything require them to raise divisions and do pitched battles.

The February 48 revolution was the closest to the style than the previous Vickies did. And there, like... It's not exactly well-depicted by having a massive stack of troops, so strong that all of the FRA tag can't muster enough to fight it, spawn in Paris.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, the counter argument to that is that you are describing the literal population of paris taking up arms against the state.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It sort of works in Vicky 2 to some extent, where the rebels win by taking the capital, so they can rush that down and overthrow the government before you can really even react with the army (accurately representing at least a couple of revolutions to some extent), but it's still real jank even in that regard since you can just leave like a 30 stack on the capital to counter.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like in EU4 when you get a peasant rebellion.

Options:
Put stack in the highest dev province with militancy and wait
Do the same then provoke
Do the same but set the stack to pacify rebels
Concede and now every single province gets massive autonomy and you lose 1/3 of your income

Look at this fool, shunning EU4 rebel strats...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hungary and Italy 48 were examples of revolutionaries seizing the apparatus of state and directing it to their goals though. Vicky traditionally has had revolutionaries doing anything require them to raise divisions and do pitched battles.

The February 48 revolution was the closest to the style than the previous Vickies did. And there, like... It's not exactly well-depicted by having a massive stack of troops, so strong that all of the FRA tag can't muster enough to fight it, spawn in Paris.

It would be interesting I think to model these as giving free military access to other reactionary states to put down the rebellion and either you can declare war or accept the prestige loss. Avoids some cheekyness in multiplayer of people letting themselves get taken over.

Another way of reflecting that with basically current mechanics is something similar to CK civil war mechanics but you can't declare war on the rebelling "state" to take land; only to put them down. Because letting them exist makes your own rebels worse which I think is what needs to be the key incentive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

karmicknight posted:

I mean, the counter argument to that is that you are describing the literal population of paris taking up arms against the state.

Yes. I'd say it wasn't a Vicky-style battle but we need the military and rebellion dev diaries to actually say that.

It certainly wasn't a big field battle.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gort posted:

As a result you could get into situations that should be complete failure states (government forces outnumbered two to one by rebels, for example) and win crushing victories just because the enemy army composition was terrible.

... The government having an intact actual army that is outnumbered 2 to 1 (or even 10 to 1) by disorganized, badly equipped rebels is in no way a failure state. The expected outcome in that is a crushing government victory, as was shown multiple times during the time period in question.

I know this site likes to roleplay revolution with the whole red-and-black headscarf throwing molotov coctails aesthetic every now and then, but it doesn't loving work. An untrained mob with rocks and small arms cannot even seriously threaten any actual army, now or in the 19th century. Revolutions only work when they either have foreign support or manage to subvert a substantial portion of the armed forces.

(oops this was already discussed, should have reloaded the page)

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 14, 2021

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

karmicknight posted:

That's... a rather simplified description of the Paris Commune, considering a main reason they were so unprepared to meet the military was that the leadership of the Commune was actually trying very hard to avoid a civil war (and had convinced themselves the French government wouldn't be willing to suppress Paris through armed force, which, well, they got pretty wrong).

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Rebel Demands:
  • Truth
  • Justice
  • Freedom
  • Construct a hard-boiled egg factory

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Quorum posted:

Rebel Demands:
  • Truth
  • Justice
  • Freedom
  • Construct a hard-boiled egg factory
Reasonably priced love!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Agreed, in reality if a town rebels they'll march through the streets and burn stuff, but as soon as they hear an army is on the way to crush them they'll melt away back into the population and the army will be forced to spend ages in the town trying to root out the rebels while taking attrition from sabotage. I think it's fine to show the rebels as an army on the map, but they should have the ability to disband into a province debuff when an overwhelming army approaches.

Then if you ignore them, multiple rebellions could group up and cause some actual problems, but you don't have this weird situation where a bunch of unhappy farmers get shot dead by the army and now the town is happy again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wiz posted:

That's... a rather simplified description of the Paris Commune, considering a main reason they were so unprepared to meet the military was that the leadership of the Commune was actually trying very hard to avoid a civil war (and had convinced themselves the French government wouldn't be willing to suppress Paris through armed force, which, well, they got pretty wrong).

48 wasn't the commune m'wiz

48 is when we deposed the liberal monarch for a republic, then immediately elected the heir of the previous royalimperial :agesilaus: house and installed him as a liberal monarch.

Then he bulldozed Paris to make sure people couldn't keep doing that (prime DLC fodder please let me do this)

e: Louis-Philippe gesturing to a barricade of detritus in a nasty alley "They keep doing this! Why do they keep doing this??"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 14, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

48 is when we deposed the liberal monarch for a republic, then immediately elected the heir of the previous royalimperial :agesilaus: house and installed him as a liberal monarch.

France, what the gently caress we need to talk.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Then he bulldozed Paris to make sure people couldn't keep doing that (prime DLC fodder please let me do this)

e: Louis-Philippe gesturing to a barricade of detritus in a nasty alley "They keep doing this! Why do they keep doing this??"

Oh right, reading comprehension what is it even

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:lmao: That's like having a socialist revolution in the USA after Trump and then electing Obama again.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

:lmao: That's like having a socialist revolution in the USA after Trump and then electing Obama again.

July monarchy-era politics has a lot of similarities with modern day US politics tbh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DrSunshine posted:

To be fair the people who rioted and the people who gave the throne to the guy where not the same people.

In fact the second group specifically stayed out of that stuff

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lol I love that France had so many revolutions during this timeframe that no one can keep them straight

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair the people who rioted and the people who gave the throne to the guy where not the same people.

In fact the second group specifically stayed out of that stuff

I think you're describing the 1830 rev when they're talking about 1848

feller fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 14, 2021

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

yikes! posted:

lol I love that France had so many revolutions during this timeframe that no one can keep them straight

Revolutions are like potato chips, you can't have just one

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
just like how the rural french electorate were potatoes in a sack.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1415310115842842629

It looks like more advanced production methods lead to more demand for various commodities, which seems like it'll encourage economic integration. Hope supply isn't all or nothing like in Vicky II though, where factories go offline entirely due to world market shenanigans.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

yikes! posted:

I think you're describing the 1830 rev when they're talking about 1848

The 1830 Revolution in France also took place over about half a week too. I have no idea how you'd gamify that.
It was also only possible due to the importance of Paris to France. In a less centralized state, that might have been a full civil war instead of a mostly bloodless (by french standards) coup.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah like the 1830 rebellion being a massive stack of rebels that spawns in Paris and then the army rolls straight 1s would kinda suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I certainly hope my pops using plastic instead of glass properly feminizes them with estrogenics.