Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Literally A Person posted:

Also, when in need smoke some weed. Not tool related but still good advice.

Done and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Using a 90° with a hammer drill strikes me (don't, please) as very unsound fundamentals. Like you're begging for something bad to happen to the shaft.

I mean, you're not wrong but it literally says it's for impact drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1303-Drive90PLUS-Impact-Attachment/dp/B01HZWTLUK

I will try the dugga-duggas when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks all

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

just make sure you say dugga 4 times before 'choo choo'

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I mean, you're not wrong but it literally says it's for impact drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1303-Drive90PLUS-Impact-Attachment/dp/B01HZWTLUK

I will try the dugga-duggas when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks all

Trip report: Dugga-dugga did not work. Pulling out the collar and using a wrench did not work. Tappy tapping with a hammer did not work (including trying to seat it deeper first to see if that loosened it.)

Gonna bring it to Lowes and be That Angry Guy™.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Trip report: Dugga-dugga did not work. Pulling out the collar and using a wrench did not work. Tappy tapping with a hammer did not work (including trying to seat it deeper first to see if that loosened it.)

Gonna bring it to Lowes and be That Angry Guy™.

Buy another impact driver and put it on the other end of the angle thingy. I don’t think it’ll help but it might be an instructive experience for a natural philosopher.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Vindolanda posted:

Buy another impact driver and put it on the other end of the angle thingy. I don’t think it’ll help but it might be an instructive experience for a natural philosopher.
This. This is the answer.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Vindolanda posted:

Two drill enter, one drill leave!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

:emptyquote:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

good thread title rh

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just stick another right angle adapter on it to straighten it out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vindolanda posted:

The French rifle trap is jumping species.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Vindolanda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIhMvhjglQI

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do y’all have any advice on good electric earth augers?

I’m about to need to do a bunch of digging in my yard to amend some clay soil and gently caress doing all of that poo poo by hand.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

Do y’all have any advice on good electric earth augers?

I’m about to need to do a bunch of digging in my yard to amend some clay soil and gently caress doing all of that poo poo by hand.

I think "Tiller" is the tool you're looking for, augers are typically for making big holes for posts in my experience. I don't have any electric recommendations, but stay the hell away from the Mantis gas ones. I have one and even though I got it cheap it eats money for parts every season. This year it need another new carburetor after the loving air filter fell off mid-use and it sucked up a ton of dust, and last year it needed a new transmission and clutch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I think "Tiller" is the tool you're looking for, augers are typically for making big holes for posts in my experience. I don't have any electric recommendations, but stay the hell away from the Mantis gas ones. I have one and even though I got it cheap it eats money for parts every season. This year it need another new carburetor after the loving air filter fell off mid-use and it sucked up a ton of dust, and last year it needed a new transmission and clutch.

yeah if you're looking for a hole auger go to toorentalplace in area and rent a 2 man for the day, pay some guy in beer and dig all your holes.. then return it and have it be someone else's problem.

if you're looking for a garden and to till the soil you can probably get away with something electric I'm going to give the Roybi 40v one a shot next year for my garden but it's not super Clay-ey. If it's hard as gently caress you may want to just rent a gas one of the day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Brushless-Random-Orbital-Sander-with-Bag-Battery-Included/1001062236

$99 for a Dewalt 20v brushless 5" orbital sander with 2AH battery and charger. I've got this sander and I like it a lot. It is, unsurprisingly, a much better tool than the $40 corded Black and Decker it replaced for me.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

canyoneer posted:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Brushless-Random-Orbital-Sander-with-Bag-Battery-Included/1001062236

$99 for a Dewalt 20v brushless 5" orbital sander with 2AH battery and charger. I've got this sander and I like it a lot. It is, unsurprisingly, a much better tool than the $40 corded Black and Decker it replaced for me.

That's a great deal, thanks for posting!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

canyoneer posted:

Thanks a million! I passed on a similar deal last November and I've been waiting for it to come back. If you don't sign in to your mylowes account it charges you 75$ for shipping though, unless you select store pickup which is what I did.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I have a new toy

… and so do my cats

:3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I barely use my Mantis gas tiller so I can't comment on the long term reliability or the eating parts piece.
But man, when it's working it does good work.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I have the Ryobi weed whacker with a swappable head, picked up the tiller attachment last summer. Works great and the only thing that gave it any trouble were some viney roots that it would wrap up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

I have the Ryobi weed whacker with a swappable head, picked up the tiller attachment last summer. Works great and the only thing that gave it any trouble were some viney roots that it would wrap up.

40v? I'm eyeing this.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I also have the ryobi 40v trimmer and the tiller attachment. Works well enough for sorting out my garden beds at the beginning of the season. Does not care for digging into my clay-heavy soil

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yah mostly I'll need it to till garden next year and maybe till the front as well.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I bought a Dremel multi max like 5 months ago from Costco and the cord is having an issue and only sending intermittent power to the tool. I'm going to return it to Costco, but I still want an oscillating tool, but Costco doesn't have more in stock.

Anyone have experience with the Ryobi oscillating tool? My drill, impact driver, and circular saw are all Ryobi, so I already have a bunch of batteries and chargers for that tool ecosystem.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What stand is that miter saw on? I need a good rolling stand for mine

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I bought a Dremel multi max like 5 months ago from Costco and the cord is having an issue and only sending intermittent power to the tool. I'm going to return it to Costco, but I still want an oscillating tool, but Costco doesn't have more in stock.

Anyone have experience with the Ryobi oscillating tool? My drill, impact driver, and circular saw are all Ryobi, so I already have a bunch of batteries and chargers for that tool ecosystem.

The ryobi is fine, it vibrates. In my experience the real performance factor is the blades for an oscillating tool, cheap ones are garbage and the use time is measure in seconds.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The brushless one's attachment system is different than the prior versions. I bought a cheap mulitpack of blades that were supposed to work on it and i couldn't get them clamped, even using the included adapters. Basically you can only use blades that have a full ring for the attachment piece, not the ones with an opening in the back. Otherwise it has worked fine for me so far.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Danhenge posted:

The brushless one's attachment system is different than the prior versions. I bought a cheap mulitpack of blades that were supposed to work on it and i couldn't get them clamped, even using the included adapters. Basically you can only use blades that have a full ring for the attachment piece, not the ones with an opening in the back. Otherwise it has worked fine for me so far.

I was about to ask about the brushless vs brushed. Is the brushless worth the price premium?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was about to ask about the brushless vs brushed. Is the brushless worth the price premium?

I've never owned an oscillating tool before so that's difficult to say. It's the one my local home depot had in stock when I needed to buy one.

edit: Other than the slightly greater difficulty in buying cheap blade replacements, it's worked fine for me. I cut through some old rusty screws with a metal blade I bought in-store without too much difficulty.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 16, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

In very broad strokes the brushless will give you better battery life and be a bit nicer to operate (for most brands it will have an infinitely variable trigger rather than "steps", although some brushed models may have infinite variability). So it comes down to how much you're going to use it and for how long.

The thing with the Dremels as far as I can tell is that you want one that is "tool-less" accessory changing, which costs more than the base models. They also all appear to be corded, so forget the battery savings.

Also, I can't fin any model that doesn't take standard split quick change bits, even if you need a tool to put them on the non-quick ring, so it's not really clear what Danhenge ran into.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

Also, I can't fin any model that doesn't take standard split quick change bits, even if you need a tool to put them on the non-quick ring, so it's not really clear what Danhenge ran into.

I just went and grabbed mine to take photo/video evidence and then upon closer inspection realized there's a little slidey/pivot hinge on the locking mechanism that I have not been using properly so all my quick change blades will actually work just fine. Glad I got lazy and never hassled the Amazon seller about returning this box of cheap blades!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the info - lol Al home depot has the brushless and brushed in stock, but I think I'll pick up the brushless Ryobi. I liked the Dremel but with a dead cord and no way to replace it at the same price I got it for I'll just return it. (Thanks Costco)

Dremel wanted me to ship it in (at my own expense) for warranty work, and that's just not worth it to me for an $80 tool or whatever I paid for it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you're certain the problem is just the cord external to the unit, that sounds like a pretty straightforward DIY repair.

But yeah, if Costco will just give you the money back and the replacement isn't more expensive... :effort:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Trabant posted:

If you're certain the problem is just the cord external to the unit, that sounds like a pretty straightforward DIY repair.

But yeah, if Costco will just give you the money back and the replacement isn't more expensive... :effort:

Honestly having the cordless will be nice instead of running extension cords to my work areas, which are sometimes up ladders.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

KKKLIP ART posted:

What stand is that miter saw on? I need a good rolling stand for mine

This one, a Ridgid AC9946 universal mobile stand, recommended by goons in this very thread. WHICH, by the way, is on sale for $40 off at Home Depot right now!

Wanna know what else is on sale at Home Depot? THE loving SAW ITSELF. The DeWalt DWS780 I spent so many weeks pining for and just finally bought last week is now on sale for a cool hundo off! I shopped around like a motherfucker when I got mine and trust me, that is a pretty fuckin good deal for any of y’all who are looking to get a new miter saw right about now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 16, 2021

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

I. M. Gei posted:

This one, a Ridgid AC9946 universal mobile stand, recommended by goons in this very thread. WHICH, by the way, is on sale for $40 off at Home Depot right now!

Wanna know what else is on sale at Home Depot? THE loving SAW ITSELF. The DeWalt DWS780 I spent so many weeks pining for and just finally bought last week is now on sale for a cool hundo off! I shopped around like a motherfucker when I got mine and trust me, that is a pretty fuckin good deal for any of y’all who are looking to get a new miter saw right about now.

Well gently caress.

I told myself I'd buy it if it ever went on sale again.

My old Delta Shopmaster makes an interesting wavy pattern on the ends of boards so I havent used it in like a year and just sled anything small enough or circular saw anything big. Would be nice to have a miter saw I could trust again.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, uh, why are "tool chests" so expensive? Is there some secret to storing my growing collection of hand tools that isn't "throw them in a box and hope you can ever find them again"? Otherwise I'm looking at Harbor Freight's tool chests because they seem way cheaper than other offerings, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend to store wrenches and pliers and screwdrivers.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah, get that one.

FISHMANPET posted:

Otherwise I'm looking at Harbor Freight's tool chests

Yeah, get that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

So, uh, why are "tool chests" so expensive? Is there some secret to storing my growing collection of hand tools that isn't "throw them in a box and hope you can ever find them again"? Otherwise I'm looking at Harbor Freight's tool chests because they seem way cheaper than other offerings, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend to store wrenches and pliers and screwdrivers.

I'd guess it's all the little finishes that make it expensive. Drawer slides, latches, wheels, etc. Either that or the people who are using hand tools to earn a living really, really, need the drawer level of organization and are willing to pay a lot more for that.

My current system is just a bunch of those $5-10 tool bags from Harbor Freight. One is full of wrenches/pliers, another is full of screwdrivers, another has drill/driver and bits, one is sockets and ratchets, etc. It's been pretty good so far.