Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my girls absolutely love waking up daddy, it is one of their all-time favorite things

if it's my turn to sleep in, or even if they notice me falling asleep on the couch, they won't hesitate to climb all over me, with the 1.5 year old shrieking her head off with glee at the command of "let's go wake up daddy"

my wife gets really annoyed by it because she finds it difficult to get to sleep in the day whereas I'm like 'oh I'm lying on the floor, ok might as well stay here a while' and I'm out

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

my dad seemed a little too gleeful with the “your turn now!!!” stuff
what kind of person does this.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my girls absolutely love waking up daddy, it is one of their all-time favorite things

if it's my turn to sleep in, or even if they notice me falling asleep on the couch, they won't hesitate to climb all over me, with the 1.5 year old shrieking her head off with glee at the command of "let's go wake up daddy"
haha sleep deprivation is hilarious haha.

My judgement's probably tainted from my horrible sleep quality but if a kid did that I'd probably spend the next night at a friend.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also you can sleep during the day and it's fine! I have fallen asleep on the floor a few times and that hasn't happened for a long time and not without huge quantities of alcohol
The number of times I've fallen asleep at kids' bedtime lmao

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
One time I was sleepign liek a log but my son said teh words "poopy finger" and i became extremely awake

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol that’s a dangerous kind of wet willy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

:whitewater:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

echinopsis posted:

nooooooope

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/36mOHpNusAw

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Stymie confirmed for Hoveralt

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
stymie digs ditches while hp hovercraft designs them. coincidence?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

stymie: yospos is full of bodybuilders looking to get swole

hp: somebody looking for a swale?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
going back to office. i got so used to being around the lil troublemakers i miss them now. they are a handful (especially the girl).

:rip: wife.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Workaday Wizard posted:

going back to office. i got so used to being around the lil troublemakers i miss them now. they are a handful (especially the girl).

:rip: wife.

holy loving poo poo my boss’s boss just called me and told “we have enough people to meet the quota. stay home until they recall 100% of the employees”

you rock dude

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it’s honestly amazing how much poo poo can be in an infants body and how loudly they expel it

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

kitten emergency posted:

it’s honestly amazing how much poo poo can be in an infants body and how loudly they expel it

I'm still amused/horrified when the baby's skin color changes as they do it too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

kitten emergency posted:

learn how to fit/tighten a disposable diaper correctly, and your poopy diaper blowout fate will be lessened somewhat

however it is not completely unavoidable

and whatever you do, do not feed your child anything made from the blueberry. it is powerfully cursed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

after you get proficient at diaper application, when it happens it's usually a sign you need to size up

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

learn how to fit/tighten a disposable diaper correctly, and your poopy diaper blowout fate will be lessened somewhat

and whatever you do, do not feed your child anything made from the blueberry. it is powerfully cursed

lil sandwiches loves blueberry, just chows down on little sliced blueberries all day. face covered like she was munching on a fresh kill. and oranges, though not as dramatic

she also currently loves this quinoa and kale mix with garlic that comes frozen in a bag and her poops are SOLID

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

then they try to run away.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

they didn’t mention the “babies will just inconsolably cry for like four loving hours at night” thing in the brochure

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

kitten emergency posted:

they didn’t mention the “babies will just inconsolably cry for like four loving hours at night” thing in the brochure

yeah...

i don't know how some people say just let the baby cry and ignore it. personally i can't handle that (literally against my animal instinct) and also i don't want to give my babies mental illnesses or something.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

colic?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Workaday Wizard posted:

yeah...

i don't know how some people say just let the baby cry and ignore it. personally i can't handle that (literally against my animal instinct) and also i don't want to give my babies mental illnesses or something.

yeah my mum kept trying to get us to do that 😤

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nm wrong thread

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 13, 2021

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Letting a baby cry for an hour without going in to console them is bad advice until you haven't slept for 6 days, then it's a good emergency ripcord to forgive yourself a nap before driving somewhere.

Really all parenting advice is dependent on which phase of sleep deprivation you're in, the good parenting being front loaded.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
in my experience when baby is crying too much it's either a bed issue (too hot, too cold, too stuffy, too smelly), constipation, diaper rash, or ENT issues. though most of the time they were feeling too hot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
a friend of wound up a single dad when his kid was still an infant, but he was also an avid musician and didn't intend to give that up, so every night he played loud rock music in the baby's room (safe levels he's not crazy).

anyhow in a couple weeks the baby could pretty much sleep through anything, and they've grown up to be a super cool kid, so there's all kinds of ways to do it i guess.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bossy posted:

Really all parenting advice is dependent on which phase of sleep deprivation you're in, the good parenting being front loaded.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My son used to scream at night and we kept fussing over him

One night when we were both of the verge of a nervous breakdown we decided to try just letting him go. We set the timer at 30 mins.

He screamed for about 15, then stopped. He was asleep.

We did this for a week - now that little man sleeps like an angel, and he's healthy, happy and rested every day.

I don't know how kids work but everyone said "oh no don't let them cry it out its so bad for them" and it's like - gently caress you. You don't know how they work either.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Our babies have hated the standard swaddles and will constantly wake up if their arms are restricted. They do much better in these:

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Dream-Preferred-Position-Self-Soothing/dp/B07T48MBDB

Also we had to move the new one away from an A/C register because she was getting too cold. Otherwise it can be challenging to make sure they get enough boob for the first month, sometimes they are lazy.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

abigserve posted:

and it's like - gently caress you. You don't know how they work either.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

a friend of wound up a single dad when his kid was still an infant, but he was also an avid musician and didn't intend to give that up, so every night he played loud rock music in the baby's room (safe levels he's not crazy).

anyhow in a couple weeks the baby could pretty much sleep through anything, and they've grown up to be a super cool kid, so there's all kinds of ways to do it i guess.

we used a white noise machine to do that because of apartment living

also taped a note over the doorbell saying to never ever touch it

but yeah highly recommend doing sleep training as early as possible - you can't do it before like 4-6 months old btw

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My wife isn't due til January but is there anything I should be reading about sleep training and/or how to survive the sleep deprivation period?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
sleep training is just making them learn to self-soothe overnight, you basically do this by letting them cry it out, it usually takes less than a week - both of ours only needed a single night (which was like an hour of crying, use headphones it's heartrending)

you can only do it when they're old enough to no longer need feedings in the middle of the night. before that sorry, you're gonna be waking up a lot, get good at low-light diaper changing

also read about sleep regressions, that's a thing too

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i spent the past four nights pointing out to my wife how this was probably colic, we went to the pediatrician today and he was like “oh yeah it’s 100% colic”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

colic aka “idk babies just sometimes be like that tho”