Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Vegetable posted:

Anyone tried Dark Deity? It's a Fire Emblem knockoff -- turn-based grid tactics. As a big Fire Emblem fan (at least the GBA games) Dark Deity's gameplay videos looked a bit dull.

I'm near the end and it's acceptable enough. It is barely recommendable but that's probably better than most other FE clone

Edit: barely recommendable as in it's just good enough to recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Anyone tried Dark Deity? It's a Fire Emblem knockoff -- turn-based grid tactics. As a big Fire Emblem fan (at least the GBA games) Dark Deity's gameplay videos looked a bit dull.

It has been discussed a bit in the fire emblem thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&pagenumber=1466#lastpost

Consensus seems to be that it's not really good.
If you just want more fire emblem GBA style games, your best bet is probably romhacks of these games. There are tons of really well developed ones, with way better gameplay/story/features than Dark Deity. Order of the Crimsion Arm is my personal favorite.
If you want a recent FE-like game that's a total new spin on the old formula, I've found "Banner of the Maid" to be much better than Dark Deity.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
IGN and Relic are announcing a game today. it's totally Company of Heroes 3.

https://m.twitch.tv/relicentertainment
https://who.is/whois/companyofheroes3.com
https://www.companyofheroes.com

Italians and the Afrika Corps.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aw, I was holding out a vague hope that it'd be the Pacific War but the Mediterranean is cool too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Company of Heroes 3 was announced, and even though the game won't be out for over a year, they're doing a three-week pre-alpha...if you can actually get on their site.
https://account.community.companyofheroes.com

The pre-alpha and the footage they showed is of the Italian campaign, and they also teased a North Africa one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrfhmDtGPrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCEdiYMs7Bw

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
that's looking cool!
https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1415010653903937542?s=20

Even seems like there's some sort of Total War like global campaign map going on. Relic has only made a single lovely RTS all these years, so I'm really excited for this one!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh man, I'm unreasonably excited for a new campaign map to paint.

I was almost afraid that they'd go all in with focusing on multiplayer.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Also, if, like me, you don't already have CoH 2, it's now $1 on Steam.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

never played a company of honor downloading the alpha, better get to play as honorable nazis just fighting for their people unaware of any war crimes happening

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deakul posted:

Aw, I was holding out a vague hope that it'd be the Pacific War but the Mediterranean is cool too.

sino-japanese war/pac would have been rad but im definitely just thanking my lucky stars to get italy and africa instead of normandy and ostfront for the billionth time

e; looks like the pre-alpha is up for dl

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 13, 2021

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Mordja posted:

Company of Heroes 3 was announced, and even though the game won't be out for over a year, they're doing a three-week pre-alpha...if you can actually get on their site.
https://account.community.companyofheroes.com

The pre-alpha and the footage they showed is of the Italian campaign, and they also teased a North Africa one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrfhmDtGPrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCEdiYMs7Bw

CoH Bros....assemble!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
i had a couple of real fun nights with the cohbros a decade ago, A+ would recommend

e: oh poo poo this pre-alpha also contains the turn based campaign, this feels really like total war

e2: they also added a real time pause in the battle maps where you can give orders, like total war

look at this

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 13, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't get past the first turn, it gets stuck on saving.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

never played a company of honor downloading the alpha, better get to play as honorable nazis just fighting for their people unaware of any war crimes happening

i thought you said you hadn't played company of heroes before, you seem to understand the story well.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deakul posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-13-company-of-heroes-3-is-coming-and-it-feels-like-the-original-but-bigger

They were going to do Pacific! But a handful of gamers who play MP just didn't want "non-historical" strong Japanese forces. WTAF?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That's dumb considering COH multiplayer generally ends up with late-war American Tank and German Wunderwaffe spam, not exactly historically accurate.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't see what would be compelling gameplay wise of assaulting fixed fortifications over and over again with a Pacific campaign.

USMC objective: Take the island
Japan objective: kill a lot of Marines and die without really moving from your position.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yes because literally every battle in the Pacific was like that.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Love Stole the Day posted:

Steam Sale Trip Report:

Dawn of War 2 is good and fun.

Dawn of War 3 is good and fun.

Loria is also good and fun though not as much as the above ones.

That's my post thanks for reading.

I fired up Dawn of War 2 for the first time in like 11 years and discovered that the game wouldn't start at all, forcing you to switch to a new desktop so you can kill the process. Turns out that it doesn't understand what to do with modern multi-core processors and so you have to use Ryzen Master to enable Legacy Compatibility Mode, which after a system reboot disables 50% of your CPU cores (so 16 cores and 32 logical processors becomes 8 cores and 16 logical processors). No other Essence Engine game has this issue (other than the just-released Company of Heroes 3 pre-alpha, they just have odd times handling multi-monitor setups). I'm guessing that this only affects AMD CPUs and not Intel, otherwise this would be something that might have gotten a patch at this point. I've never had to do this for any game before. Makes you wonder how much will run acceptably once Windows 11 comes around, since while a lot of attention is paid to getting very old and very new games to run on current hardware, there's a gap by which games that don't mentally register as "old games" are likely to just not work. Maybe virtual machines for gaming is the way of the future.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 14, 2021

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

davecrazy posted:

I don't see what would be compelling gameplay wise of assaulting fixed fortifications over and over again with a Pacific campaign.

USMC objective: Take the island
Japan objective: kill a lot of Marines and die without really moving from your position.

Burma campaign

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

FastestGunAlive posted:

Burma campaign

Japanese objective: Take the village without losing all your men to malaria.
British/Indian/Chinese objective: Hold the village without losing all your men to malaria.

edit: Crocodile objective: eat everyone

Invader Zym fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 14, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Malaria DLC lets you play as the mosquitoes

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Listening to some of the press out there today, and a developer mentioned that there are still half a million people playing CoH games monthly. Which is...more than I expected by a lot.

Sounds like this one is off to a decently promising start, too.

Edit: also, drat Sega Europe’s current strategy/management lineup looks quite good.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 14, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anno posted:

Listening to some of the press out there today, and a developer mentioned that there are still half a million people playing CoH games monthly. Which is...more than I expected by a lot.

This doesn't surprise me quite as much as it should, what with the rts genre largely abandoned, and an entire underserved market of historical fans who sure as gently caress aren't going to move to mobas

Does this mean I get a new Rise of Legends? :unsmith:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I still play a lot of CoH2, the community is active and patches are regular. They just re-worked a lot of the commanders.

CoH 2 PvP was rough at launch but is a pretty darn good game now.

CoH 1 still has a bit of a user base and you can find games reasonably quickly.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

V for Vegas posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-13-company-of-heroes-3-is-coming-and-it-feels-like-the-original-but-bigger

They were going to do Pacific! But a handful of gamers who play MP just didn't want "non-historical" strong Japanese forces. WTAF?

Thats dumb. Imperial Japan could have been fun to play in a COH style game. I'm thinking resilient infantry, and weak but fast moving vehicles.
Abilities for units should focus around speed boosts, stealth, camouflage and entrenchment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GyverMac posted:

Thats dumb. Imperial Japan could have been fun to play in a COH style game. I'm thinking resilient infantry, and weak but fast moving vehicles.
Abilities for units should focus around speed boosts, stealth, camouflage and entrenchment.

Men of War gives the Japanese a bunch of rare-use and prototype stuff and nobody complained about that, weird to complain about them doing the same thing in COH.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Imperial Japan representation peaked in Red Alert 3.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXxZBM8lPqY

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Italians should get mecha-tengus

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There's a lot of untapped potential in a campaign on the China front in WW2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kazzah posted:

The Italians should get mecha-tengus

No lie, I'd been hoping against hope that this new COH game would be a Weird War 2 setting.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are there any strategy games in that setting? that sounds cool

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

If you mean whatever a weird war two is no clue. But for Chinese front there’s Hearts of Iron

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

RTS? Iron Harvest has steampunk kinda mechs but it's a crap game.
Assault Squad 2 has a billion mods and some do add China.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never played any CoH games, but traditionally speaking I enjoy RTSs. Are they still worth playing? They seem to be super on sale.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never played any CoH games, but traditionally speaking I enjoy RTSs. Are they still worth playing? They seem to be super on sale.

I think they're maybe best RTS games ever (Dawn of War is right there too). I don't play many RTS games anymore but I picked up COH3 alpha and it's a blast, feels like COH1 again which I sunk tons of time into back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They fixed the problem I was having with COH3 (my CPU's getting long in the tooth...) and I was able to play more. It's early and janky, but the campaign mechanics actually seem really cool! There's some good interplay between the turn based and the RTS side of things (even if I'm a little unclear on a couple mechanics still) and it's faster and simpler than something like Total War, which is good for this type of game. I know Relic said they're planning a multiplayer test later, curious to see exactly how it'll work and what they'll pull from the campaign.