Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cr0y posted:

Anyone adding any kind of bearish hedge prior to Powell speaking? Idk if it's a solid strategy to hold calls and puts for the same security but everyone seems to skittish at literally any news.

Hmm

Same strike is a straddle, different strikes is a strangle. You are expecting a big move in an unknown direction with this. If you expect no movement you sell one of these (and possibly cover by buying longs further out of the money which would make it an Iron Condor which sounds badass). Make sure you understand your risks and while learning make sure you have a capped loss and are willing to pay the max loss fully as the price of learning the strategy.

Buying a strangle works but (Implied Volatility) IV crush can kill you even if you are right, which means you need an even bigger movement.

You can also buy a put that is short dated and a call that is long dated for a calendar. Or wait I think a calendar is either calls or puts not mixed, I'm not sure what that is... a calendar strangle?

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

pixaal posted:

You can also buy a put that is short dated and a call that is long dated for a calendar. Or wait I think a calendar is either calls or puts not mixed, I'm not sure what that is... a calendar strangle?

That's basically what I thinking, I have another month on my SPY calls and don't wanna dump them but want to take a small hedge to ride out whatever turbulence today might bring, so was thinking short dte puts.

It's all gambling money, just trying to learn more about hedging. Thanks for the input!

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Uranium 235 posted:

I don't think there's anything public comment from the FTC about it, but they have previously gone after stock trading "gurus" for deceptive representations... like claiming they can teach anyone to beat the market in any market conditions, crazy claims about profitability and chance of success, etc. Seemed like the Warrior Trading guy tried to be careful about that kind of stuff, based on what I saw from him, but I used to get spammed with his ads/videos on youtube and with that much content and marketing out there, chances are high that he slipped up.

An FTC investigates has got to be about marketing, right? They're not the SEC, I doubt they have the authority to go after him for securities fraud or anything like that

I can see a lot of crossover as the marketing and the trading are kind of the same thing.

"Look at this video of me trading and making easy money, (but really I'm just doing pump and dumps using my customers, and you should pay me for the privilege of being the sucker)."

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AAPL is surging, I’m not sure why though. I should have loaded up more when it was ~$125

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

cirus posted:

VERB is currently trading at 2.50 and just announced their sales platform is going to be integrated into Outlook.

Thanks for the tip! Picked some up yesterday in a small position and it's rockin today!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Speaking of oat milk:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/oatly-accused-of-overstating-revenue-and-greenwashing-by-activist-short-spruce-point-.html

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I was here for graingate

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Not Oatly!!!! Nooooooo.

Also Delta announced a return to profitability and beat earnings expectations so naturally the stock is in a freefall.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My 0dte 436 SPY puts I bought as a cheap hedge are already +200% and floating the dip perfectly. Neat.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Bear market today. I'm buying a little PLTR and TTCF.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Did Powell just say something? I was up quite a bit and then

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Red posted:

Did Powell just say something? I was up quite a bit and then

Nothing that should have been unexpected: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/powell-says-the-fed-is-still-a-ways-off-from-altering-policy-expects-inflation-to-moderate.html

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Sell that poo poo before the 1:10 reverse split Thursday night

Just did, thanks. Gonna buy me a combo meal with the proceeds

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Red posted:

What stock(s) got you there?

AMC, Oatly, and Build a Bear, mostly Build a Bear.

And the NDRA swing.

Cheers!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cacafuego posted:

AAPL is surging, I’m not sure why though. I should have loaded up more when it was ~$125

Outside the next iOS release this year and an iPad Mini update... I'm a little confused too, there isn't new news? :shrug:

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Not a Children posted:

Just did, thanks. Gonna buy me a combo meal with the proceeds

I also got rid of my aht shares today and am keeping my puts since they expire next month. I think with the reverse split going through, I may actually make money off of aht despite the 50% loss on the shares. The puts are at 150% right now.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 14, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My 0dte SPY insurance puts stopped out at +125% ROI. Back to your regularly scheduled cocaine market.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cacafuego posted:

AAPL loves its pre-earnings runups

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
$GOON is not doing the $GOON thing.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Untagged posted:

brutal

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
$GOON taking a beating this last week :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Hold on, let me buy some so y'all can get more extremely dirt cheap.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Poor RYCEY. No one even bothers to mention it's further slide into worthlessness anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anyone see the colossal AMZN call sweeps that hit the flow just now? Something like 3 million dollars worth of short-expiration AMZN calls got placed within the same 5 minute window.

Is Softbank back in the mix?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Fireside Nut posted:

Thanks for the tip! Picked some up yesterday in a small position and it's rockin today!

They announced this morning that they're integrating into Market America for direct product purchasing from influencer video streams. Investor conference at 230 today. Pricing will probably be discussed. My average is really low so I don't worry about dips. This will probably be a good swing candidate, long if revenues start coming in with these partnerships.

E: misremembered, the partner is Market America

cirus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2021

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

cirus posted:

They announced this morning that they're integrating into Shop.com for direct product purchasing from influencer video streams. Investor conference at 230 today. Pricing will probably be discussed. My average is really low so I don't worry about dips. This will probably be a good swing candidate, long if revenues start coming in with these partnerships.

I got in at 2.42 and out at 2.70. Agree that swings look pretty tempting in the near term.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

XL is under $7, which seems worth a gamble. I literally just saw them advertise on LinkedIn.

Grem posted:

AMC, Oatly, and Build a Bear, mostly Build a Bear.

And the NDRA swing.

Cheers!

Good for you!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Untagged posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=659

See most recent entry.

Jpow stream is funny and sad tbh. How many times does a man have to say "I don't comment on fiscal policy" before a room of representatives gets the hint?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna bribe the teleprompter operator to add "buy NDRA" to the next JPow speech

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Gonna bribe the teleprompter operator to add "buy NDRA" to the next JPow speech

Gotta code it so you don't find the SEC living in your butthole.

Buy $GOON

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Buying the dip, went from 5 to 10 shares of this fine stock. Soon I will own the company.

Debating selling IIPR soon as I feel like it'll cycle off a $215-220 ATH and go back down then repeat. I don't have much of a reason for this other than history and the fact there's no federal or state weed legislation on the horizon that I anticipate will change their short term fortunes.

edit: Google says the S&P 500 is up 18.25% on the year and my fidelity account is telling me 15.60% rate of return (1-year), so I'm not gonna calculate poo poo but lol just need a banger to hit so I can pretend I'm good at this :v:

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 14, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
$GAYMF 🚀

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Considering how reddit usually reacts to these short activists this might be the next meme.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TGT keeps going up.

Link: https://investorplace.com/2021/07/tgt-stock-is-the-best-retail-play-for-long-term-investors/

quote:

It’s no secret anymore that Target (NYSE:TGT), under Brian Cornell, is America’s best-run retailer. That’s why I recommend TGT stock to anyone who will listen.

Since Cornell became CEO in 2014, in the wake of a credit card breach that forced out his predecessor, Target shares are up 300%. Over the last two years, the stock has risen even more than Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN).

Yet Target stock is not overvalued. Numbers have kept pace. Sales for the April quarter were up 23% from a year earlier. Net income came to $4.20 per share, up from 57 cents as the pandemic hit. Target stock started July at about $242 per share, a market capitalization of $119.6 billion, but a price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio of just 19.7.

The Cornell Legend
Cornell has also built a “coaching tree” akin to Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid, as his former executives have been tapped to run retailers like Lowe’s (NYSE:LOW) and Bed, Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY).

The strategy has been deceptively simple. Instead of selling name brands at off-price, Cornell has created store brands with equal or better quality. The latest billion-dollar brand is All in Motion, an activewear name competing with yoga gear from Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU). It’s one of 10 brands at the company sporting sales of over $1 billion per year. Four are over the $2 billion mark, including Cat & Jack, a kids’ wear line.

For years I wondered about Target’s small food sections. Cornell invested in them, and during the pandemic Target became an “essential” merchant, while rivals were shuttered.

Cornell also built a strong e-commerce effort before the pandemic made that necessary. In 2017, Target bought Grand Junction, software for handling retail logistics and delivery, and Shipt, which offered same-day delivery service. Cornell’s latest innovation is to turn shuttered intown stores into regional distribution centers. This will let Target make a profit on free same-day delivery for orders over $75.

1. I wish I'd invested more than a few hundred bucks a few months ago.
2. I wish I'd put this in a tax-free account. Oh well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

D-Pad posted:

Considering how reddit usually reacts to these short activists this might be the next meme.

gently caress spruce point. His danimer short report was completely fabricated. He's a miserable, disgusting little man.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oatley is inferior in taste and quality to Califa Farms Barista Blend, according to my wife; she also prefers Minor Figures as a second choice. Therefore, rot in hell, Oatley, you suck.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nice article:
https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/why-are-treasury-yields-falling
excerpt:

quote:

Recent investor behavior in response to falling yields could pose risks. Perhaps misinterpreting the temporary drivers of low rates, investors have recently pumped up valuations of secular growth stocks, especially in technology sectors that account for a growing percentage of major indexes like the S&P 500. As a result, information-technology companies have seen their price-to-sales ratios rise to levels last seen at the peak of the 1999 tech bubble, despite facing headwinds ranging from higher input costs and a weaker dollar to higher taxes and stricter regulations.

I hope they're right, but they might be wrong. And they might be early in the warning. And being early is, sadly, often the same as being wrong.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I tried oat milk in my cold brew yesterday. Not impressed, and I'm a big fan of oats

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
$GOON to the moon? more like goon in a well 😡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
$GOONies