Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Come True has some really cool imagery in it, but talk about style over substance. I am usually an absolute mark for this kind of movie and I struggled to even get through it. Basically nothing outside of the dream sequences is worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Kazzah posted:

It's what they call the southwestern dialects of french sign language

This is………an exceptional goof

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't get why doing a really cool and unique thing and getting to be a multimillionaire for it is so much worse than killing a cool and unique thing to become a somewhat larger multimillionaire. Like. Your quality of life is not going to change either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvM3Is2RuMQ

(Apologies for the bad quality.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have to imagine owning a successful movie studio, even one that is small when compared to the mega giants, still means you're a multimillionaire. I don't get why doing a really cool and unique thing and getting to be a multimillionaire for it is so much worse than killing a cool and unique thing to become a somewhat larger multimillionaire. Like. Your quality of life is not going to change either way.

Wealth is a mental illness. It is inherently irrational.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Come True has some really cool imagery in it, but talk about style over substance. I am usually an absolute mark for this kind of movie and I struggled to even get through it. Basically nothing outside of the dream sequences is worth watching.

Agreed, absolutely garbage ending too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How christian media site reviews fears street

I agree the people who piss and moan about films like these should etch it from their brains with industrial strength hydrochloric acid, Bob.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have to imagine owning a successful movie studio, even one that is small when compared to the mega giants, still means you're a multimillionaire. I don't get why doing a really cool and unique thing and getting to be a multimillionaire for it is so much worse than killing a cool and unique thing to become a somewhat larger multimillionaire. Like. Your quality of life is not going to change either way.

All the dudes that own A24 are a bunch of already wealthy Venture Capitalists. A24 was always an investment and business first. Someone is probably doing the math right now whether or not a single buyout would be worth still investing in films. Maybe someone will make a movie about A24 🤔

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Apple getting A24 unfortunately felt inevitable once they started partnering for films (The Elephant Queen, Boys State, On the Rocks all already released; Sharper, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Bride, The Sky is Everywhere all still to come)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read any of Grady Hendrix's novels, but his latest, The Final Girl Support Group, has an audiobook narrated by Adrienne King. I thought that was a pretty cool choice, and its her first (solo) audiobook she's narrated.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

your old av was cooler

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kvlt! is the Kramer of the thread. You send him in to blurt out the stuff that needs to be said but nobody wants to say it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gresh posted:

The consolidations will continue. Its a very healthy society when 5-6 companies own everything! Eventually they'll all merg into one mega giant under the Tyrell name.
Who do you like to win the first Rollerball tournament, ENERGY Corporation, FOOD Corporation, or DISNEY Corporation?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The weirdest thing about Sleepaway Camp to me is the old camp owner who gets excited about going in a date with his teenage employee right before they’re both killed, because he’s otherwise portrayed as a normal, kind guy. It seems like an artifact of an earlier version of the story before they cast an old man for that part.

A couple pages back but...what? He spends half the movie yelling that all the deaths must be accidents so the camp doesn't close, and the other half trying to beat the poo poo out of Ricky.

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

Kvlt! posted:

your old av was cooler

Mods! Bring back the sexy wolfman!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

hunky boy summer

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't read any of Grady Hendrix's novels, but his latest, The Final Girl Support Group, has an audiobook narrated by Adrienne King. I thought that was a pretty cool choice, and its her first (solo) audiobook she's narrated.
It also makes a lot of sense as the inciting incident is a version of her character being murdered although there is an interesting twist that the character is actually Black in real life and was white-washed in the film adaptations. There is also a neat twist that the Pamela-analogue was full of poo poo and there never was a Jason, but he does have a nephew who is pissed about losing the film rights.

Honestly the set-up is a bit sweaty and a bit of a heavy-handed as a metoo allegory, but I'm liking it so far.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 14, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A couple pages back but...what? He spends half the movie yelling that all the deaths must be accidents so the camp doesn't close, and the other half trying to beat the poo poo out of Ricky.

He's definitely a piece of poo poo, and IMO the director should've done everything in his power to get Tom Atkins in that role.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Kvlt! is the Kramer of the thread. You send him in to blurt out the stuff that needs to be said but nobody wants to say it.

Orozco the Kramer?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Needs More Goop posted:

Mods! Bring back the sexy wolfman!

It needed to be bluer.

:wink:

Scumfuck Princess
Jun 15, 2021

:swoon:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I was looking for old Canadian horror movies and came across this, in which giant rats are terrorizing Toronto. The giant rats are portrayed by small dogs in costumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVT31kxL7yw

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

This morning I read the graphic novel Shyamalan's OLD is based on and I really hope the movie is better.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Its a Shyamalan movie so it wont be

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading/listening to Dracula, and also reading Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu.

For those not familiar, Carmilla is a novella that predates Dracula by 26 years, and is also one of the earliest examples of the lesbian vampire, and a major influence on Bram Stoker's novel. It's had quite a few adaptations, including The Blood Spattered Bride, which is how I first came aware of the novella, but most lesbian vampire films owe something to Carmilla, directly or indirectly.

Dracula's fine. I've got the unabridged audiobook where each character's letters/diaries has a different narrator, including Alan Cumming, Tim Curry as Van Helsing, Simon Vance, Susan Duerden, Katherine Kellgren and others. The audiobook is great, I'm just always surprised how long Dracula is. I've been reading and listening to it for forever, and I've got 2/3rds of the book left.

So far I prefer Carmilla.

The Dracula audiobook I'm listening to is free (and exclusive) on Audible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Franchescanado posted:

I've been reading/listening to Dracula, and also reading Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu.

For those not familiar, Carmilla is a novella that predates Dracula by 26 years, and is also one of the earliest examples of the lesbian vampire, and a major influence on Bram Stoker's novel. It's had quite a few adaptations, including The Blood Spattered Bride, which is how I first came aware of the novella, but most lesbian vampire films owe something to Carmilla, directly or indirectly.

Dracula's fine. I've got the unabridged audiobook where each character's letters/diaries has a different narrator, including Alan Cumming, Tim Curry as Van Helsing, Simon Vance, Susan Duerden, Katherine Kellgren and others. The audiobook is great, I'm just always surprised how long Dracula is. I've been reading and listening to it for forever, and I've got 2/3rds of the book left.

So far I prefer Carmilla.

The Dracula audiobook I'm listening to is free (and exclusive) on Audible.

Camilla owns bones.

For other lesser known pre-Dracula vampire fiction I recommend Family of the Vourdalak by Aleksey Tolstoy (relation),written in 1839 but not actually published until 1884, if you haven't read it.

It's by far the most faithful to the original vampire folklore of any vampire fiction from that era and a drat good yarn.

The Boris Karloff segment from Baba's Black Sabbath is a pretty faithful adaptation of it

Polidori's The Vampyre is decent but a bit barebones and mostly interesting for being the first and based on Lord Byron being a fuckboy.

I wanna get into Varney the Vampire. I've only read a few snippets and it's fun pulpy schlock but there's so many chapters that even the authors got confused and messed up the numbering a few times

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I knew about Carmilla when I watched the Castlevainia series but had no idea that Varney was an actual 19th century vampire story. Very cool.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Camilla owns bones.

For other lesser known pre-Dracula vampire fiction I recommend Family of the Vourdalak by Aleksey Tolstoy (relation),written in 1839 but not actually published until 1884, if you haven't read it.

It's by far the most faithful to the original vampire folklore of any vampire fiction from that era and a drat good yarn.

The Boris Karloff segment from Baba's Black Sabbath is a pretty faithful adaptation of it

Polidori's The Vampyre is decent but a bit barebones and mostly interesting for being the first and based on Lord Byron being a fuckboy.

I wanna get into Varney the Vampire. I've only read a few snippets and it's fun pulpy schlock but there's so many chapters that even the authors got confused and messed up the numbering a few times

I'll keep all these in mind. I've got Polidori's The Vampyre to read, for sure, but I'm getting really burned out on vampire fiction. Family of the Vourdalak is a pretty bad-rear end name, though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stink Billyums posted:

I was looking for old Canadian horror movies and came across this, in which giant rats are terrorizing Toronto. The giant rats are portrayed by small dogs in costumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVT31kxL7yw

If you want Canadian Horror featuring giant rats you want Food of the Gods

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

Perhaps not the ideal comparison, given the things Michael Richards blurted out during a stand-up routine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You say blurted out like he said it accidentally.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Even the trailers for OLD make it look loving stupid. It’s going to be another Happening.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's about a beach that makes you old

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like there has to be another gear that the movie(Old) goes into at some point because otherwise it seems like we already saw everything in the trailer and there's not enough there to fill 90+ minutes. Like, ok so the people go to this island and they start rapidly aging.....then what?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which could actually be done well. There are plenty of great movies where if you just look at the concept you’d expect garbage. But even the trailers, which are supposed to make you want to see the move, are loving dire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it looks fun

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like there has to be another gear that the movie(Old) goes into at some point because otherwise it seems like we already saw everything in the trailer and there's not enough there to fill 90+ minutes. Like, ok so the people go to this island and they start rapidly aging.....then what?

Maybe this Shyamalan guy will do some kind of twist ending? Who knows?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CelticPredator posted:

I think it looks fun

Come on, we went to different schools together.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

Maybe this Shyamalan guy will do some kind of twist ending? Who knows?

There has to be a twist of course, but it needs to be like halfway through the movie where things go off in a totally different direction than what you see in the trailer, it can't just be a gotcha! twist in the last 2 minutes of the movie. And maybe that's exactly what happens, that's totally possible.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Retro Futurist posted:

If you want Canadian Horror featuring giant rats you want Food of the Gods

Oh I remember that one being in regular rotation on CityTV's Late Great Movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmBqDAakEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Camilla owns bones.

Varney is pretty impenetrable. I tried to read it once but i found it to be fairly thankless, it’s just very poorly written and so, so, long. I have a pretty big appetite for lovely pulps too.