Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Punch McLightning posted:

HM: Mox vs. Karl Anderson, 7/14 Dynamite

very fun

Nth. Hot crowd made the match IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Brian Cage vs. Ricky Starks, Dynamite 7/14

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Absolutely

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Christian Cage vs. Matt Hardy, Dynamite 7/14

This is my favorite match on the show so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Mox vs. Karl Anderson - AEW Dynamite 7/14

HM: Brian Cage (C) vs. Ricky Starks for the FTW Championship - AEW Dynamite 7/14

Agreed to both, plus:

HM: Matt Hardy vs. Christian Cage - AEW Dynamite 7/14

Both these guys threw everything at each other and the match was shockingly good, and I say this as a fan of both!

Edit: And...

HM: Darby Allin vs. All Ego Ethan Page in a Coffin Match - AEW Dynamite 7/14

Darby is an insane person, and Ethan Page has completely turned me around on his bland first few weeks in the company.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Darby Allin vs. All Ego Ethan Page in a Coffin Match - AEW Dynamite 7/14

Darby is an insane person, and Ethan Page has completely turned me around on his bland first few weeks in the company.

nth

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MOTYC: Darby Allin vs. All Ego Ethan Page in a Coffin Match - AEW Dynamite 7/14

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
HM: the rest of AEW Dynamite 7/14

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Dynamite, 7/14

HM: Jon Moxley vs. Karl Anderson, IWGP US title
HM: Brian Cage vs. Ricky Starks, FTW title
HM: Christian Cage vs. Matt Hardy
HM: Penelope Ford vs. Yuka Sakazaki
MOTYC: Darby Allin vs. Ethan Page

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AEW Dynamite 7/14
HM: Jon Moxley (c) vs Karl Anderson - IWGP US Championship
HM: Brian Cage (c) vs Ricky Starks - FTW Championship
HM: Matt Hardy vs Christian Cage
HM: Wheeler Yuta vs Sammy Guevara
HM: Yuka Sakazaki vs Penelope Ford
MOTYC: Darby Allin vs Ethan Page - Coffin Match

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

HMs For Dynamite 14/7

Mox vs Karl Anderson
Christian vs Hardy
Page vs Darby

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’m going full MOTYC for Jon Moxley vs Karl Anderson. It was a great performance of suckering the crowd into a match and keeping them in throughout. Just watch how they get the crowd back into things after the. outside brawling of Kingston and Gallows. Two absolute masters. The near falls were great, and MGKA hasn’t looked better in a singles match in North America.

HM - Brian Cage vs Ricky Starks. Crowd was absolutely molten for this one too.

HM - Matt Hardy vs Christian. They’re older but so familiar with each other. I doubt they could put on a bad match.

HM - Darby Allin vs Ethan Page. Really good match here, if there was a bit more time and a bit more selling it would have been a MOTYC.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 7/14

Only not doing the Mox / Anderson match because I didn’t catch the whole thing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HM: Mox vs. Karl Anderson, 7/14 Dynamite

very fun

nth

Ringo Roadagain posted:

nth agreed i thought the in-crowd stuff put it over

MOTYC: Brian Cage vs. Ricky Starks, Dynamite 7/14

i thought this was the best of the night tbh, i couldnt believe the audience reaction

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 7/14

Seconded

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

AEW Dynamite July 14th

Yuka / Penelope was better than I was expecting but not quite there. Everything else was awesome.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Giving these a post-Dynamite bump because they are one away from MOTYC and they bang

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto (c) vs. Mio Momono for the Sendai Girls World Championship - Sendai Girls Senjo Chronicle (7/11)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV0Qm660RGY

Also bumping this because it really is the best match I've seen all year and I want everyone to see it

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 7/14

NTH. Nothing on that show missed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Brian Cage vs. Ricky Starks, AEW Fyter Fest, 14/07
HM: Christian Cage vs. Matt Hardy, AEW Fyter Fest, 14/07
HM: Sammy Guevara vs. Wheeler Yuta, AEW Fyter Fest, 14/07
MOTYC: Darby Allin vs. Ethan Page, AEW Fyter Fest, 14/07

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 7/14

Nthing this. Great show from top to bottom and probably the best coffin/casket match I've ever seen.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So we now have two different coffin matches on the Matches of The year list. That's kind of fun.

(The other is Chris Brookes vs Shunma Katsumata in a barbed wire coffin match in DDT and is essential viewing if you've ever wanted to see The Joker swan dive into a coffin filled with barbed wire)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT Summer Vacation Tour July 15th
MOTYC
Chris Brookes (c) vs Shinya Aoki (c) - DDT Extreme & Iron Man Heavymetalweight Championships - No DQ, No Submission Match
- What a stipulation, everything is legal unless it's life threatening. Except submissions, all submisisons are illegal (like ref Matsui was even giving them the five count for armringers at the beginning :laffo:). Watching these two guys fumble about and still put on a compelling match without the vast majority of their offence was absolutely fascinating. I've said it before and i'll say it again, DDT at it's best is far beyond wrestling, it's art.

HM
Eruption (Saki Akai, Yukio Sakaguchi and Kazusada Higuchi) vs DisasterBox (HARASHIMA and Naomi Yoshimura) and Keigo Nakamura
- Eruption continue to be the goddamn coolest, Harashima and Yoshimura still hit like trucks, and poor Keigo Nakamura got the piss beaten out of him, as is his wont

Junretsu (Jun Akiyama, Makoto Oishi and Yusuke Okada) vs 37KAMIINA (Konosuke Takeshita, MAO and Shunma Katsumata)
- Those Sauna boys are loving superstars, considering the oldest guy is only 28 if they can stay healthy they could carry the company on their back for the next decade plus. Uncle Jun was pretty quiet here, but Oishi and particularly Okada were working real hard to make up for it.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Chihiro Hashimoto (c) vs. Mio Momono for the Sendai Girls World Championship - Sendai Girls Senjo Chronicle (7/11)

gently caress yeah nth, this was awesome. Big Hash rules

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

HM - Darby Allin vs Ethan Page. Really good match here, if there was a bit more time and a bit more selling it would have been a MOTYC.

nth. If I was watching on the FITE feed, I'd have gone full MOTYC but its pretty jarring when Mia the meatlady is gettin thristy for insurance while Darby's gettin stretched and yeeted.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

SEAdLINNNG ~ Nanae Takahashi 25th Anniversary ☆ ARIGATOU ~ July 11th
MOTYC
Asuka (c) vs Ryo Mizunami
- This was exhausting to watch, it only ran a bit under 20 minutes but it felt like such a physical struggle between the two. It continues to boggle the mind that Asuka is this good this young

Nth this. Haven't watched the second one posted yet but I'll absolutely be doing so later.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

coconono posted:

nth. If I was watching on the FITE feed, I'd have gone full MOTYC but its pretty jarring when Mia the meatlady is gettin thristy for insurance while Darby's gettin stretched and yeeted.

I was watching on FITE, and I'm going full MOTYC for Allin vs Page coffin match. I actually didn't realize it was a commercial break until I heard Excalibur say "we're back" and I thought to myself that a terrible moment for a commercial.

Star making performance for Page. I mean, obviously for Allin too but he was already a star.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
9th July
Dragon Gate Hopeful Gate
KAI vs YAMATO

Rewatched and want to upgrade my original HM to a MOTYC. Great blow-off, excellent use of the stip, and unit shenanigans were awesome. Kagetora's sprinting tope into the rest of R.E.D. to give Yamato time to emphatically and finally put down KAI was the stuff of pure wrestling kino.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
20th June
DDT King of DDT Round 2
Kazusada Higuchi vs Tetsuya Endo

HM
20th June
DDT King of DDT Round 2
Konosuke Takeshita vs MAO

HM
20th June
DDT King of DDT Round 2
HARASHIMA vs Yuji Hino

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
18th June
Freedoms New Generation Is Here 2021
Double Hellboard Death Match
Kamui vs Masashi Takeda

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 7/14

Nth. A mini-PPV on free TV, you love to see it.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This match is my match of the year as things stand. It follows on from the GAEAISM main event on 6/13 which was my match of the year when it happened. A lot of wrestlers will ignore the size differential between themselves and their opponents in order to get all their cool poo poo in making the match look like something out a video game which can be cool, but in this match these two really played up that Chihiro dwarfs Mio and it made Chihiro look a beast and Mio look incredible for dealing with her onslaught.

There were some truly sick bumps from Chihiro's Germans and an amazing armbar spot from Mio. Chihiro is a monster, Mio is a genius. If I gave star ratings, I'd give 5.

Nth, this is my new moty.

SEAdLINNNG ~ Nanae Takahashi 25th Anniversary ☆ ARIGATOU ~ July 11th
MOTYC
Asuka (c) vs Ryo Mizunami

Nth'ing this too, fuckin great

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This is an entirely subjective and personal thing, and probably based on the fact that I've only heavily got back into wrestling since about 2017, but it really does feel like the amount of easily accessible genuinely great wrestling is expanding at an absurd rate.

Like, for a long time for US / UK fans there were two easily accessible wrestling products in the US: WWE and TNA, and while both of those were capable of from time to time putting on great shows, the week to week quality of the product was between average and bad. You could hunt down Ring Of Honor, but that was several steps beyond what most casual-to-moderate fans would do.

But since the rise of easily accessible online content it feels like people's exposure to genuinely great wrestling from around the world has really spiked, and with the advent of an American arena wrestling promotion that puts on consistently good shows, this has gone up even further. I don't know about anyone else but I've genuinely gone from hunting round for any good wrestling content to not knowing how to watch all the good wrestling content I have available.

This thread is I think evidence of this. Obviously this isn't in any way representative of the broader wrestling community but there really is a staggering amount of good wrestling that gets posted in here, and a staggering amount not just in quantity but in breadth. Five different companies have five or more match of the year candidates. Fifteen different companies (disregarding cyberfight and the Hana show) have put on at least one match that people thought was good enough to say it was a match of the year. Every time I log in I see a reference to an awesome sounding match I haven't watched yet.

I don't know if it's possible to say wrestling is better than it's ever been, but it's easier to watch the best wrestling than it's ever been.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

Matches of the Year:
06/26 | Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Masa Kitamiya in a Hair vs. Hair Cage Match - NOAH Cage War

This already has the required amount of votes, but I saw that some hero had uploaded the entire show to Youtube a few weeks ago, so I hope some people that wouldn't have otherwise take the opportunity to see what NOAH has to offer. Story leading up to the match is fairly simple, these two have been teaming on and off for nearly a decade and are the current tag team champions. Kitamiya (the beefy one) has left their stable claiming he has always hated Nakajima (the handsome one with the curly hair) but neither guy wants to let go of their half of the tag belts so they are having a hair vs hair match in a cage to settle the grudge. It's a no crowd show because NOAH is very weird about what shows get crowds but it really adds to the atmosphere that it's just two guys getting all their buds (the guys in red at ringside) and sorting poo poo out behind closed doors. Also they have a drone in the studio which allows for some real cool aerial shots.

This match solves nothing outside of one guy losing their hair. Both guys are back to beating the poo poo out of each other the very next day and it's glorious

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This match is my match of the year as things stand. It follows on from the GAEAISM main event on 6/13 which was my match of the year when it happened. A lot of wrestlers will ignore the size differential between themselves and their opponents in order to get all their cool poo poo in making the match look like something out a video game which can be cool, but in this match these two really played up that Chihiro dwarfs Mio and it made Chihiro look a beast and Mio look incredible for dealing with her onslaught.

There were some truly sick bumps from Chihiro's Germans and an amazing armbar spot from Mio. Chihiro is a monster, Mio is a genius. If I gave star ratings, I'd give 5.

Nth. Really enjoyed this match

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ROH Best in the World 7/11
HM: Rey Horus vs Demonic Flamita (Pre-show)
HM: Jay Lethal vs Brodie King
HM: Mike Bennett vs Jonathan Gresham
HM: Rush (c) vs Bandido - ROH Championship

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

& nth this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
26th June
NOAH Cage War 2021
Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki & Naomichi Marufuji)

HM
26th June
NOAH Cage War 2021
Junior Heavyweight Delayed Entry Battle Royal

This is loving hilarious & cool, aka NOAH_jr_HWs.txt. 10 men listed as entering, 15 actually take part. Huge dive trains in a match with over the top rope eliminations (they stuck to topes tho, except for a quebrada from Yoshioka & a meteora from the apron by YO-HEY). Quite a lot of fighting on the floor. And at the end it comes down to 2 former RATELS members.

NOAH Junior division often walks a line between entertaining bullshit & being a parody of itself, made even more frustrating because most of the individual parts are very good. This is firmly on the right side of that line.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
26th June
NOAH Cage War 2021
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Masa Kitamiya

This was rad. They battered each other.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

HM: Fred Yehi and Wheeler Yuta vs Yuji Nagata and Ren Narita. New Japan Strong Tag Team Turbulence July 16th

Four talented guys just having a superb match. Yuta is on the rocketship ride of his career right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lamuella posted:

I don't know if it's possible to say wrestling is better than it's ever been, but it's easier to watch the best wrestling than it's ever been.

Agreed, there is SO much great wrestling nowadays, and so much of it is so readily accessible. Like, I have seen barely anything from All Japan, Dragon Gate or Stardom just because they're not as easily accessible and there is so much else out there that is - New Japan, TJPW, NOAH, DDT etc - that I don't feel the impetus to do the extra work because I barely have enough time to watch as it is. AEW is of course knocking it out of the park, but there are plenty of American indies regularly putting on great matches too. We've reached the point where "only" being a good show with good wrestling isn't actually enough to stand out because there are so many great shows with great wrestling seemingly on all the time.

It's a really, really good problem to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW Summer Struggle July 17th
HM
Rocky Romero vs El Phantasmo
- These guys had great chemistry two years ago, they've got great chemistry now. Ran a bit long for my taste and the ending didn't go over great, but the vast majority of it was very entertaining