Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

All I want is a background gag where Stormfront is digitally replaced with Christopher Plummer on a poster for Dawn of the Seven. Don't shoot anything and leave his presence in the "girls get it done" to the imagination.

:same: but Tig Notaro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah that would be better

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

There's a lot to dislike about Stormfront but the line that really got to me was "Don't worry, he'll still have a mom."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FireWorksWell posted:

There's a lot to dislike about Stormfront but the line that really got to me was "Don't worry, he'll still have a mom."

Pfft, like she'd ever be more than his weird aunt.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Pfft, like she'd ever be more than his weird aunt.

Well yeah, everyone has that one racist relative.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The cyborg version of her later on is going to have evolved her Karen haircut to Zorg from fifth element and her teeth will be slightly stained with red wine at all times.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

When I picture cyber Stormfront, I think of Archer with Ray and his black limb transplants, but I like yours too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

FireWorksWell posted:

When I picture cyber Stormfront, I think of Archer with Ray and his black limb transplants, but I like yours too.

hahaha sorry it's all we had in storage. white ones are back-ordered.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

If you don't think this is one of the best shows on TV right now then what the gently caress are you watching?

Gaius Marius posted:

No kidding, last year was dire

Betty, Generation, Chad, Resident Alien, Kevin Can gently caress Himself, Evil, P Valley, The Good Fight, Avenue 5, Succession, Creamerie, Black Monday, Hacks, The Underground Railroad, The Nevers, Dave, Devs, The Owl House, Search Party, It's A Sin, Girls5Eva, PEN15, Mythic Quest, Servant, For All Mankind, Infinity Train, I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson, Solar Opposites, Brave New World, Better Call Saul, Legends Of Tomorrow, I May Destroy You, We Are Who We Are, My Brilliant Friend, Better Things, The Great, In My Skin, Industry, Mrs. America, Better Things, Normal People, Small Axe... all of which i thought were at least as good as The Boys season 2.

Yeah, clearly the last year a half of TV sucked.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah it sucked hard, hopefully Barry saves us next year

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Betty, Generation, Chad, Resident Alien, Kevin Can gently caress Himself, Evil, P Valley, The Good Fight, Avenue 5, Succession, Creamerie, Black Monday, Hacks, The Underground Railroad, The Nevers, Dave, Devs, The Owl House, Search Party, It's A Sin, Girls5Eva, PEN15, Mythic Quest, Servant, For All Mankind, Infinity Train, I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson, Solar Opposites, Brave New World, Better Call Saul, Legends Of Tomorrow, I May Destroy You, We Are Who We Are, My Brilliant Friend, Better Things, The Great, In My Skin, Industry, Mrs. America, Better Things, Normal People, Small Axe... all of which i thought were at least as good as The Boys season 2.

I'm not getting in the middle of this argument, because I haven't watched most of this list, but just as a quick point, isn't Kevin Can gently caress Himself this year, not last year? Like, it's only 5 episodes in, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not getting in the middle of this argument, because I haven't watched most of this list, but just as a quick point, isn't Kevin Can gently caress Himself this year, not last year? Like, it's only 5 episodes in, right?

Not really meant to be an argument -- is this a colloquial thing on my part that's not translating very well? -- but I tried to clarify that I was talking about the last year an a half at the bottom of the post.

TBH I was surprised Hacks got nominated. It only aired for just over a month and finished quite recently.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I've heard of 5 of those shows...
(including The Boys)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To be clear, the drama category nominations are:

The Boys
Bridgerton
The Crown
The Handmaid’s Tale
Lovecraft Country
The Mandalorian
Pose
This Is Us

You can argue whether putting The Boys on that list makes sense and whether there were better dramas left off the list and I would agree with you on both counts, but I also think that of that list, The Boys is probably the best of those shows (with the caveat that I haven't seen Pose).

That being said, of the comedies in the list of shows you provided, I would say The Boys is still pretty high up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chairman Capone posted:

Handmaid had its best season since their first one. The Boys is easily competitive with it, and as a bonus isn't a depressing slog through a slough of depression like Handmaid.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i didn't like s2 as much because homelander's hair went straight back instead of off-center parted

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Chairman Capone posted:

The Boys
Bridgerton
The Crown
The Handmaid’s Tale
Lovecraft Country
The Mandalorian
Pose
This Is Us

You can argue whether putting The Boys on that list makes sense and whether there were better dramas left off the list and I would agree with you on both counts, but I also think that of that list, The Boys is probably the best of those shows (with the caveat that I haven't seen Pose).

That being said, of the comedies in the list of shows you provided, I would say The Boys is still pretty high up.

Lovecraft Country should win this easily tbh.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Kevin and gently caress himself lost me within the 5 minutes and I cannot understand the hype. That makes the rest of your list very suspect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Orange Devil posted:

I was extremely excited for Lovecraft Country but all the reviews made it seem like it wasn’t worth my time. Should I still give it a go?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Art is bad

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I was extremely excited for Lovecraft Country but all the reviews made it seem like it wasn’t worth my time. Should I still give it a go?

I feel it didn't quite live up to the hype story wise but it's still a really solid show with solid acting and excellent atmosphere.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I found it a bit uneven early on, but at some point it wholly embraces the pulp and gets much better. It does have one particularly lovely bit in the middle, but mostly it was solid fun.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bust Rodd posted:

In my view it was the best thing on TV in 2020.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It has great acting, especially from the two leads, and the individual episode stories were often pretty good, but the overall narrative really hamstrung the show. It was 2/3 of the way to being a pure anthology show and would have been way better if it had just gone the distance. That being said, Jurnee Smollett and Jonathan Majors deserve to win their nominations even if the show itself doesn't.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Part of me is really hoping one of the plot threads in season 3 is that Deep spotted Neumann after leaving the Church and he's utterly convinced that she's the head popper, but no one will believe him because he's The Deep.

FilthyImp posted:

Just figure kid shoots off a shotgun, some fragments of shrapnel nail Becca, then he swings it and it turns Stormfront into stumpy.

or he cuts her arm off, the hand claws into Becca's neck, kid freaks and Anakin's her before he shuts it off

I also think the cutaway adds enough ambiguity for Becca's last words to really hit. Either the kid hit her accidentally and she wants him to know he's not bad, or something else happened and she wants him to be certain he wasn't the cause of it

My take was that she was mostly done in by the ancient Nazi supervillain who's been crushing her throat for almost a minute. I didn't see where/if Becca was bleeding from but I'm almost done my rewatch. I assumed her talking to Billy about it not being Ryan's fault was because Ryan is a kid who obviously would feel like it was, and also because she felt Billy would go batshit on the kid. Although I don't think he would have gotten very far.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 14, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

My take was that she was mostly done in by the ancient Nazi supervillain who's been crushing her throat for almost a minute. I didn't see where/if Becca was bleeding from but I'm almost done my rewatch. I assumed her talking to Billy about it not being Ryan's fault was because Ryan is a kid who obviously would feel like it was, and also because she felt Billy would go batshit on the kid. Although I don't think he would have gotten very far.

She was bleeding from a cut to the neck, but she could speak and breathe (with some difficulty). I reckon it makes the most sense, given the info presented and the general rhythms of television drama, for her son to be responsible for her manslaughter.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

She was bleeding from a cut to the neck, but she could speak and breathe (with some difficulty). I reckon it makes the most sense, given the info presented and the general rhythms of television drama, for her son to be responsible for her manslaughter.

She didn't appear burnt at all, so I'm thinking that it could have been Stormfront's hand tearing at her throat from the force hitting her? I know I'm thinking thinking hard about this, in the end he is responsible however indirectly.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He's 12. He's not responsible for anything.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Orange Devil posted:

I might have to give this another shot. I watched two episodes and didn't get into it.

And I'm surprised that 'Killing Eve' isn't nominated.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Antony Starr should get the Emmy for the scene where he almost sucks his own dick

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The third season was literally one day on the wrong side of the cut off.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

So I read the comic a few years ago, and put off watching the show for far too long, binged it a couple of weeks ago and have just finished reading this ENTIRE THREAD because, well, why not?

I love the show, I was a little disappointed that they changed Hughie from Scottish to American but I guess it makes sense as even as a fellow Brit, I had a hard time following some of his dialogue in the comic. Karl Urban's Cockney accent is goddawful in Season 1 but seemed to improve for Season 2.

Antony Starr is the absolute best, as has been said many many times already. I also have a wee crush on Karen Fukuhara now.

I'm glad they didn't go with the comic's backstory for MM because.....well, because.

Looking forward to even more carnage in S3!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I might have to give this another shot. I watched two episodes and didn't get into it.

Killing Eve got good again? I couldn't make it thru the 2nd season

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I like that in S02 Denethor's cockney accent was so bad that it made Butcher's accent retroactively make sense

If he grew up in the UK but has an Australian dad then it kinda explains his own bizarre accent

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Butcher was meant to be Australian for most of S1

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mother’s Milk will probably get some weird and hosed up backstory this season, because we already have all the backstory for everyone else in the show except for him.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Mother’s Milk will probably get some weird and hosed up backstory this season, because we already have all the backstory for everyone else in the show except for him.

his comic backstory is def weird and hosed up but *tugs on collar* let's hope they change that up a little bit.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Considering The Boys don’t all have superpowers in the show it would be weird to throw that part in except in a joking one off line.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nah they should make a joke about how ridiculous it is, but leave it purely implied. The camera focuses on MM's front door as Hughie and Butcher go to get some intel behind MM's back, some weird noises happen then they both just leave going "OK, that was something I didn't need to see. Let's never speak of this again..." "Agreed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Just say something like “he breastfed until he was 5 and the nickname stuck” and then move the gently caress on, there’s no payoff there