Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

lol i have a helmet cam video of me weaving in between those very same monorail columns on my motorcycle, but its because im an rear end in a top hat not because im incompetent :downs:

Based on the screen display, and how it marks vehicles in other videos I’ve seen, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t see the motorcycle passing them toward the end of the 3/4 video either. So as another motorcyclist in Seattle…yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There was a dude in the Roman Empire called Crassus who'd show up with his private fire brigade, and while your house burned he'd negotiate with you to buy it for a fraction of its value. If you refused, he'd let it burn.

Sounds like he would've done well in modern America

Maybe he'd have an app or something

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it should be noted that the fortune he built on this business is estimated to be one of the largest in all of recorded history

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
And then he hosed with the Parthians.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
something similar happened in 19th century america, but this is really not how fire departments work in contemporary america unless you've really got no idea how american government works (which, as demonstrated, is in no way an obstacle to proposing solutions to fix american government)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Announcing my new app Firerr where if your house is on fire you can find the best* rate for home extinguishment from fire service providers in your area.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm afraid your air defense subscription has lapsed so we won't try to stop any planes bombing your house

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i want to see the power points of techbros re inventing the fire triangle and or basic chemistry.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

i want to see the power points of techbros re inventing the fire triangle and or basic chemistry.

What if we just turned lead into gold?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

If I recall, it wasn't just loving with the parthians, it was thinking that he could just walk in like he owned the place because it had worked for him so far.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Your country allows this to happen because it does not care.

This is an incredible thread title

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhazonLink posted:

We've displaced heat by having products that burn at much lower temperatures and without oxygen. And without two sides that's just a line, straight up.
Introducing subLim, the fire that always burns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah it owns that this guy who attempted to loot the Near East got what was coming to him and didn’t die in his bed at the age of eighty-eight.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it owns that this guy who attempted to loot the Near East got what was coming to him and didn’t die in his bed at the age of eighty-eight.

:imunfunny:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Here's something you all need to hear - nowhere else in the loving world does this. Not just now. I mean ever.
(Looks at British Empire.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lone Badger posted:

(Looks at British Empire.)

lol, yeah may have gone a bit far with the hyper bowls there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

lol, yeah may have gone a bit far with the hyper bowls there

The hyperbowl pinsetter has been disabled, captain Solo!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/muenzenberg_w/status/1413823558128652289

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1415340044613652482?s=20

Another startup wanting to solve crime by replacing the surveillance state with a surveillance company.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Why would anyone ever willingly turn on Google notifications (or ANY notifications) unless it's for work or they really like having their phone blowing up 24/ with poo poo nobody cares about?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Two neighborhoods south of us (we are all connected) put in a loving Flock camera system at both entrances. I don’t normally go that way, but even if that happens to be the most convenient route through there I go around.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

devmd01 posted:

Two neighborhoods south of us (we are all connected) put in a loving Flock camera system at both entrances. I don’t normally go that way, but even if that happens to be the most convenient route through there I go around.

Ha, went to their site and clicked on the video on their main page

Caption: how it stopped thefts in their HOA

Old White Guy: We had gang shootings!

What's that high pitched noise I can barely hear?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/1415699404498079745

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
The Flock system is just an LPR system with some crap analytics attached to it. It does fairly good job with basic LPR, but that's a pretty well solved problem at this point. They add on trying to recognize the state a plate belongs to and that wasn't very accurate generally being right with 1 time in 10. The vehicle recognition was pretty spotty. They claim to be able to do make and model but that tends to be wildly hit or miss. The thing that gives HOAs a boner is you can set up hotlists or whitelists. (Their terms) So it's great for the Karen who wants to make sure to harass people's friends. It's $2,000 per camera per year for the Karen package and $2,500 per camera per year for the Cop version.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yup, this is hosed up because they are basically making a dead man say what they want him to say.

Its one thing to use recordings of a man, its quite another to have machine learning spit out lines.

Anyways, can't wait for Cosmos Season 4 with AI Carl Sagan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Boomers don't have to retire if cg and ai can do the job for them!

Looking at you, Arnold and Stallone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's a shame because I would love to watch that film, but wow that is loving gross and Bourdain would come back as a zombie to stuff that rear end in a top hat entirely up his own colon if he knew.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Boomers don't have to retire if cg and ai can do the job for them!

Looking at you, Arnold and Stallone.
I've been think about writing a story about this, actors should be freaking the gently caress out because once deepfakes are good enough, there will be no need for new actors. We can just have boomer faves like 40 year old Harrison Ford and Warren Beatty starring in everything forever and paying a $250 day rate to a guy in a ping-pong ball suit to do the actual work.

Or worse, synthesized amalgams of the top ten hunks or leading ladies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tom Cruise has been averaging a movie a year for something like forty years.

Here's to another fifty, while looking like he's thirty!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shrecknet posted:

I've been think about writing a story about this, actors should be freaking the gently caress out because once deepfakes are good enough, there will be no need for new actors. We can just have boomer faves like 40 year old Harrison Ford and Warren Beatty starring in everything forever and paying a $250 day rate to a guy in a ping-pong ball suit to do the actual work.

Can’t wait to see lovely artificial “actors” starring in garbage evangelical Christian films as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Once you're a fully 3d modeled and ai voiced virtual person, you can license yourself to every budget film without even working , undercutting every up and comer while you use the marketing bullet point of your real self in aaa films.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The one upside to deepfaked voices is video games allowing me to name my character again, so I can force the NPCs to address me and each other as Moistholio and Wolf Yiffenstein.

I might have posted this before but that's because I think about it a lot.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 15, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

Once you're a fully 3d modeled and ai voiced virtual person, you can license yourself to every budget film without even working , undercutting every up and comer while you use the marketing bullet point of your real self in aaa films.

I'm genuinely curious what SAG thinks of this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm genuinely curious what SAG thinks of this.

"The virtual livestream Mister Cruise sent was still far and away better than any of the actors we had show up for a screen test." :shrug:

In theory I guess they could have a union rule limiting virtual roles to a certain number per year, but even if it's in the best interest of every working b actor in America I don't see it passing

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We have people paying for internet pogs in the form of NFTs out of some vague concept of uniqueness and authenticity, I think you're high if you believe people will want to see simulated actors on a wide scale. I see it maybe becoming a thing for cameos, but probably not for entire films.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NY recently passed a law requiring licensing from the estate for deep fakes of deceased actors who resided in NY. It was delayed a couple years because the MPA did not want it to be applied to actors who died prior to the passing of the law. California can't be far behind in passing one as well.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Shrecknet posted:

E: this was phrased extremely poorly

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 16, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PT6A posted:

I think you're high if you believe people will want to see simulated actors on a wide scale. I see it maybe becoming a thing for cameos, but probably not for entire films.
The two leads in the highest-grossing movie of all time are actors wearing ping-pong balls and having simulacra represented as them:

e: 2nd Highest Grossing too

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 15, 2021

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

pixar exists so real actors are on their way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stexils posted:

pixar exists so real actors are on their way out

Yeah but being able to replicate all their vocal abilities, that's replacing them entirely.