Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Speaking of Texas, BIG10 is making the horns down a penalty if other teams do it

what a bunch of wet diaper babies

Hahaha.

I've tried to extricate gendered insults from my daily discourse but jesus gently caress what a bunch of pussies. Nothing else works quite as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm going to start doing it and claiming it is actually Nittany Lion canine teeth.

All big cat teams should do this.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I assume that was a mistype and you meant Big12 but in any case that's pathetic

Any response from Texas other than "hell no let them do it and we will prevent them from being in the situation where they could" is unacceptable baby poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it would be funnier if it was the big ten

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

Speaking of Texas, BIG10 is making the horns down a penalty if other teams do it

what a bunch of wet diaper babies

Did Texas ask for this? Haven't really heard the school say much about it and folks have done it forever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neil Armbong posted:

Did Texas ask for this? Haven't really heard the school say much about it and folks have done it forever.

Can’t be insulting their darling, underperforming cash cow.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Neil Armbong posted:

Yes lmao this all started because the hc cried during a press conference

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

gently caress Texas

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Neil Armbong posted:

I'd imagine no one else would ask for it?

This is up there with the dumbest officiating things that keep coming up every single year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BrownThunder posted:

gently caress Texas

Reporting this post to the Big 12 Commissioner

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Can someone change the UT logo to a snowflake with horns?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

Saw a notification from The Athletic but I didn't dig into the full article. Here it is:

quote:

The Big 12 will likely penalize Texas opponents for flashing the "horns down" symbol on the field, officiating coordinator Greg Burks said on Thursday.

"If you do a horns down to a Texas player as an opponent, it's probably going to be a foul," he said when asked about the taunt.

Burks added that if a player flashes the gesture at the crowd, it "probably" would not be a foul.

"Please all of you note, I said 'probably.' We have to consider intent and consider the situation. We'll leave it to officials," Burks said.

Texas players use the "hook em" gesture to celebrate, but opponents' use of "horns down" has been a tricky call for officials. Two years ago, Burks fielded questions about the symbol and acknowledged that fans want a definitive answer on the gesture.

Now, the Big 12 is making taunting a priority for officials. Under the league's new rule language, schools' bands, audio/video or lighting systems are prohibited from creating distractions for opponents and from trying to disrupt an offense's signals.

The change comes in part from Oklahoma State's attempt to distract Texas kicker Cameron Dicker by putting yellow lines on a large video board behind the goalpost in a game last season. Dicker did not make the kick, and coach Tom Herman later said he contacted Big 12 officials about the distraction.

"Probably" is used a lot here which is lame and cowardly. Make it a penalty or don't. Because it's left to officials I'm sure it'll be consistent and make complete sense when it is and isn't penalized.

also lol at the bolded part, I hadn't heard about that

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tanner Tessman, soccer-playing godson of Dabo Swinney and almost a kicker for Clemson, just signed a deal with a Serie A club in Italy.

He made the right decision.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Probably Magic posted:

HEY NOW

In Kansas's defense, they managed to beat Rutgers during that amount of time.

being a comparably awful program’s nadir is not a point in kansas’ favor

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The yellow lines behind the goalpost thing is extremely funny but also seems like a legit complaint, the horns down thing is just stupid baby poo poo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BrownThunder posted:

gently caress Texas

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Broke: Horns down
Woke: Money sign throat slash

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Didn’t we do a whole news cycle about Horns down being penalized like two seasons ago?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Any team that's up a couple TDs on Texas should relentlessly drop HORNS DOWN BITCH and take the penalties

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

being a comparably awful program’s nadir is not a point in kansas’ favor

Kansas beat Texas, just to bring everything full circle in this thread

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BrownThunder posted:

gently caress Texas BBQ

I made your post off-season friendly.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Texas is gonna Streisand Effect this poo poo into being a nation(world?)wide phenomenon that ends up being devoid of any original context

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

LLCoolJD posted:

I made your post off-season friendly.

ah man we're like six weeks out it's barely offseason anymore

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
constantly embarrass and taunt all opponents whenever possible, this is the one true way

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Stadium starting to take shape!

https://twitter.com/AztecStadium/status/1415015776986312709?s=19

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's idiotic if Texas keeps making an issue of the horns down thing, but it sounds like what the B12 announced is just... they're gonna call it like they usually call taunting. Which is to say, overt displays directed at an opposing player are frequently flagged while more general celebrating and crowd stuff usually is not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's idiotic if Texas keeps making an issue of the horns down thing, but it sounds like what the B12 announced is just... they're gonna call it like they usually call taunting. Which is to say, overt displays directed at an opposing player are frequently flagged while more general celebrating and crowd stuff usually is not.

They're framing it as a larger movement targeting any taunting. Which also sucks and will lead to other dumb things. As long as no one gets called for flashing horns down to the crowd or vaguely (or blatantly) to the Texas sideline I'm fine with it. I...well I do not expect that will be the case.

I'm just tired of hearing about it being an issue we should care about at all in the end.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

stop horns downing and simply throat slash instead, imo

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

General Dog posted:

Yeah, buying out two years is nothing. Pitt fans speak up if I'm wrong, but unless Narduzzi has people in the admin that really love him, I see no reason why the seat shouldn't be pretty warm for him at this point. Like, if he wins his usual 7 or 8 games again maybe he's okay, but I certainly don't see why he'd be able to survive a losing season if they stumble.

he's a perfect fit for their program existing in the constant state of 5-7 to 7-5 with maybe and 8 win season once a decade. changing the coach doesn't even matter, it's just what they're always going to be now. he also the pseudo tough guy attitude yinzers like that routinely makes him look like a loving clown

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

stop horns downing and simply throat slash instead, imo

Its more embarrassing when Texas loses to a team with 300 yards worth of horns down penalties.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Maybe they should just throw a shoe instead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Roasted Donut posted:

he also the pseudo tough guy attitude yinzers like that routinely makes him look like a loving clown

If you told me a guy that looks and acts like he does, with his name, was born and raised in Blawnox or Ambridge or Monaca, I'd believe you.

New Haven? No loving way.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just do horns down not against texas! NORMALIZE HORNS DOWN!!!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

If horns down is taunting, shouldn't that go the same way for flashing the horns up?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Living in Texas every time i hear "yeah but thats in a whole other state half an hour away" I'm like that must be nice, or at least interesting

comparing what a 6-hour flight gets you from NYC to what a 6-hour flight gets you from Tokyo or Shanghai is a very different world. It's a fun way to give Non Americans context about how big our country is.

Edward Mass posted:

Tanner Tessman, soccer-playing godson of Dabo Swinney and almost a kicker for Clemson, just signed a deal with a Serie A club in Italy.

He made the right decision.

he got bought by Venezia, enjoy living in Venice before it gets completely flooded.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

If horns down is taunting, shouldn't that go the same way for flashing the horns up?

Ban the gator chomp for the same reason

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Maybe they should just throw a shoe pretend to pee like a dog instead.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ban the gator chomp for the same reason

:hmmyes:

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...

Dango Bango posted:

Well only if directed at a Longhorn player or Longhorn fan. If directed towards someone else, it ‘might’ be a penalty. That’s completely up to the refs unbiased discretion. Makes perfect sense…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be fair to Texas part of the reason this keeps coming up is that the horns is one of the only hand signs its easy to do something like that to. Oklahoma doesn't have, like, a covered wagon hand sign people can go around tipping over.

But they're also big babies about it in a way I don't really understand having lived my whole life with people doing thumbs down at me as an A&M fan