Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hawkperson posted:

idk why everyone thinks the original Renslayer is a teacher, she has an office and a pretty big one. She's a principal or a counselor

She has strong high school Vice-Principal energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Grumbles posted:

The suggestion is always that something deviating from the timeline kind of ripples out through space in its cause and effect, at which point the line crosses the threshold and a new universe is created. So I think it is supposed to be just the one universe/timeline. Otherwise its needlessly complicated for a big mainstream comic book thing. Along those lines, I don't know if it's worth using that one scene in Infinity War to try and overengineer how this all works (also dr strange is just looking into every possibility right? there's a million reasons they could pluck out of thin air for why that doesn't mean there are millions of other universes that exist alongside the sacred timeline) but also they show you the line on the screen and everything. If it was multiple but similar timelines, I'm sure they would have made that much clearer.

I don’t disagree that it’s needlessly complicated, but they don’t seem to be shying away from bugfuck craziness. There’s the timeline as shown at the end of episode six. You can see that the branches are smaller than the Sacred TimelineTM, and are even an intertwined bundle on the main path.

Edit: also just wanna say I’m enjoying all this speculation. Takes me back to the days of sitting around at the comic shop talking bonkers theories.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 15, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I adore Gugu Mbatha-Raw but I hope she gets more to do next season. Her going off somewhere and maybe the reveal of her original does seem to imply that she still has a role to play. I know the show's whole plotline was someone pulling all the strings in the background and she just plays her part in that, but her authority and naivety make her more unlikable than most of the other characters and she never really takes any interesting action on her own, either villainous or heroic (I guess the Mobius/Loki pruning is her big moment, but even that is just sort of a bureaucratic "what else can I do?").

I hope she is either revealed to be more in bed with Kang than she let on or decides to break out of the system and do her own thing. Gimme the Terminatrix, time tramp.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Where did Doc Brown get enriched plutonium to power the time machine train in Southern California in 1854?

He didn't need enriched plutonium at that point, the time circuits were being powered by the Mr Fusion device he procured in the future. As mentioned, the obstacle was physically reaching 88mph.

Edit:

plainswalker75 posted:

Mr. Fusion is able to power the time circuits using garbage, so presumably that either runs without needing external power, or he hacked together some kind of battery from 19th century parts.

Edit: I'm dumb, this question was about the train

No, you were right! The plutonium/lightning/Mr Fusion gave the jolt you needed to jump through time, but you needed to be moving at 88mph. The car itself handled that part.

Dave Angel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 15, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dave Angel posted:

He didn't need enriched plutonium at that point, the time circuits were being powered by the Mr Fusion device he procured in the future. As mentioned, the obstacle was physically reaching 88mph.

Edit:

No, you were right! The plutonium/lightning/Mr Fusion gave the jolt you needed to jump through time, but you needed to be moving at 88mph. The car itself handled that part.

Yep, my bad on that one. It's been a long time since I've seen the BttF movies and I'd forgotten about Mr. Fusion. Still the basic problem in BttF 3 was "Where the gently caress can I find/make something in the Old West that can get up to the 88 mph I need to get my rear end back to the loving future?!"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Is the Sacred Timeline running parallel to simultaneous Other Timelines, and the lack of pruning is causing them to cross each other?

There seems to be an internal inconsistency in that He Who Remains insists that Loki and Sylvie are from the same timeline, but then he immediately contradicts himself by pointing out the alternate versions of individuals come from the stack of Other Timelines– or is it that there is only one Sacred Timeline and the variants turn into alternate versions of their Prime Selves, in which case, what was the point of identifying the alternate parallel timelines? It's probably just the bad guy lying because he wants to feel in control, but it just seems to make the narrative's logic contradict itself.

Mobius falls into this too in the cafeteria scene, when he makes fun of Loki for falling for himself, but they never stop to consider that there's parallel versions of themselves existing in totally different realities

I'm probably messing this all up but it's been bothering me for a couple weeks haha

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fleetwood posted:

Is the Sacred Timeline running parallel to simultaneous Other Timelines, and the lack of pruning is causing them to cross each other?

There seems to be an internal inconsistency in that He Who Remains insists that Loki and Sylvie are from the same timeline, but then he immediately contradicts himself by pointing out the alternate versions of individuals come from the stack of Other Timelines– or is it that there is only one Sacred Timeline and the variants turn into alternate versions of their Prime Selves, in which case, what was the point of identifying the alternate parallel timelines? It's probably just the bad guy lying because he wants to feel in control, but it just seems to make the narrative's logic contradict itself.

Mobius falls into this too in the cafeteria scene, when he makes fun of Loki for falling for himself, but they never stop to consider that there's parallel versions of themselves existing in totally different realities

I'm probably messing this all up but it's been bothering me for a couple weeks haha

I'm curious how this all works, too. Because people are saying that the timelines will start branching off now, and this will explain Spider-Man 3 (speculation based on rumors) having Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield in it. But if their branches were just created NOW, wouldn't it take years for them to have their adventures with Green Goblin and Doc Oc and Lizard and all them? Or have they been running parallel this whole time, but not bothering Kang, so they didn't get pruned? If so, what does it matter if they branched now? If they already existed parallel, couldn't they, in theory, have crossed over at some people already? What difference does this event make?

I'm probably putting more thought into this than the movie will, but it's also been on my mind for a while.

More likely, I missed something stupid and obvious.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

I'm curious how this all works, too. Because people are saying that the timelines will start branching off now, and this will explain Spider-Man 3 (speculation based on rumors) having Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield in it. But if their branches were just created NOW, wouldn't it take years for them to have their adventures with Green Goblin and Doc Oc and Lizard and all them? Or have they been running parallel this whole time, but not bothering Kang, so they didn't get pruned? If so, what does it matter if they branched now? If they already existed parallel, couldn't they, in theory, have crossed over at some people already? What difference does this event make?

I'm probably putting more thought into this than the movie will, but it's also been on my mind for a while.

they literally showed the timeline and what happened to it, kang was running the TVA and nobody remembered Loki. By removing Kang from his position where he was monitoring and controlling the entirety of the timeline it was allowed to branch naturally, hence all the pretty fractal patterns on what was once a straight line and the stark differences between Loki's timeline when he left to the place outside of time and when he came back.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

thrawn527 posted:

It doesn't take any "time" for past historical events to happen. Look at Loki at the end when he went to the nuTVA. He didn't have to wait thousands of years for Kang to be born in the year 3000 and then take over the TVA. Once that was part of time, it was instantaneous. Like, look back at Mozart's life, from your perspective. If you start counting now, how long does it take for Mozart to be born, write his music, and die? That's a nonsense question! It all already happened. And so, things in the future exist this way as well.

You have to imagine time not as a film that you're watching, with one moment existing at a time, but more like a flipbook. While the pages are flipping, it looks like there are events "happening", but that's all an illusion. The entire book, every page, the whole series of events, they exist simultaneously the entire time. You just aren't able to see it all at once. But, you could, if you laid out every page from the book next to each other.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm thinking Sylvie's Nexus moment was not her actually doing anything, but because she needed to be taken by the TVA at that moment to become who she would become

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Because they showed the time ring around the castle as a loop so I just assumed their metaphorical image was literal and they could have been running that loop infinite times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I'm thinking Sylvie's Nexus moment was not her actually doing anything, but because she needed to be taken by the TVA at that moment to become who she would become
Seems likely

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

that checks out, it would explain why Renslayer went all sarcastically "I forgot" when Sylvie asked. Seemed out of character for Renslayer imo, if she didn't want to tell she would have just gone "gently caress you" I think. Instead she's trying real hard to not acknowledge that she doesn't know because then she might turn like Mobius

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Was surprised Dont Call Me Val didn't show up at the end to recruit sylvie. I mean it wouldn't make sense but still...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Was surprised Dont Call Me Val didn't show up at the end to recruit sylvie. I mean it wouldn't make sense but still...

Too busy being in Black Widow. Also, gotta hand it to JLD, she's nailing both the aloof spy boss thing while being obnoxious to the point where even the folk in the cheap seats can get that she's not a good guy

I think Renslayer's last few lines are actually almost more cliffhanger than the Planet Of The Apes ending. We never found out what HWR/Kang told Ms Minutes to give her. And her comment about the only one with free will being the one in charge and that she's off to 'find' free will, pretty heavily implies she's gonna do some conquering of her own.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it possible that Ravonna knew she was a variant the whole time? I mean, I'd rather run a business on behalf of my boyfriend, the Only Man With Free Will, than be a vice-principal.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mameluke posted:

Is it possible that Ravonna knew she was a variant the whole time? I mean, I'd rather run a business on behalf of my boyfriend, the Only Man With Free Will, than be a vice-principal.

I suppose it's possible, but she looked legitimately freaked by the revelation that the TKs were robots. And why would she demand that Ms. Minutes give her everything related to the formation of the TVA if she was effectively there when it began because her "boyfriend" began it?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Loved the finale. I've never read the comics but I was not disappointed with this. I'm a sucker for dialog so all the talking with He Who Remains was amazing. Really digging J. Majors. I don't really see why people have a problem with the talking? :shrug: I guess I'll allow that Marvel doesn't usually deal in dialog heavy drama, but this whole series has been about that life so you probably should've known what to expect.

The whole series has emenated a wonderful mix of MCU and British television. Looking forward to 'Loki Season 2: Broadchurch' or wherever this goes next. or 'Pride and Loki and Prejudice'

Now, on to Shang Chi! :munch:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I just saw someone point out that in ep5 when Classic Loki casts the illusion to get out of the mass Loki fight and you see Kid Loki throwing Alligator Loki into the mix... they're doing 'Get Help!' :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mameluke posted:

Is it possible that Ravonna knew she was a variant the whole time?

While possible, I think it's more likely that Ravonna is a True Believer. They pulled back the curtain she found out that she believes in lies, so now she has to look even harder behind the curtain because surely what she believes in can't be wrong!

Similarly, in the last episode, she reveals that from her True Believer POV, it's Mobius that up and betrayed everyone. Not her. She found out her bosses are lies but surely they must be right and warranted. And Mobius left their ages old friendship at the first chance, that traitor.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

The whole series has emenated a wonderful mix of MCU and British television. Looking forward to 'Loki Season 2: Broadchurch' or wherever this goes next. or 'Pride and Loki and Prejudice'

Uhh, Loki Blinders?!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cage Kicker posted:

Uhh, Loki Blinders?!

Loki of Duty

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Downton Loki

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Superman and Loki

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Kangsterpiece Theater

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Kang Fu: The Timeline Continues

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How are you missing the Finale's "Loki Who?" moment...

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Best ending out of all three shows so far. People complaining about it being talky, like do you want 30 minutes of punch mans and sky beam instead?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Artelier posted:

While possible, I think it's more likely that Ravonna is a True Believer. They pulled back the curtain she found out that she believes in lies, so now she has to look even harder behind the curtain because surely what she believes in can't be wrong!

Similarly, in the last episode, she reveals that from her True Believer POV, it's Mobius that up and betrayed everyone. Not her. She found out her bosses are lies but surely they must be right and warranted. And Mobius left their ages old friendship at the first chance, that traitor.
Yeah the impression that I have is that she is a true believer. She spent the entire season defending the TVA even as the things that she had been told and believed in were revealed to be all lies. Instead she appears to have doubled down on her beliefs by the end, with how she reacted to Mobius in that last conversation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Thundercracker posted:

Best ending out of all three shows so far. People complaining about it being talky, like do you want 30 minutes of punch mans and sky beam instead?

I mean, it would have been pretty rad if it HWR delivered all of that exposition while repeatedly and effortlessly dodging Sylvie and Loki's repeated attempts at stabbing him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feels like they are setting up Ravonna for a modified version of comic story, where she falls in love with/fully believes in Kang and his theory.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thundercracker posted:

I disagree because the series was so short there's no reason it couldn't have been 10/12 episode season 1. Instead they made it 6 so they could poll the fans (my wife gets these surveys for just about everything we watch on D+) and they're going to tailor the next season based around this instead of finishing the story.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Thundercracker posted:

They complain because they are in cultured SWINE!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

I disagree because the series was so short there's no reason it couldn't have been 10/12 episode season 1. Instead they made it 6 so they could poll the fans (my wife gets these surveys for just about everything we watch on D+) and they're going to tailor the next season based around this instead of finishing the story.

Question: What do you want to see in Season 2 of Loki?

Marvel Fan Answer: Me want 30 minutes of super-punchy inside a big sky beam.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Everyone posted:

Question: What do you want to see in Season 2 of Loki?

Marvel Fan Answer: Me want 30 minutes of super-punchy inside a big sky beam.

You laugh but when Mando was out she was basically getting "On a scale of 1-5 how much did you enjoy The child "baby yoda". In season 2 how much would yo like to see The Child "Baby Yoda?" Less ---- More"

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Cage Kicker posted:

Uhh, Loki Blinders?!

stev posted:

Loki of Duty

Klungar posted:

Downton Loki

Gonz posted:

Superman and Loki

XboxPants posted:

Kangsterpiece Theater

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I would watch all of these

HootTheOwl posted:

You laugh but when Mando was out she was basically getting "On a scale of 1-5 how much did you enjoy The child "baby yoda". In season 2 how much would yo like to see The Child "Baby Yoda?" Less ---- More"

Tell her to tell Disney more crocodile Loki and that the jet ski scene is non-negotiable next time

On the other hand, we can all lament the advent of stories made by committee and focus groups. I really wonder how many (and which) creative decisions were made by writers' free choices vs executive/marketing mandate in the MCU and Disney Star Wars.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well they did finish the story in 6 episodes. Is Loki a real human ? Yes !

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

On the other hand, we can all lament the advent of stories made by committee and focus groups. I really wonder how many (and which) creative decisions were made by writers' free choices vs executive/marketing mandate in the MCU and Disney Star Wars.

Is this really new though? The Simpsons had a whole episode about how terrible focus grouped ideas are 25 years ago.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Just saw the last episode. Kinda upset at the lack of lizards and lizards in loki helmets:argh: