Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Gosh dangit

Maybe Elementalist then? Damage conversion shenanigans perhaps, although this will be tougher to pull off without all the extra Auras from Prism Guardian. Or perhaps some kind of lightning ignite.

Instantly pivoting to Archmage Voltaxic Burst. 160% effectiveness of added damage would make that insane, right? What am I missing? You get 25% reduced skill effect duration from the tree and can presumably now use Less Duration Support with a straight face if the usual suspect support gems do get a sizable nerf. You can get the delay under a second if my math is right which should make it not a total pain to use.

The damage doesn't seem super impressive for Archmage unless I'm missing something. 160% added is decent but Fireball is 240% and Frostbolt is 220% if you just want to slap it on a big number. It casts pretty fast for the added% it gives (.5s vs .75s) but that may not help you very much with Archmage draining your mana dry. Given that you'll have to invest a good bit to make it actually pop quickly it mostly seems useful because it has the built-in corpse explosion elements rather than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Sister Cassia posted:

The league mechanic looks like customizable Blights, which is just fantastic. I hope the merchant NPCs have as much dialogue as the ones from Heist. I will be spending all of Expedition credits at Gheed of course gambling Leather Belts

I think it is more Legion, but replace the timer with a limit on the number of things you can unlock. It seems clearly designed to slow players down and make them interact with the game. I am looking forward to trying it out, but I understand if for some people it is not their cup of tea.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

shimmy shimmy posted:

The damage doesn't seem super impressive for Archmage unless I'm missing something. 160% added is decent but Fireball is 240% and Frostbolt is 220% if you just want to slap it on a big number. It casts pretty fast for the added% it gives (.5s vs .75s) but that may not help you very much with Archmage draining your mana dry. Given that you'll have to invest a good bit to make it actually pop quickly it mostly seems useful because it has the built-in corpse explosion elements rather than anything else.

I was mentally comparing it to the likes of Storm Brand and Blade Blast which both have sub-100% damage effectiveness, but I suppose they both also hit way faster than this thing will. It’ll at least be easy to PoB I guess so I can disappoint myself with a lot less time commitment

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

FZeroRacer posted:

Plus loot has evolved to require you to speed through maps and bosses in order to get anything done in a reasonable timeframe. Then at the same time they keep really silly stuff in the game like not fully stacking currency / shards because they view QoL changes as devaluing your loot time or something.

yeah dude, stash affinities, stash folders, free league tab... GGG definitely just hates QOL

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wow you don't even consider hideout music picker QOL, I am wounded.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jinnigan posted:

yeah dude, stash affinities, stash folders, free league tab... GGG definitely just hates QOL

And yet we're still clicking all of these stacks of currencies for ~immersion~ and that's just not qol I guess.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

And yet we're still clicking all of these stacks of currencies for ~immersion~ and that's just not qol I guess.

simply don't pick up the currencies

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

if it's not exciting for you to pick up then filter it out. same reason my bottom tier sale tab slowly rising from 1alc to 1c to 5c etc through the league

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The one time an ARPG got a loot vacuum with auto-currency-converter, the game got shut down by Disney.

That game was called Marvel Heroes. :rip:

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
RIP Marvel Heroes a fun crazy game too pure for this world

Not sure what to think of all the changes other than frozen orb totems will probably be pretty good - if not you can swap back to Freeze Pulse totems. However I have a sneaking suspicion that Viridi's Veil is going to be nerfed since curse immunity is really incredibly strong. For a pretty common Maven drop it spikes totem power like crazy, has wonderful QoL and makes gearing really easy since you don't need to worry about overcapped resistances. The downside of a magic ring isn't really so bad since you don't need resist on it and can have a solid + life/% life ring in that slot.

Plus with the changes to flasks, curse immunity isn't just a button click away otherwise (or so it seems). Chieftain slam totems look pretty good too so I predict totem classes will find the 3.15 changes pretty smooth!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I have been looking at Forbidden Rite and I think it will either double tap with the explosion and the homing projectile and do bonkers dps, or it will only single hit and suck. Scaling it could be difficult though, because life is on one side of the tree and spell crit on the other.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Will this league finally see the death of hardcore?

lol

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Fenris13 posted:

I have been looking at Forbidden Rite and I think it will either double tap with the explosion and the homing projectile and do bonkers dps, or it will only single hit and suck. Scaling it could be difficult though, because life is on one side of the tree and spell crit on the other.

I'm hoping we get a lot more "why did I die instantly" posts, Vaal Righteous Fire is way too dominant in "die instantly" numbers.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Jinnigan posted:

we get like one of these a year

defending GGG over this is huge lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Expedition, more like

eh, be skipin'

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Oof, flask rework? I really hope they didn't mess around too much with Quicksilver Flasks and Rumi's Concoction.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Use a VPN to play the Chinese version for auto currency pickup

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Flask change sounds like a big buff to me personally ,but at the same time there's absolutely no loving chance I'm going to get "activates when you're afflicted with Bleed" on a "removes bleed" flask, it's just never going to happen, and it's certainly not going to happen five times or whatever.

But in a less RNG complainy way, I convinced myself I was gonna do popcorn SRS this upcoming league, and the new summon looks like it might make that build more fun. But man, Forbidden Rite looks like a ton of fun even if there's virtually no way it will be good. Do I commit to the New, or stick with Old???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i've decided that with the announced changes i'm going to abandon humanity and just go fully improv on an explosive concoction claw pathfinder.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

The battle royal feels a lot less fun this time around. I can't find any gems most of the time.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Remove blight. Fix your game GGG!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Explosive Arrow is easily the most busted skill in royale.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The last league I actually played long was Metamorph when the conquerors/Sirus were introduced. I also played a little bit of Harvest but I basically quit when reaching maps for a variety of reasons including not finding Harvest mechanics very fun. I think if I was grinding every league like I did prior to Metamorph I wouldn't be as interested in this league.

When I evaluate the main things that keep me from coming back to PoE it's basically
1. too much clicking (I quit playing Starcraft 2 back in the day for this reason too)
2. takes too much of my time (hence why I want to play this league when I have time off)
3. making a build just gets harder and harder between the new systems and gems they add in and how skipping leagues means I also miss a ton of buffs/nerfs to the point where I don't feel like I know how PoE works any more at this point after being out for 3 leagues. I basically felt that way before when only skipping one league even.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ghostlight posted:

i've decided that with the announced changes i'm going to abandon humanity and just go fully improv on an explosive concoction claw pathfinder.

They explicitly say Explosive Concoction requires you to be unarmed

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

They explicitly say Explosive Concoction requires you to be unarmed

Rigwald's I suppose

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess the new chieftain slam totem can’t be exerted so … totems should be able to be exerted by you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh god what did they do to the official wiki

Sister Cassia
Jul 16, 2021

And the unrighteous were turned to ash! TO ASH! Yes they were!

Vincent Valentine posted:

But in a less RNG complainy way, I convinced myself I was gonna do popcorn SRS this upcoming league, and the new summon looks like it might make that build more fun. But man, Forbidden Rite looks like a ton of fun even if there's virtually no way it will be good. Do I commit to the New, or stick with Old???

I'm feeling this pull as well. I'm gonna be a Witch, but I have to choose between Necromancer and Occultist, Reaper vs Forbidden Rite. I think that Reaper is going to be the way to go. Even if it sucks you can still pivot to another minion type

von Braun posted:

Remove blight. Fix your game GGG!

How dare you

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Frozen Orb totems, with Freezing Pulse totems as backup if it's hosed.

Goreban Dallas 2.0
Jan 4, 2019

Devor posted:

Frozen Orb totems, with Freezing Pulse totems as backup if it's hosed.

I had so much fun with FP last league I think I’m going to go with it again if it isn’t nerfed to hell.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

everyone is going to be buying the anti curse helm and rings, it'll be like trying to buy the blood magic shield last league

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I could see the helm getting nerfed, but the rings are a fair trade off imo

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I'll at least hold off on doomsaying until I see actual patchnotes, but some of the new skills look neat and I definitely want to see how far you can push Storm Rain in ssf, maybe try out the new slam totem thing with Ice Crash just to really not see poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like instead of focusing on making act one harder, the focus should be on making act 1 interesting

Act 1 and 2 are nearing 10 years old at this point and it REALLY shows both in graphics and the early sluggish gameplay and old quest design.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Well, it can be both. A lot of the stuff they referenced touched on mechanical changes instead of purely numeric damage buffs for monsters. Although based on recent experience in the gauntlet, act 1 being stupidly deadly on pure numbers is interesting in its own way.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I can't help but think that lot of this is in preparation for the 12(?) six links everyone is going to have. I continue to like the idea of skills that incentivize using other skills to maximize your damage. More exciting gameplay loops, I say!!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hawowanlawow posted:

everyone is going to be buying the anti curse helm and rings, it'll be like trying to buy the blood magic shield last league

might be cheaper to get atziris reflection rather than viridis veil at this point.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

External Organs posted:

I can't help but think that lot of this is in preparation for the 12(?) six links everyone is going to have. I continue to like the idea of skills that incentivize using other skills to maximize your damage. More exciting gameplay loops, I say!!

Yeah it definitely feels that way. They've slowly leaned more into archetypes and skills that support combos of 6links, but it's held back somewhat by the socket system right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They arent just making act 1 harder. They are going to make all the acts harder they are just starting with 1. Also the buffs to the act bosses they do will carry over to the Map versions (and therefore the Maven versions) which could be good i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope they get rid of plain "more damage" supports.