Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

that looks like a good plug with the sideways orientation vs giant wall wart however, I have these: https://tinyurl.com/r7tzh3tk
This is in my office where i have one that power strip:
tv, xbox series x, xbox 360, playstation 4, playstation 3, sega genesis, tivo mini, controller charger for ps3, controller charger for xbox 360, and a USB charging station which itself powers the HDMI switch and Pound cable for my genesis, plus other devices such as charging xbox one / series x controllers. outlets are limited in this room. Next project is going to be wiring the house for ethernet because my wireless networking is a disaster. (stupid EERO)

otter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Not the most elegant solution, but I use these for when the wall warts won't fit otherwise. Also UL listed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDVX330/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_KC7VT6WX291MWBBFVP9E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

mewse
May 2, 2006

azurite posted:

For the Genesis 1 and Sega CD, I just get these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_XJW171VM2NYT2HJAZDPX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They're UL listed, smaller, and plug in sideways, which gives you considerably more room than the Sega ones.

How dare you use the cheap available option rather than bespoke gameur products

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

azurite posted:

For the Genesis 1 and Sega CD, I just get these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_XJW171VM2NYT2HJAZDPX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They're UL listed, smaller, and plug in sideways, which gives you considerably more room than the Sega ones.
Still tho, the original point is to have one plug for all 3.

Also it's hilarious how power strips and wall warts all went in to rate mode so everything just doesn't fit again (I mean 20years ago or whatever)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I tend to only place my trust in low-voltage retro gaming accessories.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1408060283440963590?s=20

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 2, 2021

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

So I just made around £500 selling my Mega Drive games on eBay, which is nice

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

So I just made around £500 selling my Mega Drive games on eBay, which is nice
Unsure what situation I'd be in where I'd want to sell mine, i suspect some scenario where i had to severly downsize / move to a small place / another country? Even though it's mostly shelf candy.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

falz posted:

Unsure what situation I'd be in where I'd want to sell mine, i suspect some scenario where i had to severly downsize / move to a small place / another country? Even though it's mostly shelf candy.

I'm not a collector, they were all just sat in storage not being played or even displayed so I thought i'd sell, I doubt my kids would be interested in them when they're older either. I didn't realise how rare some of the games were or even that prices had rocketed up since the last time I looked, though. I got just under £150 for a complete EU copy of Gunstar Heroes which was a shock.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dell_Zincht posted:

So I just made around £500 selling my Mega Drive games on eBay

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm not a collector, they were all just sat in storage not being played or even displayed so I thought i'd sell, I doubt my kids would be interested in them when they're older either. I didn't realise how rare some of the games were or even that prices had rocketed up since the last time I looked, though. I got just under £150 for a complete EU copy of Gunstar Heroes which was a shock.
Does the EU version of Gunstar change everyone to robots like Contra/Probotector?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got a 32X. I dont have any 32X games yet but I ordered a couple on ebay.

In the meantime I wanted to check out if it works with my Genesis games, and it isnt. It seems to output the video and sound from the Sega CD just fine, but plugging a Genesis cartridge in gives me the "produced by or under license" message and then the next screen is usually a solid color. Depending on the game I try it has either been black, pink, or purple, or sometimes freezing on the game's Sega logo.

Two questions:

1. Assuming this thing flat out can't work with my genesis games, does that necessarily mean 32X games will also not work? Trying to determine if I should wait and see if either of my ordered games work or return this to the store right away

2. If anyone recognizes these specific symptoms, do you know of a fix I can do?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Are you sure the RGB passthrough cable is connected properly, and your video out is from the 32x to your TV, not the genesis?

It should be:

Genesis -<DIN cable>- 32x -<composite?>- TV

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gutcruncher posted:

1. Assuming this thing flat out can't work with my genesis games, does that necessarily mean 32X games will also not work?

Yes. If standard carts don't load, the 32X ones shouldn't either. The mushroom isn't making proper contact with the base.

Gutcruncher posted:

2. If anyone recognizes these specific symptoms, do you know of a fix I can do?

Cleaning contacts first with some alcohol and then using an eraser so the residue improves the connection. Standard techniques to get pesky carts loading.

There's also a removable, plastic piece to help secure the mushroom depending on what kind of Mega Drive version you have. Make sure you got it and it's properly attached.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Tried some alcohol out on all the connections and same result. I'm plugging it in correctly and since Sega CD games are outputting correctly it seems like the video passthrough and the cable are fine. Also I made sure to confirm that I’m using the plastic spacer since I have a model 2

Looking around the internet I did see some other guy whose genesis games wouldnt play but 32X games would, so I guess it's possible its most important function still works? The store I bought it from has a second location and I think they actually have a 32X game, I'll go there and see if I can test it on their game I guess.

I guess its not the end of the world if I have to either unplug the 32X to play genesis games or just designate that Genesis as "the one with the addons" and use one of my other ones as the normal one.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 16, 2021

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I'd definitely want it to work right, removing the 32x requires moving video cables back to normal too, which would suck.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hell yeah, the store I bought my broken 32X from fixed it now I finally have a working full Genesis tower. 10 year old me would be proud!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Nice. Next step is a Trio. One power supply to rule them all.
edit: In Fall / Winter of 2021 apparently. https://www.retrogamecave.com/sega
I waited years to be able to order one and it is nice.

otter fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 20, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Brain damage double post:
I forgot to post about my goodwill haul from this weekend
I got a game gear game genie, tv tuner, chuck rock, mortal Kombat 2, sonic 2, Aladdin, lion king, and primal rage for a total of ~$40.
Has anyone encountered a good price on everdrive/ clones for the game gear? I don’t want to let my kids juggle all of the carts.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

otter posted:

Nice. Next step is a Trio. One power supply to rule them all.
edit: In Fall / Winter of 2021 apparently. https://www.retrogamecave.com/sega
I waited years to be able to order one and it is nice.
On the last page I mentioned there was another option that's much cheaper but neglected to google it. It's this, which is half the price.

I have the Retro Game Cave one but still think it's way overpriced. Perhaps someone can chime in on quality of this Retro Game Supply one?

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/sega

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

falz posted:

On the last page I mentioned there was another option that's much cheaper but neglected to google it. It's this, which is half the price.

I have the Retro Game Cave one but still think it's way overpriced. Perhaps someone can chime in on quality of this Retro Game Supply one?

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/sega

Id be interested in checking it out. I can't imagine shipping from France would be any slower than from retro game cave...

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I found out about SGDK yesterday, a free and open source Mega Drive/Genesis development kit, and been following these really cool tutorials and it's surreal how well it works. I can't believe I was able to make something that would run on the emulator and the Mega Drive in goddamn 2021 and I was able to understand it, that's nuts. There's even a Visual Studio Code extension that makes it super straightforward too.

Makes me wish we had a homebrew/retro console dev thread here on the subforum. I would make one but I don't really know anything about homebrew game dev, but I'd love reading more about it.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I found out about SGDK yesterday, a free and open source Mega Drive/Genesis development kit, and been following these really cool tutorials and it's surreal how well it works. I can't believe I was able to make something that would run on the emulator and the Mega Drive in goddamn 2021 and I was able to understand it, that's nuts. There's even a Visual Studio Code extension that makes it super straightforward too.

Makes me wish we had a homebrew/retro console dev thread here on the subforum. I would make one but I don't really know anything about homebrew game dev, but I'd love reading more about it.

This sounds amazing and if I had infinite time I would definitely make my own Genesis game.

I was also just posting to state the obvious that redream is amazing for Dreamcast emulation. I heard about it here a while back and downloaded it and then never tried it out until now. It is one of those things that just works and works really well. So much easier for me then trying to get my Dreamcast to work and hook it up.

Also, tomorrow is 9/9 and that always makes me think of the Dreamcast. I have no clue when other consoles released but the 9/9/99 Dreamcast marketing worked really well on me and I was HYPED. SoulCalibur looked crazy good. Sadly I was not able to get a Dreamcast until a year later but it was worth the wait.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My solution was to spend a stupid amount of money to upgrade my Dreamcast with a silent fan, ODE, replaceable battery, new capacitors, dcdigital hdmi upgrade and, heck, a new case too

I started a new Grandia II save last week. It's been fun.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Happy 9/9

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

You’d think when he got the ‘name is already taken by 141 users’ message he would’ve just picked something else

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Oh my word. That man vandalized at least 142 dreamcasts. I guess that makes my dreamcasts raise in value since they don't have his scrawl on them...
Happy Dreamcast Day, everybody.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone seen a Durstcast in the wild? I imagine that sharpie would rub off considering most people were constantly open palm slamming discs in all the time

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just looked up a bunch of photos, and I'm starting to think none of them are real

This one doesn't have a number

This one appears to be signed by the entire band

And this one is clearly signed "Freddurst IS DUM"

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone seen a Durstcast in the wild? I imagine that sharpie would rub off considering most people were constantly open palm slamming discs in all the time

The instant I saw that post/those photos I was thinking the same thing.

Dreamcast was such a nice looking system. I hate the big ugly new PS5s and Xbox Xs. If Dreamcast actually made it and lasted another 5 years I wonder what the even smaller revision would have looked like.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Series S is the closest to the size of the Dreamcast, and it’s even a bit bigger. I’ll have to get a comparison shot later.

I think a revision might have been thinner, the footprint of it is pretty close to the Super Fami but there might have been room to shrink that.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ToxicToast posted:

The instant I saw that post/those photos I was thinking the same thing.

Dreamcast was such a nice looking system. I hate the big ugly new PS5s and Xbox Xs. If Dreamcast actually made it and lasted another 5 years I wonder what the even smaller revision would have looked like.

Series x = Dreamcast 5 also the quietest Dreamcast yet.
I am fully aware of the “a taco is a sandwich” nature of this statement.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The problem with that is that both xboxes are ugly, unlike the dreamcast which is beautiful

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Been playing a lot of Saturn games via emulation lately and it’s good. I’m sad it’s the only Sega console released in America that I never owned. Dreamcast is tied with Genesis as being my favorite. I remember the ridiculous hype when the PS2 was about to come out while me and my fellow Dreamcast owning buds weren’t very impressed.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
I've got the old megadrive 2 and mega cd 2 combo, and I've noticed I can use the RCA audio jacks on the mega cd to get game audio. Does this have improved audio, or anything like that, or is it just a straight pass-through?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't think there's a difference.

I vaguely recall they only output the redbook audio when using a Model 1 or something, necessitating the use of an aux cable to pipe in stereo from its headphone jack into the back of the CD unit (cuz usually the Model 1 only outputs mono from the rear port). I'm not sure about specifics, and I don't think it's relevant to a Model 2 anyway?

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
I suppose at the very least it gives me stereo sound, as my megadrive 2's composite cable only has the one white audio jack.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think they did that so you could listen to music CDs on your stereo

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
What’s the Dreamcast light gun to get? I’m building out my dc setup and want to get a couple guns

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The Automator posted:

What’s the Dreamcast light gun to get? I’m building out my dc setup and want to get a couple guns

The official one is best but never came out in USA. For some dumb reasons some games don't work with it, apparently due to Columbine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

falz posted:

The official one is best but never came out in USA. For some dumb reasons some games don't work with it, apparently due to Columbine?

Yeah, that's what got me asking. Normally the Sega one would be the one by default, but it doesn't work on the US games :(