Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Apparently some of the damaged properties in Barrie weren't up to code and in some cases the roof wasn't nailed to the house.

I'm sure cutting funds to building inspection to clear that right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Isn’t that like a brand new neighborhood? Looks like it’s right on the edge of another phase of garbage homes

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Isn’t that like a brand new neighborhood? Looks like it’s right on the edge of another phase of garbage homes

That was my first thought from the photos, prime location right next to a glistening mud pit.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Love to pay twice as much for a house as it would be worth if it were properly built, and not even get that.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

tagesschau posted:

Love to pay twice as much for a house as it would be worth if it were properly built, and not even get that.
canadianrealestate.txt

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These guys are all fuckers and buying a new house has --- imo --- been a horrible decision. Our siding has come off regularly and the guy was like, "well i normally leave it but it's been windy" - fucker, it's ALWAYS windy on the prairies. He was supposed to nail them all in but yesterday a small strip on my garage was off. These guys are all crooks and pieces of poo poo. Burn the industry to the ground.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

These guys are all fuckers and buying a new house has --- imo --- been a horrible decision. Our siding has come off regularly and the guy was like, "well i normally leave it but it's been windy" - fucker, it's ALWAYS windy on the prairies. He was supposed to nail them all in but yesterday a small strip on my garage was off. These guys are all crooks and pieces of poo poo. Burn the industry to the ground.
I moved into a brand new condo in September and the experience has been frustrating, almost too many issues to even keep track of. From small things like cupboard doors not sitting properly after a few months or lightbulbs missing from fixtures, to major ones like the smoke alarm breaking and going off at 5am or a leak from upstairs going through a light fixture, the first six months was just a constant stream of problems. And this is one of the better new buildings; the builder would come and fix any problem promptly.

I know any new building is going to have some growing pains but to be that guy for a second, when I lived in Japan one of my places was also a brand new building. Zero issues, everything was perfect with that unit. Crappy buildings everywhere doesn't have to be the norm.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah - my parents bought a new build near Gravenhurst and I genuinely wonder if the builder was just a scam artist. House absolutely not matching the drawings submitted to the city (literal extra rooms), illegal (untagged) well, septic bed backed up in the first year, and construction waste buried in the backyard, just to name a handful of the insane litany of issues.

The builder convinced my parents not to file with Tarion early on when there were only a few issues and has paid for a significant amount of the fixes, but they're habitual home-improvers and even they are just sick and tired of everything coming up in this place.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Vintersorg posted:

This has been an ongoing issue since the last housing boom of the early Aughts. I started my plumbing apprenticeship around then, and my first few years were in construction. I always advise never buying any house newer than the 1990s unless you can go over it with a fine tooth comb and either find no problems or can reasonably expect to get those problems fixed. In my first year I was with a journeyman and we were working on houses in new subdivisions on the north and south of Edmonton, as well as in the outer communities of Sherwood Park, St. Albert, and Beaumont. We were expected to rough in a house (drainage, water lines, and venting) in 24 man hours, about a day and half. I admit I'm a slow worker, but it's unreasonable to expect quality work at that rate when the company is only caring about the bottom line. Now expand that attitude to the other trades. It's not worth sinking your money into the sort of money pit it potentially can be. I've seen work that could have happened at GroverHause FFS.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Also, make sure when buying a house or apartment build before 1985 that your wiring is up to code, cause you might just find a smoldering fire in your loving wall thanks to the heat wave!

Thanks, home inspector, for making it sound like our wiring was TOTALLY FINE.

Home inspections and new homes are scams.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Also, make sure when buying a house or apartment build before 1985 that your wiring is up to code, cause you might just find a smoldering fire in your loving wall thanks to the heat wave!

Did you have fuses or a breaker panel?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3SChqp51Y

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ChickenDoodle posted:

uhh if the home inspector produced a document for you that claims the wiring in the home was adequate or meets building codes and it was not you can sue that dude. They have professional liability since people rely on their expert knowledge of building construction when they make investment decisions.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also make sure some home-gamer didn't do anything important. What's a ground wire even for, amirite?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cocaine Bear posted:

Also make sure some home-gamer didn't do anything important. What's a ground wire even for, amirite?

Doesn’t sound important, I want electricity not dirt!

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah, seems about right for this hell hole. (That’ll be worth 2.5mm now I imagine)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Did you have fuses or a breaker panel?

I do, yeah. It doesn’t go off fast enough, apparently. Also, half aluminum half copper in this stupid apartment (the building was built in the 60s with all aluminum wiring and whatever rear end in a top hat renovated the place only did the kitchen and bathroom and most likely without permits). It’s a whole bucket of nightmare fuel I’m fixing and then running away from for something younger.

Starsfan posted:

uhh if the home inspector produced a document for you that claims the wiring in the home was adequate or meets building codes and it was not you can sue that dude. They have professional liability since people rely on their expert knowledge of building construction when they make investment decisions.

I’ll take a look into this with my contractor, thanks. (He’s the one who alerted me to the fact this idiot told us it wasn’t anything to worry about at the moment).

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 16, 2021

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Yeah, seems about right for this hell hole. (That’ll be worth 2.5mm now I imagine)

I do, yeah. It doesn’t go off fast enough, apparently. Also, half aluminum half copper in this stupid apartment (the building was built in the 60s with all aluminum wiring and whatever rear end in a top hat renovated the place only did the kitchen and bathroom and most likely without permits). It’s a whole bucket of nightmare fuel I’m fixing and then running away from for something younger.

I’ll take a look into this with my contractor, thanks. (He’s the one who alerted me to the fact this idiot told us it wasn’t anything to worry about at the moment).

Fuses are actually safer and better but with a big asterisk on that. You have to use the right one for the circuit. People screw 30A into 15A circuits and then melt their wiring.

And aluminum is okay as long as all the plugs and switches are rated for use for aluminum. The issue is when people mix them up.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ChickenDoodle posted:

Yeah the problem is that home inspectors are only liable for things that they could reasonably be expected to detect during their inspection, issues with electrical wiring could be difficult to detect if they are not readily apparent on a walk through the home. It would depend on what specific claims the inspector made in their report and what the defects with the electrical work were.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1416170773182615552

The Greens have lost votes to... Maxime Bernier??

Good job, environment party.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean... it's possible that the Greens lost their support to the NDP and the PPC is slowly starting to eat the CPC.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Either way this fall election is going to be a nothingburger. We're either going to get another 4 years of status quo libs or 4 years of 'Gosh we'd love to be more progressive but we have a minority government and the nasty conservatives won't let us' libs.

Then we're going to get a CPC minority.

Then we're going to get a CPC majority.

And by that time climate change will have primed this country to just go loving fascist.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1416170773182615552

The Greens have lost votes to... Maxime Bernier??

Good job, environment party.

They’re known as “Tesla Tories” for a reason

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I seem to recall in this thread a discussion of some very engaging, but emotionally hard to read, books about the history of settlement of western Canada. I'm phone postin' and can't get the search function to work. Was Clearing the Prairies recommended? Anything else that goes into the history of genocide and broken treaties and maybe the presettlement history of the Prairies? I'm looking more for well-written popular histories rather than academic studies.

For my part, I picked up "A Geography of Blood" by Candace Savage at the library recently. It's good, but it's very specific to the area of the Cypress Hills.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Clearing the Plains.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

ChickenDoodle posted:

Oh yeah, for a relatively brief time they used aluminum wiring instead of copper. It works perfectly fine, as long as the voltage and amperage isn't too high. Then the stuff melts. Same thing with plastic water lines made from polybutenol. That stuff is the precursor of pex and wirsbo, but it gets more brittle with time and UV light can damage it, so all you can do is adapt it to modern water lines. Poly B is easy to identify at least: it's a dull grey. You see that stuff, best leave it to the professionals.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Oh yeah, for a relatively brief time they used aluminum wiring instead of copper. It works perfectly fine, as long as the voltage and amperage isn't too high. Then the stuff melts. Same thing with plastic water lines made from polybutenol. That stuff is the precursor of pex and wirsbo, but it gets more brittle with time and UV light can damage it, so all you can do is adapt it to modern water lines. Poly B is easy to identify at least: it's a dull grey. You see that stuff, best leave it to the professionals.

Isn't the other problem with Aluminum wiring that it oxidizes at connections which can increase resistance and thus heat which would lead to that melting scenario? Plus it seems like aluminum work hardens pretty quickly but I don't know if that's an issue as well or not.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Squibbles posted:

Isn't the other problem with Aluminum wiring that it oxidizes at connections which can increase resistance and thus heat which would lead to that melting scenario? Plus it seems like aluminum work hardens pretty quickly but I don't know if that's an issue as well or not.

I believe so. With the usual caveat that I'm a plumber, not an electrician I can only tell you what my personal experience has been. I've only dealt with aluminum wiring when I've had to install a dishwasher or similar appliance. I've found that aluminum is more brittle than copper, so you can't bend it too much, and as far as oxidation is concerned I'd have to say yes, it does increase the resistance of the wiring which in turn increases the heat of the wire when electricity is passing through.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

"Our" Métis, hmm?

What was it Arivia said about people who merely get the shibboleths wrong out of ignorance being indistinguishable from the people who screw them up on purpose to inflame?

That sounds way too smart to be something I’d have posted on the forums, tbh.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Lars Blitzer posted:

Agreed. It’s worked fine for years, up until we got hit with 40c+ temperatures and we used the microwave and the air conditioner at the same time. Those three things combined caused the perfect storm of melting wiring. But that just brings up the worry about the other units who haven’t done work. WHEN this happens again (cause climate change is real), what if someone does the same thing unknowingly like me? What other buildings are at risk because climate change is also changing what works inside them? THAT is a terrifying thought to me.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Buildings like that aren't designed for people to actually live in, they are investment vehicles

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah, it seems like new builds are not worth anything these days.
Our house is 160 years old, I'm pretty sure anything that could happen has already happened. A big renovation was done in 2000 so all the wiring is modern and the plumbing is mostly modern also, and those are the 2 biggies.

I don't think you can get more solid. The foundation is 3 foot thick layers of fieldstone and the main beams are just actual tree trunks.
There isn't a single straight line in the house but I'm okay with that.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I lived in a place like that, except it was purpose built as a rental in 1880, and was used as a rental ever since. The basement was dirt, one of the (only) support beams had a huge crack going down the middle, there were two old kerosene tanks in the basement, there was literal rubble all over the basement floor from where the fieldstone was crumbling, and japanese knotweed was growing between the stones.

That place was... not great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Walked into city hall today, asked if I could get a shot, got a shot and now I'm doing the 15 minute shuffle.

So that's Pfizer for 1 and Moderna for 2.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Walked into city hall today, asked if I could get a shot, got a shot and now I'm doing the 15 minute shuffle.

So that's Pfizer for 1 and Moderna for 2.

Enjoy your covid protection, 5G nanobots and extra limbs!

Also thank you for not vaccine shopping. I had some fuckshit rear end in a top hat swearing and threatening me yesterday at work because we ran out of Pfizer and could only give him Moderna. He let slip he was a realtor and was whining that he couldnt see clients blah blah and now I hate realtors even more than before, something I didnt know was possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's worth it not only to get it done quicker but also to spite the older assholes blaming the whole pandemic on my age demographic like we're picky eaters with an inflated sense of invincibility.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its absolutely insane to me that anyone could think they're qualified to have a robust enough opinion on what vaccine they get that they could actually get angry at someone else about it

at the convention centre they did not even entertain the possibility of having a choice. you got the one that the person had on them and that was it and frankly thats good enough

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

We as a society respect individual choice and our ability to make boneheaded decisions a bit much.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Verviticus posted:

its absolutely insane to me that anyone could think they're qualified to have a robust enough opinion on what vaccine they get that they could actually get angry at someone else about it

at the convention centre they did not even entertain the possibility of having a choice. you got the one that the person had on them and that was it and frankly thats good enough

I've seen a case where people had vacation planned which they had to change destination because the country did not recognize mix as a valid immunization but that issue sill surely resolve itself in time where countries will start accepting it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

supersnowman posted:

I've seen a case where people had vacation planned which they had to change destination because the country did not recognize mix as a valid immunization but that issue sill surely resolve itself in time where countries will start accepting it.

God forbid people look into this poo poo before planning vacations out of the country. Its not my job to hold onto vaccines just in case Wealthy Boomer #47574 booked a non-refundable flight to some country offering cruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

supersnowman posted:

Yeah, I mean, that's an issue. It's a bit rude that by following public health advice and common sense here in Canada, and receiving a mixed vaccination, you could be barred from or restricted in other countries (whether they booked their trips in the past, or are considering doing so now). I think it's reasonable to be angry about the constellation of circumstances that allow that to happen (of which being offered/receiving a mixed vaccination is NOT the most significant), while not holding individual pharmacists responsible and yelling at them about it.