Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s definitely not an animated movie. Return to Oz is great.

No I was talking about The Point. I know what Return to Oz is but the only things I know about it are that it has some sort of clock robot man and Fairuza Balk is in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I love Brave Little Toaster for being a kids cartoon that also features a nihilistic song that ends with a car committing suicide

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No I was talking about The Point. I know what Return to Oz is but the only things I know about it are that it has some sort of clock robot man and Fairuza Balk is in it

The point is a better album than a movie imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

I believe it, Harry Nilsson owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah big time

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the advice on kid-friendly games, y’all. Those are some solid recommendations (and I had totally forgotten about the witness and similar non-action games).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Real hurthling! posted:

If you've only seen the Ringo Starr version you're doing yourself a disservice. It's honestly the least of the four. The one I have on VHS is Alan Thicke version. It's trippy and fun and silly and I really like the message.

Return To Oz is a dark, terrifying children's movie that really doesn't pull any punches when it comes to depicting how adults will treat other badly and take advantage of anyone in a lesser position...and that you yourself are gonna have to make friends and band together to level the playing field. I love it.

All I was saying was insulating children from the realities of the world is tempting but in a relatively safe environment like games you can approach otherwise difficult subjects and have the conversation, if you want, about why those things are bad behavior or undesirable while highlighting the fun stuff like the physical humor and the cryogenic hamster.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Wait wait wait...

There's four versions of The Point?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The scene in All Dogs Go to Heaven where Charlie has a nightmare about hell scared the poo poo out of me as a kid

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Wait wait wait...

Yeah, the real tricky one to track down is the Dustin Hoffman version. It was the original broadcast, and he specifically got paid an amount based on it airing once. Pretty sure you can only find bootlegs now, it’s never been officially rereleased.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Wait wait wait...

Four voice-overs, yeah. I forget the other two, and the Alan Thicke version is apparently the one nobody else has a copy of. I should convert that to digital sometime.

I still have as part of my lexicon, "You been messin' with the beeeeeeees?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arcturas posted:

Thanks for the advice on kid-friendly games, y’all. Those are some solid recommendations (and I had totally forgotten about the witness and similar non-action games).

Is it too early for Streets of Rage 4 and teaching the kid that All Cops Are Bast-- uhhhh Bullies?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Lobok posted:

Is it too early for Streets of Rage 4 and teaching the kid that All Cops Are Bast-- uhhhh Bullies?

The older kid could probably go for it. The younger kid got a little scared watching me play Smash against the AI so we had to switch to watching me play Spider Man and collect backpacks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

rift apart was made for this

there's also the pathless, 90% of which is just bounding through the environment

Ironic, in Rift Apart you not-murder thousands of enemies and a third of them are literally named Goons

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ironic, in Rift Apart you not-murder thousands of enemies and a third of them are literally named Goons

You sure you don’t mean Yakuza 0

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kiryu has never killed anyone

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Zoom Goon reporting in.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Everyone you fight in Yakuza has a name

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dirty Pervert
Creepy Librarian

That sort of thing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dirty Pervert
Creepy Librarian

That sort of thing

No I mean they literally have names above their health bar

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I like to reserve the most violent heat actions for goons who share names with Japanese developer names I'm familiar with. Kojima, Miyamoto, Naka, Iwata... :unsmigghh:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Baggot posted:

I like to reserve the most violent heat actions for goons who share names with Japanese developer names I'm familiar with. Kojima, Miyamoto, Naka, Iwata... :unsmigghh:

The enemies who show some fame
And share a developer's name
Get super destroyed
As though you're annoyed
Even though you do claim to love games

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Casnorf posted:

The enemies who show some fame
And share a developer's name
Get super destroyed
As though you're annoyed
Even though you do claim to love games

:golfclap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only game my kids will be allowed to play is Doom Eternal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
eh gently caress it, if anyone has a disc ps5 they're selling let me know!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Point is so good!!!

Are there any issues with DQXI S + rest mode? It’s a pretty solid game for that and I’ve noticed it doesn’t keep the time clock running while resting or anything like that so it should be fine. Just want to check.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Arcturas posted:

The younger kid got a little scared watching me play Smash against the AI so we had to switch to watching me play Spider Man and collect backpacks.

I think this is really sweet :3:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lolling at the idea of disciplining a child by threatening to beat up their favorite character in Smash. If you don't behave then I'm going to falcon punch pikachu like we discussed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We had a woman at work who brought her five year old kid in to see F9 and they came out like 20 minutes later because he was too scared. To clarify this movie starts with someone dying in a fiery explosion. I have no idea why you would take a child that young to see this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Point is so good!!!

Are there any issues with DQXI S + rest mode? It’s a pretty solid game for that and I’ve noticed it doesn’t keep the time clock running while resting or anything like that so it should be fine. Just want to check.

Should be fine. I played the OG version on PS4 and never had a problem

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Escobarbarian posted:

We had a woman at work who brought her five year old kid in to see F9 and they came out like 20 minutes later because he was too scared. To clarify this movie starts with someone dying in a fiery explosion. I have no idea why you would take a child that young to see this.

That kid never got over Paul Walker's irl death.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Escobarbarian posted:

Taking an unvaccinated child to an inappropriate movie during a pandemic is absolutely lovely parenting.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

I've been meaning to ask my parents about this myself. Nothing like being taken to movies like Child's Play as a ten year old and being told to suck it up because it's fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's rated PG-13, which means it doesn't have any of that filthy sex, so it's perfectly fine for children

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just realized I'm probably never gonna use my ps4 pro again. I can't think of a compelling reason not to sell it. The list of non backwards compatible games is pretty small and I don't own any of them anyway. I don't realistically see myself really using remote play much on it either. May as well try to get a couple hundred bucks out it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are the Newegg shuffle PS5's always bundled with a bunch of lovely games to raise the price? I don't mind spending $1000 for a PS5 and some games, but not... MLB The Show and Destruction AllStars

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My parents took me to see Starship Troopers when I was 7 lmao the 90s ruled so much.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Should be fine. I played the OG version on PS4 and never had a problem

Neat Neat Neat. Thanks!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, it is a family movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
MLB The Show is GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Baseball games are boring af, digital or otherwise.