Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I think this is really sweet :3:

They're great kiddos.

The older one (4) laughed super hard at the Astro's Playroom introduction where the controller turns into a rocket ship, and so she got to try to play that for a while. It was a great introduction because she is still barely working on the coordination of managing buttons and a control stick at the same time. I was really proud when she figured out how to jump and move at the same time in the first little area.

I really want to get her playing Odyssey or Mario Maker 2 but for now the controls are a little hard. Any time I play Smash, though, she decides who I get to play (Peach about 50% of the time, sometimes Palutena or Lucina. Once in a long while Zero Suit Samus.). She's tried occasionally and can understand that the A button makes Peach slap people. Jumping and moving are hard to do together, but she finds it hilarious to walk off the side of the stage and explode.

The littler one (2) gets a little scared of play fighting, but he mostly goes really quiet and then comes over for a big hug after the match/level/whatever is over and there's a small break. So I gotta watch him to see if it's a game we need to switch away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

MLB The Show is GOTY

All Years. Chet Uberderp mashes dingers and nothing else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg makes a triumphant Returnal to streaming https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

We had a woman at work who brought her five year old kid in to see F9 and they came out like 20 minutes later because he was too scared. To clarify this movie starts with someone dying in a fiery explosion. I have no idea why you would take a child that young to see this.

I will always remember the guy that brought his what looked like 4-year old son to the 10:15pm showing of The Real Cancun at the theater I worked at.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Oh yeah, and the 70 year old lady who bought a ticket to see American Wedding, only to walk out 15 minutes later complaining about how rude it was.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

My parents took me to see Starship Troopers when I was 7 lmao the 90s ruled so much.

Haha same. My parents really didn't give a poo poo, my dad took me to see Predator when I was two. Yet the only media I can remember scaring me was a kid was the It miniseries with Tim Curry, and the episode of Pee-wee's Playhouse where he goes to the dentist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MLB The Show is a good sports series, but the Show 21 is not one of them. The AI for your team is so bad, and there are still bugs months later that Sony hasn't patched.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

acksplode posted:

Haha same. My parents really didn't give a poo poo, my dad took me to see Predator when I was two. Yet the only media I can remember scaring me was a kid was the It miniseries with Tim Curry, and the episode of Pee-wee's Playhouse where he goes to the dentist.

Yeah I grew up on weird horror and 80s action movies. My parents were always good about making sure I knew like... the weight of things and difference between real and fake and all that sort of stuff. Same with games and music mostly. I wasn't too restricted and I turned out uh, well, hm, uh, absolutely perfect!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
gently caress yeah, my disc of demon's souls just showed up today. Installing now. Can't wait to suck at this completely. Never played the original, and I'm bad af at dark souls, bloodborne, and sekiro. Guess I gotta get gud

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dog nougat posted:

gently caress yeah, my disc of demon's souls just showed up today. Installing now. Can't wait to suck at this completely. Never played the original, and I'm bad af at dark souls, bloodborne, and sekiro. Guess I gotta get gud

my friend have you heard of your savior and guiding light Pure Sorcery

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I grew up on weird horror and 80s action movies. My parents were always good about making sure I knew like... the weight of things and difference between real and fake and all that sort of stuff. Same with games and music mostly. I wasn't too restricted and I turned out uh, well, hm, uh, absolutely perfect!

Yup I never got much content policing and I did OK. In my completely useless opinion as someone who's never raised a kid, the trick is guidance rather than sheltering. Media literacy is a learned skill. Although I guess I have to ding my parents for one thing: as a young child I had recurring nightmares featuring a distraught man wailing in despair at a destroyed bridge, and a woman's disembodied head floating out of a dark forest toward me. It wasn't until I was a teenager watching Evil Dead 2 for the "first" time that I realized where that poo poo came from.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh don't tell someone almost brand new to Souls to start out doing some lame rear end sorcery build.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Ugh don't tell someone almost brand new to Souls to start out doing some lame rear end sorcery build.

STR/FAITH or GTFO

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Demons Souls Remake is the only game where that advice is appropriate. Edit I mean where telling someone to choose royal as a starting class isnt bad advice.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 16, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Sorcery is actually insanely cool and good, friend.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If it's someone's first time playing a Souls game they should simply speedrun it, imo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

acksplode posted:

Yup I never got much content policing and I did OK. In my completely useless opinion as someone who's never raised a kid, the trick is guidance rather than sheltering. Media literacy is a learned skill. Although I guess I have to ding my parents for one thing: as a young child I had recurring nightmares featuring a distraught man wailing in despair at a destroyed bridge, and a woman's disembodied head floating out of a dark forest toward me. It wasn't until I was a teenager watching Evil Dead 2 for the "first" time that I realized where that poo poo came from.

Yeah I agree 100%. Not saying my upbringing in relation to media was perfect but the issues in general I have definitely don't come from there and the things that get me through are those exact same things I could've been sheltered from so :shrug: Certainly had fears and nightmares here and there but I was sort of addicted to that cycle anyway. "oh no this looks too scary *grabs off blockbuster shelf*. It really is all about communication and understanding, as difficult and complex as that can be. I'll be coping with life by way of horror movies and videogames for the rest of my life no doubt.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

IGN put up 19 minutes of SoR4's new survival mode and it looks fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4mkFXwNro

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I used to get all sorts of nightmares from terrifying films I watched as a kid and one night i dreamt our basement was flooded and I went down there and jaws was swimming around but also everything was on fire with the fire getting sucked back into the walls like in the movie Backdraft and also a velociraptor from Jurassic park and the terminator were there. After that I wished on a shooting star to never have another nightmare again and I havent had one since

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Fix posted:

IGN put up 19 minutes of SoR4's new survival mode and it looks fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4mkFXwNro

It is fun as hell!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh is it out already?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

My parents took me to see Starship Troopers when I was 7 lmao the 90s ruled so much!

This is funny, because my parents moved from England to the US shortly before I was born, and so I think that made them a bit more strict about letting me play games with guns because of how much gun violence there was and continues to be in the US compared to like none in England, and also I think I was like 7 when Columbine happened. But I remember going to a friends and I can vividly remember being horrified by this scene when the dude gets shot through the eye in training https://youtu.be/XKPuumm_bfs
and it nearly made me sick, and I think I went in another room and played Zelda. I’m sort of glad that my parents were like that, because I still don’t really play many games (or moreso FPS games, which I’ve never been into aside from Half Life 2/Alyx) that have guns in them and I also think it made me have a respect for violence and whatnot and also helped to shape my beliefs and politics as an adult.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 16, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fix posted:

Oh is it out already?

Yes and it's freakin' great. Streets of Rage is BACK, baby!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

The PS Direct link came through :toot:

yougotaps5.gif

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't realize Vince Zampella and some of the TF2 people had left Respawn to work for Dice on Battlefield 2042. That bodes even better for a game I am really really hoping turns out good.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Turns out the big effort part of raising other humans involves acknowledging their reality as other humans and not accessories is super effective in passing along the values you try to instill. Paradoxically, giving people the option to say no increases the chance of them eventually agreeing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Imhotep posted:

This is funny, because my parents moved from England to the US shortly before I was born, and so I think that made them a bit more strict about letting me play games with guns because of how much gun violence there was and continues to be in the US compared to like none in England, and also I think I was like 7 when Columbine happened. But I remember going to a friends and I can vividly remember being horrified by this scene when the dude gets shot through the eye in training https://youtu.be/XKPuumm_bfs
and it nearly made me sick, and I think I went in another room and played Zelda. I’m sort of glad that my parents were like that, because I still don’t really play many games (or moreso FPS games, which I’ve never been into aside from Half Life 2/Alyx) that have guns in them and I also think it made me have a respect for violence and whatnot and also helped to shape my beliefs and politics as an adult.

Holy poo poo I forgot about that scene!

I get what you’re saying for sure. In my situation I was raised by a vietnam vet (marine who spent his entire time in the jungles) and a mom who was like the feistiest most independent woman you could ever imagine. It was a wild time but very good since they loved me and were very involved in my interests and whatnot.

It is really amusing looking back on what I grew up with. I loved all my extremely american VIOLENCE VIOLENCE VIOLENCE forms of entertainment. I still do to be fair but I like being able to really look at it further along and go “oh okay so that’s what we were doing, huh” before I enjoy it again haha. Weird world, man. I’m glad us humans have ways to entertain ourselves and explore all these dark weird things in ways with no inherent harm.

Casnorf posted:

Turns out the big effort part of raising other humans involves acknowledging their reality as other humans and not accessories is super effective in passing along the values you try to instill. Paradoxically, giving people the option to say no increases the chance of them eventually agreeing.

:agreed:

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 16, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I started playing Control today. I played a couple hours but it hasn't really clicked with me yet, unlike Returnal, which sucked me right in. Does Control 'get better' or if it didn't click now, will it once I get deeper into it?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It gets better, the gameplay at the start is dull and occasionally frustrating until you start getting abilities that make it fun. It might be rough after Returnal though, I thought its gameplay was basically Control but make it good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I started playing Control today. I played a couple hours but it hasn't really clicked with me yet, unlike Returnal, which sucked me right in. Does Control 'get better' or if it didn't click now, will it once I get deeper into it?

the gameplay improves sharply once you start building up your psychic powers, if you haven't gotten telekinesis yet then keep going

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FYI for anyone playing Legends recently

https://twitter.com/suckerpunchprod/status/1416098660673155074?s=21

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh hell yes, I missed those the first time around. Thanks!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Sorcery is easy mode for Demon's

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

the gameplay improves sharply once you start building up your psychic powers, if you haven't gotten telekinesis yet then keep going

and in the game

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I decided to go with knight cuz it's on the box art and in the intro movie.

This here is Sir Grumplestilskins. Who will no doubt die many painful and stupid deaths.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been playing Tales of Berseria and it's really great. A friend told me to give it a go because you play as anime villains and I'm glad I finally installed it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My 80 year old dad went to go see Wolf of Wall Street with me because my friends had bailed. That turned out to be a choice, lmao.

So PS5 thread, I come to you because I have just purchased one of these toys. It will be arriving Sunday. I got the GameStop bundle so I’m getting Ratchet and I played Miles on PS4. I’m in the middle of Dark Souls 2 right now, so Demon’s isn’t an urgent buy, and I have no interest in Returnal.

What PS4 games are good on PS5? I don’t think the lists I’m seeing online are up to date because I know Sekiro got a framerate bump but I don’t see it listed. I’ve got a shrink wrapped copy of FF7R I can upgrade, and I’m gonna pay the $10 to upgrade Tony Hawk. Anything else I really need to revisit?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Days gone gets a solid upgrade (framereate and load times) on ps5. Plague tale is the free ps5 game this month w/ plus. Cyberpunk is actually playable.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I went into accessibility options, turned up the aim assist and turned off the reticle. The game is a blast when you can play super aggressive and mobile without needing to perfectly line up shots. Also the worldbuilding is insanely good once you get past the opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I could probably write a paper or something on the paradox of control. I have Thoughts. Hahahahaha! Guess I'll just throw that on the pile of Things To Make My Name With in case this latest gig ain't work out.