Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even if racial inequality was a problem how would overthrowing the Cuban government change that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

White anglos don't believe in white latinos, so Cubans are an undifferentiated mass of PoC as far as they're concerned.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean even if racial inequality was a problem how would overthrowing the Cuban government change that

My point was that racial inequality, as a growing problem, would become exponentially more severe if the American policy of "returning" property to those Cubans who left became a reality. Just them sending remittances is increasing inequality (because a huge proportion of the gusanos are white), imagine mandating that they receive their "property" that was given to them by Spain or a US puppet became a reality.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

joepinetree posted:

No, it doesn't. The idea that "Black Latin Americans" would be more in support of the blockade or of getting rid of the revolution is ridiculous. Racial inequality in Cuba is increasing because the people who fled are mostly white, and as they send remittances back they boost economic inequality in the island. The end of the embargo is currently conditioned on the returning of confiscated property to US citizens, which would be one of the greatest redistributions of wealth towards white families in recent memory.

US based liberals like to coopt the language of social justice to to precisely the reverse and boost American foreign policy. You can see this when they acted like "listening to people of color" was used as a way to support the coup against Evo.

that all makes a lot more sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

joepinetree posted:

My point was that racial inequality, as a growing problem, would become exponentially more severe if the American policy of "returning" property to those Cubans who left became a reality. Just them sending remittances is increasing inequality (because a huge proportion of the gusanos are white), imagine mandating that they receive their "property" that was given to them by Spain or a US puppet became a reality.

oh I know I’m saying the argument seems to rely on overthrowing the Cuban government would just solve every problem, like a movie

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

https://twitter.com/InADash/status/1415715218164961281

i honestly don't know about this ladies politics does what she's saying have any basis? my family in cuba is white and i don't actually know any of them personally except for a great aunt that used to come visit my grandma.

Why is she not even typing the word Cuba in full.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And all the people trying to minimize the embargo are ignorant pieces of poo poo.

A ship that docks in a Cuban port is prohibited from docking in a US port for 6 months.

Anyone who does business with Cuba can be sued in US courts by the former "owners" of property seized by the Cuban government.

The embargo includes foreign subsidiaries of any companies that do business in the US.

Cuba is facing oil shortages, which you'd find weird, since Venezuela is an ally. But it turns out that the US embargo makes it pretty hard to get that oil to Cuba. Because even if a tanker company, or a Venezuelan tanker is willing to do that, the US punishes anyone who provides any sort of repairs or assistant to that company. If a Brazilian or Venezuelan tanker takes oil to Cuba, the US will sanction anyone who provides repairs or docking for that tanker.

And a reminder that the key feature of the embargo in US law is that it only ends when the Cuban government returns or compensates the former owners of seized property.

Anyone who is all "oh the embargo isn't the problem" or "well, we should just have democracy first" is being a useful idiot in a plot to pillage an Island that has distinct tones of the pillaging of Haiti.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Cubx

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's not even consistent sometimes it's C*ba other times it's Cub* or C*b*

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

i think it's so it won't show up in searches. i see a lot of hot takers do it so their mentions can survive.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Free markets solve inequality, duh

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

supporting anticommunist coups and the inevitable subsequent mass murders is a small price to pay to own twitter tankies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US watches shipping in the Caribbean closely in case ships try to break their rules
https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1201888020967952384?s=20

quote:

The Biden administration is urging Venezuela and Cuba to turn away two Iranian warships believed to be carrying arms intended for transfer to Caracas, while vowing that the U.S. will take “appropriate measures” to deter what it sees as a “threat” to America’s partners in the Western Hemisphere.

The warnings — some public and some private, according to three people briefed on the situation — come as the vessels have traveled a significant distance across the Atlantic Ocean. A senior Biden administration official said the ships are thought to be carrying weapons to fulfill a deal that Iran and Venezuela made a year ago, noting that it was during the administration of former President Donald Trump.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/09/venezuela-cuba-iran-ships-492602

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
has anyone said gusanx yet

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/InADash/status/1416052753357578247

lmao

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I watched A Few Good Men the other day since I'd never actually seen the whole thing, and man pre-9/11 America was wild. Even though it was made after the fall of the Soviet Union, they portray Cuba as the most dangerous place on Earth. Jack Nicholson says he's risking his life "up on that wall" every day protecting America. When Tom Cruise lands at Guantanamo, they make him put on a camo jacket cause "the Cubans would love to pick off an officer".

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

venezuelan thugs, flavored w russians

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

see if you take them literally and at their word and never read any books about anything that takes place in the 20th century they just mean like... putting america first

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i wonder why they love america so much, beats the gently caress out of me y'all

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Office Pig posted:

they'll be earnestly posting about Red Dawn becoming real before too long.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Euphoriaphone posted:

I watched A Few Good Men the other day since I'd never actually seen the whole thing, and man pre-9/11 America was wild. Even though it was made after the fall of the Soviet Union, they portray Cuba as the most dangerous place on Earth. Jack Nicholson says he's risking his life "up on that wall" every day protecting America. When Tom Cruise lands at Guantanamo, they make him put on a camo jacket cause "the Cubans would love to pick off an officer".

Lol I was thinking about that movie the other day for that exact reason.

The trial is over the commanding officer ordering the murder of a US soldier because he was a substandard soldier that put the lives of everyone else at risk.

Think even the lawyers even have a discussion about how they do want those men on the wall protecting them.

Nicholson’s monologue is about providing freedom to the American people by being at the Cuban base. Total psycho thinking that the lawyers never question. Just that his methods were too extreme.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Reminder that A Few Good Men was written by the historically illiterate psycho imperialist Aaron Sorkin. Watch Charlie Wilson's War if you want to grind your teeth down a bit

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Office Pig posted:

murder with the taste of sugared russian cranberries. so devilish, yet so delicious

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its funny because the ones going around murdering people in other countries are...Colombians, which are American allies....

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
you notice that an external / outside force has to be holding the regime together. in venezuela, it was "cuban agents" who were plying their tricks. now, in cuba, things would just fall apart were it not for imported venezuelan "thugs" and makarov-wielding slavic doorknockers

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Whats the actual crimes the Cuban government is accused of committing these days that they need to be toppled? I remember reading Castro's autobiography and he apologizes and recognizes the harms done to the LGBT community, and legally LGBTQ people have better legal recognition in Cuba than in some parts of the US, so its not that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ughhhh posted:

Whats the actual crimes the Cuban government is accused of committing these days that they need to be toppled? I remember reading Castro's autobiography and he apologizes and recognizes the harms done to the LGBT community, and legally LGBTQ people have better legal recognition in Cuba than in some parts of the US, so its not that.

human rights abuses

what does that mean? nobody knows :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ughhhh posted:

nationwide, they've arrested and maimed an amount of people - and this is according to like obvious botnets and CIA weirdos - equivalent to about 2 hours in Portland last summer

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Office Pig posted:

Tom Clancy is real

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

ughhhh posted:

uhhh, historically and still to this day the Cuban goverment tends to be really lovely towards Afro-Cuban religions, esp in the far east of the country where the majority of the poor rural black population live. Not that the Cuban goverment should be toppled or anything, but like all states they do some lovely things. no one is perfect etc etc

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

gradenko_2000 posted:

AOC being a Kennedy intern explains a lot about her views on Cuba
I hated George Bush and interned at Bob Menendez's 2006 reelection campaign when I didn't know any better because I wanted Bush to lose the midterms and this was the pre-Obama period when things still seemed kind of exciting.

I support the Cuban government and regret ever supporting Menendez.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Elon Musk, the people of Cuba need you
https://twitter.com/GianniDalerta/status/1414968361570738181?s=20
https://twitter.com/Maite9807/status/1413689332855099392?s=20

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

AOC being a Kennedy intern explains a lot about her views on Cuba

in his foreign policy office, specifically

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

e double post

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the people of cuba need gamer chairs and low ping to microsoft and sony servers

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I fuckin’ called it lmao

animist
Aug 28, 2018

ughhhh posted:

they don't respect "democracy", ie capitalism

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Ran into this nice thread that looks into the the most likely roots of the recent cuban hullabaloo.

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1416133802011897857
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1416144766220308491

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm just glad it fizzled the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

I'm just glad it fizzled the gently caress out

umm there’s actually like some really hosed up poo poo going on but i guess y’all just don’t care about it??

https://twitter.com/hennyxpapi/status/1416096714323333124?s=21