Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"Turning Red" is a play on words on getting embarrassed and literally turning into a red panda.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/jason1749/status/1416078735879643137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Zero One posted:

"Turning Red" is a play on words on getting embarrassed and literally turning into a red panda.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/jason1749/status/1416078735879643137

"Foghorn Leghorn is Khaleesi" is now my latest intrusive thought.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pospysyl posted:

for me it's gonna be Granny as Trinity from The Matrix

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely want to know why they're called the 'tune squad' when...the other guys are the 'goon squad'...isn't 'goon vs toon' the better thing?

Because the IP is Looney Tunes not Looney Toons. The name doesn’t make a lot of sense these days but if you go way back to the early 30’s every short was meant to showcase a song from the Warner Bros library. That didn’t last long as the shorts became more about the popular characters but the name stuck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mycot posted:

Someone rich and powerful out there desperately wants the idea of an "internet movie" to work, this is like attempt #3 (the Wreck It Ralph sequel, the Emoji Movie).

Ralph Breaks the Internet is great so f u

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Because the IP is Looney Tunes not Looney Toons. The name doesn’t make a lot of sense these days but if you go way back to the early 30’s every short was meant to showcase a song from the Warner Bros library. That didn’t last long as the shorts became more about the popular characters but the name stuck.

Weren’t they called Merry Melodies or something back then or was that a separate thing also by the same company?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Larryb posted:

Weren’t they called Merry Melodies or something back then or was that a separate thing also by the same company?

yea I thought those were separate things, like you had Looney Toons and also Merry Melodies for the song stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I’ve been hearing Lola somehow has even LESS to do here than she did in the first movie. Was Zendaya’s performance alright at least?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Larryb posted:

Kind of a separate thing by the same company. IIRC, Looney Tunes had a consistent cast of characters (like Porky and Daffy) while the earlier Merry Melodies had new cartoon characters for every short. That distinction didn't last very long, though.

Both were riffing on Disney's Silly Symphonies.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 16, 2021

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don’t wanna watch the new space jam b/c it looks awful but I do wanna learn as much as I can about it due to morbid fascination

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
IIIIIIII haaaaaate caaaaaaapitalismmmmmm.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And it’s looking like it’s going to bomb terribly

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1415378100108550147?s=21

($160 million budget, for reference)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Like, I think it looks bad, as someone who LIKES the first Space Jam, but the fact of the matter is I'm not gonna subscribe to HBO Max for it. I have Netflix and I have Disney+ and if something isn't on either of those then I just won't be watching it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the X-Men did superhero school first back in the 60s or so. The premise of MHA is even pretty much X-Men with the human/mutant ratio more or less inverted.

The show is suvh pale fascimile of whats good about superhero comics.

It also avoids whats completely lovely about them so

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Yeah I get where you’re coming from. I work in animation so I’m also super cynical about a lot of the decisions. But this film looks to me like about an immigrant experience in Canada which gels with the directors heritage. Was she chosen for the role to make Bao and then this because they wanted something to appeal to Chinese audiences? Maybe. A lot of the time Hollywood’s pandering attempts don’t work though. Just look at how Shang Chi might not even get aired in China cause of issues over its sensitivity toward the material.

Stuff like Wish Dragon (Aladdin but in China!) or that yeti movie Dreamworks released seem a lot more pandery.

Two things. One, Wish Dragon was great.

Second, what is Shang Chi doing that would upset the Chinese government?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

perepelki posted:

i was headed for a career in animation until my hosed up spine forbade it (i can only use a computer for ~10 minutes at a time so lol) and now conditions inside the industry are more transparent, every day i thank my vertebrae for their service

This is a bit personal but curious what you can do instead considering sitting down in front of computers is so integral to braindead white collar work.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

From what I’ve been hearing Lola somehow has even LESS to do here than she did in the first movie. Was Zendaya’s performance alright at least?

She had a good performance, and Lola had more to do than most the rest of the cast.

Her introduction scene was actually one of the highlights of the movie, I liked it a whole lot.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Shageletic posted:

This is a bit personal but curious what you can do instead considering sitting down in front of computers is so integral to braindead white collar work.
tell me about it lmao the best part is that i got a whole graphic design degree that i now cannot use

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vandar posted:

She had a good performance, and Lola had more to do than most the rest of the cast.

Her introduction scene was actually one of the highlights of the movie, I liked it a whole lot.

yea one of the only times they actually did something with the whole 'different WB worlds' thing, they put her in a motion-comic style Wonder Woman story of her doing the gauntlet from WW84 and it's a nice style that actually looks unique and has a better introduction than...I think her just showing up in the first Space Jam? Like she just kinda walked in all 'I'm the rabbit with tits, hello'?

I'd call it a wash on 'what she does', like I said before she's for some reason the only one of them who remembers how to play basketball so she and LeBron are the team leaders by default, she doesn't really contribute a ton but she's just kinda...there doing things a lot, which is not much but it's about what everyone else does.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There is a medium. Maybe she teaches sports at the community college to elmer fudd, who is terrible at them

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You gotta remember, nobody in this movie does anything. It opens by introducing LeBron having trouble connecting with his son, some unrelated things happen involving Loony Tunes, there's a basketball game, and then he connects with his son in the last ten minutes. This is not a movie where people do things, toon or not.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

pospysyl posted:

see I thought this was just shitposting because there was no way the movie would do something like that. I am heartbroken to be wrong

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hawkperson posted:

see I thought this was just shitposting because there was no way the movie would do something like that. I am heartbroken to be wrong
Okay, now this is sounding more like Tails Gets Trolled and I’m interested again, lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

You gotta remember, nobody in this movie does anything. It opens by introducing LeBron having trouble connecting with his son, some unrelated things happen involving Loony Tunes, there's a basketball game, and then he connects with his son in the last ten minutes. This is not a movie where people do things, toon or not.

I feel like this is a theme with these movies that are basically the visualisation of various marketing departments' collective wank fantasies as they share lines of cocaine.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Having seen the original movie in a theater when it opened, there are other things I would like to watch first before attending the second film:

-Donald Trump playing Hamlet
-A tribute to The Shaggs performed by Nickelback
-a rap performed to the April 1926 Congressional Record
-the "Faces of Death" series with the volume turned up to 11
-an enema-focused Lemon Party
-your mom at a Donkey Show
-a John Wayne Gacy-themed children's party
-a shotgun blast to my face
-the heat death of the universe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/SuperFoxcade/status/1416161427027501060?s=20

What is this pacing, what is this editing?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 17, 2021

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it’s a real mess pacing-wise. the basketball game is the entire second half of the movie, you think it’s done, but then you realize there’s 20 more minutes left and don cheadle turns into a jrpg boss

the best thing about the new space jam are the extras wb had to hire and dress up like characters from other, better movies

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

Someone rich and powerful out there desperately wants the idea of an "internet movie" to work, this is like attempt #3 (the Wreck It Ralph sequel, the Emoji Movie).

Also Warner Bros. really really REALLY wants the kind of brand identification Disney has. They've been thirsty for it for a long time.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
"Warner" was said so many times in the first half of the movie (we didn't continue). Did the original mention Warner Bros at all?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also Warner Bros. really really REALLY wants the kind of brand identification Disney has. They've been thirsty for it for a long time.

And it's going about as well as Playstation All-Stars.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

What the hell

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This movie looks awful

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
AWFULLY LIKE IM GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME WATCHING IT AND LAUGHING AT IT

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That clip just made me want a Rick and Morty movie more than it made me want to watch Space Jam 2

Seriously give R&M a theatrical animation budget, I wanna see them go hog wild with the backgrounds

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Don’t worry you’ll be thoroughly sick of Rick and Morty by the time they do a movie

For real though I think the absolute worst thing you can tell Dan Harmon is “you’ve been renewed for three more seasons! You can do anything you want!”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:shrug: I still like Rick and Morty

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Bugs bunny sacrifices his life to save humanity

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Where do they get gossimer? It feels like they show up suddenly?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Calico Heart posted:

Don’t worry you’ll be thoroughly sick of Rick and Morty by the time they do a movie

For real though I think the absolute worst thing you can tell Dan Harmon is “you’ve been renewed for three more seasons! You can do anything you want!”

Good thing no one said that then (it was renewed for 70 more episodes when they only had 40 in the bag. Probably another 7 seasons).

I think the show hits more than it misses, but...that's a lot of fuckin show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

PenguinKnight posted:

the best thing about the new space jam are the extras wb had to hire and dress up like characters from other, better movies

This is the truth. I was just pausing throughout to look at the terrible Party City costumes they gave to some them. Even better, sometimes they have them front and center, like not Danny DeVito penguin, and not Arnold Schartzenegger Mr. Freeze, and they all just stand there, endlessly cheering for nothing.