Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The expansion draft is coming! And you have an opportunity to win fabulous prizes!

How do I Play?
On July 17th the NHL will release a list of players from which the Seattle Kraken will choose to compose their first NHL roster. According to the NHL rules they will be selecting one player from each team other than the Vegas Golden Knights. They will be picking at minimum 14 forwards, 9 defenceman, and 3 goalies. Of the 30 players they choose, at least 20 must be under contract for next season.

Your challenge will be to also select a team from the available players, within the NHL rules (including salary cap rules). You will do this on a google form that will be posted as shortly after the protected lists are released. The form will also have a couple of tie-breaker questions. I will close selections either at the time of the draft (7PM EST on July 21st), or earlier if someone starts seriously leaking all the picks. This is a good incentive to get in early!

You can find a more thorough description of the rules on Capfriendly's site here, as well as an expansion draft tool that you could find either helpful or confusing.

What do I win?
There are two ways to win!!!

(1) All posters whose selections are closest to Seattle's actual selections will win a free forums upgrade, which I encourage you to spend on a Kraken themed avatar marking you as Seattle's first forums superfan.

(2) For the poster whose selections do the best over the course of the 2021-2022 season, you will win a fantastic selection of Seattle Kraken merch!!!

(3) There may also be secret prizes throughout the year. I dunno, I haven't decided yet.

How are points scored for the big prize?

I'm glad you asked!

For all players it will be the following:

2 points for a goal
1 point for an assist
0.1 points for a shot
-0.2 points per PIM

For goalies it will be:

2 points for a win
0.02 points per save
-0.1 per goal against

What else do I need to know?

Have fun!!!

The Selection Link

Choose Your Mightiest Warriors entries now closed

The full list of protected and available players

The Scores Link

Assuming I've done this correctly, should be here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Neat. I'm in.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Submit early, but don't submit too early, or else you end up like me during the Vegas expansion contest reading on a bus at 7AM in the morning that Dale Tallon was trading Marchessault and Reilly Smith to protect Petrovic and realizing you were completely hosed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sounds fun. I hope I remember to do this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As someone who knows nothing about hockey (because I've lived in Seattle for most of my life) and desperately wants to win this (because I've lived in Seattle for most of my life), what stats should I be looking at when I'm not just going with what sports commentators are saying when looking at players?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yaya posted:

Submit early, but don't submit too early, or else you end up like me during the Vegas expansion contest reading on a bus at 7AM in the morning that Dale Tallon was trading Marchessault and Reilly Smith to protect Petrovic and realizing you were completely hosed.

It's another exciting dynamic: you can hold out to try see the insane protection trades that happen but risk getting owned when picks start leaking and I have to close submissions.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
For true nerds, CapFriendly has an expansion draft simulator, if you want to try to predict protected lists too.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Me and my complete lack of knowledge of teams bottom half of rosters are in!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm a proud Kraken season ticket owner who knows nothing about hockey. I'm in.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^ oh hell yeah! welcome new Seattle fans! I am definitely going to be visiting your city to catch a game in their first season.

yeah I'll play for sure

the trick is to not think about the names you are selecting or do any real analysis.. just pick based on your gut and name recognition. This will put you in the same mindset as a real NHL front office.

**For clarification: "(2) For the poster whose selections do the best over the course of the 2021-2022 season, you will win a fantastic selection of Seattle Kraken merch!!!"

is this specifically for players who are correctly predicted to be selected by the Kraken? like.. you sum up the points of the players on Seattle your predicted? or are you summing points for players on any teams.. I'm just asking because predicting point totals is not necessarily the same thing as predicting the players Seattle will take..

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 11, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The grand prize is, of course, available to all contestants who enter a legal team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I would like one (1) entry in this fun game and am posting so I see the thread is has replies to remind me to participate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Looking forward to making all the wrong choices again, and also playing this game

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
well heck if I can remember I'll jump in on this business

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Gonna expose how dumb I am in this game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
lol you and me both

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If anyone wants to cheat*, 538 has posted an initial roundup of some possibilities:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-seattle-kraken-have-an-expansion-blueprint-can-they-follow-vegas-and-build-a-winner/

*-Note 538 only really started covering hockey this year and they have some... interesting statistical biases

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: in reference to the worst referee of the current era being "fired" for the saying the quiet part.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Okay a link to the selection form is now in the OP. The lists aren't in yet but I'm not going to be around the computer later tonight. So if you must submit your list, remember to choose responsibly.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hand Knit posted:

Okay a link to the selection form is now in the OP. The lists aren't in yet but I'm not going to be around the computer later tonight. So if you must submit your list, remember to choose responsibly.

This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organisation?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

tarbrush posted:

This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organisation?

Oh no. I will try fix it when I get home. Try to not forget your team in the mean time!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'll jump in

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Okay, I think I fixed it and it's now accessible by all.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/15205

Protected and available lists are now up. You have all the information you need to make your selections.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

A good source to add to the OP is CapFriendly's Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator.

They haven't updated it so that the protected/available list is already set as what it is, but you can manually do that and then you can draft while knowing the cap implications as you go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
to clarify: i assume we have to be cap compliant ?

also, if a player like Ovie is avvailable, but its obvious seattle won't take him, is he still pick able ?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

to clarify: i assume we have to be cap compliant ?

also, if a player like Ovie is avvailable, but its obvious seattle won't take him, is he still pick able ?

The OP posted:

Your challenge will be to also select a team from the available players, within the NHL rules.

Free agents are pickable, but overall 20 of the 30 selected players have to be currently under contract.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fawning deference posted:

A good source to add to the OP is CapFriendly's Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator.

They haven't updated it so that the protected/available list is already set as what it is, but you can manually do that and then you can draft while knowing the cap implications as you go.

I'm going to wait until they update the thing to make it easier.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It looks like they have it updated now.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1416799936017014784?s=20

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i tried to predict what the kraken will actually do not make the "best" team. they're probably gonna win more games than the kings, sharks, canucks and ducks year one

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Sounds fun. How does the cap work for dudes like Landeskog who are pickable but we have no idea what their contract is going to look like?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Sounds fun. How does the cap work for dudes like Landeskog who are pickable but we have no idea what their contract is going to look like?

I checked this through with the capfriendly simulator, and Gabriel Landeskog currently has the cap hit of his contract expiring in a few days ($5,571,429)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’m finding this really hard, I joked about not knowing the bottom half of rosters, but what I didn’t realise was how many of the players I have heard of are now old and bad..

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

This is really hard when you get down to the depth/prospect part and there are guys like Burp and Kronk, and then you try to find some news about these guys and it's like "Burp is a 25 year old with 6 games of NHL experience who is unlikely to do anything at this point. No chance of Seattle taking him." and "Kronk is a 25 year old with 6 games of NHL experience with terrific untapped potential. I can't believe the Blevils left him exposed, there is surely a side deal in place."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I checked this through with the capfriendly simulator, and Gabriel Landeskog currently has the cap hit of his contract expiring in a few days ($5,571,429)

I've taken him and tried to leave enough cap space for a 10m/yr contract

I also took Ryan Johansen which I guess was a bad idea?! but I think is more likely than Duchene or Tarasenko

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I put in my entry, My team comes in at 52 million on the cap currently but with 8 RFA / UFA contracts to sign it will be comfortably over the minimum.

I went for what Starsfan would do if he were the GM of the Kraken more than what I think Ron Francis will do or what the maximum number of theoretical points you could pick for next year is :D

**If you are struggling on filling out your roster I would probably start by picking the 10-20 or w/e selections you feel confident in, and then looking up the mock expansion drafts that websites like the athletic and evolving hockey have put out to get some ideas on the remaining teams of which players are in contention. There will be more of these mock drafts to come out in the next couple days too :)

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 19, 2021

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Can (should?) we post our teams here?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I done broked the Simulator. I'm getting $NaN/(cap floor/ceiling) now.

VOTE1 posted:

I’m finding this really hard, I joked about not knowing the bottom half of rosters, but what I didn’t realise was how many of the players I have heard of are now old and bad..

There are some teams where the entire roster is garbage and finding even one player to pick is tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

CBJSprague24 posted:

I done broked the Simulator. I'm getting $NaN/(cap floor/ceiling) now.

There are some teams where the entire roster is garbage and finding even one player to pick is tough.

poor san jose