Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

VegasGoat posted:

As for VR relevant content, I'm really into Synth Riders lately. Can anyone recommend some good custom songs that aren't super hard? Seems most of the ones I download only have expert/master.
"Friend like me Electro Swing remix" is my jam, not too long and a fun dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm a Synth Riders newbie as well and the custom songs I've had fun dancing to on normal / hard are:

Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Gorillaz - Dare
Bee Gees - Stayin Alive
Daõi Freyr - Think About Things
Taylor Swift - Shake It Off
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now

A lot of that's informed by my own tastes though so ymmv. I've also found that higher difficulties aren't as impenetrable as they are on Beat Saber - both Toxic and Juice were fun to flail around to on no fail mode and I'm sure there's others

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry just wanted to note as a respiratory guy that you should take steps to not breathe in ozone if possible. I'm sure you aren't sitting in your car while you run it or something but in case you aren't already, you'll want to make sure you ventilate the garage more than you'd think you should before you go into that space if it's got a lot of O3 around.

I appreciate the concern but while I'm dumb as hell, I'm not a dumb rear end. My cars are outside of any building, shut tight, with a timer. I let the car sit with the ozone inside overnight. Next day I open all the doors and vent anything left to atmosphere, then I sniff and see. Repeat as needed.

But yeah to anyone else looking to ozone a stinky thing: don't breathe ozone. The reason it works so well is the same reason why it will gently caress up your own organic breathing parts.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
poo poo, done a fersh install and im getting the black frame then crash issue on Quest 2 Airlink. And worst part is I cant rememver how I fixed it last time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

But yeah to anyone else looking to ozone a stinky thing: don't breathe ozone. The reason it works so well is the same reason why it will gently caress up your own organic breathing parts.

I've seen people swear by it for cars, but I've also seen ozone cause plastics to crumble into dust, so I'm hesitant to trust it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zero VGS posted:

I've seen people swear by it for cars, but I've also seen ozone cause plastics to crumble into dust, so I'm hesitant to trust it.

They are doing it for far, far too long. Any car I do it in is at least 25 years old, almost always older, and I've never had any issue with the ancient plastics inside them.

There isn't anything better for fabrics or foam that I've found.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, after about 72 hours under a fan, an overnight stay with a bowl of vinegar, a wipedown with vinegar and a spritzing of febreze, the VapeRift is smelling pretty decent.

It mostly smells like febreze now, which should disappear in a couple days.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZmDI2YF6c

The new game of Sairento devs.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
But where is the broom?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Room VR was a revelation for me. Are there any other VR puzzle kinda games like that (yes I've played all the other Room games)? I'm trying to play Xing: a Land Beyond but I have a reverb g2 with those controllers and I haven't found a good way of controlling the game yet with custom binds.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

VelociBacon posted:

The Room VR was a revelation for me. Are there any other VR puzzle kinda games like that (yes I've played all the other Room games)? I'm trying to play Xing: a Land Beyond but I have a reverb g2 with those controllers and I haven't found a good way of controlling the game yet with custom binds.

If you're wanting a really well done escape room experience, take a look at this completely free offering in VRchat https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_1c5f5bc7-c4d8-4dbb-a09e-83d5b9aaebfb which is goddamn anazing quality considering the limitations of the platform.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Frobbe posted:

If you're wanting a really well done escape room experience, take a look at this completely free offering in VRchat https://vrchat.com/home/world/wrld_1c5f5bc7-c4d8-4dbb-a09e-83d5b9aaebfb which is goddamn anazing quality considering the limitations of the platform.

Thanks! I'm not necessarily looking for an escape room experience but just the way that you interact with stuff in that game is insanely satisfying and the storytelling was fantastic. I've found so far in the week or two that I've had VR that the games are either shock value action games, simulation games of varying fidelity, rhythm games, or I guess these type of puzzle/adventure games. I'm really interested in any RPG games that might exist in the space (VR specific ones, not skyrim VR etc).

I'm at work now but I'll check that out. I don't really know what VRchat is at this point.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
So I got suspended for a 100 years from VRchat for modified client. So someone had been using my name and password in the year since I last played? nice

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I need to go back to finish it but I agree that the room VR really is one of the better VR games I've played so far. It's a simple game but they perfected that tactile feel of messin around with stuff even on the phone versions, so considering flipping switches and picking up stuff is one of the more natural things to do in VR it just works. My one big complaint is a general Room complaint and that's that I don't love the supernatural see through the eyepiece puzzles which this game has a lot of.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks! I'm not necessarily looking for an escape room experience but just the way that you interact with stuff in that game is insanely satisfying and the storytelling was fantastic. I've found so far in the week or two that I've had VR that the games are either shock value action games, simulation games of varying fidelity, rhythm games, or I guess these type of puzzle/adventure games. I'm really interested in any RPG games that might exist in the space (VR specific ones, not skyrim VR etc).

I'm at work now but I'll check that out. I don't really know what VRchat is at this point.

Asgard's Wrath is a big RPG with parry-based combat, puzzle elements, companions with puzzle-related abilities, multiple perspectives between being a regular human/towering Norse God, and lots of random collectible stuff you craft into better gear for you and your companions

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

Asgard's Wrath is a big RPG with parry-based combat, puzzle elements, companions with puzzle-related abilities, multiple perspectives between being a regular human/towering Norse God, and lots of random collectible stuff you craft into better gear for you and your companions

Thanks, this looks amazing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I posted about this before but if you don't have an oculus device then google oculus revive for compatibility drivers for steamvr via openvr.

As asgards wrath is an oculus exclusive.

Vader Immortal is pretty good too and worth trying, even if it's more of an action-adventure game than anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I posted about this before but if you don't have an oculus device then google oculus revive for compatibility drivers for steamvr via openvr.

Vader Immortal is pretty good too and worth trying, even if it's more of an action-adventure game than anything.

Hm yeah I do have revive, you need to have the oculus software/account as well then to play the oculus exclusive titles? IE running in the background minimized? I did install it then got super turned off by the FB integration as I don't use FB at all. I'll check out vader immortal. Ty.

e:

vvv got it, sounds good. I just hope the reverb g2 controllers aren't a huge pita to map to necessary binds.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 19, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

VelociBacon posted:

Hm yeah I do have revive, you need to have the oculus software/account as well then to play the oculus exclusive titles? IE running in the background minimized? I did install it then got super turned off by the FB integration as I don't use FB at all. I'll check out vader immortal. Ty.

Yeah you need to login into it, though it adds the oculus games to your steam library and it runs the store automatically from Steam if you try to play them, so no need to keep it running constantly.

Just treat it like the ubisoft store or whatever.

There's no real facebook integration from within the games that I can tell.

e: It only adds the game to the VR library not the desktop steam one, since it's done via a plugin.

In other words you can either run the games by running SteamVR first and then choosing them from VR, or by running the revive menu and launching them from desktop.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

VelociBacon posted:

vvv got it, sounds good. I just hope the reverb g2 controllers aren't a huge pita to map to necessary binds.

YMMV, but it worked fine without remapping with my WMR controllers.

My list of must play VR titles goes something like this:

- Asgards Wrath
- Vader Immortal
- HL Alyx
- Blade & Sorcery
- No Mans Sky (no need to buy a special VR version)
- Jet Island
- Google Earth VR
- Skyrim VR
- Superhot VR [e]
- The Lab [e]

As for escape room games in particular both "I expect you to die" and "Job Simulator" are pretty decent.

e: Apologies for editing again, but superhot vr and the lab definitely deserve a spot in the list too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 19, 2021

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Re: puzzle games

I bought the "Form" for like 4€ or something low like that and was a 40 minutes interesting experience.
The puzzles arent hard (hardly puzzles imo) but for that price i cant complain and i liked it. Check out some videos to see if you like it, its 70% off on steam atm.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Private Speech posted:

As for escape room games in particular both "I expect you to die" and "Job Simulator" are pretty decent.

I would also add on to this The Room VR, Vacation Simulator, and Abode/Abode 2 are both nice escape room games.

For my own list, what are some other good escape room style games? I've done IEYTD, The Room VR, and have heard middling accounts of Rogue Escape. I don't want any horror games so I've actually passed up Red Matter, but if anybody can confirm there's no jump scares I might give it a try.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One of my big takeaways from some developer commentary was that shock scares & jump scares are WAYYYYY too easy to do in VR. Easy as in "the player really is handicapped in many ways, and it's super easy to take advantage of that in an unfair way."

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gotta say I'm disappointed this isn't a doom inspired VR version of minesweeper.

VelociBacon posted:

Closest to the room is probably "I expect you to die", it has a campy 60's spy film feel, and you have to solve puzzles and complete each scenario, learning from your deaths. It also has a sequel coming out soon, unless its already out and i missed it.

Its not like the room really with as much to fiddle about with, but "Obduction" has full VR support including for motion controls. Its from the creators of Myst and has a similar vibe to things, and is quite a good puzzle game, though I know some people have had performance issues as it wasn't something initially designed around VR. Wonderful atmosphere to it.

The Talos principle is another that has a full VR version available and is often on sale you could keep an eye out for.

Something with some basic puzzle solving but lots of interactions that you might want to check out as well is "Lone Echo". At this point more people know the multiplayer mode as its free, but the original game is still maybe my favorite VR game due to the world it puts you in, the story, and just how much they nailed the control and movement. It doesn't hurt either that even 4 years on from its release, probably the only VR game with better graphics is HL Alyx.

Its hard not to overstate how much they knocked out of the park for a 2017 VR release.

Also, if you can catch it on a big sale, "wilson's heart" is still pretty enjoyable. Its 100% focused on close in hand interactions with stuff, though unlike Lone Echo it shows its age as a 2017 VR game with its mechanics, like no free movement. Its also really easy, but as a ~5 hour interactive film experience, its a pretty fun romp through a classic 50's horror movie world. Also your character is voiced by Robocop, so its got that going for it.

Still, as far as that one, despite really enjoying it at the time, I wouldn't pick it up in 2021 unless its on sale.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Gotta say I'm disappointed this isn't a doom inspired VR version of minesweeper.

Closest to the room is probably "I expect you to die", it has a campy 60's spy film feel, and you have to solve puzzles and complete each scenario, learning from your deaths. It also has a sequel coming out soon, unless its already out and i missed it.

Its not like the room really with as much to fiddle about with, but "Obduction" has full VR support including for motion controls. Its from the creators of Myst and has a similar vibe to things, and is quite a good puzzle game, though I know some people have had performance issues as it wasn't something initially designed around VR. Wonderful atmosphere to it.

The Talos principle is another that has a full VR version available and is often on sale you could keep an eye out for.

Something with some basic puzzle solving but lots of interactions that you might want to check out as well is "Lone Echo". At this point more people know the multiplayer mode as its free, but the original game is still maybe my favorite VR game due to the world it puts you in, the story, and just how much they nailed the control and movement. It doesn't hurt either that even 4 years on from its release, probably the only VR game with better graphics is HL Alyx.

Its hard not to overstate how much they knocked out of the park for a 2017 VR release.

Also, if you can catch it on a big sale, "wilson's heart" is still pretty enjoyable. Its 100% focused on close in hand interactions with stuff, though unlike Lone Echo it shows its age as a 2017 VR game with its mechanics, like no free movement. Its also really easy, but as a ~5 hour interactive film experience, its a pretty fun romp through a classic 50's horror movie world. Also your character is voiced by Robocop, so its got that going for it.

Still, as far as that one, despite really enjoying it at the time, I wouldn't pick it up in 2021 unless its on sale.

Since people can FINALLY play some of this god drat game. Its so good. Ive been playing the thing over the 3 or so years hes been making it and jesus its so good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1365940/Eye_of_the_Temple_First_Steps/

Wishlist, etc. It'll come out eventually. Hes kind of a perfectionist lol.

Indiana Jones VR puzzle game.
Yep.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Can you do Asgard's Wrath on a Quest 2? It lists only Rift and Rift S.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Elendil004 posted:

Only through Link (a Quest connected by Link is treated as a Rift), it isn't on the Quest natively.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I can do it through AirLink but then they updated AirLink and now I get black screens and constant WiFi drops :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

njsykora posted:

Only through Link (a Quest connected by Link is treated as a Rift), it isn't on the Quest natively.

lol so dumb, thank you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Is it possible to do this through Virtual Desktop through a Quest 2? AirLink is pretty poo poo for me right now and I like Virtual Desktop, so if I can work around that somehow when it's not working... I could play my Oculus-exclusive game through my Oculus headset until my USB PCI-E card gets here or I figure out how to fix AirLink

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Anyone playing township tale on quest? Seems not terrible so far.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

thecluckmeme posted:

Is it possible to do this through Virtual Desktop through a Quest 2? AirLink is pretty poo poo for me right now and I like Virtual Desktop, so if I can work around that somehow when it's not working... I could play my Oculus-exclusive game through my Oculus headset until my USB PCI-E card gets here or I figure out how to fix AirLink

Yes, that's how I was playing it before AirLink came out

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How do game resolutions work for the Quest 2?

I'm running project wingman on 1920x1080p on 150% rendering quality or whatever and it is still somewhat blurry and dim. The dimness is probably a gamma issue.

I fixed the hud desync though.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I've decided to get rid of my Pimax and go back to my Index because of the weird focal length and the comfort factor. It kinda sucks, since it really does make things look way better to have the FOV and the crazy resolution, but it's annoying to adjust and get it right, and the focal length makes you feel like you're looking at a screen close to your face. The Index, in spite of the FOV, just feels vastly more immersive. Oh well.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Blade Runner posted:

I've decided to get rid of my Pimax and go back to my Index because of the weird focal length and the comfort factor. It kinda sucks, since it really does make things look way better to have the FOV and the crazy resolution, but it's annoying to adjust and get it right, and the focal length makes you feel like you're looking at a screen close to your face. The Index, in spite of the FOV, just feels vastly more immersive. Oh well.

To celebrate why not shoot some nazi balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyc8LDPWBjo

For some insane reason I was 100% focused on getting cool headshots until I came across this video. This should have been my first instinct...I have betrayed myself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone playing township tale on quest? Seems not terrible so far.

I got through the tutorial which took me awhile since some things weren’t explained very well (at least for my dumb brain). Then I stumbled through making a server and got to the town and saw a bunch more checklists of stuff to do that I wasn’t sure about how to do and called it a night. It’s not bad, but it still feels very early access to me.

I hear there’s a bunch of Youtube tutorial out there and I’ll probably get back to it when I get around to looking at some of those. Or join a public server and learn from people.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Nuts and Gum posted:

To celebrate why not shoot some nazi balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyc8LDPWBjo

For some insane reason I was 100% focused on getting cool headshots until I came across this video. This should have been my first instinct...I have betrayed myself.

Powerful username/post combo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
mods can I get a name change to nuts and gun? ty.

:balldo:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I got through the tutorial which took me awhile since some things weren’t explained very well (at least for my dumb brain). Then I stumbled through making a server and got to the town and saw a bunch more checklists of stuff to do that I wasn’t sure about how to do and called it a night. It’s not bad, but it still feels very early access to me.

I hear there’s a bunch of Youtube tutorial out there and I’ll probably get back to it when I get around to looking at some of those. Or join a public server and learn from people.

Yeah, that game is mainly learn from others. I guess that makes sense, since it is a multi-player game. The crafting pages were confusing until someone helped me out. We should probably have a goon learning day on one of the servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In sales news, A Township Tale, which launched a few days ago, is beating the all powerful Beat Saber on Quest.