Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Rain gear is usually compact and inexpensive. Diversifying your specialized equipment is always better in all walks of life, not just motorcycle clothes

Just ask your neighbor who daily drives a pickup truck in an off chance that they need to bring home a large furniture piece or something. It's a miserable compromise for absolutely no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Klim adventure gtx boots review

I wanted a high boot after latest owning and selling on the sidi adventure 2 mid boots. They where decent in protection and waterproof with the goretex. The fail point was for my use case is that mid length means I jammed a foot peg hard into my right foot just above the boot when my rear slipped into the ditch riding around a not yet melted snow drift.

I've owned some formas, tcx adv and some alpinestars toucans that lasted 2 1/2 year, before sole rim construction poo poo the bed and leaked. Astar warranty is useless after 2 years, didn't find a local cobbler worth his poo poo to fix it.

The klim adventure gtx got a pretty high toe box. Here is compared to klim havoc(winter snow cross) and my brothers current pair of toucans.

Pros:
Waterproof with goretex, tested 5+ hours in rain 2 days in a row now.
Grippy sole, no issues in mud, wet stones, grass, recently washed gas station floor.
Stiff carcass, but good walkability.
Klim warranty.
Wide toe box, not sidi Italian.
Boa laces for adjusting fit.

Cons:
High price
High toe box, you need to adjust the gear lever.
Narrow at the lower shin area, check fit before buying.
Boa laces so you have to consciously set fit each time, not just 3 clasps, done.

Overall, I'll keep them.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

As I'm about to move back home to Canada ( and back to my bike) after two years away in grad school in the US sans bike, I picked up a new GT-Air II to replace my now 7+ year old GT-Air. Nice helmet and I like the integrated sena system.

That said, is there any kind of recycling program that you guys know of for old helmets? I know its too old to wear safely but it seems such a waste to throw it out.

Also I picked up a full Klim Kodiak jacket and pants and for once I can't wait to get out on the bike in an Ontario fall.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy a thermal liner to zip into a Dainese Superspeed Textile jacket? I guess worst case I can just get a thermal layer that I can take off later.

Today was a weird day where it started off 16c but ended up 28 with a lot of sun. I wore my textile jacket for the latter, but about half of the five or six hours in the seat today was done in the former until the sun came out.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That has a zip-out wind liner right? Even if you could find a liner from another Dainese jacket that matched the zips, you'd probably have to find one to buy 3rd party; Dianese doesn't appear to sell liners separately.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, it has the zip-in which is appealing so it doesn't shift around. I'll see if I can find one on the used market maybe, I also don't see anyone selling anything 3rd party. Much as I hate buying used sweaty equipment, this one should be easily washable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why not just wear another piece of clothing underneath, like a sweatshirt or something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No reason other than it’s nice to have it zip in and just have a thermal layer integrated where it’s cooler. Just a nice to have.

Basically the same reason I’d wear the zip-in waterproof layer vs just wearing a water resistant layer underneath I guess.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah my Dainese has a zip-out thermal, and tbh I'm not impressed with the quality. Haven't needed to use it yet but living/camping in the PNW I know a thing or two about staying warm and I don't have high hopes for what they've provided. Save yourself the hassle and just pick up an off-the-shelf midweight wool zip-up or something.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

bizwank posted:

Save yourself the hassle and just pick up an off-the-shelf midweight wool zip-up or something.

Yup, I got like 4 different thickness merino thermal midlayers with zip up neck and same thickness pants. Thinest is ok up to 68f/20cwith some vents open, thickest I run in winter with winter gear down to 0f/-20c.
No "anti bacterial" silver threads whatever plastic based zip in is going to have the insulation properties, even when wet, and not reek day 3 as wool has.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sooo i just got some Dane mesh pants, and holy gently caress. They came with a zipper you can sew onto a jacket without, or with a non-matching zipper!
I think it's so nice of Dane to ship the pants in such a way that you can even use them with a different brand of gear.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My Rev'it Airwave 3 jacket has the same thing but I didn't realize what it was actually for until just now.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bizwank posted:

My Rev'it Airwave 3 jacket has the same thing but I didn't realize what it was actually for until just now.

ya it's nice. sewed it onto my klims for when I want a little more airflow up top offroading but don't want to look too dweeby in motorcycle pants lol

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Picked up some Rokker Riding Chinos on clearance:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rokker-riding-chinos-2019

98% of my riding is commuting and the options for not-jeans riding clothes are very limited, so I was happy to pick these up for a somewhat reasonable price.

They’re very nice, and look better in person than the stock photos. Similar in quality/fit/finish to Epaulet or Unis for those of you who wear fancy chinos to work. $450 is an absurd price in my opinion, but the clearance price puts them around the same as the Tobacco Journeyman pants (which I also have) and they’re definitely a step above those in quality and looks. I haven’t had a chance to test the claimed water resistance or heat blocking yet, but they’re comfy and the mesh lining is unobtrusive. I have no plans to test the abrasion resistance.

Would recommend if you like to ride to work and need to have not-jeans on your legs when you get there.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

How’s the fit on them? I’ve been pretty sure I’d buy Rokker jeans once I figure out if I’m going to keep losing weight or not, but ya price point is definitely a I want to get right thing even if revzilla does returns, still annoying.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

True to size. I wear a 30 waist in nearly everything and these fit perfect.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cheers, thanks! Now to see about that weight thing…

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Dainese Casual Tex pants also fit the criteria of chino style pants with some reasonable protection. They fit pretty much true to size but have almost no stretch at all so they can feel a little tight relative to other options. They feel pretty much like a heavyweight cotton though, not like technical pants.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Nice, I wasn’t aware of those and may pick up a pair in the future to make a complete set of tan/olive/blue boring dad office pants.

I would assume with both those and the Rokker pants you’d be in for some burns if you did any serious sliding on pavement since they’re single layer, but I’m not a materials engineer and don’t know poo poo about Armalith or Schoeller-Dynatec and how they transfer heat (or don’t).

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
What is everyone's favourite "make gear not smell terribly of sweat" spray?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Nofeed posted:

It's possible there is a better answer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

no not really.

Febreeze?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Gorson posted:

Oh, so that is why motorcycling is so expensive :ms:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I use an enzyme based wetsuit cleaner about once a year. The specific one I use isn't made anymore. I fill the tub, pour in the recommended amount of that, a little soap, and let my jacket/pants soak.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm in the market for a new helmet.. I still like my old one but it's a hundred-dollar GLX that's 7 years old and I'm ready to upgrade. I'm looking at modular and ordered a LS2 Valiant II, unfortunately in the wrong size. Before I track down another, any recommendations for a modular helmet sub ~$400? I have a 30 minute highway commute so wind noise suppression would be nice

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Schuberth do good ones that are quiet and modular.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I went from LS2 Valiant to Shuberth C4, it's better in every way. Quieter too. My only regret is getting a version that's wired for their old, lovely rebranded comm insert. Had to rip it all out before installing better hardware. Possibly why these helmets are on often on clearance

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nofeed posted:

I wear a suit often, which you're also not supposed to wash regularly, and I use this in my suits: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OR101M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a cedar-scented alcohol spray. It does a decent job of killing the bacteria that causes odor, just spray the inside of your poo poo down after you take it off. Don't soak what you're wearing, just give it a good spritz, and it'll help keep the stank at bay.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

gently caress, I started looking more and can't find transition pinlocks on the market. This is making me reconsider switching to Arai. Their visors are really easy to switch, but I have been spoiler by transition...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t find one for my Shoei RF1200 in stock, in Canada, for a reasonable amount of money either :(

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

From what I've seen on Revzilla this year bike gear supply in general is extremely hosed up.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

pokie posted:

gently caress, I started looking more and can't find transition pinlocks on the market. This is making me reconsider switching to Arai. Their visors are really easy to switch, but I have been spoiler by transition...

I will probably never not own another arai lol they are just way too good but yeah definitely don't have the visor choices that some of the others (scorpion, shoei, etc) have. if they had a heated visor I could finally ditch my scorpion

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FBS posted:

From what I've seen on Revzilla this year bike gear supply in general is extremely hosed up.

My local Dainese reseller told me they’re still waiting for a glove order to be fulfilled from last October.

This is probably just status quo for the next little while :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took my son MX gear shopping and both the kids and adult sizes are completely picked through. It’s nothing but XXXXL and XXS in both adult and kids with no eta of a restock

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I took my son MX gear shopping and both the kids and adult sizes are completely picked through. It’s nothing but XXXXL and XXS in both adult and kids with no eta of a restock

Been thinking about this, does having an abnormally large (not fat, not skinny tall, just normal shape scaled to 150%) child make that poo poo easier or harder? I've got another year or two until I have to worry about it, but the big bastard is 99th percentile for height and 97th for weight, he's 18mo and wears 3-4yo clothes, I routinely get queried about why he can't talk yet because people think he's three. So it's been on my mind.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

From what I've seen on this year supply in general is extremely hosed up.

FTFY

Everything is a loving mess. Lumber, computer hardware (especially gfx cards), cars, video games, cooking oil, whisky.. And that’s to say nothing of the housing market. Shits bananas.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I was just able to buy the Gore-Tex boots I've had on my Revzilla wish list for almost a year :hellyeah:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I went from LS2 Valiant to Shuberth C4, it's better in every way. Quieter too. My only regret is getting a version that's wired for their old, lovely rebranded comm insert. Had to rip it all out before installing better hardware. Possibly why these helmets are on often on clearance

I want Schuberth's comm insert old (full face) helmets, looks like a doddle to install the comm system, just slot it in!

Tell me (possibly again) why it sucks balls compared to a standard Sena 20S for example that I have on my other helmet?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Speaking of, I've recently started having an issue with my 10S where (I think) the pins on the unit aren't contact the base properly when it's clicked in, leading to loss of volume in one speaker and intermittent microphone operation. It's been slowly going for a while but only this week has it gotten so bad that no amount of prodding it will make it stay in position while riding.

Not sure how to fix it really other than gluing the unit permanently to the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Been thinking about this, does having an abnormally large (not fat, not skinny tall, just normal shape scaled to 150%) child make that poo poo easier or harder? I've got another year or two until I have to worry about it, but the big bastard is 99th percentile for height and 97th for weight, he's 18mo and wears 3-4yo clothes, I routinely get queried about why he can't talk yet because people think he's three. So it's been on my mind.

Buddy, are you me? Because you just described my son to a T, except mine is 9 years old and people wonder why that 14 year old acts like a 9 year old. But I got the same poo poo when he was a baby “oh he doesn’t walk yet?” “He doesn’t talk yet?”. Yeah, because he’s half as old as you think he is.

It’s not really easier or harder, they just wear clothes an age level above their own. There is sort of a no mans land between youth and adult sizes that some manufacturers don’t fill well. That’s where my son is and he just has to wear kinda-too-baggy adult size small clothes for now. But even those are sold out in MX gear