Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's also worth pointing out the lovely direct player to player combat is a big issue since like....most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Shinjobi posted:

I think it's also worth pointing out the lovely direct player to player combat is a big issue since like....most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether.

I do think they should improve ship to ship combat somehow. Boarding is cool and good but the fact that it simply must be done in order to win a fight is kind a bummer.

Not sure how to improve that off the top of my head but the must be a way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hilariously enough I think they need to go back to the original mermaid spawn rate--didn't you have to wait longer/move farther away to get them to spawn originally?

Could be wrong, but if so it might help just a little bit. Harder to gamble on being away from the ship that long if you leave it exposed or undermanned for too long.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Skyarb posted:

I literally can't explain this to you if you can't listen. The tone and presence of the game would be forever changed if they added this. Yes players are often leery of other ships but we also don't always assume hostilities. Sure more often then not they are hostile but I'll take that over they are always hostile because anyone who doesn't want to be hostile will be playing passive mode. It's just a deathmatch at that point, the arena with extra steps.

For the "audience they aren't catering to" I'd stop playing immediately if they made that change. Why is your want more important than mine?
Y'all have yet to show how it's different now. Any time i see someone I get attacked, maybe because I'm solo in a sloop. So when you talk about how you're wary, literally nothing would change. Y'all act like the passive mode means the quests are getting ripped out or that others aren't like minded like you and want the thrill.

And having more audience means the devs aren't as piecemeal since they have a bigger audience to cater to. Oh no, rpers started showing up! Now the dev has to make more variants of clothing than before, game ruined.

So yeah, why is your want more important then mine? I spend money on a bunch of their other products, they don't want it now?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Shinjobi posted:

Hilariously enough I think they need to go back to the original mermaid spawn rate--didn't you have to wait longer/move farther away to get them to spawn originally?

Could be wrong, but if so it might help just a little bit. Harder to gamble on being away from the ship that long if you leave it exposed or undermanned for too long.

I also think they need to get rid of reviving. Killing someone with a cannonball is more or less meaningless now if he isn't solo.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

That really isn't true. Boarding is necessary a lot of the time, but I'd argue that the naval combat is more important than hand to hand.

PvE servers that aren't really limited (like, no progression) kill the PvP side of the game. Why would anyone be a target if they didn't have to be? You might think that's great but, to me at least, this would be a far worse game if I didn't have to be constantly listening, and scanning the horizon.

This guy nails it, I think: https://youtu.be/didppikSbNQ

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

Y'all have yet to show how it's different now. Any time i see someone I get attacked, maybe because I'm solo in a sloop. So when you talk about how you're wary, literally nothing would change. Y'all act like the passive mode means the quests are getting ripped out or that others aren't like minded like you and want the thrill.

And having more audience means the devs aren't as piecemeal since they have a bigger audience to cater to. Oh no, rpers started showing up! Now the dev has to make more variants of clothing than before, game ruined.

So yeah, why is your want more important then mine? I spend money on a bunch of their other products, they don't want it now?

My want isn't more important than yours. Neither is yours mine. However I want to play the game as it's designed and you want to play an entirely different game for no reason other than "I want this thing".

I'm sorry anytime you see someone you are attacked. While that is the case for me probably more often than not, it also often is not.

Also this game has 20k players on steam right now, is free on game pass, has cross play with consoles and just got a deal with Disney. I think they're doing fine. Games don't need to stretch themselves thin to appeal to every audience. Let other people like things the way they are. Stop trying to shift this games dynamic. If they made a sea of thieves clone that was only PvE I wouldn't go into that thread saying the devs better implement PvP!

This game is about tenuous truces, backstabbing, and pirating. The change your asking for would categorically change all of that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That really isn't true. Boarding is necessary a lot of the time, but I'd argue that the naval combat is more important than hand to hand.

PvE servers that aren't really limited (like, no progression) kill the PvP side of the game. Why would anyone be a target if they didn't have to be?

So how can can everyone be so vocal about how awesome the game is the way it is, when all it takes is an option for them to admit they would use passive mode?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Tbh I think the new Disney tall tales are garbo and don’t really care to sit there on a rail while I listen to/watch memorable clips from the movies or see the ride rehashed in the engine.

No I am not a bitter human being why do you ask?

(I wanted something new with the IP is al…

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Skyarb posted:

This game is about tenuous truces, backstabbing, and pirating. The change your asking for would categorically change all of that.

Literally nothing would change for the majority of players, you just won't meet everyone now.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

So how can can everyone be so vocal about how awesome the game is the way it is, when all it takes is an option for them to admit they would use passive mode?

I don't think the people asking for a passive mode are the same ones saying that the game is awesome as it is.

If you think that's what I'm saying you're very much mistaken

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't think the people asking for a passive mode are the same ones saying that the game is awesome as it is.

If you think that's what I'm saying you're very much mistaken
That's exactly it, so what you said makes no sense.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

PvE servers that aren't really limited (like, no progression) kill the PvP side of the game. Why would anyone be a target if they didn't have to be?
Literally the point for the people asking, like me. I'm not asking to change the economy, make different quests, or anything else, just make me invisible to other players while i putt around reading maps.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

bushisms.txt posted:

Developers are very much hamstrung by the tendency of players to ruin their own fun. If you leave in a way to play that is mega boring but completely safe, accidentally or by design, a huge number of players will do only that to the exclusion of all else. Then hilariously many of them will complain that the game is boring. I know this is the tendency of many people and I will readily admit that I am one of them. I play Sea of Thieves almost 100% PVE and I will completely agree that adding safe zones, PVE flags or other stuff like that to the game would change it fundamentally and not for the better. Half the fun of the game, even for someone like me who is a 50/50% solo or duo slooping prey ship, is the constant pressure and tension of watching for and outmaneuvering other ships. And truthfully, once you get your head wrapped around the game, it isn't that hard to avoid getting ganked most of the time. I think it's fine that you don't like the game. Sounds like it's not for you. But I agree that it would be better to find something similar like, I don't know Atlas or something, rather than change a game that's already fun and offers something unique.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I had the insiders version, I was way into the game, I just got tired of getting ganked at the end of every quest. If they wanted it not to be a solo experience, they shouldn't have it as an option, but as it is, unless you don't care about how your time is spent, you're at the mercy of the game. Which is why i uninstalled.

Wasn't trying to start something, I'll back out now.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

That's exactly it, so what you said makes no sense.

Literally the point for the people asking, like me. I'm not asking to change the economy, make different quests, or anything else, just make me invisible to other players while i putt around reading maps.

You should read the posts you're responding to before just mashing the keyboard in anger. You're incoherent.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Developers are very much hamstrung by the tendency of players to ruin their own fun. If you leave in a way to play that is mega boring but completely safe, accidentally or by design, a huge number of players will do only that to the exclusion of all else. Then hilariously many of them will complain that the game is boring.

Exactly.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 19, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am just trying to figure out when you guys play because I play pretty often and non-consensual pvp occurs maybe 2% of my game time/session plays.

Like y’all are talking as if it’s every time you log in. Does it happen? Yeah sure, but I have ran lots of vaults or sunken ships or ghost fleets and almost never have an issue.

In fact, the only time I get ganked is when I play a reaper and I am not even hunting other ships.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

running commodities doesnt seem to make much sense gold-wise. too bad really

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

punishedkissinger posted:

running commodities doesnt seem to make much sense gold-wise. too bad really

Get a full emissary flag and it's actually super duper profitable

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

Literally nothing would change for the majority of players, you just won't meet everyone now.

I mean, maybe?

In a game like Elite where the option to go into solo mode at any time exists, the only people who do PvP are excessive try hards who are complete assholes. Now granted in that game, you have progressive upgrades that make you better than other ships by sheer numbers which isn't the case in SoT but what happens is the only people who play open are people who either don't care or want to be a jerk.

I don't know that passive would kill the game but there's got to be a granular scale of player choices. If players want to progress they would play passive and if they want to fight they'd play PvP, the end result of which is a pretty big change in stakes. Because now I dont sail in circles looking for a fight; I tend to do pve content until I encounter a player and then enter the negotiate-or-fight cycle.

Branching pvp into its own mode would mean players only join pvp when they feel like fighting, and passive when they feel like progressing. That is not how things are right now at all. Players are not on the whole 100% pvp or 100% pve, though individuals might be. Some players enjoy pvp like, 3/4 or 1/4 or whatever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DeadlyMuffin posted:

PvE servers that aren't really limited (like, no progression) kill the PvP side of the game. Why would anyone be a target if they didn't have to be? You might think that's great but, to me at least, this would be a far worse game if I didn't have to be constantly listening, and scanning the horizon.

This guy nails it, I think: https://youtu.be/didppikSbNQ

Your first part is your opinion, the second has nothing to do with what I am complaining about. Ship to ship is background action while the majority of encounters come down to "can I get on board and drop their anchor?" The majority of crews I encounter in a scrap shoot a few cannonballs but otherwise wait to see if the anchor drops before they unload. The exception would be the chainshot, which I think has been a really good addition to ship combat.

I am only asking for tall tales to be consistent. Either instance them or don't; if you're going to mix and match moving forward I just won't bother since other players on this game are hell.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the tall tales should pay better too. 5k is just nothing.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Honestly even though I often ask people to stop attacking me when I have lots of treasure, I usually relish getting attacked on the open sea because the tension of that is what the game is all about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I like the sheep with the wolves aspect because MMOs went way downhill after Ultima Online and this is one of the few games to capture that again.

I like the PVP but I never instigate but I'd also find it super boring if I was just killing skeletons with nothing else because it's trivial. I like that I could get hosed up or just the apprehension when I see some sails in the distance.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Your first part is your opinion, the second has nothing to do with what I am complaining about. Ship to ship is background action while the majority of encounters come down to "can I get on board and drop their anchor?" The majority of crews I encounter in a scrap shoot a few cannonballs but otherwise wait to see if the anchor drops before they unload. The exception would be the chainshot, which I think has been a really good addition to ship combat.

Isn't this just your opinion? Where are you getting "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether"?

I play this game an embarrassing amount, doing a lot of PvP, and occasionally watch streamers too. I don't see what you're describing.

Shinjobi posted:

other players on this game are hell.

Maybe you have a bit of a bias here.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Isn't this just your opinion? Where are you getting "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether"?

I play this game an embarrassing amount, doing a lot of PvP, and occasionally watch streamers too. I don't see what you're describing.

Maybe you have a bit of a bias here.

Though I don't agree with all of what he has said, as a solo slooper, the #1 way with a bullet I sink ships is boarding. I get a couple holes in their hull, maybe a mast down, then board, kill and firebomb. Its much much mroe effective than focussing purely on ship to ship combat.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The addition of seasons mostly got rid of my complaints about the game. I can play for a little while and still get SOMETHING. Losing loot sucks, but the PvP battles are way more interesting and exciting than the PvE content.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Give them a PVE mode. No commendations awarded and 1/10 the gold reward.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Though I don't agree with all of what he has said, as a solo slooper, the #1 way with a bullet I sink ships is boarding. I get a couple holes in their hull, maybe a mast down, then board, kill and firebomb. Its much much mroe effective than focussing purely on ship to ship combat.

I used to solo sloop a lot, and I get what you're saying. Most of the time now I'm on a brig or galleon, and boarding is important but has to be coupled with good naval combat beforehand to get a sink. A good crew can keep a ship afloat even with a ton of holes, and so they need to be disrupted by a boarder or blunders or cursed cannonballs. But unless you're boarding en mass and spawn camping them until fire sinks the ship or they scuttle, you really need to get a bunch of holes in them first.

I'm not saying boarding isn't important or even crucial, I'm saying "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether" does not match my experience at all.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

the tall tales should pay better too. 5k is just nothing.

I agree, but with checkpoints farming completions is way too easy. I'd like a reward bump too, but they'd have to fix this issue.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I used to solo sloop a lot, and I get what you're saying. Most of the time now I'm on a brig or galleon, and boarding is important but has to be coupled with good naval combat beforehand to get a sink. A good crew can keep a ship afloat even with a ton of holes, and so they need to be disrupted by a boarder or blunders or cursed cannonballs. But unless you're boarding en mass and spawn camping them until fire sinks the ship or they scuttle, you really need to get a bunch of holes in them first.

I'm not saying boarding isn't important or even crucial, I'm saying "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether" does not match my experience at all.

Yeah true, you really can't skip naval combat. Though sometimes you can with a well placed keg. Which is my absolute favorite, but it's very rare.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Yeah true, you really can't skip naval combat. Though sometimes you can with a well placed keg. Which is my absolute favorite, but it's very rare.

Mine too!!!! I get to do it do rarely because it's such a bad idea to sail around with kegs.

I got lucky yesterday and there just happened to be barrels and a keg on my swim towards an enemy ship. Made my night.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Mine too!!!! I get to do it do rarely because it's such a bad idea to sail around with kegs.

I got lucky yesterday and there just happened to be barrels and a keg on my swim towards an enemy ship. Made my night.

Highly, highly recommend rowboat kegging. It is slow, takes time, but no one expects it or sees it coming.

Also stronghold kegs are the stuff of absolute dreams.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Skyarb posted:

Highly, highly recommend rowboat kegging. It is slow, takes time, but no one expects it or sees it coming.

Also stronghold kegs are the stuff of absolute dreams.

What's the best method for pulling this off? I usually end up blowing myself up, which is good for some laughs, but the goal is to survive, sink them, and get their treasure, right?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

What's the best method for pulling this off? I usually end up blowing myself up, which is good for some laughs, but the goal is to survive, sink them, and get their treasure, right?

Mega kegs are tough to survive. Put it on top deck so you can get as far away as possible. Alternatively leave the mega keg in your row boat parked right up next to the ship you want to sink and light it and immediately sword lunge or start swimming away FAST, or leave it in the row boat, swim away and shoot it with a pistol or something from a distance.

Surviving normal kegs is easier. Its pretty easy to get several kegs onto a ship while poeple are distracted if you rowboat in. I'd recommend putting at leave one normal keg on each level and set the fuseo n the top most level so you again have an easier time running from it. Make sure you have food if you take damage. On brigs and galleons if you put a normal keg on on the front of the ship, you can hang out on the back of the ship and take littel to no damage. Also leaving it in the rowboat on the broadside of the ship in question also works with multiple kegs if getting onboard is too risky.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Let me blow your mind after this 50+ post discussion on pvp-vs-pve. There's already a pve mode in this game, and it's called "prefer Xbox players on controllers" (disable crossplay). It's only available on consoles, and the only people who enable it are people who are sick of getting slaughtered by PC players. :smug:

Turns out pvp isn't fun if all your opponents just bunny hop around you and kill you in 3 seconds. You guys thought everyone was just bad at melee fighting in this game, except you?

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Every single pvp encounter I've had with anything bigger than a sloop has come down to angling for a cannon shot to get someone aboard. The sloops are the only exception to the rule, and even then I've seen maybe a handful of duo sloops give it a try.

I typically play this game once a week with a crew of three, maybe some solo slooping on the weekends, and I've watched plenty of streams thanks to the goofy cosmetic handouts they do with Twitch partners. Boarding is a very common tactic and I wish I lived your blessed existence, I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You guys wanting a PvE only mode don't seem to realize how shallow this ocean actually is, without the threat of other players or the nervousness of scanning the horizon and wondering if those are sails or a tower all you are left with is clicking 3 times with your sword per skeleton and then hauling stuff from point A to point B, probably while afk in a straight line to those points and why even put in the effort to adjust the sails, you'll get there eventually and the wind will change later anyway, there is no threat or urgency.

And those wanting a PvE flag that makes you invisible on a server, do you realize there are only like 6 ships per server and if someone gets on wanting to do some PvP and finds a empty server they will quickly lose interest in the game all together?

Though I do think it's a bad design to have elaborate cinematic tall tale segments that take your entire team away from your ship for a long time just to come back and find it was sunk by someone and most of the PvPers would like to fight something besides a empty ship.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
I don't want Sea of Thieves changing, there really is nothing like scanning the horizon for sails as you head back to an outpost with a hold full of loot.

I just want someone to put a different game in this engine. This is hands down the best video game sea, and the sailing around feels great. Maybe a game where you sailed from island to island to attract cute creatures that you then capture for unclear reasons?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I dunno about cute creatures but in a single player version the obvious collectible would be AI crewmates that'd each have different levels of skills/aggressiveness/I'm-gonna-fish-instead-of-listening-to-you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And those wanting a PvE flag that makes you invisible on a server, do you realize there are only like 6 ships per server and if someone gets on wanting to do some PvP and finds a empty server they will quickly lose interest in the game all together?

This is a good point and also the max ship count is low enough that you're not going to constantly be engaged on any way. Even though I don't like hunting people (I love PvPing but only in response) one of my complaints about the game is there aren't enough people per server though I'm weirdo who would kill for a proper MMO with the sea/boat mechanics of this game.