Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

whole community wearing S&M bondage gear out and about sounds great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't understand why anyone would want or agree to live under an HOA.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Americans love big government, but only if it's not democratically elected.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skippy McPants posted:

same but about becoming a cop

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm guessing a motivation for many people is it's one of the more efficient ways to limit your exposure to black people

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FFT posted:

I mean, I get that one. It's an easy road to power over other people for the assholes who're into that kind of thing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's one of the more efficient ways to limit your exposure to black people

Yeah, okay, that tracks. loving up your own life for the chance to hurt minorities is very on-brand for suburbia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFT posted:

When you want to murder adults, children, and dogs with impunity, but are scared that if you enlist, someone might shoot back.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, I get that one. It's an easy road to power over other people for the assholes who're into that kind of thing.
a successful jape!

that's exactly how HOAs continue to exist

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
People who never intend to sell their homes but are constantly concerned over its perceived value.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Inhabitants of the most dominant imperial power are obsessed with exerting power over others for some reason.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People who never intend to sell their homes but are constantly concerned over its perceived value.

Yeah, it's not like your can borrow money based on that perceived value.

For instance, my mom convinced her bank that her house is worth around 1.000.000 dollars (in Denmark, also very rough exchange rate) compared to the around 200.000 she bought it for in 1995. Then she borrowed 400.000 with basically zero interest and no payments. The system is super cool if you're a boomer who bought when I was 6, but less so if you're a millennial. And even less so if you're a millennial whose parents didn't buy a house, or if they disowned you for being gay/elitist/intellectual.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Measuring is either done by tools where the unit is irrelevant because the measurement is whatever the tool said it is. Or measuring is done by approximation and then the unit is best expressed by something everyone understands. Metric units, created from constants in nature are inscrutable values derived from theory and guesstimations. Imperial units are from parts of the human body or things you have lying around your home. In this way they are vastly superior, and in the precision case they are equally useful because again the tool does the measurement for you. The only time metric units are better is when converting between units. Where their arbitrary nature means we can define the unit of volume as exactly 1 to 1 with the unit of length, and also again 1to 1 with density. But once you leave the classroom and teacher is no longer looking over your shoulder to see if you memorized the equation or are cheating on your phone it becomes irrelevant that you need to look up the weird constant to convert between them.
In conclusion; I have a foot, it's close enough. I have no clue how long the prime meridian is or then when I divide that by 10000

Imperial is loving terrible in the kitchen or measuring stuff.

there is nothing useful about measuring things as 3/64s of a quarter of three-thirds of an inch. Fractions should not be in anything done without a computer or calculator, period, there's nothing intuitive about them. My eyes instantly glaze over honestly when I have to read a non-metric measuring tape. How the gently caress is that easier to use? Like sure maybe in construction or engineering or something I don't know, but around the house its not at all useful because "what do you mean the unit with the bigger number is smaller?!"

Same goes for stupid teaspoon, tablespoon three fifthy thirds of a quarter of a pound. gently caress off with that poo poo. Using grams in cooking is easier. I have a lovely scale that will always be there, I dont need any rules of thumb, I can tare it and measure things easily, so just give me the goddamn weight of the recipe items instead of "one well rounded quarter tablespoon" or whatever bullshit.

Oysters Autobio has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Jul 19, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If ur making edibles you have to measure in metric

This says a lot about our society

Now please let the topic die or I will begin posting increasingly deranged hot takes on the subject

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
People who grew up with imperial find inches something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with metric find centimetres something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with significant lead contamination argue that since they find inches easier to visualise inches must be some form of platonic ideal measurement perfectly suited to the human form.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Splicer posted:

People who grew up with imperial find inches something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with metric find centimetres something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with significant lead contamination argue that since they find inches easier to visualise inches must be some form of platonic ideal measurement perfectly suited to the human form.

the metric system is superior because my doink is 25.4 millimeters :smug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The mistake in metric was making the gram the weight of 1 mL of water instead of 1 L

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oysters Autobio posted:

Imperial is loving terrible in the kitchen or measuring stuff.

there is nothing useful about measuring things as 3/64s of a quarter of three-thirds of an inch. Fractions should not be in anything done without a computer or calculator, period, there's nothing intuitive about them. My eyes instantly glaze over honestly when I have to read a non-metric measuring tape. How the gently caress is that easier to use? Like sure maybe in construction or engineering or something I don't know, but around the house its not at all useful because "what do you mean the unit with the bigger number is smaller?!"

Same goes for stupid teaspoon, tablespoon three fifthy thirds of a quarter of a pound. gently caress off with that poo poo. Using grams in cooking is easier. I have a lovely scale that will always be there, I dont need any rules of thumb, I can tare it and measure things easily, so just give me the goddamn weight of the recipe items instead of "one well rounded quarter tablespoon" or whatever bullshit.
First: You can express values in decimals. 0.046875 Inches is an acceptable expression of length and you'll find is equally useful as saying 4.6875 milli-inches. That's what makes metric units so awful for aproximation, there is simply one unit, the Meter, which rapidly loses utility which is why they had to create so much shorthand for bunches (or fractions) of meters. The meter is the unit, the kilometer or centimeter is just shorthand that first requires you to have a robotic understanding of the unit.
Second: You mentioned two tools which give you whatever values you need. Who cares what the number is? The recepie could be measured in how far a fart travels after a butterfly flaps its wings, as long as the number on the scale matches the number on the recepie it's fine.

Finally, an infinate lol at "measuring things out to the precise level is easier than just taking out the bigger spoon and takeing a scoop"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Skippy McPants posted:

Depending on where you're looking to live, it can be functionally impossible to buy without being bound by a HOA or condo association. Saying "just buy a house that's not covered by a HOA" can be like saying "just get a job where you make enough money to live." Technically feasible, functionally impossible.

I live in the metro area that produced Shelley v. Kraemer, and our HOA has a new set of covenants that was drafted in 1949, a complete coincidence i'm sure. (Our HOA is - luckily - fine these days. We have a lot of common ground adjoining our property, so I'm glad to not have to deal with it).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Splicer posted:

Counterpoint: The normal curve. The standard deviation in average foot size is small enough that 99% of the peopulation can use their own foot as a foot substitute and still be "close enough"

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Jul 19, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Have you ever had your blood lead level tested?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tokin opposition posted:

If ur making edibles you have to measure in metric

This says a lot about our society
It says that capital has tainted this sacred institution and we should all desire, nay demand that anyone can craft an edible without having to suffer the cost prohibitive barriers to entry of tools that do not already conform to the objects we currently use.

quote:

Now please let the topic die or I will begin posting increasingly deranged hot takes on the subject
Like you're going to not post them anyways about whatever the thread is on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GotLag posted:

Have you ever had your blood lead level tested?

:(

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Nazis used the metric system, and every time someone uses it they're doing a microagression against survivors of the Holocaust

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Counterpoint: The normal curve. The standard deviation in average foot size is small enough that 99% of the peopulation can use their own foot as a foot substitute and only be "close enough"

Counter-counterpoint: I have size 12 UK feet so pretty much exactly a foot, but I don't think I've ever used it to measure anything. And smaller sizes are related to the standard 12 via subtraction of barleycorn units, which is pretty lol no matter which side you're taking

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Failed Imagineer posted:

Counter-counterpoint: I have size 12 UK feet so pretty much exactly a foot, but I don't think I've ever used it to measure anything. And smaller sizes are related to the standard 12 via subtraction of barleycorn units, which is pretty lol no matter which side you're taking

UK? You mean a metric hellworld where they cucked you so hard that you were given a gold standard measuring device but any time you want to measure something you have to find or purchase another device?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The only thing the metric system is better at is measuring how big a lib you are since it's all arbitrary rules that require you to buy stuff to understand. It's literally a market solution to measurements when you already have two loving feet!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

UK? You mean a metric hellworld where they cucked you so hard that you were given a gold standard measuring device but any time you want to measure something you have to find or purchase another device?

I don't really know what any of this means or what it has to do with cuckoldry, also I'm not from the UK

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't really know what any of this means or what it has to do with cuckoldry, also I'm not from the UK

Then use your feet and not a ruler.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

imperial and other customary units are great when you need to divide things and want a complete fraction. metric is poo poo once division comes into play

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

No, that would be cucked as gently caress

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Imperial was invented by the barefoot is legal people

And I support it

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Pull up thread

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BonHair posted:

Yeah, it's not like your can borrow money based on that perceived value.

I was going to make a joke about why would retirees need to be taking out bank loans, but it's the US. They probably need to take out a loan just to buy bandaids.

HootTheOwl posted:

First: You can express values in decimals. 0.046875 Inches is an acceptable expression of length and you'll find is equally useful as saying 4.6875 milli-inches. That's what makes metric units so awful for aproximation, there is simply one unit, the Meter, which rapidly loses utility which is why they had to create so much shorthand for bunches (or fractions) of meters. The meter is the unit, the kilometer or centimeter is just shorthand that first requires you to have a robotic understanding of the unit.

Seriously dude, get your blood lead levels checked out because that's just embarrassing.

Metric uses variations based on simple orders of magnitude. If I want to approximate something, I'll say "about 3cm". If I want half that, I'll say 1½cm.

I'll never have to worry (or care) if the 7/32nds socket is smaller than the 9/23rds socket when I'm working on my car.

What's the next socket up from the 10mm one? It's the 11mm one.

Imagine having to remember all those loving fractions and doing maths any time you want to tighten a bolt.

quote:

here is simply one unit, the Meter, which rapidly loses utility which is why they had to create so much shorthand for bunches (or fractions) of meters.

Totally unlike and inferior to Imperial with its inches, feet, yards, fathoms, nautical miles, fluid ounces, long tons, barleycorns, grains, stones, carats, dram, pennyweights, fluid drams, bushels, packs, quarts, gallons, furlongs, rods, cords and et loving cetera.

EDIT for extra lol:

Sure is such a bother to use metric and not the inhaled lead as a child standard.

How many leagues to a spindle? Yeah, work that out in under 20 minutes and without a calculator.

Fake edit:

HootTheOwl posted:

The only thing the metric system is better at is measuring how big a lib you are since it's all arbitrary rules that require you to buy stuff to understand. It's literally a market solution to measurements when you already have two loving feet!

just lol

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Jul 19, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GotLag posted:

The mistake in metric was making the gram the weight of 1 mL of water instead of 1 L

Why? 1 kg (1000 gram) of water is one liter (or 1000 mL). Your proposal doesn't make much sense.

That's the beauty of the metric system, everything is easily convertible because there are no weird in-between measuring systems!

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Jul 19, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/steverousseau/status/1417117195637862404?s=21

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

you are so wonderfully precious

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HootTheOwl posted:

Counterpoint: The normal curve. The standard deviation in average foot size is small enough that 99% of the peopulation can use their own foot as a foot substitute and still be "close enough"
Assuming you're a caucasian male of above average height. And if you are three shoe lengths is "close enough" to a meter.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Pull up thread
How high?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My feet aren't even close to being one foot long, and I'd say most people don't have feet that long.

Being able to approximate weight pretty easily and compare things sold at the supermarket without doing unintuitive conversions is one of the huge advantages of the metric system in daily life. Imperial is great for capitalists, because it makes products and their prices harder to compare.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 14:54 on Jul 19, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Seriously dude, get your blood lead levels checked out because that's just embarrassing.
Metric uses variations based on simple orders of magnitude. If I want to approximate something, I'll say "about 3cm". If I want half that, I'll say 1½cm.
You could easily do this for any unit. It's irrelevant and it's really comical because:

quote:

I'll never have to worry (or care) if the 7/32nds socket is smaller than the 9/23rds socket when I'm working on my car.

What the next socket up from the 10mm? It's the 11mm one.

Imagine having to remember all those loving fractions and doing maths any time you want to tighten a bolt.
So which is it? Dividing meters by 1000, good, but dividing inches by 32 bad?
There's no reason why you can't just come up with an abreviation for half inches, quarter inches, eighth inches, ect. The only time using powers of 10 is easier is if you're converting between them but you shouldn't If you're so worried about being too dumb to understand your socket wrench set that's kinda the point ain't it? That units should be measured in easy to understand terms. How is your socket wrench set any worse if instead of saying 1/8 it says 1ei. Or does it have to be mm because your love the candy and you need to think of candy or you won't tighten the bolt?

quote:

Totally unlike and inferior to Imperial with its inches, feet, yards, fathoms, nautical miles, fluid ounces, long tons, barleycorns, grains, stones, carats, dram, pennyweights, fluid drams, bushels, packs, quarts, gallons, furlongs, rods, cords and et loving cetera.
Wow, having different units to measure different things is good actually. Instead of trying to shoe-horn everything into whatever power of ten you think is most useful in the moment.

quote:

How many leagues to a spindle? Yeah, work that out in under 20 minutes and without a calculator.
Who cares? Units fall out of favor and that you don't know what a league or spindle is means we shouldn't use them. That's the point, units people can't understand like leagues and spindles are bad and ones people can easily like feet and inches are good.
Or in your terms: How many meters to an AU? Why would you calculate between this in any aplication where you wouldn't have a calculator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Wow, having different units to measure different things is good actually. Instead of trying to shoe-horn everything into whatever power of ten you think is most useful in the moment.

It's really dumb and makes things very hard to compare.