Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just dungeoncrawl the plane, geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Anyhow I really like this game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

If one can design a fun tactical subsystem for "hit people with weapons until they die " one can surely do the same for "escape from this collapsing building" or "stop this plane from crashing"

You might get bored of escaping from collapsing buildings after a few sessions though. Also it sounds like an insurance nightmare.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
We had our first in-person session today since the pandemic began, and it was lovely. I know this is a controversial opinion, but rolling dice with friends is pretty great.
https://twitter.com/pangolinart/status/1416901924071350276

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Halloween Jack posted:

If one can design a fun tactical subsystem for "hit people with weapons until they die " one can surely do the same for "escape from this collapsing building" or "stop this plane from crashing"

D&D and the typical RPG is about as abstracted from actual combat you could probably reskin the system more as being about search and rescue or putting out a fire and have it work about about as well.
"Roll dice for accuracy of effort, roll again for potency, there are mitigating factors like the hazard you're trying to remove, and players have resources/moves that change the playing field"
We could just as easily have combat represented by single skill checks or feats, the same way an adventurer being a singer or good cook is in most hack and slash rpgs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There are plenty of board games with non violent tasks as the goal that could be mined for RPG's. Hell, one of them, Outdoor Survival, is mentioned in the very first D&D book ever, though admittedly its just a suggestion that you steal the map. People have been making games about stuff other than violence for a long drat time.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

One of the FATE world books has an entire setting about being fire fighters with a set of rules for fighting fires.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's called Fight Fire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's been a couple of video games about firefighters. I remember one arcade game with the big hose prop, of course, and The Firemen on the SNES. (which got a Japan-only sequel apparently)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Angrymog posted:

One of the FATE world books has an entire setting about being fire fighters with a set of rules for fighting fires.

Specifically, you fight fires by attacking a zone aspect called On Fire, which uses its own skills to sow confusion and fight back.

It's a functional rule set and a complaint about how everybody's go-to example for creating an advantage is setting somebody On Fire, even though that's a terrible example aspect because it's heavy with implications that most CAA aspects don't have to worry about.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Fire fighting would be a cool theme for a Pandemic type run-around co-op board game. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been done already though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GetDunked posted:

Fire fighting would be a cool theme for a Pandemic type run-around co-op board game. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been done already though.

It's called Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Enjoy your not surprise!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Flashpoint was pretty fun the one time I played it.

The digital version was also in the itch bundle for racial equality, if you got that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really enjoyed Flash Point fwiw. The mechanics make it a pretty great co-op for 2 players, but I haven't tried it with more.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Double post but this is probably the best place for it:

Are pop culture references getting jammed into otherwise serious material more frequently now? Twice recently I've found utterly stupid poo poo shoehorned into Mörk Börg supplements: Forbidden Psalm had a wacky chart of tone-shredding silly poo poo, and Börk Morgue 666 has this whole thing:

It's babbys first satire and it's cringe af.

Why is this happening? Who wanted this? Whose game is made better by putting the goddamn proud boys and MAGA crowd and a cheap shot at McDonald's into a fantasy setting?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Glorantha had extended jokes about bay area pop culture, that kind of junk is more baked into TTRPGs than rolling dice.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think I'm finally broken.

A Pathfinder 2e adventure path - ie, a game with effective and interesting tactical combat rules - covers a fighting tournament - ie, something that you would think would be effective for exprimentation with exactly those rules.. and the first adventure is so full to the gills with unchangeable events and necessary fudging that it does nothing but shove the whole system up its own backside.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hyphz posted:

A Pathfinder 2e adventure path - ie, a game with effective and interesting tactical combat rules - covers a fighting tournament - ie, something that you would think would be effective for exprimentation with exactly those rules.. and the first adventure is so full to the gills with unchangeable events and necessary fudging that it does nothing but shove the whole system up its own backside.

That sounds like the path is broken.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Welcome to Pathfinder!

It has nothing to do with paths.

It has nothing to do with finders.

It has everything to do with hurting.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

moths posted:

Are pop culture references getting jammed into otherwise serious material more frequently now? Twice recently I've found utterly stupid poo poo shoehorned into Mörk Börg supplements: Forbidden Psalm had a wacky chart of tone-shredding silly poo poo, and Börk Morgue 666 has this whole thing:

Why is this happening? Who wanted this? Whose game is made better by putting the goddamn proud boys and MAGA crowd and a cheap shot at McDonald's into a fantasy setting?

I dunno, they’re posted as antagonists, and dismembering MAGAchuds and Proud Boys sounds like a good time to me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

moths posted:

Horrible typesetting, horrible graphical and game design, horrible hackneyed political discourse out of 2016, sounds like a real winner of a game here!

Gatto Grigio posted:

I dunno, they’re posted as antagonists, and dismembering MAGAchuds and Proud Boys sounds like a good time to me.

lmfao

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
My first new project... in frankly too long is finally out. Check out The Final Cathedral at the End of the World on itch.io right now! It's basically a storygame dungeoncrawl where you play as the dungeon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Which would be great in a setting appropriate for that. Jamming McDonald's and Trump fans are bad! into a weird bleak alien fantasy setting feels dated and at the expense of the setting.

It'd be like if Howard had hamfisted some lovely digs at Calvin Coolidge supporters and talkies into Conan.

Plutonis posted:

Horrible typesetting, horrible graphical and game design, horrible hackneyed political discourse out of 2016, sounds like a real winner of a game here!

Yeah the core game is pretty artsy but the 3rd party stuff I've seen is uniformly awful.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It isn't political but basically every PbtA game I've looked at names half their moves with nerd injokes and quotes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It isn't political but basically every PbtA game I've looked at names half their moves with nerd injokes and quotes.

Grim!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's actually good, because nerd injokes FTW.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That sounds like a fun contest/trivia idea - guess the year this game was written in based on incidentals in the text.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

That sounds like a fun contest/trivia idea - guess the year this game was written in based on incidentals in the text.

Had that thought while reading the Locked Tomb books, actually - it's impressive how you could go in blind and date them down to the year just off of the internet references in them. Especially the second book (I honestly never expected a "none pizza, left beef" reference to not only make it into a published book but actually flow in dialogue but here we are). Doing it with RPGs sounds fun too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hyphz posted:

I tried the Pathfinder adventure path where you run a circus and it was basically just stumbling between uninteresting combat encounters with rare, unimpactful perform checks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Had that thought while reading the Locked Tomb books, actually - it's impressive how you could go in blind and date them down to the year just off of the internet references in them. Especially the second book (I honestly never expected a "none pizza, left beef" reference to not only make it into a published book but actually flow in dialogue but here we are). Doing it with RPGs sounds fun too.

I really appreciate how the entire second book is literally just a giant (MAJOR SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED) "hi gay I'm dad" joke.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Gort posted:

I tried the Pathfinder adventure path where you run a circus and it was basically just stumbling between uninteresting combat encounters with rare, unimpactful perform checks

Well, yea, that was a disappointment too because I loved the idea, but everyone who played it basically admitted that the circus was an ineffective gimmick that stopped being relevant after about the second book, and also had some groups wondering why a bunch of carnies were being asked to save the world. We never played it.

But the dissonance in this one is off the chart. Who the heck writes an adventure about a fighting tournament for Pathfinder 2e and gives it rules that don't allow for spell slots?

I mean, running this is going to require at least as much narrative fudging as running an actual nar game, but more because of the predestined outcome and the fact the system doesn't help. And that's in a system and adventure that specifically appeals to people who like crunchy, tactical, deterministic combat.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm convinced that mörk borg content creators don't get the tone of the game at all.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Jail for Tamsyn, for her many referential sins, but she does manage to make it work and I need Alecto.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I need more weird and cool rpgs to impulse purchase and then enver manage to play.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I need more weird and cool rpgs to impulse purchase and then enver manage to play.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/m0i174/ive_made_a_list_of_notable_tabletop_rpg_releases/

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Heart was 2020. Jesus that was a long year.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Heart fuckin rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Right I got Spire, I should get the other stuff.

I'm amd at Fragged Empire being impossible to find.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

potatocubed posted:

I felt the book had detailed and good advice on how to make balanced encounters? Like, it says 'use this many things of this level, this is the sort of thing a threat of this level should do, swap them around like this'.

You are correct. I misspoke, I apologize, I have new-baby-brain. The encounter guidance in Sentinels is rock solid and makes dynamic encounters and I've borrowed the idea of an "environment turn" for other games. I meant that Sentinels has zero guidance on making fun and balanced villains.

Using the villains rules, you can easily make a villain who is a walking TPK, a wet paper bag, or worst of all, a total slog who isn't actually that much of a threat to the PCs but drags on forever. And it's not immediately clear to the GM (to me, when I was GMing, at least) which is which even after a few sessions.

theironjef posted:

Honestly I don't think Sentinels is as bad out of combat as the general consensus seems to be. It's like... slightly better than D&D is out of combat, which is awful, but it's also the industry standard.

Anyhow I really like this game.

I still disagree. I think it's trivially easy for a player to end up in a situation where they've got the qualities Deep Space Knowledge, Magical Lore, Acrobatics, and Close Combat, plus their unique Quality, and are attempting to, say, infiltrate a dinner party hosted by the Mayor and the Evil Techno Villain in alter-ego form. And so unless they chose a good unique Quality, they can be kind of screwed. It's a mostly avoidable problem for veteran players or with a watchful GM, but I think it's a very easy trap for players to end up with Qualities that suck outside of combat.

I honestly think that the game would be better if you could invoke the Principles as a Quality. I missed the rule about two qualities in lieu of a power (I've run about ten encounters across to groups, pored over the hardback, and the only rule I've noticed is that if you don't have a power or quality that's relevant, tough nuggies, take a d4).

I feel like there are some underlying assumptions pulled through from the Marvel Heroic DNA that got lost in translation to the new mechanic. They're easy fixes, but I think they're rough traps and even after all that work, you're still left with a system where a character might spend half a session rolling the same Quality+Power set because nothing else applies, which is pretty unsatisfying.

That said, I had a lot of fun with Sentinels, I often recommend it, and I do think it's the best game on the market right now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halloween Jack posted:

The issue is often the number of subsystems in your game. The fewer large, complex, distinct subsystems you need, the better, because getting all those subsystems to work and balancing all of them is an ask. And if your Fight Dr. Mystery subsystem turns out very good and your Rescue People From The Collapsing Building one doesn't work well, you still leave people incentivized to go back to fighting all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CitizenKeen posted:

I still disagree. I think it's trivially easy for a player to end up in a situation where they've got the qualities Deep Space Knowledge, Magical Lore, Acrobatics, and Close Combat, plus their unique Quality, and are attempting to, say, infiltrate a dinner party hosted by the Mayor and the Evil Techno Villain in alter-ego form. And so unless they chose a good unique Quality, they can be kind of screwed. It's a mostly avoidable problem for veteran players or with a watchful GM, but I think it's a very easy trap for players to end up with Qualities that suck outside of combat.

Didn't quote the rest because I largely agree with it. Game's not perfect. But this? Got Magical Lore and can't figure out how to infiltrate a party? Oh hey, I'll roll it to recall a Disguise spell that should work for now, after all, it's just an overcome roll, it's not like I need to now go forth and test my magic disguise over and over. Or honestly I'll just Nightwing in there with all that acrobatics and watch from the rafters. Or beat up a guard and take his outfit. Or surveil the party with a hacked satellite feed(sure this one feels kinda rough, but I wanted to go four for four). The general point here is that the skills in this game are vague for a good reason, so as to allow broad interpretations. At least that's my read on it.

I suppose there's a lot of folks out there who don't like broad interpretation like this, since it lends itself to players just being able to use their best die over and over, and because they enjoy specificity. I've personally got no problem with either, but I can imagine.